• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I had just finished watching this. My head canon is becoming that the boobs are the armor. Who designed these women characters?
HFfuBGM.jpg

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I think the bigger butt was an unintended move considering some changes undid that, the other appeal I saw from it was using it to run around in underwear than wearing the full set

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
A few people talked about Ai: the Somnium Files here and while it not perfect it does have this young lady
FwDmw6y.png

I'm watching SGF LP this game and there's no many terrible convos around Date's interests and hobbies like every few min I'm pulled out the scene b/c like wtf. It's not funny and just extremely creepy since a lot of side characters are underaged.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
It's depressing when even on Era we get threads like this

where most of the posts are about the underage main character's sexualized body, with people praising the fanservice, admitting that they find it "titillating" or outright trolling those who criticize it.

I don't mean to defend the game or thread because I don't really care, but it's funny how I didn't get that take at all from the thread.

What I got from the thread is people generally found it kinda ridiculous and took the chance to make as many thigh jokes as possible, because well, how can you not, it's like they're picking on the game for doing that to me, not praising it, but that's just me maybe?

Also quite a few people commented that the game got its sales partly because it's actually a great game with good gameplay, and people who are buying it because of the thigh pics or how she dresses are going to be extremely disappointed because they say it's relatively free of fan service outside of that.

I guess the bottom line is no matter how much I read this thread and try to keep an open mind about trying to be more inclusive and see things from other POVs (I also have a daughter so if nothing else now I really think twice about a lot of the crap in games), I guess I'll just never have the same experiences even remotely to those here, and I suppose I'll have to accept that and try even harder.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to SNK?
What do you mean what happened? Have you never seen what Mai looks like?

This is all par the course.

Though making Zero a little girl with cleavage and bouncing breasts is way over the top.

Funny enough, MUGEN has a better female version of Zero. Yeah, mini skirt, but as you just saw, it could be way worse.

5ekZ0ur.gif

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Why must the genderbent designs take every gram of muscle mass away from the resulting woman character aaaaaaagh
I was juuuust about to post this. It'd be cool if they actually resembled the character they were based on and not just costume wise.

But this is expected.
chara_img_27.png
chara_img_84.png

Eh, I guess this one could've been worse. But, they definitely weren't keen on keeping the muscles, no.

Now, THIS one...lol
chara_img_12.png
chara_img_82.png

The genderbent Zero doesn't even have irony going for it, though. It's just...bad.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

NO ONE WANTS THIS. lol

I still the think the worst one was Female Billy. Like, why couldn't they just go with shorts, something, that people actually wear.?

EAZEKQeU4AA06nX.jpg

tbh I don't think Female Zero is THAT bad but the breast bounce is obnoxious and really ruins it.

What happened to SNK?

I've said it before, when this thread first started, people were talking about SFV and I was pointing out how "they should be more like SNK" touting their great designs, but they've really lowered the standards since then. Almost like I jinxed it. I know how the FE fans in this thread feel now. KoF XIV had good newcomer designs but it really suffered from a pervy camera.

What do you mean what happened? Have you never seen what Mai looks like?

This is all par the course.

Though making Zero a little girl with cleavage and bouncing breasts is way over the top.

Funny enough, MUGEN has a better female version of Zero. Yeah, mini skirt, but as you just saw, it could be way worse.

5ekZ0ur.gif

Golden Age SNK had plenty of designs that made up for Mai. She was an exception not the standard back then.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I don't mean to defend the game or thread because I don't really care, but it's funny how I didn't get that take at all from the thread.

What I got from the thread is people generally found it kinda ridiculous and took the chance to make as many thigh jokes as possible, because well, how can you not, it's like they're picking on the game for doing that to me, not praising it, but that's just me maybe?

Also quite a few people commented that the game got its sales partly because it's actually a great game with good gameplay, and people who are buying it because of the thigh pics or how she dresses are going to be extremely disappointed because they say it's relatively free of fan service outside of that.

