• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Well i mean, there's a way to make asspull powers feel awesome, jojo does that a lot, i love Giorno but he really pushes it sometimes xD, but usually you have a cost, or some thought process behind it, but MHA sometimes just goes the "work harder" plus ultra way and it kinda sucks, one for all isnt that interesting either, super strenght is a reason i thought Jotaro was boring af, most of the time he just punched harder and everything worked out (i know he had more than that but im trying to not go spoiler territory here).

There's power fantasy and smart power fantasy, and mha unfortunately falls too much on the first type now fights feel like there's something missing, but if i tell that to my MHA watching friends they just think im being a snob
Fortunately some of the more recent manga developments might remedy the situation, though the community is pretty heavily split on the issue.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
dMwYlu7.gif

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Land of the Lustrous English dub has released and I'm enjoying it even more the second go round. God I miss this feeling.

Last edited:
But even while Yuri on Ice and Osomatsu-kun are great anime
This may be a lonely hill to die on, but apart from its super smooth animation, Yuri on Ice is rather painful to watch. I despise this pseudo Shonen Ai thing they are doing. Let them be gay and deal with it properly or don't do it at all. This forced head canon with the subtlety of a sledgehammer feels like added only to sell a few more copys to the girls who scream "kawaii!!" over this. Kinda the equivalent to fanservice shots for boys. Rubbed me totally the wrong way.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
This may be a lonely hill to die on, but apart from its super smooth animation, Yuri on Ice is rather painful to watch. I despise this pseudo Shonen Ai thing they are doing. Let them be gay and deal with it properly or don't do it at all. This forced head canon with the subtlety of a sledgehammer feels like added only to sell a few more copys to the girls who scream "kawaii!!" over this. Kinda the equivalent to fanservice shots for boys. Rubbed me totally the wrong way.
But they are gay, it's not subtle at all. They just didn't go to bed yet, but having a proper romance story between two men that's not some twisted abusive relationship is pretty rare in this genre and yuri's and victor's relationship is really sweet.

Also iirc we'll get a season 2 so

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
YOI isn't even supposed to be BL. It's a sports anime that happens to have a homo romance. I believe this distinction is even some of the reason why the creator had to fight as much as she did to get what she could on screen

It's not about falling in love with someone, find out what the person feels for you and tell "I love you". They treat it even rather jokey and mocking each other. It looks more like a friendship, that goes a little out of hands with unusual gestures like the rings. Their friends seem to be a bit confused by it, but don't comment on it either. I just can't see a proper treatment of a romance here. It's the typical sports anime thing: He looks up to another person, that becomes his coach. And a coach - pupil relationship is something special in itself. I cannot see them as a real gay couple but rather somewhat "fanservicy".
It's even more frustrating because male figure skater always struggle with the stigma of not being manly enough and called gay.
I don't know the manga, I don't now what the intentions were, I can only judge what I saw and that's just the vibe I got from it. :/

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about falling in love with someone, find out what the person feels for you and tell "I love you". They treat it even rather jokey and mocking each other. It looks more like a friendship, that goes a little out of hands with unusual gestures like the rings. Their friends seem to be a bit confused by it, but don't comment on it either. I just can't see a proper treatment of a romance here. It's the typical sports anime thing: He looks up to another person, that becomes his coach. And a coach - pupil relationship is something special in itself. I cannot see them as a real gay couple but rather somewhat "fanservicy".
It's even more frustrating because male figure skater always struggle with the stigma of not being manly enough and called gay.
I don't know the manga, I don't now what the intentions were, I can only judge what I saw and that's just the vibe I got from it. :/
Well you just wrong then. The romance is not even subtle. I swear everytime this argument came up regarding YOI in the end it boil down to "I dont see them fuck tho".

Last edited:

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's the typical sports anime thing: He looks up to another person, that becomes his coach. And a coach - pupil relationship is something special in itself. I cannot see them as a real gay couple but rather somewhat "fanservicy".
But it's really not. Did you finish the anime at all? I find it incredibly difficult to believe anyone who made it past episode 10 can say this in all seriousness, when the twist explains the whole reason for Victor's flirtatious behavior through the earlier episodes.

If it was supposed to be strictly a platonic coach/pupil relationship with the creators insisting they aren't gay then by all intents and purposes you'd have a leg to stand on, but it's just not the case. The creators have never been shy of calling their relationship romantic.

Oct 28, 2017
RE: YoI. Didn't Pichit, who is Yuri's best friend and knows him best, instantly congratulate Victor and Yuri when he saw the rings? I thought that part was sweet and overtly gay, as was the ending scene with the pair skating sequence. In my opinion, nobody would be questioning if this were "really" a love story if either Victor or Yuri were a woman.

