• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's missing the main 2 reasons.

What we build today is way more complex than what was built in the past. Any normal house has numerous additional systems that didn't exist 50, 100 or 150 years ago and those that did previously exist are way more complicated now. Our tolerances are stricter now, in terms of safety, comfort, and features and that costs money. We spend our money on what's inside the walls rather than what goes on the outside of the walls.

Skilled construction labor is way more expensive now because much smaller portions of the workforce are involved in these trades and the trades themselves are way more complicated because of the reason above. Less people doing more complicated work means the price has to rise a ton.

Tea and Toast

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any buildings being built today that don't look modern? Is there anyone building Victorian style architecture for example? I'd love to see some examples.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with the premise of the video. I think there's plenty of attractive new buildings being built. Yeah, housing and retail aren't always nice, but there's plenty of examples of modern buildings that look amazing.

Like just here in Kansas City there's the Kauffman Center
Kauffman_Center_for_the_Performing_Arts_%286390756765%29.jpg

Or even Bartle Hall.
LGTS_bartle-pylons-royal-blue-city-inman.jpg

I love older ornate buildings as much as anyone, but I don't think we should discount modern architecture as bland and boring.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I disagree with the premise of the video. I think there's plenty of attractive new buildings being built. Yeah, housing and retail aren't always nice, but there's plenty of examples of modern buildings that look amazing.

Like just here in Kansas City there's the Kauffman Center
Kauffman_Center_for_the_Performing_Arts_%286390756765%29.jpg

Or even Bartle Hall.
LGTS_bartle-pylons-royal-blue-city-inman.jpg

I love older ornate buildings as much as anyone, but I don't think we should discount modern architecture as bland and boring.
The premise of the video is not that pretty buildings aren't built anymore - at the end he even points out three train stations in Budapest and admits he like the most "modern" looking one the best, and he also went over how the modernist architecture included some of the more iconic buildings, not to mention all he says in the changing taste section - it is explicitly about the likes of residential buildings and malls and the reasons behind them.*

* as well as an excuse to rail against capitalism and car-centric urban planning some more, lol

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The ugly buildings and housing for the poor are less likely to still be around. Not everyone lived in ornate buildings in the past either.

Oct 27, 2017
The premise of the video is not that pretty buildings aren't built anymore - at the end he even points out three train stations in Budapest and admits he like the most "modern" looking one the best, and he also went over how the modernist architecture included some of the more iconic buildings, not to mention all he says in the changing taste section - it is explicitly about the likes of residential buildings and malls and the reasons behind them.*

* as well as an excuse to rail against capitalism and car-centric urban planning some more, lol

Yes, he mentions the modern train station he likes at the end of the video, but I don't think that negates him spending the first few minutes talking about how every building now is just bland and featureless, and not just specifically apartments and retail.

I think he also disregards how much people actually do care about how nice the places they shop look. Sure they're not going all out on ornate decorations, but people tend to go to the nicer looking areas, and retail spends tons of money every so many years to update their external appearance. Now I'm not claiming that someplace like Target is a beautiful piece of architecture or anything, but I don't think they're hideous.

I also don't think there's an issue with most places requiring that housing at least have one parking spot per unit. The idea of living in a building that doesn't let me have a vehicle seems absurd.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
My husband watches his videos quite a bit, and yea, he's right when he goes on his car centric rants, and the many ways people try to reinvent trains.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
It's depressing going through US city after US city and observing the same plain and soulless commercial buildings, lined up in a similar fashion. Sometimes, you'll notice the same order of stores lined up. No architectural charm to any of these buildings. Just sucks, man. The only places where you can find some semblance of architectural marvels are in major urban cities in the US or areas in general outside of the US.

Feb 9, 2018
Been subscribed to Adam Something for a number of months now. I like how he dunks on car-centric city design, right-wingers, Elon Musk, and capitalism.

Good video overall. Capitalism's race to the bottom has resulted in much of 21st century architecture looking rather bland and same-y for the sake of profit. Even with our commercial places, just look at how fast food restaurants used to have unique and distinguishable designs, but in recent years they're all just nondescript boxes. You could strip the signage/logos off of a 2020s McDonald's and you'd probably have a hard time telling it apart from a 2020s Wendy's or Pizza Hut. Retail giants have been worse for longer. Big box stores & strip malls have looked meh since my parents were kids, just as dull as the suburban sprawl they were created alongside. Shopping malls probably fared better, though, especially in the 80s & 90s (haven't been in one built within the past 5-10 years).

But as he points out, nice stuff is still being made. Modern architecture is still capable of making visually interesting places, and some places are intentionally built to look retro. A neighborhood development in my hometown was started in the mid 00s and is still under development. It has a lot of architecture that makes it look in many ways like the stuff build around here in the early 20th century, though some of it is more modern. There's even some limited mixed-use development (the first built here since probably before WW2), including these restaurants on one intersection with apartments above them:

Crystal+Lake+Dr+2.jpg

Unlike other neighborhoods here, I actually see people walking around the place (not just passers-by from the surrounding pedestrian/bike trail), because there's actual amenities. Not much (they could use a small grocery store), but it's there. There are no parking minimums, and everything is close to the street instead of being required to have some massive setback (the houses are larger than average, but the lots are smaller, so the houses take up most of the plot). Everything is a good bit denser than the other neighborhoods in town. Sadly, this neighborhood is one-of-a-kind around here, and was built along the riverfront with higher-income families in mind (by local standards, at least; the cheapest houses are over $400k, with some going for over $1M, compared to a bit over $100k for the 1950's vintage house I bought in 2017).

Still, it's a good first step, and there's no reason this has to be limited to some swanky riverfront development. I wish my town would just abolish single-family zoning, double down on the denser mixed-use aspects of that new neighborhood as the new standard, and allow older neighborhoods to have this sort of stuff be built.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I wonder if another reason for the prevalence of the 5 over 1 is that with so many NIMBYS, you have to have a more profitable design to pay for all the environmental and traffic studies you need to get through before building.