• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It's a cool article, and kind of gets to the core of why so many Tekken characters are pretty great, but it also feels like it is talking about a long gone era for Tekken. I kind of felt like 7 was terrible to its female cast. Almost none of them mattered in the game's story mode, instead being dominated by the same two guys who have basically been controlling the game's narrative since the original. Tekken is still ahead of most other fighting franchises, but its modern direction has definitely minimized the roles of the female cast.
I think the thing that i'm more critical about when it comes to tekken with women is kazumi and heihachi. Kazumi just ends up...I would call it " magically evil " she's just evil for no reason with no explanation because demon and heihachi haaaaas to kill her for...whatever reason. She's also the one who sends akuma after her husband and son, and all this is kind of in service of making heihachi more sympathetic. It really doesn't and it makes kazumi just seem like an awful person and a woman with no agency. What's worse is, Jin exists and Angel exists. Jin a guy who has the demon in him who's just a cool dude, and angel the personification of the potential good in kazuya. And to the game's credit it calls heihachi out in one scene for exactly this , but it doesn't do enough and its one scene. if he would have just not murdered his wife and tried to murder his kid. This wouldn't be happening.

Obviously I have never married a demonic woman who tried to kill me. But considering he's strong enough to defend himself against her , I dunno try to like figure out what the situation is first before just killing your wife. They never really expand on that they just go " She got crazy sometimes then one day she got really crazy and I just had to put her down " and its told from heihachi's perspective. And it just seems like an abuser embelishing a story to make him look less shitty. Like if there was a kazumi perspective where it was heihachi and her working with the thing to try and like work with the demon thing and for whatever reason her demon was just way too out of control and that's what it came to. If that lead to his treatment of kazuya it wouldn't excused the child abuse, but it would make him seem at least somewhat sympathetic. As it stands the characters who litterally turns into various types of satans in the story have more capacity for good that this asshole. And it is fucking baffling that they tried to fast track sympathy for heihachi by having him do the thing he's known for, trying to murdering his family for his own purposes. And robs kazumi of agency in doing do

Heihachi is fucking endevor and fuck them both

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I think the thing that i'm more critical about when it comes to tekken with women is kazumi and heihachi. Kazumi just ends up...I would call it " magically evil " she's just evil for no reason with no explanation because demon and heihachi haaaaas to kill her for...whatever reason. She's also the one who sends akuma after her husband and son, and all this is kind of in service of making heihachi more sympathetic. It really doesn't and it makes kazumi just seem like an awful person and a woman with no agency. What's worse is, Jin exists and Angel exists. Jin a guy who has the demon in him who's just a cool dude, and angel the personification of the potential good in kazuya. And to the game's credit it calls heihachi out in one scene for exactly this , but it doesn't do enough and its one scene. if he would have just not murdered his wife and tried to murder his kid. This wouldn't be happening.

Obviously I have never married a demonic woman who tried to kill me. But considering he's strong enough to defend himself against her , I dunno try to like figure out what the situation is first before just killing your wife. They never really expand on that they just go " She got crazy sometimes then one day she got really crazy and I just had to put her down " and its told from heihachi's perspective. And it just seems like an abuser embelishing a story to make him look less shitty. Like if there was a kazumi perspective where it was heihachi and her working with the thing to try and like work with the demon thing and for whatever reason her demon was just way too out of control and that's what it came to. If that lead to his treatment of kazuya it wouldn't excused the child abuse, but it would make him seem at least somewhat sympathetic. As it stands the characters who litterally turns into various types of satans in the story have more capacity for good that this asshole. And it is fucking baffling that they tried to fast track sympathy for heihachi by having him do the thing he's known for, trying to murdering his family for his own purposes. And robs kazumi of agency in doing do

Heihachi is fucking endevor and fuck them both

I never thought about comparing Heihachi to Endeavor, but it totally works. You're also right about how way way too much of Tekken 7's story is just built to humanize a famously abusive character. His wife doesn't even really get any characterization before she just turns evil. There is really nothing to her, and they don't even really explore her relationship with her son. She's just someone Heihachi loved, then killed, and that somehow justifies everything he did in the rest of the series I guess.

Tekken is a cool series, with a lot of characters who could be main characters. Still, more recent character have felt a little less developed compared to the older characters. Lucky Chloe felt like they just wanted a pop idol archetype and didn't care how she fit in the series.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad Kaz, though a gross person himself, got to throw pops off the ledge again. Hachi deserved to burn.

I hope Jun returns for real. There's a potentially cool story there for her if they do.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super excited to hear a new Brigandine game is coming out.... and of course the women faction leaders are scantily dressed.