I loved YoI and found it to be a heartwarming love story, but I tend to really hate yaoi/yuri anime because of the lack of consent. I recently watched dakaichi and there's a part in the subtitles where the more agressive character even says something like "you always give your consent afterwards"... like, yay, they addressed consent, but that isn't how consent works. I think the same studio made Citrus which has similar consent problems along with the pseudo-incest angle. Massive yikes all around. If anyone has any good queer recs for anime so I can scrub my brain of this garbage, I'm all ears. Though I can't watch anything too gory or horrific/psychological stuff.

I don't really have my eyes on many new or upcoming games with good character designs in them. Picontier and Witchbrook. Maybe Wargroove. Definitely Animal Crossing Switch. Fingers crossed they escape(d) having a ton of stupid design elements. Really trepidatious of Animal Crossing, because they could easily make the character designer completely unproblematic (or at least way less problematic) as seen in Happy Home Designer/Pocket Camp... but will they?

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah i like kissing my friends in the lips too, that's totally a friend thing, just like exchanging wedding rings and moving into their houses and trying to seduce them constantly.

I really think you might be mixing up YoI with Free! D: Victor's quest wasn't of making Yuri just a better skater, it was all about making him be more confident cause he was hot as hell in some party and got him hooked, but when they saw each other again he was a sad sad boy. That's really really sweet, honestly D:

I swear everytime this argument came up regarding YOI in the end it boil down to "I dont see them fuck tho".
And that is a dumb statement, that's definitely not the point. I'm rather missing the persons approaching each other in general, talk to each other about your feelings, to put it simple and may end in "I love you."
Yeah i like kissing my friends in the lips too, that's totally a friend thing, just like exchanging wedding rings and moving into their houses and trying to seduce them constantly.
Actually I don't remember them kissing. o.O There was this scene were he jumped towards him and it was done like they would kiss - but it ended up in a regular hug. And things like that is why I call it just for headcanon. You wouldn't buy rings for someone you haven't really told you liked either I'd say.
Everything Victor does, how he is shown half naked n stuff, he nerver seemed serious to me and thinking really about it. It seemed once again just to be in there for the female audience.
I can't remeber it good enough these days, but all this pushed me in that direction and just lost me at one point.
I really think you might be mixing up YoI with Free! D:
That would one I would mention as a "better" example. You can make them gay in your head, but the anime doesn't really do it. And because it's swimming you have them half naked the whole time anyway. Win win I guess. :P

Well, even if I would aknowledge it as a gay romance, in the end I would still come to the conclusion that it's not done that well for my personal taste.
Color me odd. :O

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I think it might be that your understanding of what a relationship is just might be a bit different from most, at least in the context of the kind of show Yuri on Ice is, Oinone - I don't think it's bad for characters to talk about their feelings, but for the most part the primary motivator behind most sports anime is typically, well, the sport, so much of the show will revolve around that, and some portion will revolve around the relationships as they develop as well. It's sort of like you wouldn't expect a slice-of-life show to be nothing but going out on romantic dates, or a mecha anime to involve nothing but eating food at a mall.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Actually I don't remember them kissing. o.O There was this scene were he jumped towards him and it was done like they would kiss - but it ended up in a regular hug.
People don't react like that to hugs D: but if you want to believe that's bait event though the show makes it as clear as it can that it's not, i can't stop you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
PSO2 is rereleasing outfits from one of the older games in the series, Phantasy Star Zero. Today they showed off an upcoming addition, and it comes with a twist.

PSZ
latest

PSO2
PSzmem.jpg

They cannot even leave alone outfits from their own older games. Who thought turning a somewhat sensible top into one with underboob was a necessary change to make? I swear these people need to be castrated to stop thinking with their dick.

Deleted member 2099

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PSO2 is rereleasing outfits from one of the older games in the series, Phantasy Star Zero. Today they showed off an upcoming addition, and it comes with a twist.

PSZ
latest

PSO2
PSzmem.jpg

They cannot even leave alone outfits from their own older games. Who thought turning a somewhat sensible top into one with underboob was a necessary change to make? I swear these people need to be castrated to stop thinking with their dick.

