• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understood that reference.

People who say Era is a bastion of leftist liberal thinking never visit THOSE threads.
Definitely. There are times where there is something so undeniably racist in a topic and most rightly call it what its is (there will still be some racist defense force dummies here and there), and other times there's a topic on sexualization or representation... watch most everyone turn into a GG goon. Like ware-gators, the call of the swamp compels to say dismissive shit.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
To me that's as ridiculous as saying that it's important to explore the ramifications of a woman who must wear next to nothing because she can only breathe through her skin, or the plight of a young woman whose enormous breasts when touched by a man magically force her to become his willing sex slave. Transparent, dishonest excuses to try to justify male-gaze tittilation.

It's quite obvious, in this case as well as in the case of Quiet from Metal Gear Solid, that it's played for sexualization and isn't an honest exploration of whatever themes it is their creators or defenders try to sell us when they're pressed to come up with a narrative justification for it. Quiet was not an attempts to explore the ramifications of a woman forced to wear next to nothing and endure sexualized torture because she could only breathe through her skin, any more than Katherine's outfit is meant to help us explore the vulnerability of young women from their own perspective and on their own terms. They might try to argue that "Well she's only in that attire because that pervert Irons put her in it", but Irons' motivations and actions are not his own but those of his creators because he is their fictional creation.

Yeah, fixed it now. Posted below as well.

katherinegwjrp.png
I mostly commenting on how campy horror that is Resident Evil and Sexplotation movies and themes go hand in hand pretty well and them making a story like this very much within those boundaries.

Very much in the way soryama art (like your avatar)is titillation just for the sake of it.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. There are times where there is something so undeniably racist in a topic and most rightly call it what its is (there will still be some racist defense force dummies here and there), and other times there's a topic on sexualization or representation... watch most everyone turn into a GG goon. Like ware-gators, the call of the swamp compels to say dismissive shit.
Saying most everyone is a pretty unfair generalization though. There always a lot of good voices in those topics that get drown out by the sheer idiocy of some the posts.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
That.... seems really mild for an "alternate costume". Are you forced to wear it? If so that's a bit annoying, but I've seen so much worse than this, this wouldn't even register haha. At least it looks like normal clothing too!
The main issue with that is that its supposed to be this costume:
Resident_Evil_2_-_Claire_Redfield_render.jpg

but in HD, and at some point during the process they just... lost the undershirt and gloves:

Dq2GgD0WkAc_Nnd.jpg

Not only changing something so iconic, somehow making it "sexier" (Leon's equivalent didn't get any such changes) but also making for a much weaker design in general.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
What's Rooster & Teeth? o_O

It's just Rooster Teeth. They started out by making Red vs Blue, a Halo Machinima series back in 2003. That series ballooned and it's still going on to this day. However they themselves expanded out initially into Let's Plays and stuff like that. Eventually they made RWBY which exploded Rooster Teeth's popularity despite the somewhat middling reception. It was their first series that was wholly original and fully animated. Red vs Blue was still made in Halo but had fully CG scenes made by the late Monty. Well RWBY did really good, it continues to go on and Rooster Teeth has gotten so big they were able to fund and make Gen:Lock with a lot of big name voice actors (Micheal B Jordon being the main character).

Anyway it's pretty good. Has a nice diverse cast of characters. It's rare for a show to have a non-binary character as part of it's main main cast and not just a side character.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not only changing something so iconic, somehow making it "sexier" (Leon's equivalent didn't get any such changes) but also making for a much weaker design in general.
Eh, they improved her shorts at least. IDK, the new one might have the added unnecessary cleavage but it kinda looks more like a normal outfit than the weird leotard setup she had.
I mean I get it, but while I am easily annoyed at such things this one seems so mild that it doesn't register lol.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The main issue with that is that its supposed to be this costume:
Resident_Evil_2_-_Claire_Redfield_render.jpg

but in HD, and at some point during the process they just... lost the undershirt and gloves:

Dq2GgD0WkAc_Nnd.jpg

lol if anything they're guilty of giving her a more "in real life" outfit. I actually DIDN'T like Claire's original outfit because it looks "videogame outfit" more than something people would really wear.

I've never seen anyone wear a...a tight-turtleneck-tee-shirt (and gloves!) under a sleeveless bomber jacket. >_>;;;

She chose a couple nice accessories instead (something I imagine more Earth girls would wear). The old design wouldn't have really jelled with the game's more updated take in realism. 👌

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Eh, they improved her shorts at least. IDK, the new one might have the added unnecessary cleavage but it kinda looks more like a normal outfit than the weird leotard setup she had.
I mean I get it, but while I am easily annoyed at such things this one seems so mild that it doesn't register lol.

lol if anything they're guilty of giving her a REAL LIFE outfit. I actually DIDN'T like Claire's original outfit because it actually looks "videogame outfit" more than something people would wear. I've never seen anyone wear a...a tight-turtleneck-tee-shirt (and gloves!) under a collar sleeveless blouse.

