• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
17 --> 19 for Kasumi and 16 --> 18 for Ayane (after years of "N/A" answers for their ages in Western releases). Making her Swedish is believed to be a jab at Sweden for denying DoA: Dimensions (3DS game) certification, as that was before DoA5's aging up by two years.

Yeah that's what I meant, I assume they aged them up after the DOA:D fiasco, and that's why they're not gonna risk having a under 18 or N/A aged character (because we all know what N/A means lol).

Tbh I don't think it's necessary bad to have underaged characters per, superheroes (like Spiderman) manages to do it just fine. But it's impossible to do it with the current state of fighting games (not only DOA but in general), where they ramp up the fanservice to sell outfits, and the alternative are gory fest that aren't necessary better so...

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
User warned: ignoring staff post, drive-by
The past few pages in here remind me why I only stick to lurking this thread.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Personally, I agree with most points raised by posters about the drawing previously, just not with the hostility used to convey them. This is a feminist thread in the end, and the critique at the core just mirrored the points we discuss here day in day out. Inexcusable hostility aside though, they still didn't seem to really agree with our reading of the design, so to me this marks a clear difference in mentality. Some people here, myself included, have very extreme views about these issues, and not everyone will share the same opinions, man or woman. So Kokonoe simply doesn't strike me as an individual all that interested in the problems we discuss here. On hindsight, asking for feedback in this thread never seemed like it would give her the responses she had perhaps hoped for. This isn't a shortcoming of her as a person, just something that I think ought to be acknowledged.

I think the bulk of the problem is how those points were communicated. Borderline calling her a pedo is not a way to have an intelligent conversation, or having any kind of ideas communicated properly. Again, especially in the context of an original design submission the poster is emotionally attached to. Let's not forget she said multiple times this character is meant to represent her personally.

There is no reason to think Kokonoe is not sensible enough to know where she was submitting her design for feedback. This thread is (usually) indeed a great feminist thread! And sure, strong and rigid opinions are common. It's ok. But having strong opinions doesn't mean having to forgo basic respect.

Like I've seen happen here in the past, the same points that were raised by posters could have been expressed in ways aimed at promoting some kind of discussion instead of shutting it down. The opinions most of us share in this thread serve nothing if we're only repeating them to ourselves ad infinitum. From time to time, it's good to exchange with a person that is not completely familiar with those views. Especially when, for once, that person is not a troll and wants to exchange with people in this thread in good faith.

Punishing someone who wants to have an honest discussion just because she doesn't appear to be the exact same as everybody else in here is, I hope, not what this community represents.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I think the bulk of the problem is how those points were communicated. Borderline calling her a pedo is not a way to have an intelligent conversation, or having any kind of ideas communicated properly. Again, especially in the context of an original design submission the poster is emotionally attached to. Let's not forget she said multiple times this character is meant to represent her personally.

There is no reason to think Kokonoe is not sensible enough to know where she was submitting her design for feedback. This thread is (usually) indeed a great feminist thread! And sure, strong and rigid opinions are common. It's ok. But having strong opinions doesn't mean having to forgo basic respect.

Like I've seen happen here in the past, the same points that were raised by posters could have been expressed in ways aimed at promoting some kind of discussion instead of shutting it down. The opinions most of us share in this thread serve nothing if we're only repeating them to ourselves ad infinitum. From time to time, it's good to exchange with a person that is not completely familiar with those views. Especially when, for once, that person is not a troll and wants to exchange with people in this thread in good faith.

Punishing someone who wants to have an honest discussion just because she doesn't appear to be the exact same as everybody else in here is, I hope, not what this community represents.

Oh no, I totally agree. The way opinions were expressed killed any chance of there being a productive and healthy discussion from the get-go. Even as a man, this thread is very dear to me as it has managed to broaden my horizons many times, so I hope everyone can use this incident as a learning experience in keeping a cool head even when faced with what may look like opposition on first glance. I have talked to a few people, and have been told a lot of women won't ever return to this thread because the hurt done, and that is a terrifying prospect to me. Without women sharing their views, this thread becomes useless.

Despite being fairly active here, I think I need to revaluate my contributions before I make them, and make sure I don't force my own feminist opinion on another woman. So I hope this thread can once again become a place where all women feel save and able to share their own point of view, so that men like me can learn from their voices.

