• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Please it's spelled BONER KULTURE. Your not being historically accurate right now.
"To give them all a-cups is unacceptable."

If you ever want proof for how shitty, unrealistic, highly sexualised designs warp the perceptions of those who consume them...
TIL deciding to not give women outrageous breast sizes is censorship

RPS linked to a blogpost on the weekend about the "Gamer" boy and how the industry caters to them, which infact throttles the implementation new radical ideas:
https://reallifemag.com/well-played-game-boys/

[...]
The demand that video games be a safe space for their (white straight male) power fantasies, nostalgia, and competitive pleasures is about restricting the affective range of games, about purging them of the heterosexually "unsafe" pleasures, drives, and meanings they so often generate. The "true gamers" instead require that games remain havens of repetition, relaxation, and recuperation for people at the top of various social hierarchies — and that they serve the purpose of venting the threats to that hierarchy. Their preferred games will distribute fantasies of power and domination to placate boys who expect the unearned benefits of an unjust society while protecting them from recognizing the forms of intimacy that make those games actually pleasurable.
That industry officials so often cater to white boys doesn't only reflect the overwhelmingly white, male nature of the development space but also the fact that the industry plays a crucial role in reproducing these structures of cishetero-patriarchy and white supremacy that structure the workplace and the world.
[...]

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
And yet when I'm weirded out by the "Ship Girls" and "Tank Girls" people tell me that I'm overthinking things ...

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Compared to those weird morphing of Women and Bike , the ship-girls were harmless.
But I was also weired out and never understood how this works, that they have cannons and anchor on their back and why the keep up this this burden:

4a4da188-4316-11e8-85a5-ac162d8bc1e4.png

Therefore I think bikegirl is the pinacle of senseless combining women with stuff.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Compared to those weird morphing of Women and Bike , the ship-girls were harmless.
But I was also weired out and never understood how this works, that they have cannons and anchor on their back and why the keep up this this burden:

Therefore I think bikegirl is the pinacle of senseless combining women with stuff.
I find it to be equally questionnable , and when you take the time to dig in the source material to see what gives you see a huge load of them being even more infantilize than most female characters in manga and anime .
Like for real it's the same level of creepy.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

No matter the franchise (yes there are several ship girls games because the original Japanese game kantai collection never bothered to export itself so a Chinese clone azure lane emerged and a westerner based kickstarter game is on the way named victory belles) its always the same rules : the bigger the ship the bigger the beasts. The smaller the ship the more under aged... It's really weird. And don't get me started on their battle damaged art...

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
No matter the franchise (yes there are several ship girls games because the original Japanese game kantai collection never bothered to export itself so a Chinese clone azure lane emerged and a westerner based kickstarter game is on the way named victory belles) its always the same rules : the bigger the ship the bigger the beasts. The smaller the ship the more under aged... It's really weird. And don't get me started on their battle damaged art...

That may sway my vote towards the ship girls.... for most purposeless female anthropomorphisation of machines

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The only good kantai collection designs were the foes (until the devs found out and cursed them with otaku bait designs.)

My favorite is re-class, although their design certainly has issues

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Man it's like you have to do background checks on youtube channels you sub to, I followed one after seeing a neat Resident Evil lore video of theirs and then this guff shows up in my subscription box...

image.png

Just...just imagine pointing to this as something you produced with any semblance of pride ._.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's like you have to do background checks on youtube channels you sub to, I followed one which did neat Resident Evil lore videos and then this guff shows up in my subscription box...

image.png

Just...just imagine pointing to this as something you produced with any semblance of pride ._.
It's always best to look for a video on some sort of semi controversial topic tgo get a sense for the channel. I was about to sub to a channel doing a decent RE retrospective then decided to check his RE5 video just to be safe. Let's just say I'm glad I did and did not give that guy a sub.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
It's always best to look for a video on some sort of semi controversial topic tgo get a sense for the channel. I was about to sub to a channel doing a decent RE retrospective then decided to check his RE5 video just to be safe. Let's just say I'm glad I did and did not give that guy a sub.