She chose a couple nice accessories instead (something I imagine more Earth girls would wear) 👌
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still think it's an overall weaker design either way, colourwise. The black gloves and compresion/turtleneck thing served to create a bigger break between the pink vest and the skin. But I digress.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol if anything they're guilty of giving her a more "in real life" outfit. I actually DIDN'T like Claire's original outfit because it looks "videogame outfit" more than something people would really wear.

I've never seen anyone wear a...a tight-turtleneck-tee-shirt (and gloves!) under a sleeveless bomber jacket. >_>;;;

She chose a couple nice accessories instead (something I imagine more Earth girls would wear) 👌

I've seen people wear the turtleneck t-shirt...look growing up in North Dakota is boring and we do anything weird for fun.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've seen people wear the turtleneck t-shirt...look growing up in North Dakota is boring and we do anything weird for fun.

lol They exist (I had one!), but I'm saying, fasion-wise, the combo for Claire's old PSX ensemble just...doesn't really look fashionable, and I can see why they didn't simply remake the same outfit twice.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still think it's an overall weaker design either way, colourwise. The black gloves and compresion/turtleneck thing served to create a bigger break between the pink vest and the skin. But I digress.

haha sorry Im not trying to fight, it's perfectly alright and good to notice these things and question them; and I'm sure others will totally agree... I'm just being... me (#fashionpolice)

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

more like a personal peeve but i think i'd die if i had to run with a turtleneck, that shit can be suffocating when it's as tight as claire's old costume D: tho i believe it was more like a surfer's leotard so it should be at least comfy...idk lol

If anything the biggest harm it does is making the game less 90s and more 2000's cause that's the kind of weird stuff you'd wear at the time D: the turtleneck was ugly as sin

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol They exist (I had one!), but I'm saying, fasion-wise, the combo for Claire's old PSX ensemble just...doesn't really look fashionable, and I can see why they didn't simply remake the same outfit twice.

haha sorry Im not trying to fight, it's perfectly alright and good to notice these things and question them; and I'm sure others will totally agree... I'm just being... me (#fashionpolice)

Wait, the fashion police!

Uh...let me just burn all of these pictures of me growing up and uh...*flees*

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I guess this goes to show that I don't actually have a problem with cute/sexy/attractive outfits as a general principle. A lot of strawman aimed at us generally characterizes us as prudes or whatnot, but obviously that's not it. If the outfit looks like something a normal person would wear and it's not completely out of place for the context of the game (in this case it's an alt costume too and a very tame one), I am not really bothered. If she were dressed like the female characters in SF5, I'd feel differently. Or hell even if we stick with Resident Evil, just look at Sheva's alternate outfits in RE5 or the alt outfits in RE Revelations.... >___< Now those are trashy as fuck and just really demeaning to the character. The RE2make one isn't at all, IMO.

I do see the point about how Leon's outfit isn't quite "equal", but Claire's cleavage here is so tame here that it just looks like what a normal girl would wear. Whereas the original, as Dice said, might not have cleavage but has stronger accentuation towards her crotch and looks really uncomfortable. xD

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
If it's any consolation I think both designs look bad. :)

Though again, mostly from a, "not much of visual interest" perspective. So many early 3D designs are really plain and I understand they had to be, but I gotta say what captures me about RE has very little to do with character design and everything to do with suplexing zombies and bad voice acting. Which is to say, it's sorta like the Evil Dead of video games.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I mostly commenting on how campy horror that is Resident Evil and Sexplotation movies and themes go hand in hand pretty well and them making a story like this very much within those boundaries.

Very much in the way soryama art (like your avatar)is titillation just for the sake of it.
I agree that it's not significantly off-brand for the Resident Evil series, even though I think it's unfortunate that it was included.

And I apologize if I came off as overly harsh or aggressive in my post.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
What's Rooster & Teeth? o_O
Red vs Blue! They've been around forever, Rooster Teeth.

These days they're more popular for RWBY and shilling for Bethesda while wearing Fallout gear because a 3/5 review made them put their heads in their asses, but this new show is supposed to be good.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this goes to show that I don't actually have a problem with cute/sexy/attractive outfits as a general principle. A lot of strawman aimed at us generally characterizes us as prudes or whatnot, but obviously that's not it. If the outfit looks like something a normal person would wear and it's not completely out of place for the context of the game (in this case it's an alt costume too and a very tame one), I am not really bothered. If she were dressed like the female characters in SF5, I'd feel differently. Or hell even if we stick with Resident Evil, just look at Sheva's alternate outfits in RE5 or the alt outfits in RE Revelations.... >___< Now those are trashy as fuck and just really demeaning to the character. The RE2make one isn't at all, IMO.

I do see the point about how Leon's outfit isn't quite "equal", but Claire's cleavage here is so tame here that it just looks like what a normal girl would wear. Whereas the original, as Dice said, might not have cleavage but has stronger accentuation towards her crotch and looks really uncomfortable. xD
Not a fan of the SFV women?

