• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After what happened in Civil War II, I still can't forgive her. Carol attempting to capture and lock up Miles Morales really annoyed me.
Marvel really don't know what to do with the character, huh?
WHAT THE FUCK.

Why would they do Civil War again?

You see this is why I'm glad i don't read the comics and just watch the MCU/cartoons/anything that isn't the comics.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
You see this is why I'm glad i don't read the comics and just watch the MCU/cartoons/anything that isn't the comics.
Marvel Franchises are so intertwined and requires you read so much of the everything that you have to be Richie Rich to be able to keep up anyway ...
That's one of the reason why I don't read american comics at least not coming from "The Big Three" so DC / MARVEL / IMAGE ...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's because Marvel love these unnecessary crossover events.
I remember some of the early 90s X-men ones being part of the reason I stopped following the comics, it just became so expensive to follow the whole storyline and not doing so meant that issues of the title you bought made no sense on their own. I resolved to pick up the inevitable trade paperback a few years later and just drifted out of the habit of visiting the only comic shop within 20 miles in the four months while it ran.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Franchises are so intertwined and requires you read so much of the everything that you have to be Richie Rich to be able to keep up anyway ...
That's one of the reason why I don't read american comics at least not coming from "The Big Three" so DC / MARVEL / IMAGE ...

Pretty much the only comics I read from the Big Three or ones specifically said to not be part of any continuity...which is rarer and rarer these days.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact! Google search results for "International Men's Day" always spikes during the month of March, higher than November when it takes place. Just a co-iniky dink I'm sure!

HZihuAd.jpg

Been saying this, the ones that care less about Men's day are men,. They just use it as a weapon against women's day.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Pretty much the only comics I read from the Big Three or ones specifically said to not be part of any continuity...which is rarer and rarer these days.
Yup pretty much

Meanwhile in France especially under the belt of "Soleil Editions" :
004446776.jpg

Also under the flag of "Delcourt Editions"

81G8MjuYfeL.jpg

Couv_93337.jpg

By the way Redcrayon if you live in a country where translation (uncensored translation) of the Sillage series exist jump on that baby trust me you'll thank me later ...

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Oh by the way just in case there are already non French Sillage fans on Resetera that would be passing by ...
I just recevied the new album today here is Nävis new outfit for this adventure . As usual when she has a mission on a planet that's tropical she hates having her belly covered loool

Yes it's a tropical planet setting too

9782756078311_1_75.jpg

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
I read a few pages and i saw a lot of people talking about girls in Shonen, so i'm curious of your opinions on 2 of my favorite Manhwa (Korean Version).

Now obviously my avatar is from Girls of the Wild. (Art by Artgerm) and i loved the series even though I thought the end was kinda bad. Now it's been a while since i've read it,the series did end back in October 2016, but I remember the fights we're awesome. And the girls showing up their skills and beating anybody up was badass and the artist made them look badass. I saw the discussion about how manga artist don't often like to do Girls vs Boys type of fight and this one as a lot of them. So i thought it would be nice to bring up the series.

But it did fall into a bit of love triangle, boy must rescue type situation and a bit of fan service here and there. But the memories I have are the fights and the girls kicking ass, I would even say that the girls end up saving the boy 80% of the time. But i'll admit the main character being an idiot and hurting some of the girls emotionaly is by far the weakest part of the story. The series aint flawless but I liked the idea behind the series in the beginning.

The other series is Tower of God. My favorite series of all. Honestly I find Yuri one of the most badass character in the series. Rachel, personally i'm not sure if its a good or bad character design, but I hate her at a nearly emotional level. I just find that every character is fairly developed and worked apon. I cannot remember any kind of fan service in the series, then again its been running for so long I might of just forgotten it. I don't know, i just find that this Manhwa is one of the best written cast.

I'll be honest, I have a hard time finding fault in character design in Tower of God. I truly find that everyone is done fairly with respect. While Girls of the Wild does have some negatives, I can see some faults that the author was not sure where to go after the first few strong arcs.

So what are your opinion Era?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

This is highly tangential but as a Transformers fan (BTW people, monthly reminder you should all read MTMTE, it's pretty much the Watchmen of Transformers comics with gay robots), I was beyond pissed when Hasbro saw the success of modern, adult-oriented TF comics and had the brilliant idea to force IDW to pull this super crossover shit with all of Hasbro's other properties. Yes, the properties with squishy humans nobody gives a fuck about like Action Man and G.I. Joe.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
This is highly tangential but as a Transformers fan (BTW people, monthly reminder you should all read MTMTE, it's pretty much the Watchmen of Transformers comics with gay robots), I was beyond pissed when Hasbro saw the success of modern, adult-oriented TF comics and had the brilliant idea to force IDW to pull this super crossover shit with all of Hasbro's other properties. Yes, the properties with squishy humans nobody gives a fuck about like Action Man and G.I. Joe.
Sometimes I just wish that american comics industry would be a bit more like european industry , which is to say album format driven ...
With less being release but higher emphasis on every detail .
Then I slap myself and remind myself that no you can have monthly publication without being an abusive prick ...
Problem is when I look at both manga and us comics industry it seems that publishers are unwilling to stay reasonable ...