Aye that's a good shout, in particular how they handle some of the trickier discussion of RE5 is a good litmust test :p

ggmanlives being all "lol deh sjws gonna be mad" over Quiet in MGS5 was a similar one for me, man what a weird challenge it is trying to steer clear of this nonsense in gaming spaces

All this MK outrage makes me wonder - did that also happen when they rebooted Lara Croft? I honestly can't remember.
She was so over abused at some point, it seemed like a relief when they stepped down from it. But she is still very pleasing to the eye, no question. If they went any further, who know what would have happened?

To be fair, David Hayter was the driving force behind the movement to make Snake's butt less flat in Smash :P
Hayter is good boy.

543251559455260683.gif

But I personally can't think of any other case like that. I guess, we would need sexy dudes first, who get toned down.
When it happens, then it is more about harmless stuff and with the male players coming along. When the first DMC5 trailer was shown, we all died over that cursed image of the new Dante. The internet went crazy over his ugliness and made fun of it in a lot of ways. But examples like that are as far as it goes.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
All this MK outrage makes me wonder - did that also happen when they rebooted Lara Croft? I honestly can't remember.
She was so over abused at some point, it seemed like a relief when they stepped down from it. But she is still very pleasing to the eye, no question. If they went any further, who know what would have happened?

That's a good point actually, I remember much of the discussion at the time being over the "you'll want to protect Lara" quotes and such from that infamous interview. I do wonder if the game's release being pre-gamergate was a factor in there being less '''censorship''' talk...

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we got this kind of "censorship" downgrade talk about her. The only thing I remember hearing was people complaining about the attempted rape and the whole "you feel like you must protect her" nonesense. Speaking of the "protect her" stuff, I remember feeling disappointed when I heard that. Lara with all her fault atleast was a strong character that feels like she owns the places she is in. Her biggest faults were the sexualisation that came with the first reboot and the 90's media.

A mix of the first couple of Tomb Raider (classic) Lara and better character design is all I wanted.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
BFM8oua.jpg

If male characters were treated like female characters.

Classic.
Well sign me up for that !Joking aside is it in anyway equally as objectifying as the original ?
Heck no that drawing doesn't even scratch up the surface of male characters sexualization and what can be done ... and how bad it can get ...
Then again yes I know the drawing was meant to be a replica of the original artwork for FFX-2 but still it's not even close ...

As for reboot Lara Croft versus original Lara Croft dunno in english circles but in french speaking places naaah the boob talk was in full swing all over again ...

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we got this kind of "censorship" downgrade talk about her. The only thing I remember hearing was people complaining about the attempted rape and the whole "you feel like you must protect her" nonesense. Speaking of the "protect her" stuff, I remember feeling disappointed when I heard that. Lara with all her fault atleast was a strong character that feels like she owns the places she is in. Her biggest faults were the sexualisation that came with the first reboot and the 90's media.

A mix of the first couple of Tomb Raider (classic) Lara and better character design is all I wanted.

I honestly never understood the 'protect her' quality people seemed to project onto Nu-Lara. I played the game and never once felt that in any way. I think most men just like the idea of saving the woman, even if they're just holding a fucking controller.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting how these things really afect what people think is women's bodies ...

like a few daus ago it happened the 1 year anniversary of one of the most famous Tik Tok and the comments on the linked tweet is FULL of derrogatory trans words. And the funny thing is .... she is not trans. She is a cis woman that did some sports at school and because of that is receiving transphobia.
That's pretty disgusting. People just assumed she was trans cause she has a few boyish features? Do these idiots realize there's always been girls like that?

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly never understood the 'protect her' quality people seemed to project onto Nu-Lara. I played the game and never once felt that in any way. I think most men just like the idea of saving the woman, even if they're just holding a fucking controller.

It was actually the developers themselves who said this, specifically this:
In the past, Lara Croft didn't need protecting. She was a fearless daredevil, a crack shot in short shorts with enough attitude to scare off a pack of bloodthirsty gorillas.

But in the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, things will be different. She hasn't become that woman yet. And executive producer Ron Rosenberg says you'll want to keep her safe.

"When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character," Rosenberg told me at E3 last week when I asked if it was difficult to develop for a female protagonist.

"They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her.'"

So is she still the hero? I asked Rosenberg if we should expect to look at Lara a little bit differently than we have in the past.

