• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If you go back to my original post you will see I am for banning the OT not the discussion of the game. My stance is do not have an OT to promote the game but allow a thread to discuss and give awareness to the awful things in the game (and Atlus games on general).

Oh
Than I agree with you xD
Sorry I read that thread when I was going to sleep....it is now almost 5am =|

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey this is my fault wrt Catherine: Fully Body and I want to clear something up. I was mistaken in my interpretation that

Erica becomes a gay man, rather what happens is that a future ending shows her without having transitioned

and I sincerely apologize to anyone who I've harmed by making them believe that was in the game.

Feb 24, 2018
Sorry this is more venting then anything else, but after seeing the fighting game fandom being horrible after the DOA EVO incident, the Catherine transphobia and now stuff happening at home, I'm just sick of gaming fandoms and just want a game where I can just be away from those types of fans and devs like that.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry this is more venting then anything else, but after seeing the fighting game fandom being horrible after the DOA EVO incident, the Catherine transphobia and now stuff happening at home, I'm just sick of gaming fandoms and just want a game where I can just be away from those types of fans and devs like that.
Stick to single player, non-competitive games where you don't need to get to know anyone else from that game's "community" if you don't want to. Can I interest you in Kingdom Hearts? It's in vogue right now and from what I hear it has a ton of queer fans. I don't know what KH did but it attracted a ton of lgbt fans so I assume that community must be more receptive. Or not who knows but jus tokay the games and stay off the fandom.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Its weird in this world MK got their shit together before street fighter
It's really not. Back in the day, when Mortal Kombat was huge, women (and men) were portrayed by actual people with realistic proportions :P

latest
mortal-kombat-ii-lg.jpg

It was actually the "dark ages" of Mortal Kombat when they switched to this:

gfs_67345_1_8.jpg

And that design philosophy peaked with MK9. MKX was a return to form with more realistic proportions all across the board and, well, clothes as opposed to ninja-bikini costumes.

Feb 24, 2018
Stick to single player, non-competitive games where you don't need to get to know anyone else from that game's "community" if you don't want to. Can I interest you in Kingdom Hearts? It's in vogue right now and from what I hear it has a ton of queer fans. I don't know what KH did but it attracted a ton of lgbt fans so I assume that community must be more receptive. Or not who knows but jus tokay the games and stay off the fandom.
I've played them all up to Birth By Sleep where I made the mistake of putting it on the highest difficulty. I like playing single player games, hell I've been going on a major old games craze with playing all the old Silent Hill and Resident Evil games, the problem is I love fighting games, I love the mechanics and I love playing them, especially with friends but also for the lore, characters etc. The problem is then is because so many of them now have gone to the EVO/Esports trend, it's hard to avoid interacting with those crowds because so many games in that genre cater only to that group (or in DOA's case, another group).

Feb 24, 2018
It's really not. Back in the day, when Mortal Kombat was huge, women (and men) were portrayed by actual people with realistic proportions :P

latest
mortal-kombat-ii-lg.jpg

It was actually the "dark ages" of Mortal Kombat when they switched to this:

gfs_67345_1_8.jpg

And that design philosophy peaked with MK9. MKX was a return to form with more realistic proportions all across the board and, well, clothes as opposed to ninja-bikini costumes.
I've always speculated that when they moved to the full 3D gameplay with Deadly Alliance where this started to become the norm for the series, the team at then Midway decided to try to dig into Tekken's, Soul and DOA's audiance (remember at the time, Tekken especially were the biggest fighting games around, with Tekken 3 and Tag 1 selling huge compared to the then falling 2D Capcom games).