Brigandine-The-Legend-Of-Runersia_Monarchs.jpg

This is the original Brigandine though:

Edit:

I guess the old game still had some minor issues.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
There's a world of difference between the old and new, tbh. The new ones are comically bad.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's why I said minor issues. I had to reach to even find the ones I did.

You should watch the trailer linked in the other threads OP. Each faction has a group shot in the middle, and it's ridiculous how bad most of the women are now.

Edit: Eh, here's the link.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
She's also the one who sends akuma after her husband and son, and all this is kind of in service of making heihachi more sympathetic
I rather learn about what Kazumi did to make Akuma indebted into her than anything regarding the Mishimas. I really didn't care much for their rivalery, and it shows when the people in my Tekken playgroup would rather discuss about the various iterations of King and Armor King then what is supposed to be the main story. Akuma was litereally the most interesting part of it, and he's not explained at all. Also, it's weird that it seems to suggest that Kazumi wants to die or something because Devil Gene but she's actually supposed to kill Heihachi? I'm not too sure... Also I wonder if they're ever going to outright say that Lili has got the hots for Asuka and her big hands.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, that's why I said minor issues. I had to reach to even find the ones I did.

You should watch the trailer linked in the other threads OP. Each faction has a group shot in the middle, and it's ridiculous how bad most of the women are now.

Stella looks like a sexy Bloodborne OC.

Across the various factions, there are a handful of acceptable to decent/good lady designs but they are greatly outnumbered.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Image Text: "There is no clue as to what these two women in bed together are doing: the image might represent a mistress and servant, or two friends sharing a bed as many did away from home; but they are apparently embracing"

Uh..yeah...sure is no reason why there's two women in the bed naked embracing. Certainly can't there be an explanation here.

EDIT: Apparently fake

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
BG has always done a good job of having a diverse cast of characters. BG2 especially has a great lineup.

34abc0dc408a2064e2f9f37a477bc123.jpg

Obviously you got the classic fantasy tropes like super beautiful elf women but that comes with the territory when you're emulating D&D.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Image Text: "There is no clue as to what these two women in bed together are doing: the image might represent a mistress and servant, or two friends sharing a bed as many did away from home; but they are apparently embracing"

Uh..yeah...sure is no reason why there's two women in the bed naked embracing. Certainly can't there be an explanation here.

"They're wrestling". If lesbian erasure wasn't so nasty, this particular example would be kind of hilarious in its (clumsily feigned) 5-year-old obliviousness.

Is the book recent? Not that this kind of shit doesn't keep happening even now...

Oct 25, 2017

just two friends chillin in the bed naked as you do

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah... I was suspicious of this tweet when it failed to site a source, but it's 100% just someone trying to "get the tweets" (even asking people to draw fan art now... Groan). The tweet crops out the section title at the top of the mysterious book, which is "sexual experiences". So the book is obviously being tongue in cheek, not attempting to ignore homosexuality. And if that's bad enough, here's the original Ballad with translation:

ONe morning of late, hard by Billingsgate,
There Dolly she happen'd to meet with young Kate,
They Quarrel'd and Fought, and made a sad Rout,
And if you wou'd know, Sirs, what it was about,
I will tell ye.

Last Wednesday night, young Kate did invite
The Husband of Dolly, her Joy and Delight,
And merrily they, did Frolick and Play,
A whole Winter's night, till the morning next day;
was it fitting?

Doll.
You're Impudent grown, shall I lye alone,
And you have delight, while his poor Wife has none;
You saivry young Sow, I will not allow
Such doings, but here I will pummel ye now,
ye bold Strumpet.

Kate.
Marry gap, Mistress Gill, my mind to fulfill,
I'de have you to know he shall come when he will,
And yet not by stealth, ye impudent Elf,
I have as much right to the Man as your self,
he's no Husband.

Doll.
I'de have ye know before I do go,
That I can a Lawful Certificate show;
Thus I am his Wife, the joy of his life,
But you have between us created much strife,
ye bold Strumpet.

Kate.
A Twelvemonth ye Whor'd, then he did afford
A Marriage, by leaping twice over a Sword,
Your Shams I degrade, for Robin he said,
That under a Hedge-Row that Writing he made;
hopeful Marriage.

Ye pittiful Trull, I never did gull
Like you, the poor Drummer, last Summer, at H[ul]l
An impudent Stock, went breaking his Lock,
And stole the man's Shirt, for to make ye a Smock.
ye bold Strumpet.

Kate.
Slut this is a Lye, she then did reply
But here is one truth, which you cannot deny,
Ye pittiful Punk, last week ye were Drunk,
Four men had ye home, and they told me ye stunk
like a Pole-Cat.

Kate.
Are you not a shame, to all of your name?
All honest good people against you exclaim:
You left your poor Brats, and went to the t[?] [?]ats
There lay with a Man for a bushel of Sp[yri]ts,
out upon ye.