"She's definitely the hero but— you're kind of like her helper," he said. "When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."
https://kotaku.com/youll-want-to-protect-the-new-less-curvy-lara-croft-5917400

This was honestly really bad. Like why does it matter if you play as a woman or man. I certainly didn't feel that way when I played the original with my sister. She was just this badass woman and that's what we loved about her.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

This was honestly really bad. Like why does it matter if you play as a woman or man. I certainly didn't feel that way when I played the original with my sister. She was just this badass woman and that's what we loved about her.

But look, this is what I am saying. Let's take James from Silent Hill 2 for example. Dude has to run away from peril all the time, but would anyone use the phrase 'keep him safe'? I doubt it. On the other hand, would there have been a female protagonist, they likely would have. Nu-Lara faces incredible danger and doesn't get away without a scratch. That doesn't make her subpar, that's just part of that kind of experience. And because she happens to be a woman, suddenly all men - developers included - think she is in need of protection. That is all projection on their part. That's just men making it about themselves again.

Oct 27, 2017
But look, this is what I am saying. Let's take James from Silent Hill 2 for example. Dude has to run away from peril all the time, but would anyone use the phrase 'keep him safe'? I doubt it. On the other hand, would there have been a female protagonist, they likely would have. Nu-Lara faces incredible danger and doesn't get away without a scratch. That doesn't make her subpar, that's just part of that kind of experience. And because she happens to be a woman, suddenly all men - developers included - think she is in need of protection. That is all projection on their part. That's just men making it about themselves again.
I mean yeah you are right about that. It ties to the whole "can't relate" type of talking points. I can't relate with everyone obviously but sex/race/backgrounds don't matter to me. What matters is how well written the character is or how understandable the motivation of the character is. New Lara for example, is stuck on an island, isn't used to this type of life. This can be relatable to most people especially in the west. Her being a woman shouldn't prevent someone from relating to her.

I am going to be honest here, I don't like new Lara and her games. First game was somewhat of a good start even though it wasn't the Lara I loved or the same series (it was really different but fun), the next games have been criticized to death so I am skipping talking about them. However, never once did I feel the need to "protect" her. She was just another video game character I can relate to in many ways like Arthur Morgan, Kratos, Senua. Not everything is relatable but obviously there are somethings. Best way to explain what I mean is that I stop thinking I am controling the character, rather I am the character. This works because you understand the character's motivation, and new Lara's motivation in the first one was understandable enough to relate to.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

So what's the whole deal with Lara over the years anyway?

I never got into the old Core Design Tomb Raider games, but from looking over things I got the sense there was a difference between Lara in the games and Lara in the marketing material (I may have talked about this in this thread or somewhere else on this forum), and much of the reaction later on was in response to marketing Lara.

And then nu-Lara seems to be an improvement visually but a downgrade in terms of personality. Sure she's supposed to be less experienced in these new games (the first one anyway), but people now seem to miss the more confident and irreverent Lara of the older games.

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the whole deal with Lara over the years anyway?

I never got into the old Core Design Tomb Raider games, but from looking over things I got the sense there was a difference between Lara in the games and Lara in the marketing material (I may have talked about this in this thread or somewhere else on this forum), and much of the reaction later on was in response to marketing Lara.

And then nu-Lara seems to be an improvement visually but a downgrade in terms of personality. Sure she's supposed to be less experienced in these new games (the first one anyway), but people now seem to miss the more confident and irreverent Lara of the older games.
The classic Lara (think the ones made for the Saturn/PSX etc) used to have a more serious, confident Lara. She was a really cool character who got all she wanted because of her self. Her family disowned her because she went against them. Most of the sexualization came from advertising, and later games started pulling from that when she became a gaming icon.

Then you have the first reboot Lara (Tomb Raider Legend/Underworld/Aniversary). She became much more sexualized in the game. Her outfits became much more sexualized, her character became more "sexy" (by that I mean her voice and the way she talks and the various outfit she wears). You also have the whole family legacy aspect that plagued the series to this day. Instead of Lara being her own person she was always following her parents footsteps. This was later reused in the next reboot.