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I've played them all up to Birth By Sleep where I made the mistake of putting it on the highest difficulty. I like playing single player games, hell I've been going on a major old games craze with playing all the old Silent Hill and Resident Evil games, the problem is I love fighting games, I love the mechanics and I love playing them, especially with friends but also for the lore, characters etc. The problem is then is because so many of them now have gone to the EVO/Esports trend, it's hard to avoid interacting with those crowds because so many games in that genre cater only to that group (or in DOA's case, another group).
Maybe we'll get lucky and the fan made fighting game based off Sleepless Domain will take off

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By highest difficulty do you lean Proud or Critical? I haven't played BBS so I'm not familiar with it's fifficulty options. I'm currently playing through KH3 in Proud mode and it has given me so far very little resistance so either Proud on BBS is significantly more difficult or you're playing at a higher difficulty than what I have available in KH3 where Proud is the highest.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
By highest difficulty do you lean Proud or Critical? I haven't played BBS so I'm not familiar with it's fifficulty options. I'm currently playing through KH3 in Proud mode and it has given me so far very little resistance so either Proud on BBS is significantly more difficult or you're playing at a higher difficulty than what I have available in KH3 where Proud is the highest.
Birth by Sleep has critical mode and it's horribly balanced.

Feb 24, 2018
Critical mode, it was a big mistake.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Critical mode, I had to take specific grinding sessions and try to learn all the abilities I needed fairly early on, once I figured out how the command crafting system works. The odd thing is if you can at LEAST level to 4-6 on the starting worlds, the grind is significantly easier, and honestly, it doesn't take nearly as long as you would think.

Still, I have to agree with one point: Critical mode on Birth by Sleep is absolutely brutal. Even being overly prepared I've had to constantly retry fights. Some of the end boss mechanics are absolute bullshit, if I can be frank. Specifically Ventus's one, which I had to look up because I couldn't figure out how the triggers worked in that. Dream Drop Distance did give me trouble, but it's less due to mechanic issues and just the bosses really are difficult on Proud mode.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The main issue with that is that its supposed to be this costume:
Resident_Evil_2_-_Claire_Redfield_render.jpg

but in HD, and at some point during the process they just... lost the undershirt and gloves:

Dq2GgD0WkAc_Nnd.jpg

Not only changing something so iconic, somehow making it "sexier" (Leon's equivalent didn't get any such changes) but also making for a much weaker design in general.
Yup this one really bothers me too.

Like you said, Leon doesn't get this change so why does she? This isn't her default outfit for the new game. It is supposed to be her classic costume and yet they remove notable pieces from the outfit. The fact they decided her classic outfit which was more covered needed to have layers removed to show more skin is a dumb change. Defending this as being "realistic" when you have to take into account that Leon did not receive any realistic changes to his classic costume and more layers makes way more sense for a biker travelling considering it would be cold.

Edit:
Looks so much better.
54i91lq6akv11.png

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
That turtleneck/vest combo ..
That's something nobody would ever wear
It doesn't look bad per say, but it's pretty out there

Village

Oct 25, 2017
What did the fgc do?

I thought everything that happened was on doa6's devs

Feb 24, 2018
What did the fgc do?

I thought everything that happened was on doa6's devs

A mixture of the awful reaction to the incident and your over a decades worth of bad experiances, both personal where I was made not welcome, told I wasn't a "real fan" and other mean and awful stuff and the countless incidents of toxic behaviour and worse, I just can't with it anymore.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
A mixture of the awful reaction to the incident and your over a decades worth of bad experiances, both personal where I was made not welcome, told I wasn't a "real fan" and other mean and awful stuff and the countless incidents of toxic behaviour and worse, I just can't with it anymore.