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, I, as a functioning adult, feel they absolutely do not pass the duck test for 12-year-olds. They do not look like 12-year-olds, they do not act like 12-year-olds, and they certainly don't quack like 12-year-olds fit into society the way that a 12-year-old would. James has an arranged marriage in the Kanto series? And he's supposed to be 12? Yeah, sure.

On the other hand, the actual target audience for this is kids who are younger than 12, surely? And in that sense I can almost see that there's a joke here that they are supposed to represent, like, the impression of someone that age for a kid who's like 6-8. Remembering back to when I was that age, I can sort of understand that. As an adult though, obviously it's a pretty silly thing to say.
I think you're on to something there. If you have, say, a decorated and world weary soldier you want to make appeal to a 12-18 demographic, making him just old enough to legally drink in America is a way to keep him within the realm of relatability, even if it doesn't actually make any sense. He can be cool and edgy for the kids, but you can still use him work with "adult" themes in your story and characterization. You give the impression this character is more mature and experienced than one would logically assume from just his age.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, I, as a functioning adult, feel they absolutely do not pass the duck test for 12-year-olds. They do not look like 12-year-olds, they do not act like 12-year-olds, and they certainly don't quack like 12-year-olds fit into society the way that a 12-year-old would. James has an arranged marriage in the Kanto series? And he's supposed to be 12? Yeah, sure.

On the other hand, the actual target audience for this is kids who are younger than 12, surely? And in that sense I can almost see that there's a joke here that they are supposed to represent, like, the impression of someone that age for a kid who's like 6-8. Remembering back to when I was that age, I can sort of understand that. As an adult though, obviously it's a pretty silly thing to say.

so this was too big of a mindfuck for me to not check on lol. from what i could see, only the games ever represent them as being kids, the same age as ash, so 10. the only game they were in is yellow i think, and that was . . . damn near two decades ago so i don't really remember how they were presented it but i'll believe it. in the anime, however, they're very clearly represented as early 20s, maybe even 18 or 19. and they're anime original so that holds way more weight to me

Does anyone have any thoughts about Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan? I watched a couple of episodes and am really unsure about watching any more of it. On the one hand I'm totally down for the general premise, but the very second episode has a whole scene where a character shows up out of nowhere without introducing himself to get the main character's measurements for a flight suit by just fucking groping her without her consent (and it goes out of its way to show how uncomfortable she is), and then he's framed as an eccentric genius afterwards, and then another scene where a side character is just nakedly misogynistic.

Like, is this show secretly about workplace sexism, plus dragons? Is it worth watching more of it?

this show was really disappointing. it looks like it should be a good show, something you could even recommend to others, and it just fucks up constantly. you're not missing anything by not watching it

Jesus. I know there was the one about the live-in maid who was former military or whatever, but there was a second one?

since i'm bothering to post i'll speak on these as well

the live-in maid one is really weird. most episodes had one scene that lasted a minute or two to remind you that the maid is a lolicon, and then the rest of the show was good. like, you could recommend it to other people good. like, there was a serious story being told, and they did it well. y'all would probably even approve of the mc's character design

but that's completely ruined by the need to have those one or two minutes in every episode.

the one airing this season is a comedy about a shy otaku with no friends. i think saying she falls for her sister's classmate is unnecessarily playing up the premise. watching the show, there's never a time where i'm thinking her attraction is meant to be sexual, unlike in the maid show for example, where they make it way too clear it is. it's just an antisocial otaku obsessing over a person in the unhealthy way otakus do. i think there's something to be said for the lolipandering baiting that the premise is doing, but i also think that's different than having an actual lolicon as the mc. ultimately the show is standard anime comedy targeting people that like faux yuri, so there's no reason to go out of your way to watch. no big loss.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
Does anyone have any thoughts about Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan? I watched a couple of episodes and am really unsure about watching any more of it. On the one hand I'm totally down for the general premise, but the very second episode has a whole scene where a character shows up out of nowhere without introducing himself to get the main character's measurements for a flight suit by just fucking groping her without her consent (and it goes out of its way to show how uncomfortable she is), and then he's framed as an eccentric genius afterwards, and then another scene where a side character is just nakedly misogynistic.

Like, is this show secretly about workplace sexism, plus dragons? Is it worth watching more of it?