Then you have the second reboot Lara which threw everything about the old Lara out of the window and turned her into a very and I mean very serious and gritty Lara. The games kept promising she will become the legend eachtime which always ended in the next game going "THIS time she will become The Tomb Raider!". What we got was a Lara who was really brutal, very Rambo like and felt like a sociopath. This could have been an interesting take on her but I feel they didn't have good enough writing.

I like the classic version the best because she was her own boss. She built her self up and she was just a straight up badass. The biggest problems with her was the design which looked fine at the start until they kept making her breasts bigger and focusing on the sex appeal.

If they ever make a reboot then I hope they go back to the classic Lara personality and history but with better character design, something similiar to reboot 2 Lara would be great. Also bring back the braids and the very fluid movements of her and the dual wield pistols.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019

For what it's worth, and in case anyone cares, I didn't express myself very well in this quote:

"I'm not terribly convinced that there's a large population of folks who would be playing video games if it weren't for all the scantily-clad and/or large-breasted female characters. "

would was supposed to be wouldn't. I was trying to make the point that most people don't make a game purchase decision based on whether or not the female characters are sexy to look at.

FML. -_-

Oct 25, 2017
Man it's like you have to do background checks on youtube channels you sub to, I followed one after seeing a neat Resident Evil lore video of theirs and then this guff shows up in my subscription box...

image.png

I just assume that every single gaming channel is nazi trash nowadays. Before I watch a video, I check out the titles of the rest of their work. It usually takes about three seconds to figure out if the people behind the channel are shitlords or not and I've had a 100% success rate thus far.

Mar 25, 2019
He was downplaying the want for female representation in the medium, later citing gamergate-type youtubers as objective sources of analysis on the matter. His ilk isn't wanted here.

I'm not sure where you were going with "downplaying the want for female representation in the medium". The more women that are interested in playing, designing and making content about video games, the better, IMHO.

In terms of the YouTuber I mentioned, I really don't want to dig my heels in on that topic because I know its sensitive. I'll leave it at saying that she's been very critical of GamerGate over the years. They are reactionary babies about most things & have been a major contributor to ruining any chance of having objective conversations about these types of topics. I do not support them at all.

Jan 11, 2018
If the developer's vision doesn't align with their own, it must have been compromised somehow because there is no way a developer could want to make a game that's not in line with what some gamers want it to be! /s

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

image.png

They don't know much about censorship.

It can be used for good reasons, like preventing kids from seeing inappropriate images. One episode of the Pokemon SM anime never aired here because Ash wore blackface getup. And the localized version of the "Pokemon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu" manga toned down Misty's breasts from a D cup to an A cup and removed a pointless fanservice scene featuring her naked. All are justified instances of censorship.

But they see it only as a negative alarmist word to complain about artistic direction. Breasts toned down? "SJWs are forcing developers to censor muh tiddies!" Transphobic cutscene taken out? "SJWs are censoring the developer's creative vision!". Crappy fanservice game removed little girl groping? "SJWs are censoring sexual expression! Maybe the little girls wanted to be groped!". To them, it's just another fear-mongering word that plays into their insecurities and incites their audience to harass their targets.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
They don't know much about censorship.

It can be used for good reasons, like preventing kids from seeing inappropriate images. One episode of the Pokemon SM anime never aired here because Ash wore blackface getup. And the localized version of the "Pokemon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu" manga toned down Misty's breasts from a D cup to an A cup and removed a pointless fanservice scene featuring her naked. All are justified instances of censorship.

But they see it only as a negative alarmist word to complain about artistic direction. Breasts toned down? "SJWs are forcing developers to censor muh tiddies!" Transphobic cutscene taken out? "SJWs are censoring the developer's creative vision!". Crappy fanservice game removed little girl groping? "SJWs are censoring sexual expression! Maybe the little girls wanted to be groped!". To them, it's just another fear-mongering word that plays into their insecurities and incites their audience to harass their targets.

It's easy for them to blame an outside source for something like when a game is changed overseas but didn't the MK guy even say, "Yep no more bikini warriors! No regrets! This is what we're doing now!"? They lose that leg to stand on and go full conspiracy nut, "Obviously he's been BRAINWASHED by those pesky SJWs and their agenda!"