Oh i thought it was the incident itself

I can understand having awful experiences , the fgc has issues with women to say the VERY least. lts just unfortunate so much happened to drive you away.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That DOA thread is a
tenor.gif

As for the Atlus thread, I have a question that maybe someone can hopefully answer:
Why do game developers, especially developers from Japan, get afforded the luxury of avoiding any repercussions for their awful content?
Why does NO ONE in the gaming media ever ask someone like the developers of Atlus, especially that director, about things like the transphobic content in their games? Every interview is just advertisement.
The most we see are articles from Western gaming media regarding these issues, but NOT ONCE do I see anyone in the game industry (in the West or Japan)confront the developers that make shit like this. Why? We see difficult awkward interviews all the time from different industries. Why can't these developers be uncomfortable for fucking once? Because the media will be blacklisted? If all the major outlets do it, will they blacklist all of them? And then not have anyone advertise their shit?
Supposedly these developers don't care what the rest of the world thinks, but they want to promote and make money from their IPs globally? And then fuck off into the next abomination? Fuck Them.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
That DOA thread is a
tenor.gif

As for the Atlus thread, I have a question that maybe someone can hopefully answer:
Why do game developers, especially developers from Japan, get afforded the luxury of avoiding any repercussions for their awful content?
Why does NO ONE in the gaming media ever ask someone like the developers of Atlus, especially that director, about things like the transphobic content in their games? Every interview is just advertisement.
The most we see are articles from Western gaming media regarding these issues, but NOT ONCE do I see anyone in the game industry (in the West or Japan)confront the developers that make shit like this. Why? We see difficult awkward interviews all the time from different industries. Why can't these developers be uncomfortable for fucking once? Because the media will be blacklisted? If all the major outlets do it, will they blacklist all of them? And then not have anyone advertise their shit?
Supposedly these developers don't care what the rest of the world thinks, but they want to promote and make money from their IPs globally? And then fuck off into the next abomination? Fuck Them.
Occasionally interviewers do question them on it, but almost all the time they just sidestep it awkwardly or deflect responsibility onto their audience.

SNK Heroines interview said:
If some of the costumes for those heroines are scantily clad, is there any worry of how they are perceived in today's climate in Western counties? (Cowgirl Mai being one costume in particular).

Oda: The development team was very careful about that, but we heard a lot of requests from fans all over the world to "make it sexier!" I think the final product reflects that.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Occasionally interviewers do question them on it, but almost all the time they just sidestep it awkwardly or deflect responsibility onto their audience.
Yeah, I've seen that happen too. Deflection or just a tone deaf answer. But then after that there's no follow up question or they go to an unrelated one.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, they're never going to directly take responsibility for any of their shitty behavior. And at least part of that is cultural, sadly.

Oct 27, 2017
That DOA thread is a
tenor.gif

Orirntalism, really. Either in the paternalistic "backwards Japan" way or othering "Japan's gonna Japan, it's cultural" way. I think we should promote at least some sentiment of solidarity with Japanese LGBTQ.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Orirntalism, really. Either in the paternalistic "backwards Japan" way or othering "Japan's gonna Japan, it's cultural" way. I think we should promote at least some sentiment of solidarity with Japanese LGBTQ.
None of this excuses the shitty behavior nor does it really explain why people aren't asking questions about why the fuck Atlus is deadnaming people or Koei Tecmo is freeze-framing on fighting game poses that look like sex acts in 2019.

Oct 27, 2017
None of this excuses the shitty behavior nor does it really explain why people aren't asking questions about why the fuck Atlus is deadnaming people or Koei Tecmo is freeze-framing on fighting game poses that look like sex acts in 2019.
It wasn't meant to excuse the behavior. I'm not sure how you got that impression. And it does (partially) explain why no one is asking questions. The ones that aren't falling into orientalism are, I'm guessing, the ones who don't think it's bug enough a problem in the first place.

Edit: Also, my bad, I was mostly responding to this part

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017

But honestly, lots of video game media more or less just kiss publishers feet and throw softball questions in interviews. It's quite annoying, and the audience certainly doesn't help with those issues.

Dragmire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If the gaming media is fully aware how harmful this type of content is and are in the position have these developers address anything they do but don't because of "oh Japan" then they are in the wrong too. So the whole thing is just fucked.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
That DOA thread is a
tenor.gif

Despite its posturing, it's still a hobbiest media in the thrall of commercial entities. Less hard journalism, more light hearted chat show where celebrity guests regurgitate funny stories that conveniently tie in to their latest film.

