• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
and the new Jaya Ballard
PW_Jaya_Preloader.jpg

Always felt there was not enough old women in games. Or just stories in general. There's 40 and older women everywhere in life in every profession and walk of life.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I admitted it because I forgot about those people being on there since I was more focused on this aspect, not because of an agenda or whatever that means. Anyway, most people were talking about this aspect with some here and there like in your quotes.

Because those were the majority in the thread in comparison to the others? And yes, it was closed because of no proof but at the time, with the knowledgeable, people were talking over this information.

Yeah, no; "the majority of the people were talking about the English cert" is a straight, barefaced lie. Here's the first ten posts:
  1. If it means less of the creepy pedobait games I say good.

Good riddance.

2. "I guess this means the next Nier will have to have an old man protagonist like in Gestalt or they won't be able to release it on PS"

I was always under the impression Gestalt was the canon one and Replicant was a concession to Japanese market.

Also some of the comments genuinely seem worrying, because if I have to make my assumptions about what they figure Sony is "censoring", then I want off this planet.

3. Good, Sony. Keep trash hentai games out of PlayStation, keep things like Nier or Persona.

4. "Just put parental controls on and don't restrict games intended for adults."

At least make sure the characters you're sexualizing are adults then.

5. What games are being censored so far? the only example seems to be pedophile garbage, anything else?

6. The comments made me laugh.

7. [tweet about the English cert]

8. Good on Sony, others should follow. This unhealthy obsession with lite-pedophilla should not be supported.

9. Great news. Hopefully the don't allow the seemingly creepy underage girl sexualization. Why is anyone for this?
  10. Wtf? Would you like it if Sony of America sent a North American dev through certification process in Japanese?

Eight talk about the censorship (either for or against, mostly the former), two about certification. Who exactly are you trying to fool here?

Anyhow, I'm off to sleep.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"People say they really want one sexy man game therefore women don't have a problem to be objectified"

is that the WORST take we ever had on ANY of those threads ?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Since there's a thread now where people propose that some games portray sexualized male characters to appeal to the women and gay audience, I think the point of this thread is not valid anymore. Either people will recognize the right to show both kinds of sexuality, or none. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's pure hypocrisy.
"Now we can finally stop criticizing the anime titty!" lol.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
"People say they really want one sexy man game therefore women don't have a problem to be objectified"

Oh there were a ton of shit tier takes in the first thread. It was like some users were trying to out do each other with continually worse takes.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, that honor goes to this post on the first thread:

Very good question. It's a leftist thing. They believe they know what's best for everyone and have a compulsion to regulate everything.

I can see where this whole thing is going. What the left wants.

Eventually, the left is going to get the government to form something like "interactive entertainment content board". It will be run by some random unknown unelected people who will go through every game's content for "hate speech", "sexism", "racism", etc.

They will determine what sort of content we are allowed to consume. And just like every other regulation, it will do more harm than good.

First of all, it will require tax payers money to run it, publishers have to pay a fee to get their game evaluated for 'harmful' content, which will lead to more delays in release dates, because they might be forced to redo game assets the board finds offensive. In addition to that, it will add more cost to games, indies will have difficulties going through all these regulations and last but not least, creative vision is being altered.

This is my prediction. It's what the left wants. They want to regulate everything. They want their subjective vision to govern reality.

So far, there have been some close ones but this still is the worst take in any of these threads.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Goblin Slayer has nothing to do with Isekai. The designs that you're talking about are common ones for fantasy series, which is what generally a isekai will employ for it's alternate world with influences of the fantasy elements like Dragon Quest and other medieval series.

I didn't say Goblin Slayer is an isekai, I said:

whereas Goblin Slayer has basically stereotypical comedy isekai characters get brutally killed and raped. It legit does not make sense how those characters in the first episode behave when [...]