Doll.
I'll make ye to smoak, for what ye have spoke
Since you do so often my patience provoke,
What flesh can forbear? besides I declare,
Your Neighbors knows all well enough what you are
Mistress Trinkets.

Kate.
She gave her a thrust, and said, do your worst,
If you have much Money that does lye and rust,
W[h]y then go to Law, I won't stand in awe;
With that down her Face she her Tallents did claw,
with a vengeance.

The other she flew, and gave her her due,
First tore off her Hood, Quoif, and Filleting too:
They fight and did Scold, and both kept their hold,
At length in the Kennel together they roll'd,
like two fat Sows.

The Women and Men, soon parted 'um then,
And bid them be Friendly and quiet agen:
Their words did prevail, together they Sail,
And drank up two quarts of hot Brandy and Ale,
in good Friendship.

FINIS.

There's enough real examples out there without needing to give attention to someone who is just posting things out of context for the retweets.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah... I was suspicious of this tweet when it failed to site a source, but it's 100% just someone trying to "get the tweets" (even asking people to draw fan art now... Groan). The tweet crops out the section title at the top of the mysterious book, which is "sexual experiences". So the book is obviously being tongue in cheek, not attempting to ignore homosexuality. And if that's bad enough, here's the original Ballad with translation:

I will tell ye.

was it fitting?

Doll.
ye bold Strumpet.

Kate.
he's no Husband.

Doll.
ye bold Strumpet.

Kate.
hopeful Marriage.

ye bold Strumpet.

Kate.
like a Pole-Cat.

Kate.
out upon ye.

Doll.
Mistress Trinkets.

Kate.
with a vengeance.

like two fat Sows.

in good Friendship.

FINIS.

There's enough real examples out there without needing to give attention to someone who is just posting things out of context for the retweets.
Yo, just wanna say thanks for clearing things up! Really appreciate your references.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I will tell ye.

was it fitting?

Doll.
ye bold Strumpet.

Kate.
he's no Husband.

Doll.
ye bold Strumpet.

Kate.
hopeful Marriage.

ye bold Strumpet.

Kate.
like a Pole-Cat.

Kate.
out upon ye.

Doll.
Mistress Trinkets.

Kate.
with a vengeance.

like two fat Sows.

in good Friendship.

FINIS.

Alright thanks for the update

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

I had the one on PS1. Yes, woman should have better armor-clothes, but the 2D art on this one seems fantastic, (3D looks meh) who is the artist?

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno. The art style is amazing, for sure, and I'll be all over this game cause I'm starved for tactical srpgs. Still just wish they had designed better women characters though. This is a rare example of a game with a 22 year gap to examine trends. The male characters are largely on par with each other while the female characters have pretty much exploded out of their tops. there was never a chance for a slow decline.

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
Playing Code Vein now.

the game does do some interesting things mechanically but I feel like they're trying to hide the games shortcomings behind over sexualized female characters. It's absurdly off putting and feels like they're pandering to the lowest common denominator with this type of low hanging fruit.

The themes they're exploring within the narrative are quite somber and heartfelt but they're choices of the juvenile character design are in conflict with that.

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
Playing Code Vein now.

the game does do some interesting things mechanically but I feel like they're trying to hide the games shortcomings behind over sexualized female characters. It's absurdly off putting and feels like they're pandering to the lowest common denominator with this type of low hanging fruit.

The themes they're exploring within the narrative are quite somber and heartfelt but they're choices of the juvenile character design are in conflict with that.

It really looks comically bad. My friend asked me to buy this so we can play co-op, but I don't want to support that kind of pandering. Told him "maybe after a BIG discount".

Are there mods that "fix" the outfits and bust sizes for PC version?

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
It really looks comically bad. My friend asked me to buy this so we can play co-op, but I don't want to support that kind of pandering. Told him "maybe after a BIG discount".

Are there mods that "fix" the outfits and bust sizes for PC version?

I'm on PS4 so I can't answer that question

It was on sale for $35 on PSN and I was desperately looking for something to fill the soulsborne void and review consensus wasn't negative enough to turn me off of it.

Now that I'm deeper into game (and not being a hormonally driven 13yo male) the "art direction" is non existent because Bandai/Namco are cheap and it looks like they're just reusing assets from God Eater 3. The blood code system and how you earn and use gifts(skills/abilities) are kinda cool the mechanics are missing the heft of a soulsborne and it just feels more button mashy because of it.

Playing this just makes waiting for Elden Ring that more painful really.

Hoping Nioh 2 will satiate my appetite

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

errpgnxvuaeh2odjzka8.jpg

I'm impressed how they drew almost every single women in this picture in such a way...the only exceptions are conveniently far in the back.