Sigh, I'm into games where you can create your own character and customize them to the fullest. As well as character classes and builds around them... and I've always wanted to play PSO2, if it were to ever release and localize into the US... but it's things like this that makes me upset, angry, and even thankful that it isn't out anywhere else in the world but in their very perverted homeland. I'd still like to play it, but only when localized correctly, without the language barrier, without the sexualized waifu designs, etc etc.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PSZ
latest

PSO2
PSzmem.jpg

I played PSO2 for a good bit, and I'm really not at all surprised to see this. Disappointed, absolutely, but they leaned hard into this junk from the word go. If I recall, it was all behind gacha as well, so I can't imagine they've let up on it.

I am still mad when I remember what they did to Alis.

ss_character09_01wkjyl.jpg

A421

Jan 8, 2018
PSO2 is nothing but cheap crossovers and revealing armor.

It's a shame people who love PS or PSO feel like they are missing out on anything imo

(PSOBB is the way to go baby)

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Dead or Alive is so frustrating. There's a half decent fighting game that I actually kind of like underneath all of the garbage, and yet they keep insisting on doubling down on this shit.

And calling them breast physics at this point is more than a bit generous, lol.

I dont see any problem with sexy things being confined to sexy games, though. Like, DOA has earned its reputation, everyone knows what it is, so whats the matter with doubling down in that case?

The constant, non-stop sexualizing of women in every single game is the issue, not the fact that women are sometimes sexualized. Even in a perfect world theres still going to be media with conventionally attractive women in skimpy outfits falling into a ballpit filled with oil coated balloons or something. It just wont be accepted as normal and expected in everything.

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone has any good queer recs for anime so I can scrub my brain of this garbage, I'm all ears. Though I can't watch anything too gory or horrific/psychological stuff.

These folks seem to be in just that business. I've heard Bloom Into You was good.

Finally picked up a copy of Death Mark for the Switch. I'm enjoying it, overall, but it's another example of titillation detracting from horror. Sexuality and horror can mix. Eroticism and horror has its own niche. I'm halfway through the game and there have been three or four scenes where what's framed as a scary scene involves showing off a woman's bared, voluptuous, posed body. If you wanna have titty, then keep the titty separate from the scary.

Titillation doesn't work with horror. That's why it's most prevalent in only cheesy slasher movies that lean less on actual horror in favor of tension, jump scares, and gore.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm replaying Persona 5....Jesus Christ this game really didn't have anyone telling the director how creepy it is for having the first palace being all about how sexual harassment is wrong and despicable...only to immediately turn around and have an entire "comedy" sequence all about how the same girl who was traumatized over it is going to have to pose nude as a "distraction". Like...seriously.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Persona 5 is just written really poorly generally. The game's music is really great and the UI is quite impressive but the designs have quite a few problems and the writing is just... ugh.

Kinda feel like anyone that can't make it as a writer elsewhere ends up as a game writer. That's my head canon anyway.

CarbonKamel

Jan 6, 2019
I dont see any problem with sexy things being confined to sexy games, though. Like, DOA has earned its reputation, everyone knows what it is, so whats the matter with doubling down in that case?

The constant, non-stop sexualizing of women in every single game is the issue, not the fact that women are sometimes sexualized. Even in a perfect world theres still going to be media with conventionally attractive women in skimpy outfits falling into a ballpit filled with oil coated balloons or something. It just wont be accepted as normal and expected in everything.
Ya, having a game be the "SEXY GAME" is something I'm fine with because at the very least it's honest in what it's selling. It's the absurd fan service in content I'm trying to enjoy normally that pisses me off

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
lol, guess that's true

Still, I feel like it can't be that difficult to at least have some shred of common sense. That's the thing making so much of game writing so baffling. It just defies even basic reasoning at such a fundamental level that it always hits that impossibly crazy level way too quickly and way too often.

I guess the other possibility is, much like most entertainment industries, nobody hires a script editor, whose job is pretty much entirely to scrub the stupid out (strong suspicion these don't even exist in video games).

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, I'm replaying Persona 5....Jesus Christ this game really didn't have anyone telling the director how creepy it is for having the first palace being all about how sexual harassment is wrong and despicable...only to immediately turn around and have an entire "comedy" sequence all about how the same girl who was traumatized over it is going to have to pose nude as a "distraction". Like...seriously.

It honestly feels like a blind spot on part of its writer. Persona 5 is a rare game to actually talk about sexual assault and then have almost nothing to say about it... But tight kitty spandex.

Kanji wanted to feel comfortable questioning the feelings he had... So let yosuke knock him down a bit, that's funny....or something. :/

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
It honestly feels like a blind spot on part of its writer. Persona 5 is a rare game to actually talk about sexual assault and then have almost nothing to say about it... But tight kitty spandex.