Watched the whole thing and nope. It has a fair bit of that even after and its always played for laughs. Not even missing out on much since the latter half of the show is generic as heck.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

I'd honestly recommend against it, and I wanted to like it. The sexual harassment is always played for laughs, and there's a lot of other stuff the show piles on (I remember something along the lines of "women are women first, soldiers second, and their job is love"), which just...happens.
The sexual harasser in particular actually ends up with the woman he harasses..

Like, yeah. He gets the girl. The harasser does. The guy making her uncomfortable while she's alone at night and he has a guy with him. That guy. The guy who mentioned he needed to break her :S It's very icky, and...never addresses it, other than treating the victim of harassment as merely a tsundere and giving her to him as a gift.

I consider it a mistake to have watched it.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Even when I'm expecting to be let down I still feel let down. At least there'll be more Aggretsuko later on.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I started playing FFXIII the other day and was shocked to find out Sazh was 40. Not becuase I thought he was younger - but because he looked and acted like he could actually be a 40 year old man! Cid from FFVII, by contrast, is 32 and I thought he pushing 50!

Theres Jade in Tales of the Abyss who everyone treats like an old man because hes... 28

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like what everyone else has said the show has a big problem with sexual assault. This video gives a great breakdown on the problems the show and anime as a whole has.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Not that it really matters and is a bit off-topic, but Jesse and James are adults according to the Japanese version of the anime, the English dub never states their ages.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Like what everyone else has said the show has a big problem with sexual assault. This video gives a great breakdown on the problems the show and anime as a whole has.

*retch*

I was actually considering watching it at some point, so thank you everyone for saving me the time and awkwardness.

I had to go and look up the train groper 'syndrome' after this. Jesus christ.

http://www.japansubculture.com/shou...-close-friend-of-the-prime-minister-says-yes/

That's insane.

I have no words to describe this. Between this and grab-them-by-the-pussy Trump, I don't think this planet can be saved. Burn it all down.

Deleted member 42158

Banned
Apr 15, 2018
the two last seasons had multiple outright pedo anime btw, including TWO DIFFERENT ONES(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) starring actual lesbian pedos(!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
It's actually three consecutive seasons

The top review of that anime

rH8rLNX.png

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

What disgusts me not is not hat someone wrote this or enjoys this utter disgusting shit.

No, it's the brazenness in which they write about it assuming anyone who reads it is gonna be okay. Like just casually recommending peadophilia to anyone. The normalising of it. The fact they've no doubt been part of a community that considers it normal.

Fuck... It's genuinely anger inducing.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I'm unsure whether to think that this is a satire of people who would actually think that, or if they actually think it...

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
Men who use my sexuality as fetish fuel are just the grosses things. And of course anime has to take it a step further and add pedophilia into it. Like, can you just stop?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's such a shockingly brazen piece that I can't discern whether it's satirizing or endorsing it either.

My general experience is that the folks who would say something like this do so both with full earnestness and layering a helping heaping of irony on top of it. Plausible deniability perhaps? But acting aware of the wrongness in such a jokey manner is still pretty disgusting.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
"As a person who is into that pure cute stuff"

Ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwww. Bleach my eyes and my brain.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
My favorite example of the way japan used to age their protagonist.

459fe3259c215a2fc7c0a1b037728b74.jpg

Only 2 are 18+ in that picture and you will never guess who and to complicate things there is a 2000 year old "dragon" in the picture, the rest are teens.
If this were released today, all those characters would be grizzled 38 year old veterans

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Somewhat unrelated, but I love it when people use the 2 shows a season that aren't completely questionable to justify that anime doesn't have a major problem with creepy behavior in general.

"You don't HAVE to watch dragon slayer, watch A Place Further than the Universe instead!"
"But what if I want to watch an action an-"
"No shut up though, you have your show"

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You want this to be the lesson, but it's far from the actual lesson.
The real lesson is that when there's harmful trends in a medium, those trends hurt everyone involved. They even hurt these temporarily benefiting from the trend (since their work fits to the trend), because even if their work does, they may not intentionally or willingy subscribe to the reasons of said trend. And yet remain part of it, and will be seen as part of it like any other part. We cannot escape the societal trends around us. We will always remain part of them. There's no escape, never.