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
After what happened in Civil War II, I still can't forgive her. Carol attempting to capture and lock up Miles Morales really annoyed me.
Ive been reading captain marvel since i was a kid. From the original to carol danvers. she is easily in my top 5 heroes of all time. but carol danvers in civil war 2 was the worst and i hated every inch of her. then civil war 2 ends and they act like nothing happend. god damnit marvel

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Ive been reading captain marvel since i was a kid. From the original to carol danvers. she is easily in my top 5 heroes of all time. but carol danvers in civil war 2 was the worst and i hated every inch of her. then civil war 2 ends and they act like nothing happend. god damnit marvel

Carol knew the inhuman's ability to predict future events were inaccurate but she still apprehended people for possible crimes. It was completely stupid.

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
Carol knew the inhuman's ability to predict future events were inaccurate but she still apprehended people for possible crimes. It was completely stupid.
Not only was it inaccurate but everyone knew it was inreliable and warned her of the battles she was going to start. Then when everything is said and done shes completely unapologetic and has zero remorse. Shes a villain 100% that didnt even bat an eye to the chaos and death she caused.

Then they expect me to be lile yeah shes a heto next issue like nothing happen. Marvel needs to stop this yearly cross over shit.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Marvel needs to stop this yearly cross over shit.
The audience at large : "Marvel let the Heroes have their own stories and be their own franchise"
Marvel (with a pouty face and tone) : I don't wanna cross overs make you read the less popular franchises ....
Tha audience at large : Well if the less popular franchises had better stories we would come to them on our own no need to bully us into it
Marvel (starts munchin' on a glue stick) : Lookie Lookie I made Cap' beat the crap out of Iron Man !!!

And then Marvel gets surprised a lot of people move away from their whole brand ...

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We..we kind of veered off topic to the point where we're not even talking about women character design...

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I tried to bring back the conversation on topic but apparently XCOM 2 is no one's cup of tea over here ... ^^

(Which is a shame because that's one of the rare video games to allow you to customise a woman character that you create without having said customisation unfit for battle )

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't you read Image? They have so many stand alone, non superhero comics. They aren't anywhere near the Big Two. Also the real best superhero stuff are usually alt universe stuff or small series.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I tried to bring back the conversation on topic but apparently XCOM 2 is no one's cup of tea over here ... ^^

(Which is a shame because that's one of the rare video games to allow you to customise a woman character that you create without having said customisation unfit for battle )
I noticed you asked about it! Love the game, but I just didn't have much to contribute. Don't mind the design and think she's pretty cool. But honestly can't really comment much on her characterization, XCOM I play to create stories and characters of my own =P
Yeah bring back the anime
giphy.webp

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably talk about DMCV later after I have a few days to digest it (...and SSS every mission RIP Me)

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I noticed you asked about it! Love the game, but I just didn't have much to contribute. Don't mind the design and think she's pretty cool. But honestly can't really comment much on her characterization, XCOM I play to create stories and characters of my own =P
Well it's a shame because if you manage to trigger all her side missions she's got a great backstory ( I even love that you have to earn unlocking her hidden missions ) it's too short for my taste but my god was it worth it to play on hardcore iron man ...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Well it's a shame because if you manage to trigger all her side missions she's got a great backstory ( I even love that you have to earn unlocking her hidden missions ) it's too short for my taste but my god was it worth it to play on hardcore iron man ...
Hmm, what hidden missions? Is there more than the Lost Towers with Julian? It's been a while since I've played the game, should go back with the expansion though.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Had a coworker throw a tantrum in our work chat because Brie Larsen said Captain Marvel wasn't for white men, which spiraled into him saying that "feminism is destroying western civilization" and that I was "low iq" and if i traveled to another county like Sweden "destroyed by feminists" I would see that.

All after I said "oh no, not feminism, the scariest boogeyman"
Things might be different for my work bc it's a govt agency, but whoa buddy is that some wild stuff to put out among co-workers. Also, does this co-worker think that the lower wage gap in Sweden is evidence of it being ruined by feminists? Are ppl supposed to want to live in an unequal society? I'm confused, but maybe it's bc I'm also low iq.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
WHAT THE FUCK.

Why would they do Civil War again?