Also, the big outlets who might be in a position to ask these questions still have issues with representation themselves. Games media is still a predominately white, middle class, heteonormative man's industry. When Eurogamer, one of the bastions of liberalised, "New Games" journalism admits that, yeah, they're pretty much a boys' club and will try to change, you know the scene is pretty borked.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Despite its posturing, it's still a hobbiest media in the thrall of commercial entities. Less hard journalism, more light hearted chat show where celebrity guests regurgitate funny stories that conveniently tie in to their latest film.

Also, the big outlets who might be in a position to ask these questions still have issues with representation themselves. Games media is still a predominately white, middle class, heteonormative man's industry. When Eurogamer, one of the bastions of liberalised, "New Games" journalism admits that, yeah, they're pretty much a boys' club and will try to change, you know the scene is pretty borked.
The fact that this can also be extended to game development and most gaming communities is also part of the wider problem. It's a negatively reinforcing cycle.

And unfortunately, the more commercialized it becomes, the less likely it is to be addressed.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Yup this one really bothers me too.

Like you said, Leon doesn't get this change so why does she? This isn't her default outfit for the new game. It is supposed to be her classic costume and yet they remove notable pieces from the outfit. The fact they decided her classic outfit which was more covered needed to have layers removed to show more skin is a dumb change. Defending this as being "realistic" when you have to take into account that Leon did not receive any realistic changes to his classic costume and more layers makes way more sense for a biker travelling considering it would be cold.

Edit:
Looks so much better.
54i91lq6akv11.png
I never like the original costume and always though the black undershirt and shorts looked stupid, but then I never liked the red shorts either. Claire's redesign is a huge improvement and this throwback costume still looks silly to me. Who wears cycling shorts underneath denim shorts? Is that a thing? I gues I just never liked the original costume much so don't have an issue with the edit too much. That said, if they are going to do a classic costume it should be exactly the same as surely that's the point and the only edit they made was to show her cleavage seems kind of lame.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

And, to add to this, the actual media (NYT, Washington Post, New Yorker, etc) aren't deep enough in the videogaming community/culture to see this kind of thing happening and relate it to society at large. There's, I'm sure, a serious 5000 word New Yorker piece possible on how phobic videogames feed into wider Japanese cultural transphobia/homophobia, but it won't be written until they hire the gaming equivalent of Ronan Farrow - someone who both cares enough to look inside the industry, and has the connections to write in-depth-enough and illustrate how shocking it all is.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I shouls confess about something. I wishlisted a few games on steam that have a pervy presentation. I may end up removing them eventually considering ive got over 2000 games in my wishlisy and there is bound to be an rpg that offers a similar gaming experience without the perviness.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

It's okay to take a break from all this. Too much of anything of this sort drives you mad. I know I should keep my ear to black injustice in america on a daily basis because it's something that directly affects me, but it wears on you, it wears you thin.

It's okay to fall back on the thing that makes you feel good and surround yourself with it for a while. The problems will still be here when you're ready to come back.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
That turtleneck/vest combo ..
That's something nobody would ever wear
It doesn't look bad per say, but it's pretty out there

The whole point is to revive the original 1998 costume. When going for believably the 2019 outfit is much better in my opinion. Leon's classic outfit also looks pretty weird by today's standards if you really look at it (and I think his 2019 outfit is also superior). I plan to install that classic Claire mod once they work out all the kinks.

Honestly, right now I feel that if there's gonna be any effective call for change, it's gotta come from within Japanese society. We've heard only a little about what women and LGBTQ people in Japan think about these games.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

I think when most (?) people say "Japan gonna Japan" it's in the bad sense tho, less a "its cultural so its fine" and more a "yeah Japan is fucked when it comes to treatment of women / LGBTQ". At least I want to believe people arent condoning / downplaying it when they say it :/

like saying "Murica" to gun related issues no? It's unfortunately just expected is what I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.