"has basically" and "comedy isekai"

So I'm comparing these characters (from episode 1) to ones from e.g. Konosuba. Where am I saying that the show Goblin Slayer is an Isekai? The point is specifically that those characters are completely unfit to the oh so dark fantasy world Goblin Slayer supposedly portrays. But thanks for your irrelevant 'statements', sales figures and what have you that keep missing the points being made.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
There's already plenty of fanservice for people who want women in skimpy outfits or with model-tier bodies, or where the camera zooms in up their asscrack with them completely unawares. People wanting more less-sexualized depictions of women is not equivalent to men who refuse to acknowledge sometimes people wanna see sexy guys too given the dearth of them. This shouldn't be hard logic to grasp, yet somehow it is.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently if I dislike rape in my anime it's "my problem, not the anime's". Good to know the lengths of justification they will go for a shitty anime.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say Goblin Slayer is an isekai, I said:

"has basically" and "comedy isekai"

So I'm comparing these characters (from episode 1) to ones from e.g. Konosuba. Where am I saying that the show Goblin Slayer is an Isekai? The point is specifically that those characters are completely unfit to the oh so dark fantasy world Goblin Slayer supposedly portrays. But thanks for your irrelevant 'statements', sales figures and what have you that keep missing the points being made.

You know? Forget it. It's a useless discussion that won't go anywhere and I'll just lose my time.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Anyhow, I came here to point out the meltdowns about Sony's apparent new policy regarding content in Japanese games, which I consider a net win.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...-games-to-go-under-english-inspections.77364/
Strangest timeline, innit? In short there'll be more sexualized women on Nintendo's console than Sony's.

The "meltdown" have nothing to do with what you think of but the absurd policy of two regulations (one being in english) for companies to be able to launch a game in PS4 in Japan which is an added cost. That's terrible and at best will only make those companies go to other platforms if they don't want to follow it, not make those games disappear.
Nemesis162, do you really think the removal of the PS4 (and all future Sony platforms) as an option will have little impact on games based around creepy content? Relying solely on one Nintendo platform for the console business for this shit seems like a shakier business model to me, costs are going up and multiplat Nintendo /Sony development was at least a recent positive for smaller developers following the Switch. It won't make them disappear but it's still a major strike against them on consoles going forward.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm always amazed at people who think one thread, point or handful of examples about 'but sexualised men!' is some kind of gotcha that means the hundreds of examples in this discussion are now just one side of a coin, and so it can be packed up and no longer discussed. Maybe they would rather put it in a box marked 'stand back, women! I have solved this media issue with three sentences of my flawless logic!' rather than be reminded of it's endemic nature on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
all the Magic the Gathering chat

Heck yeah. Had an animated version of this card art pop up in my Facebook feed as a sponsored post for MtG Arena just now and thought I'd share her badass self here

gtjozNU.jpg

The great thing about Magic ladies is how varied they all are. I'm pretty casual but I mostly play black and I really like sexy corset vampires like Liliana but as is often repeated in threads like this is that it's the variety (or lack thereof, as is often unfortunately the case) of styles of representation that are important so it's nice to be able to have functional, fully armoured warrior women along with that.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Since there's a thread now where people propose that some games portray sexualized male characters to appeal to the women and gay audience, I think the point of this thread is not valid anymore. Either people will recognize the right to show both kinds of sexuality, or none. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's pure hypocrisy.

Gamer fragility in action. "One dude is hypothetically sexualized, therefore all female sexualization is always okay, gotcha feminists! *emo mantears*"

People like Serge Chrono are why this thread exists.

I also like how a certain statistics-obsessed poster suddenly loses any ability to count the moment they can complain about animu games being """"censored"""". Suddenly, after his constant spams of sale figures to prove points nobody cared for, counting stopped mattering at all and outright lies are made immediately. The disingenuousness is on full display.

Apparently if I dislike rape in my anime it's "my problem, not the anime's". Good to know the lengths of justification they will go for a shitty anime.

Anime fans can really be the worst.

One day I'll get to talk about anime I like and why, but with such anime fans around, why bother?

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nemesis162, do you really think the removal of the PS4 (and all future Sony platforms) as an option will have little impact on games based around creepy content? Relying solely on one Nintendo platform for the console business for this shit seems like a shakier business model to me, costs are going up and multiplat Nintendo /Sony development was at least a recent positive for smaller developers following the Switch. It won't make them disappear but it's still a major strike against them on consoles going forward.