This isn't a slight. If your answer is negative, I'll generally agree with you. Just was asking.

Its weird in this world MK got their shit together before street fighter

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not a fan of the SFV women?

This isn't a slight. If your answer is negative, I'll generally agree with you. Just was asking.

Its weird in this world MK got their shit together before street fighter

maxresdefault.jpg

Taking a cool base design and making her wet with that fighting spirit.... and bad clipping. SF games have pretty great designs, but it keeps venturing into pervy territory like this... it's dumb, just about every guy in the game is given way more respect, for women it's often about moving the camera around their bodies.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Taking a cool base design and making her wet with that fighting spirit.... and bad clipping. SF games have pretty great designs, but it keeps venturing into pervy territory like this... it's dumb, just about every guy in the game is given way more respect, for women it's often about moving the camera around their bodies.
Laura on paper is what a want, badass brazillian woman, green color scheme and older sister to a past character. Her execution though...her personality makes her come off as a child and she has some of the worst alt costumes in the game (unless you like pointlessly sexy).

I really want to love laura but every thing about her execution shows she was an afterthought after sex appeal. Also her role in the SF story is basically non existent

Village

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

I had a long response here about how Luaura has no personality and is bad. But I think I can make it shorter, given her lack of actual motivation and backstory, her personality being a bunch of unrelated anime tropes, her outfits and capcom's reasons for making her. Its pretty clear that they just wanted to make a fetishization of a afro brazilian woman that can also throw people they could put in sexy outfits. She's kind of nothing and that's the worst part about her.

I was going to say her and falke are on the same page. But no, falke actually has backstory outside o fthe game, I mean its I wish it was in the game and reflective in her moveset. But she has like a motivation and interests. So no laura is just really awful by herself.

Hard to argue otherwise. The base costumes and most of the DLC stuff is pure trash.
I would say they are trash there are quite a number of fantastic costumes , there are a bunch of sexualized ones though which isn't the best given the context

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Catherine spoilers have come out and I just want to scream into the void some more. Like...how do you make a game that transphobic!?!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I was surprised when I first heard the spoilers, but as time goes on and I think about Atlus' output, I not only should have expected it, I should have expected them to triple down on it.

Someone high up at Atlus thinks that LGBT people are a joke.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could you share them in spoiler tags? I've no intention to play the game currently.

In one of the new endings, Catherine does time travel to improve the lives of the protagonist and his friends. One of which is turning Erica, a trans woman, into a gay man. This is portrayed as a great thing.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna quote what i said in the Atlus thread
I should be surprised that Atlus would be this anti-LGBT+ but I'm not. If you paid attention to their games you would see a consistent message across all of them.

Atlus hates LGBT+ people. There is no defending them any longer.

Fuck Atlus.

As a trans woman this blatant transphobia from a video game developer is just so fucking depressing to me.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game is bad, but the rest of the banned list is like "Killing minorities is cool" so this spoiler is not THIS bad

It disrespects her identity but in some way, this entire thread is about games that does this.

But with Atlus games stuff like this just became a systemic thing. You have the sexualization of minors with Etrian Odyssey, the awful and harmful stereotypes of gay people with Persona games and the blatant homophobia with Catherine. Then add all the sexualization of womens they do...

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
But with Atlus games stuff like this just became a systemic thing. You have the sexualization of minors with Etrian Odyssey, the awful and harmful stereotypes of gay people with Persona games and the blatant homophobia with Catherine. Then add all the sexualization of womens they do...

Etrigan Odyssey aside, if we were going to ban it we shoud ban games like Mario 2

I am trans. Shit is bad. It is just not rapelay/hatred bad

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Etrigan Odyssey aside, if we were going to ban it we shoud ban games like Mario 2

I am trans. Shit is bad. It is just not rapelay/hatred bad

As devs and publishers they have showed time and time again that they do not care. It is not the first incident (or second or third...). Besides, Atlus is way bigger than the devs of those games, so they have a way bigger impact as many people are fans of their games.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
As devs and publishers they have showed time and time again that they do not care. It is not the first incident (or second or third...). Besides, Atlus is way bigger than the devs of those games, so they have a way bigger impact as many people are fans of their games.

Isn't this reason enough why we should raise awareness for everyone?

Banning is the opposite of that.

Street Fighter is huge. I am a Brazilian woman. I rather be able to talk about how shitty Laura is.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this reason enough why we should raise awareness for everyone?

Banning is the opposite of that.

Street Fighter is huge. I am a Brazilian woman. I rather be able to talk about how shitty Laura is.

If you go back to my original post you will see I am for banning the OT not the discussion of the game. My stance is do not have an OT to promote the game but allow a thread to discuss and give awareness to the awful things in the game (and Atlus games on general).

Status
Not open for further replies.