I guess the bottom line is no matter how much I read this thread and try to keep an open mind about trying to be more inclusive and see things from other POVs (I also have a daughter so if nothing else now I really think twice about a lot of the crap in games), I guess I'll just never have the same experiences even remotely to those here, and I suppose I'll have to accept that and try even harder.
You're right, it's impossible to know whether people are genuinely lusting after the thighs or mocking them. Though I think by now we know irony is mostly just a cover for people's true intentions.

Also, imagine your daughter surrounded by men constantly "joking" about how hot women's body parts are and you'll probably understand how unwelcoming these jokes can be for some.

Oct 25, 2017
Would be funny to go back to the Mortal Kombat 9 years and tell people that MK would have some of the best female designs. They'd never believe you.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about SNK is that even when they did the so called "fan service" it usually looked more realistic than blatant sexualization. You had art of the characters on the beach and things like that, with some characters showing skin. Characters used to dress somewhat realistically but in a stylish fashion. That's the SNK I grew up with.

Now it seems they went full crazy and started following the whole waifu trash bullshit. I would like to blame gacha garbage that people like for reasons I can never understand but I know it isn't it. Really disapointing.

There was a reason I liked SNK's character design more that Capcom's fighters. These days they seem to be throwing that reason out.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
That's really hilarious given the original character designer's main occupation.

Edit: Looking at a comparison of the original designs vs the new, it's a real tossup for pretty much all of the women. Overall, I'd take Satoshi Urushihara's designs over the new ones.

Last edited:

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
They've literally always been this way.

6d03412e85ff947f40885c8eca3e0dc0.jpg
It's less noticeable with the sprites due to the size and resolution limitations. And of course....the camera! The cartoon-y-ness helps too; proportions always get screwed up (think eye's half the size of someone's head), so certain details may look less egregious. But, now make them highly detailed and animated 3D models...it ends up looking gross.

Also, some of those sprites are pretty bad anyways.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently in JRPG land "upper chest protection" is a thing of the past...
Well, it's more like it's less of a thing than ever before. Modern anime design seems to now be eternally at one pole or the other, where one side is complete trash (the majority), and the other, sensible, or at least not entirely stupid, designs.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I want mk9 with the newer mk ddsigns :(

That would be pretty good. Modern Netherrealm has come a long way from MK9's designs. They still give almost every female character high heels, but that's probably my biggest complaint. I really wish other fighting games would be like them, and not depend on the fanservice money that almost every other fighting franchise has done.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think there will ever come a point when the pendulum swings back, or are we eventually going to end up at the point where every female character is simply naked?

Probably the later honestly. Unless Spy X Family's success is the start of the reversal, I don't see the end of this hell tunnel.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
You think there will ever come a point when the pendulum swings back, or are we eventually going to end up at the point where every female character is simply naked?
It depends. The pendulum is already swinging back when it comes to Western AAA games. Female character designs seem to be given more thought and inclusivity is more of a design goal in such games. However, there's a reason why most of the negative examples in this thread are from Japanese games, and the trends in that market are all negative right now. Currently, Japanese games are fully beholden to otaku tastes, and these tastes don't give a damn about any of this. And I don't see this changing because all of the criticism is coming from outside of Japan and Japanese otaku simply aren't receptive to non-Japanese opinions. Maybe it'd change if feminism gets some action in Japan, but I imagine that you'd have to wait a very very long time.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
If you're solely looking at Japanese video games, then we're probably at the peak of the swing right now. But other Japanese media have been slowly pushing back against fanservice and sexist designs in recent years. Hopefully, it'll spread to video games as well.

Arsenic

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you're solely looking at Japanese video games, then we're probably at the peak of the swing right now. But other Japanese media have been slowly pushing back against fanservice and sexist designs in recent years. Hopefully, it'll spread to video games as well.

I thought the same. If you exclude Japanese video games, we've been on the turn for years now. You look at titles like Horizon, Death Stranding, Overwatch, Apex, Red Dead Redemption 2, there's plenty of strong, non-sexualized female characters.

Some, I assume, are mistaking the celebration of the female anatomy the same like super short skirts you see in Japanese media.

Status
Not open for further replies.