Depending if they accept or not, it'll have a big impact. Still, this thing affects all developers on Japan, not just those niche ones, even for games that will never be released on the west. The best option for them is going steam/switch if they feel that it's not worth it.

And the thing with english certification was confirmed:

Light, the studio behind Dies irae: Amantes amentes, is developing a PlayStation version (PlayStation 4 or PS Vita was not specifically clarified) of its January 2017-released ages 18 and up visual novel Silverio Trinity. Console versions of ages 18 and up titles are generally edited to meet the requirements of platform holders and ratings boards, but recent regulations imposed by Sony Interactive Entertainment have taken a stricter approach to such edits compared to the past. Silverio Trinity is one of several titles to be affected.

Light representative: "Right now Sony seems to be moving toward disallowing ports of ages 18 and up titles worldwide. And this games is ages 18 and up, so it's being subjected to a very strict inspection, and we're getting all these questions. And like 'Please write everything in English.' So we're in the middle of answering those now, and we're not sure if we'll get approved or not. It's terrible, but in any case, development is done.

"So internally it's complete, but there are things we can't do without connecting to Sony's servers, like Trophies. So everyone is like, 'When will we be able to add Trophies?'

"And we have a guy who is in charge of translating everything into English and sending it to Sony, but it's like, 'Don't you guys understand Japanese?' At present we're thinking we can release early next year if it passes Sony's inspection… And if Sony says no, then I guess we'll just find somewhere else to put it."

[…]

Moderator: "So you're waiting on approval."

Light representative: "Yeah, waiting for Sony's approval. If we put it on Steam or wherever, we could be selling it next week. But at the moment we have an agreement with Sony, so… We submitted it with this agreement and yet we're waiting for approval… Pretty awful, right?"

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/10/visual-...y-recent-sony-regulations#z2hDMrccts5m3al0.99

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Uhhh... did i read correctly? Goblin Slayer fans are now blaming the critics? What?

Why the fuck the fans of the most gross manganimes are always so... gross?

About the sony thing, the real hurdle is not the censorship (if any) but the weight it puts over the developers.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So far, there have been some close ones but this still is the worst take in any of these threads.

I can't find the exact comment but I'm pretty sure the worst was (paraphrased):

Men are too used to seeing sexualised women in media that portraying non-sexualised women is brainwashing, which will confuse men and result in a rise in mental illness.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That pose. Just....that pose. Her robo spine is going to snap in half.

I saw this and laughed.

People consider the Nier story profound and high art and amazing and stuff but when I look at it I just see like a fetishy robot sex doll. I'm not sure if that fact undermines the story -- I guess that's up to people to decide for themselves... But the portrayal approved for SC6 kind of lays it bare if there were any illusions held by anyone that the character was designed to be anything else

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Always felt there was not enough old women in games. Or just stories in general. There's 40 and older women everywhere in life in every profession and walk of life.
It's funny (or maybe bit sad) that I actually took a pause when playing Thronebreaker, since me as the player character got called a mom. I don't think I've ever been called a mom in any game before (or real life). I've played as plenty of dads though. Not to say Meve would be very old, but still it really stood out to me and made me smile. Though the game also has atleast one older woman as a possible party companion. She's a sorceress and unlike many of them she uses no magic and spells to enhance her appearance and make herself younger. The game has little bit of dialogue about this to explain her appearance, she's bit of a hippie.

I'll put the images in spoiler tags just in case, since it's so new game and the pictures have slight spoilers in form of party companions. But I've really liked the female characters in the game so far. Meve herself is great too!

2BCN2Y7.jpg

ALsC9d9.jpg
Also love Black Rayla, hopefully it's possible to keep her in the party for the whole game.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nah, that honor goes to this post on the first thread:

I spotted this complete failure to grasp the different context and proportion of male/female sexualisation/objectification in fantasy media in the 'is there a market for hypersexualised men' thread, but sure, I think you've got a 'winner' there!
We're not allowed to have sexualized characters in games anymore, didn't you guys get the message from the gatekeepers in the other thread? Stuff like fantasy armor in a make-believe universe created for an entertainment medium has to be functional at all times.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017

idk man we've had some absolute nonsense. that's a bad take but it probably doesn't even clear the top 10 Bad Takes from these threads.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm scared to ask about Goblin Slayer... I get that it's an anime but what's terrible about it? Rapey waifu nonsense?

edit: whoops dp

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Women's bodies are public commons" and "objectification isn't bad or good because the cosmos don't have morals" were some good ones too. From the same poster even. Creative, I'll give them that. Really working the angles. lol

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm scared to ask about Goblin Slayer... I get that it's an anime but what's terrible about it? Rapey waifu nonsense?