The exact same artwork(!) outside of the context of the current infantilized-anime context, would be entirely fine and not even raise any notice whatsoever - as artwork, that piece is entirely fine.

But the context exists, independent of taste and perception. And we see this, from the current anime (the two last seasons had multiple outright pedo anime btw, including TWO DIFFERENT ONES(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) starring actual lesbian pedos(!!!!!!!!!!!!!), adding demonization of queer people to fuel the fetishes of straight guys) to the current games (including the gamer outrages when a big platform holder makes a company tone down the pedoness a slight, tiny bit).

That's the current context we live in. And as we see, it hurts everyone, from women that would like other kinds of characters (because we sure aren't getting that, and get attacked if we ask for other content, and routinely see men screeching about any woman that doesn't fulfil their little girl fantasy - again, see She-Ra, where a slight athletic frame caused a massive outburst among internet men) to women that like drawing such characters (because some dudes attack them harder than they attack dudes).

What'd really solve this is for there to be a much wider variety of female characters. The only thing that really solves this, to be honest. And for dudes to calm down. :P

Eh, that's true for Uzamaid since it was from Manga Action but Wataten was literally published on Comic Yuri Hime which have the sheer majority of the public as women by a big difference so it wasn't really for straight men.

And while those two appears on anime just now, those type of content exists out there in manga for quite some time due to the huge amount of manga that exists on the market. That of course counting the ones that have translations as not everything is out there in the internet for people to know about it.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Eh, that's true for Uzamaid since it was from Manga Action but Wataten was literally published on Comic Yuri Hime which have the sheer majority of the public as women by a big difference so it wasn't really for straight men.

Yuri Hime is a neat name, but I can't quite agree with this line of thought, I'm afraid - I used to buy that mag, you know. When Yuri Hime S died, it got merged into the mainline one, and the lead editor shifted the magazine to be more male oriented for a while. It shows, with manga like that one. Yuri Hime hasn't been mainly female aimed for years at this point.

In fact, Wataten *specifically* started in the time Yuri Hime even tried to rebrand itself away from the original Yuri term, ditching the kanji and going with rounder hiragana. The art and stories all took a hard nosedive into moe, and many outright dropped the magazine in that period.

So...dropping the mag kinda does the opposite of what you want to argue, when it's the perfect example of the exact kind of bottom-feeder manga the editor pushed into the magazine in those years to rebrand it.

Comparing a 2009 yuri hime issue to a 2016 one is *striking*. You can see the exact shift to kiddified infantilization right there.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
And while those two appears on anime just now, those type of content exists out there in manga for quite some time due to the huge amount of manga that exists on the market. That of course counting the ones that have translations as not everything is out there in the internet for people to know about it.
That makes it even worse...

And anime producers are still responsible for what they choose to adapt and increase the visibility of.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat unrelated, but I love it when people use the 2 shows a season that aren't completely questionable to justify that anime doesn't have a major problem with creepy behavior in general.

"You don't HAVE to watch dragon slayer, watch A Place Further than the Universe instead!"

And people wonder why I want nothing to do with anime.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuri Hime is a neat name, but I can't quite agree with this line of thought, I'm afraid - I used to buy that mag, you know. When Yuri Hime S died, it got merged into the mainline one, and the lead editor shifted the magazine to be more male oriented for a while. It shows, with manga like that one. Yuri Hime hasn't been mainly female aimed for years at this point.

In fact, Wataten *specifically* started in the time Yuri Hime even tried to rebrand itself away from the original Yuri term, ditching the kanji and going with rounder hiragana. The art and stories all took a hard nosedive into moe, and many outright dropped the magazine in that period.

So...dropping the mag kinda does the opposite of what you want to argue, when it's the perfect example of the exact kind of bottom-feeder manga the editor pushed into the magazine in those years to rebrand it.

Comparing a 2009 yuri hime issue to a 2016 one is *striking*. You can see the exact shift to kiddified infantilization right there.

Yeah, I do know about that part of the merger of the magazine. It's more that the majority of the readers of yuri hime still are female. If I remember correctly it's about 55% female and 45% male right now. But yes, you're not wrong that the target demography also focus on male since the merger.

That makes it even worse...

And anime producers are still responsible for what they choose to adapt and increase the visibility of.