Kanji wanted to feel comfortable questioning the feelings he had... So let yosuke knock him down a bit, that's funny....or something. :/
At least Kanji called Yosuke out for the popsicle stuff...P5 just rolled with it.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
lol, guess that's true

Still, I feel like it can't be that difficult to at least have some shred of common sense. That's the thing making so much of game writing so baffling. It just defies even basic reasoning at such a fundamental level that it always hits that impossibly crazy level way too quickly and way too often.

I guess the other possibility is, much like most entertainment industries, nobody hires a script editor, whose job is pretty much entirely to scrub the stupid out (strong suspicion these don't even exist in video games).
There's an early scene in Kingdom Hearts 3 between two characters that's supposed to be emotional, as one struggles to recall a forgotten friend...but it just comes across as a twentysomething guy being incredibly creepy towards a fifteen year-old girl. Like, did no one pick up on that?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

It's kind of like how Netflix's 13 Reasons Why is a show about suicide and sexual assault, and the writers want to raise awareness of these issues but the execution is horrible which makes it worse.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
lol, guess that's true

I've seen so many interviews with people outright admitting to making creative decisions based on things that turn them on that I get the feeling that they just aren't thinking period.

I kinda wish we knew more about the writing process in Japanese RPGs to know how things like that could even happen in the first place. Like, Final Fantasy 6 and 7 are the only ones I know of where there's even been information about specific writers' contributions.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Hmm, Osomatsu-kun and Yuri on Ice were interesting to watch (Karamatsu-kun best matsu), but yeah, animation quality seemed to jump to western animation these days while Japanese animation keeps pandering to otaku for worse.

That being said, there are a few anime here and there I do watch and find decent. But yeah, there's none that really stick out to me, especially of the 13-26 episode variety.
Animation quality? May I introduce you to this gentle little psychic boy?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an early scene in Kingdom Hearts 3 between two characters that's supposed to be emotional, as one struggles to recall a forgotten friend...but it just comes across as a twentysomething guy being incredibly creepy towards a fifteen year-old girl. Like, did no one pick up on that?

I mean, to be fair, stilted awkward dialogue that no person would say and said in a manner more akin to a robot trying to imitate feelings is pretty standard for this series so perhaps it's not surprising that no one picked up on it.

It's so weird, the entire game is about rebelling against apathy...yet everything involved outside the game (and within it) is all about not changing anything (or even pandering more to the apathetic state of fandom).

I've seen so many interviews with people outright admitting to making creative decisions based on things that turn them on that I get the feeling that they just aren't thinking period.

I kinda wish we knew more about the writing process in Japanese RPGs to know how things like that could even happen in the first place. Like, Final Fantasy 6 and 7 are the only ones I know of where there's even been information about specific writers' contributions.

God, there was that interview where the director of Persona 5 specifically said almost all the women characters had to be sexy to their art staff...

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I laugh at the blatant design differences in Western vs Asian mobile games.

Compare something like Brawl Stars and the difference is staggering. You can have cute characters without their titties out. Also, the sheer diversity that's present.

Brawl-Stars-feature-image-01.jpg

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So Shovel Knight lets you swap the genders of characters anytime in game. This is neat if you want to have the major cast be all female for example.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Kingdom Hearts living up to its shounen influences and
making all its female heroes utterly useless 👍

Don't tell me the continue to hint that Kairi will be a keyblade warrior and just...don't do anything with that again?

...Oh god, what about Aqua?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't tell me the continue to hint that Kairi will be a keyblade warrior and just...don't do anything with that again?

...Oh god, what about Aqua?
Basically Kairi's only role in the game is to die in order to give Sora motivation. Like the guy that kills her flat out says that he's doing so to motivate Sora.

Aqua loses every fight she gets into. Then at the end of the game the ghost of Eraqus tells Terra that he's now the leader of the BbS trio.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Basically Kairi's only role in the game is to die in order to give Sora motivation. Like the guy that kills her flat out says that he's doing so to motivate Sora.

Aqua loses every fight she gets into. Then at the end of the game the ghost of Eraqus tells Terra that he's now the leader of the BbS trio.
Don't forget that Kairi
gets to be a party member for all of thirty seconds, at which point a bad guy warps in and kidnaps her.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

...Bullshit.

Seriously!?! What the hell does Terra even do to earn that? Not be possessed for 10 seconds?

Don't forget that Kairi
gets to be a party member for all of thirty seconds, at which point a bad guy warps in and kidnaps her.

It's hilarious that Kairi and Namine keep getting shafted in these stories despite both having decent directions to go to. And also...like why? Why keep shafting the women in these stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.