It's almost self-explanatory just by telling you that it features goblins raping female characters and this is one of the show's key visuals.

So, accordingly, I set my expectations extremely low.

Yet, those expectations were shattered upon watching the episode because it's not only gratuitous as fuck, there's also nothing good about it which would explain why its light novel or manga counterpart are as popular as they are.

The way this first episode ends is with this girl, who barely escaped death and had to watch her team members get brutally killed and/or raped and appeared to be thoroughly traumatized (understandably), just merrily joining up with the Goblin Slayer for future goblin slaying adventures. Oh and she was even horrified at the Goblin Slayer himself for killing goblin children.

I could post screenshots depicting how the raping is framed but I'd rather not...

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I spotted this complete failure to grasp the different context and proportion of male/female sexualisation/objectification in fantasy media in the 'is there a market for hypersexualised men' thread, but sure, I think you've got a 'winner' there!

Yep, saw that post, it basically comes off as "Gee, I like Quiet, I mean she breathes through her skin, but APPARENTLY that's not realistic enough for some people. Ugh. Why do that they to ruin my enjoyment like that?"

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think that goblinslayer team visual alone sums up so many of the issues that we touch on in this thread, whether it's framing, poses, sexualisation, design tropes, infantilisation or half a dozen more in comparison between the male and female characters. Not in a 'using a shitty cartoon/comic to dismiss a medium' way, but in a 'here's loads of our regular topics all in one image' way.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yep, saw that post, it basically comes off as "Gee, I like Quiet, I mean she breathes through her skin, but APPARENTLY that's not realistic enough for some people. Ugh. Why do that they to ruin my enjoyment like that?"
Yeah, it's all essentially 'I don't want to have to recognise how common this shit is in the stuff I love, so it would be so much more convenient if I could dismiss hundreds of pages of discussion with a quick 'gotcha' or if it would just go away and stop making me think about it'.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
That MtG art is actually really nice! I've never really looked into MtG before since I don't have interest in getting into it, but maybe I'll buy some art books if they've got 'em.

I'm always amazed at people who think one thread, point or handful of examples about 'but sexualised men!' is some kind of gotcha that means the hundreds of examples in this discussion are now just one side of a coin, and so it can be packed up and no longer discussed. Maybe they would rather put it in a box marked 'stand back, women! I have solved this media issue with three sentences of my flawless logic!' rather than be reminded of it's endemic nature on a regular basis.

This and people who try to suggest with a straight face that a shirtless man with abs is the same level of objectification as a flawless woman wandering around with the camera constantly zooming into her chest/butt while wearing high heels and lingerie armor. Kratos was the most objectified after all! e_e

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ths Goblin Slayer discussion has been a revelation for me, because up unitl yesterday, I assumed "Women Getting Ripped Apart By Orcs" (as referenced in the excellent and often-quoted Thermian Argument video) was a parodic mishmash of some of the worst tropes in fiction, but I guess it was referencing something far more specific.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ths Goblin Slayer discussion has been a revelation for me, because up unitl yesterday, I assumed "Women Getting Ripped Apart By Orcs" (as referenced in the excellent and often-quoted Thermian Argument video) was a parodic mishmash of some of the worst tropes in fiction, but I guess it was referencing something far more specific.

The hillarious thing? It wasn't. Goblin Slayer didn't release until a year after that video. He was making something up and made it so drastic that he thought no anime would actually do that...then Goblin Slayer proved him wrong.

edit: whoops dp

There are ten minutes in the first episode dedicated to watching women getting raped by Goblins. This isn't a hentai, but a maintsream anime.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The hillarious thing? It wasn't. Goblin Slayer didn't release until a year after that video. He was making something up and made it so drastic that he thought no anime would actually do that...then Goblin Slayer proved him wrong.