It's more to show that this content do exist for quite some time already. The difference is that anime has few series per year with the majority of it being adaptations while manga have thousands of works on the market so in anime you rarely will see most of the things that are out there as the number is more limited and it's more expensive to do.

And as far on content made by anime producers, yeah, you can see in that way. But not only the producers of the studio but from the publisher of the manga itself which in the case of Uzamaid would be Futabasha and in the case of Wataten, Ichijinsha.

As a matter of curiosity since you mentioned producers, that was the committee of both of those anime. By order, the companies that invested more on the projects:

Uzamaid:
Kadokawa, Futabasha, Doga Kobo, AT-X, NTT Purara, Sony Music Communications, Kadokawa Media House

Wataten:
Kadokawa, Ichijinsha, Doga Kobo, Flying Dog, Sony Music Communications, Kadokawa Media House, AT-X

Source with it and other committee of anime compiled since 2017:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nhT1ebLxejyagiiLET8ajDu9CnHaTrhsRsjNdiRfur0/edit#gid=0

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree, but if someone is having their anime recs filtered through savvy or socially conscious people, you can largely avoid the gross stuff. But yeah the fact that the process is like that suggests that there might be a problem lol.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm deeply disturbed by that "women protagonists can't have sex" thread because apparently women having sex takes away their agency.

Like, that's the annoying thing. Women will be sexualized by actually enjoying sex tends to be something that players don't want unless it's down by a male avatar.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm deeply disturbed by that "women protagonists can't have sex" thread because apparently women having sex takes away their agency.

Like, that's the annoying thing. Women will be sexualized by actually enjoying sex tends to be something that players don't want unless it's down by a male avatar.
Ironically he illustrated the issue pretty concisely.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It is pretty ironic. Our culture must have some kind of implicit Madonna-whore complex to make that seem so illegitimate.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Always remember: Putting a woman in "combat" lingerie is empowering men.

But GOD FORBID she has sex. That's disempowering the male player female character. Agency for a female character has a very clear definition, in her fulfilling the one acceptable agency, which is being a perfect waifu for the player. What other agency could there be?

What, be her own person with her own dreams, able to have a boyfriend or girlfriend, like any male character? Don't be silly. That'd make her human(*).
This is gaming, so when it comes to sexism, we're living in opposite country. Ignore the strikethroughs, I'm sure they're accidental!

(*)Or a thousand year old loli dragon, that's okay too. I'm not going to be racist against thousand year old loli dragons. Why do those have a bigger representation than many groups of actual real people, though? Strange, strange. I'm sure there's no meaning behind that, though. Thinking is bad. There's no meaning, only lore, and there's a perfect lore justification for all of it, I'm sure.

(Yeah, I'm disturbed too by that. And by how brazen it is these days. A few years back people would at least pretend not to have a madonna-whore complex the size of the eiffel tower. But today, 1000-year old lolis in underwear seem more acceptable to the average gamer than a regular adult woman having sex consentually as the main character. How? How did we get there?)

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

But GOD FORBID she has sex. That's disempowering the male player female character. Agency for a female character has a very clear definition, in her fulfilling the one acceptable agency, which is being a perfect waifu for the player. What other agency could there be?

What, be her own person with her own dreams, able to have a boyfriend or girlfriend, like any male character? Don't be silly. That'd make her human.
This is gaming, so when it comes to sexism, we're living in opposite country. Ignore the strikethroughs, I'm sure they're accidental!

Very well said! :)

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

What, be her own person with her own dreams, able to have a boyfriend or girlfriend, like any male character? Don't be silly. That'd make her human(*).

(*)Or a thousand year old loli dragon, that's okay too. I'm not going to be racist against thousand year old loli dragons. Why do those have a bigger representation than many groups of actual real people, though? Strange, strange. I'm sure there's no meaning behind that, though. Thinking is bad. There's no meaning, only lore, and there's a perfect lore justification for all of it, I'm sure.

(Yeah, I'm disturbed too by that. And by how brazen it is these days. A few years back people would at least pretend not to have a madonna-whore complex the size of the eiffel tower. But today, 1000-year old lolis in underwear seem more acceptable to the average gamer than a regular adult woman having sex consentually as the main character. How? How did we get there?)

Don't forget the real world example of Japanese idols and how they have to formally apologize for being in relationships.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...nmb48-after-announcing-marriage-plans/.117913

Status
Not open for further replies.