Late response it was really bad and the editor/head writer did wild crazy shit to a bunch of people characters they weren't prepared for and had to adapt to. This is ontop of being before Secret empire famous for " that character you like is actually a nazi or side with the nazi's trying to make some not so great nebulous point while also trying to deny the red skull and hydra are basically nazi's" eventually giving up and having to try and run all that shit back as best they could

It wasn't a good run events

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Hmm, what hidden missions? Is there more than the Lost Towers with Julian? It's been a while since I've played the game, should go back with the expansion though.
War of the Chosen has some hidden unlockable mission with Lilly but given you didn't play expansion just yet I won't say more .

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
TheSyldat Are you based in France? If so, do you know of Wakfu, and if you do, what is your opinion of the show's treatment of its female cast? I love the franchise to death, but when it comes to this aspect, I could never make up my mind.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
TheSyldat Are you based in France? If so, do you know of Wakfu, and if you do, what is your opinion of the show's treatment of its female cast? I love the franchise to death, but when it comes to this aspect, I could never make up my mind.
I'm not only familiar with the franchise I'm also a player of the MMO and reader of the mangas , and watcher of the series ...

Both Wakfu and Dofus have a treatment of female characters that over here in France is meant to poke with our flavor of machists with more than a few sticks ...

But talking about it could be an entire thread all to its own (especially if we allow ourselves to talk about the female characters that are present in the MMO .... )

Soo I'm not against talking about it just I don't want to monopolize the thread to talk about them Wakfu Ladies ...

In other words "Please be more specific about what you can't make up your mind exactly because in Wakfu there is a loooot of things to unpack especially given that some stories were written specifically to flip off French conservatives who were reacting negatively to the show"

Last edited:

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not only familiar with the franchise I'm also a player of the MMO and reader of the mangas , and watcher of the series ...

Both Wakfu and Dofus have a treatment of female characters that over here in France is meant to poke with our flavor of machists with more than a few sticks ...

But talking about it could be an entire thread all to its own (especially if we allow ourselves to talk about the female characters that are present in the MMO .... )

Superb taste! I have been waiting for Waven to release, and still am holding out hope for a season 4. I guess the infamous Evangelyne bath scene alone would be enough to disqualify the show in the eyes of this thread. With characters like Julith and even a homosexual relationship between Simone and Julie on the other hand, it is a very empowering series all the same. Yet I can never really compliment it for these feats, as the occasional racism and stereotyping of male homosexuality isn't hidden very well either.

Long story short, both my SO and I love the franchise, but there is a few things we think it could do without.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Superb taste! I have been waiting for Waven to release, and still am holding out hope for a season 4. I guess the infamous Evangelyne bath scene alone would be enough to disqualify the show in the eyes of this thread. With characters like Julith and even a homosexual relationship between Simone and Julie on the other hand, it is a very empowering series all the same. Yet I can never really compliment it for these feats, as the occasional racism and stereotyping of male homosexuality isn't hidden very well either.

Long story short, both my SO and I love the franchise, but there is a few things we think it could do without.
Occasional racism ? Okay where ? looool (especially given that 70% of the animation studio is employing even at high decisionnal position people of color )
And Stereotyping of male homosexuality ? Dude I'm bisexual and both Wakfu and Dofus are the two french made universe where I'm the most safe period ...

Soooo maybe it's a cultural difference thing and you reading into it from your perspective , because from where I'm sitting as a Frenchie you're gonna have to explain to me both of those accusation like for real ...

Also given that you quoted when I was not done editing my message please let me repeat , a loooot of the story beats of the show are also a response to harsh criticisms they have received from nasty conservatives

( Ankama is both a video game studio and an animation studio in France that keeps gaining the award of being the most diverse company in both industries because ... well it's based next to me - I have only 10 subway station stops separating me from their studios - in Northern France which is the immigrationnal cum bucket of the rest of the nation ... )

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I thought we were talkin spoilers since we were talking about how they were in the game. I'll go back to find my posts and spoiler them then.

No offence but do you know what thread you're in? talk about how disappointing Lady and Trish's designs and characterisations are all you want, I'm right there with you. I don't think it's cool to start revealing the fate of certain male characters in the ending outside of a cut in here though, that's what we have the official spoiler thread for, which you're clearly familiar with since you referenced it. I'm hardly spoilerphobic but I do make exceptions for certain games, to think I wasted my time going on media blackout only to know it all second hand lmao. well congrats i guess

and it's still untagged wow

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
No offence but do you know what thread you're in? talk about how disappointing Lady and Trish's designs and characterisations are all you want, I'm right there with you. I don't think it's cool to start revealing the fate of certain male characters in the ending outside of a cut in here though, that's what we have the official spoiler thread for, which you're clearly familiar with since you referenced it. I'm hardly spoilerphobic but I do make exceptions for certain games, to think I wasted my time going on media blackout only to know it all second hand lmao. well congrats i guess

and it's still untagged wow

Yeah I didn't get home till a little while ago So I'm going to edit it now. Editing on mobile is a whole Ordeal for me.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Occasional racism ? Okay where ? looool (especially given that 70% of the animation studio is employing even at high decisionnal position people of color )
And Stereotyping of male homosexuality ? Dude I'm bisexual and both Wakfu and Dofus are the two french made universe where I'm the most safe period ...