I think this particular case works because ... it is like a red carpet scene and it is not rare to find dresses like that in a more generic rich people event

Also, I just want to mention that
1) even panda is on a dress like that
2) and her reaction to kuma is hilarious

tDG9kWw.png

Jan 11, 2018
I think this particular case works because ... it is like a red carpet scene and it is not rare to find dresses like that in a more generic rich people event

Part of the issue is that every male character is wearing a very conservative tuxedo. This kind of power dynamic is problematic in real life too. When a 'fancy' dress for a woman is expected to be a bit titillating, while men's formal attire are meant to make them look serious.

And of course, the way everyone's positioned. There's a lot of focus on boobage and legs in this picture, for no good reason really.

I did not know that game existed. How is it? Screens look good.

I've never played it myself. Wanted to get it back in the day, but never did lol.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017

Also, I just want to mention that
1) even panda is on a dress like that
2) and her reaction to kuma is hilarious

tDG9kWw.png

Omg I just noticed Lucky Chloe was shoved all the way to the back, obscured to a point where even the bears take away the attention ahahaha.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Part of the issue is that every male character is wearing a very conservative tuxedo. This kind of power dynamic is problematic in real life too. When a 'fancy' dress for a woman is expected to be a bit titillating, while men's formal attire are meant to make them look serious.

And of course, the way everyone's positioned. There's a lot of focus on boobage and legs in this picture, for no good reason really.

I've never played it myself. Wanted to get it back in the day, but never did lol.

In-game art does look similar, you were right. Looks good in Retroarch (click for full screen otherwise the CRT shader will look funky)

v09wnyE.png

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of getting Granblue despite the character designs, because I am a sucker for a good fighting game. Is there even a remote chance some of the dlc skins for these women will include more clothing? Like in the original gacha game thing, did any of the women have better skins than their defaults, or were they all just progressively worse?

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I'm thinking of getting Granblue despite the character designs, because I am a sucker for a good fighting game. Is there even a remote chance some of the dlc skins for these women will include more clothing? Like in the original gacha game thing, did any of the women have better skins than their defaults, or were they all just progressively worse?

No as the original mobage has some questionable designs for women.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zeta and Katalina do:

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything other than alternate colors, though. I don't think this developer has ever done alternate costumes before.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay so this is still a thing:

(the banner is NSFW, I don't know much about this subreddit but it looks toxic from what I skimmed, so be advised).

Think I've asked before, but has there ever been this much....OBSESSION over a character's breast size?

I don't follow the fandom myself, but I heard there was a lot of similarly pathetic flak over the designs of the newest Mortal Kombat. But Lara Croft got maybe the most drastic re-imagining out of any sexualized videogame character I can think of, and I don't remember nearly this much backlash.

Samus also got a reduction in bust size and got a boost in muscles, and I recall fans were overall pretty positive about that.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

(the banner is NSFW, I don't know much about this subreddit but it looks toxic from what I skimmed, so be advised).

Think I've asked before, but has there ever been this much....OBSESSION over a character's breast size?

I don't follow the fandom myself, but I heard there was a lot of similarly pathetic flak over the designs of the newest Mortal Kombat. But Lara Croft got maybe the most drastic re-imagining out of any sexualized videogame character I can think of, and I don't remember nearly this much backlash.

r/Kappa tends to lean heavily towards the GamerGate POV. It's a subreddit consisting almost entirely of fighting game shitposts, complaining about SJWs and porn (disproportionately of video game characters and asian women, in case that's at all surprising).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
r/Kappa tends to lean heavily towards the GamerGate POV. It's a subreddit consisting almost entirely of fighting game shitposts, complaining about SJWs and porn (disproportionately of video game characters and asian women, in case that's at all surprising).

Figured.

But the Boobgate or Tifagate or whatever is still posted frequently elsewhere.

I had even read some speculation the reason she didn't make Top 5 in that big FF character poll in Japan was out of protest for the redesign.

I highly doubt that's true, but it's also really concerning if it is.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

Samus also got a reduction in bust size and got a boost in muscles, and I recall fans were overall pretty positive about that.

Okay, maybe I'm blind but uhh.. I don't see the difference between the two picture ?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, maybe I'm blind but uhh.. I don't see the difference between the two picture ?

That's exactly how I felt when people were pointing at the Dissidia NT model and going "See? THAT's the Tifa I remember!"

Which was doubly hilarious in that they even removed any instance of bouncing, despite being a Team Ninja developed game.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The way they animate characters in that engine basically means they cannot do new outfits. it would require doing an entirely new character. basically. Everything would have to be built from the ground up because they don't leave it to the physics and lighting to work on its own. Everything, including some lighting and shading is hand-edited.

So what you see is what you'll get sans pallet swaps.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

jfc, basically the giant bomb creeper cam segment except deadly fucking serious.

2603187-4262886689-25578.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.