Holy shit, you're absolutely right: the video is from 2015. What a complete mind screw. :D

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
Uhhh... did i read correctly? Goblin Slayer fans are now blaming the critics? What?

Why the fuck the fans of the most gross manganimes are always so... gross?

About the sony thing, the real hurdle is not the censorship (if any) but the weight it puts over the developers.
So that thread that I got wrapped up in was about the origins of Goblin Slayer, it was a fan fiction thread on 2chan filled with popular characters from other franchises.

The show was already primed to have the worst and least introspective fans adoring it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I've only seen the first two episodes, and I feel extremely confident that your assessment is correct.
Funny thing is, according to some, at some point in the future it supposedly tones down the edge and becomes fun DnD adventures with team chemistry or whatever...but why should I trudge through the uncomfortable rapey nonsense to get to that when Dungeon Meshi is getting an anime adaptation, providing a much more wholesome alternative?

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
Funny thing is, according to some, at some point in the future it supposedly tones down the edge and becomes fun DnD adventures with team chemistry or whatever...but why should I trudge through the uncomfortable rapey nonsense to get to that when Dungeon Meshi is getting an anime adaptation, providing a much more wholesome alternative?
Haha, I've heard from reliable sources that it just gets worse. The really bad thing was people implying the show is giving a voice to sexual assault victims and not just being exploitative.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Man, Dungeon Menshii is so fucking good.

I love where that manga has gone.

The really bad thing was people implying the show is giving a voice to sexual assault victims and not just being exploitative.
PFFT haha. Oh that's a bad take on that show.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Anime, Yall should give the new season of Castlevania a watch.

The characterization of all the characters is really strong even just the side characters and it's actually funny and charming. The two main female characters are well written, and I was surprised at how much depth they gave to the series that was just a vampire slayer fighting monsters.

Haha, I've heard from reliable sources that it just gets worse. The really bad thing was people implying the show is giving a voice to sexual assault victims and not just being exploitative.

Both of this are correct, it seems that it's the calm before the storm. I didn't read spoilers but all the LN readers where like lol you naive manga readers. It actually scared me where it could go.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Every time I take a peek in this thread, the discussion has always been the same: anime, which is pretty telling. Japanese games have always been influenced by anime since the old days, and now that the sexualizations in anime getting out of hand, it'll only get worse in games too. Tags are no longer serve their purpose now, "ecchi" tag in anime has penetrated the medium because almost every popular anime would fit in ecchi category now. Now that ecchi has become the norm in anime, it'll also penetrate games too.

I made a thread earlier this year in etc about this subject, and I'm still not convinced that anime has always been this lewd since the old days, despite people told me so.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Every time I take a peek in this thread, the discussion has always been the same: anime, which is pretty telling. Japanese games have always been influenced by anime since the old days, and now that the sexualizations in anime getting out of hand, it'll only get worse in games too. Tags are no longer serve their purpose now, "ecchi" tag in anime has penetrated the medium because almost every popular anime would fit in ecchi category now. Now that ecchi has become the norm in anime, it'll also penetrate games too.

I made a thread earlier this year in etc about this subject, and I'm still not convinced that anime has always been this lewd since the old days, despite people told me so.
The discussion has been about anime because there's this latest sensation by the name of Goblin Slayer.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason you have people defending Goblin Slayer is because the show is very blatant and upfront about what it thinks about women so a lot of the shit side of anime fandom are drawn towards it. But because some of them don't want to be too blatant about how they really feel we get a bunch of bullshit about how "The rape is important to the story" and other such nonsense.

The good news is that the show is probably very niche. I've been at a anime convention all weekend and I've not seen or heard anything about Goblin Slayer since I got here.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Xenoblade 2 is a feminist power fantasy, dontchaknow?
MV5BMGNkYzM3NDQtNWQ0MC00OTFjLWI0YTAtZGYzNmZmMWEzNGU1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ3MTI0NzU@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.