Soooo maybe it's a cultural difference thing and you reading into it from your perspective , because from where I'm sitting as a Frenchie you're gonna have to explain to me both of those accusation like for real ...

I am German myself, so we are neighbours. Cultural differences shouldn't be much of a factor here. I love the franchise too, but you shouldn't give them a pass for the problematic elements showing at times. Just one example to keep things short: you don't remember the slit-eyed foxes that have each r in their speech replaced with an l? That is old-school racism. The show can be better than that, and thankfully is most of the time. But it's not perfect, not at all.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I am German myself, so we are neighbours. Cultural differences shouldn't be much of a factor here. I love the franchise too, but you shouldn't give them a pass for the problematic elements showing at times. Just one example to keep things short: you don't remember the slit-eyed foxes that have each r in their speech replaced with an l? That is old-school racism. The show can be better than that, and thankfully is most of the time. But it's not perfect, not at all.
Dude you're gonna have to
A : give a clear image of what you're talking about
B : explain even further of what it's supposed to be racist because seriously the more you go the more it's sounds like your cultural perspective on it ...

Like for real I legit don't see what you're talking about sooo please image and full explanation here ...

Also given you accused them of stereotyping male homosexuality please give an example as well ...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone speak to the treatment of women in Dead Rising 1? I remember being interested in the games when I was younger and would play some today but i've seen a few videos that give me a really bad impression on how women are portrayed in there

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Saw people talking about Ann Leckie a page or so back and wanted to dip in because I adore her. Just finished The Raven Tower and even if it'll probably settle as one of her more minor works it still reinforced my love for her work. She is very good at presenting concepts like privilege along lines not necessarily present in our society but recognizable enough that the reader can draw parallels. I regularly lurk this thread but had to say something when people brought her up.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Image publishes creator owned comics that are really easy to get into. Some of them are long running series but they don't get derailed into crossover events.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Had a coworker throw a tantrum in our work chat because Brie Larsen said Captain Marvel wasn't for white men, which spiraled into him saying that "feminism is destroying western civilization" and that I was "low iq" and if i traveled to another county like Sweden "destroyed by feminists" I would see that.

All after I said "oh no, not feminism, the scariest boogeyman"
He legit pulled the "Alita is so much better than Captain Marvel", which I've seen floating around with alt-righters trying to prop it up over CM
I don't know how many times I've said this now, but your workplace sucks.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Image publishes creator owned comics that are really easy to get into. Some of them are long running series but they don't get derailed into crossover events.
In france Image's publisher (aka SEMIC S.A ) makes you pay up the ass for their comics issues , I was more continuing on the "you have to be Richie Rich , type of Rich to buy in"

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Dude you're gonna have to
A : give a clear image of what you're talking about
B : explain even further of what it's supposed to be racist because seriously the more you go the more it's sounds like your cultural perspective on it ...

Like for real I legit don't see what you're talking about sooo please image and full explanation here ...

There is a tribe of foxes that show up in the Wabbit Island episode of season 2 of the show. My knowledge of the MMO is limited, so I don't know if they make an appearance there. They are very clearly an analogy for Asians, and a racist one at that. I don't think cultural differences can explain this, but having them speak the way they do, then making jokes on expense of it doesn't fly anymore.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Okay so you you're talking about the Lenald and noooo they're not supposed to be mimicking a racist asian accent .
I'm seeing those subtitles in that video and clearly the translator missed the mark by a looooong shot .
In fact the Lenald are even talking in the accent of half african half asian Reunion Islanders generaly have , and is voiced by one such Blasian creole voice actor OF AFFORMENTIONED Reunion Island ...

Like wow is it a big translation error by the way Wabbits have an Ivory Coast Affrican accent and in the show are voiced by VA of Ivory Coast that DO have the accent ...

Sooooo sorry not sorry but this more of a case of real bad fan trad here mate ...

Also you still didn't point out the supposed male homosexuality stereotyping ... (especially this one because wow is it a wild claim to have )

PS : on the other hand the franchise isn't squeaky clean okay , there are some bad stereotyping of Polish people , and Austrians in the lore of the MMO that transpire in the show ... but your example is really the exact opposite of that ...
Especially when you know that Siwé Liu Bao is the Reunion Island Blasian lady who even created both the Wabbits and the Lenalds in the first place ...

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...Oh good we can get back on topic...yay?

za1hmx1vyvk21.jpg

Sorry for the ant sized picture but here are the designs of the characters and can I say YIKES for the female design? The concept art is even worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.