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I find it so funny and sad, that these morons get so offended and hyper focus on the looks of these characters, that they literally only talk about it
I don't know to directly upload a image on here, but it's a complication of all the articles of That One Angry Gamer did about the game

ALL of them is literally just about the female characters

like, the original characters in Mortal Kombat wasn't even that sexy at all

What gives?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it so funny and sad, that these morons get so offended and hyper focus on the looks of these characters, that they literally only talk about it
I don't know to directly upload a image on here, but it's a complication of all the articles of That One Angry Gamer did about the game

ALL of them is literally just about the female characters

like, the original characters in Mortal Kombat wasn't even that sexy at all

What gives?

See the button that looks like a picture? Just past the link in there an it will show up

1555367731602.png

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
See the button that looks like a picture? Just past the link in there an it will show up

1555367731602.png

I actually tried that, and it didn't work, but thanks

Is it kinda ironic that these guys are always blasting on how "game journalism" is bad because of SJWs

Yet there own journalism is bs, literately nothing about the game itself

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Speaking of Kitana I was checking out the MK Reddit given the leaks and ran into this rendition. To the forum's credit that's a much less sexualised picture that's been up for less time and have more up votes.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Speaking of Kitana I was checking out the MK Reddit given the leaks and ran into this rendition. To the forum's credit that's a much less sexualised picture that's been up for less time and have more up votes.
The fact that this piece of art is called "True Kitana" speaks volumes about the artist and his or her views.

So... the only "true" Kitana is a naked Kitana? Good grief!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I'm having such a hard time getting into Nier Automata. I love everything about the game and knew 2B was sexualized but god I didn't think her underwear would be displayed every time she sprints. And, like, she seems like a great character (so far) other than that. I just can't get over the fact that the game does everything it can to show her underwear during combat or exploration. I makes zero sense in this game, totally out of character and context, feels like the game has a perv mod on or something.

Eww.
I appreciate the director's metacommentary on achievements by making them all buyable with in game currency because I bought all the achievements I was missing since I gave up on the "Look up 2B's skirt 'x' times" achievement. After buying all the achievements and seeing the Platinum trophy appear with a soft pop, it was like an epiphany about why should I bother with all achievements.

On the other hand, I believe the director stated that the outfits are the way they are cause they thought it looks cool.

... and I mean. It's a pretty distinct look. The contrast of black and white and the blindfold and contrast of the huge weapons.

It's seemingly strangely skeevy in contrast to the tone of Automata though it was everpresent the director's other works like Drakengard and Nier too. It's just something so ingrained that I just give it a pass to enjoy the rest of it. Alas.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I'm having such a hard time getting into Nier Automata. I love everything about the game and knew 2B was sexualized but god I didn't think her underwear would be displayed every time she sprints. And, like, she seems like a great character (so far) other than that. I just can't get over the fact that the game does everything it can to show her underwear during combat or exploration. I makes zero sense in this game, totally out of character and context, feels like the game has a perv mod on or something.

Eww.
If it helps the game has sexuality as part of the narrative so its not like it was put in there devoid of context because of its purpose within the world even if the director has expressed his hornyness.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I've been curious about how to properly address this without looking/sounding like a moron.

I know that 3d scanning and face scanning is a thing, but I really enjoyed that Katana looked like a "real asian person" versus just a caricature of an anime rendition of it. Is that okay to say or does that still come off douchey?

It's just nice between her and the other two bros in the nostalgia trailer (Sorry I'm not well versed in MK) actually looking like Asian people versus reskinned white people.

If I say that do I look dumb? Because I've been digging their character models since Injustice 2 and this game have stepped up their game whereas everything looked like putty in Injustice 1.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I've been curious about how to properly address this without looking/sounding like a moron.

I know that 3d scanning and face scanning is a thing, but I really enjoyed that Katana looked like a "real asian person" versus just a caricature of an anime rendition of it. Is that okay to say or does that still come off douchey?

It's just nice between her and the other two bros in the nostalgia trailer (Sorry I'm not well versed in MK) actually looking like Asian people versus reskinned white people.

If I say that do I look dumb? Because I've been digging their character models since Injustice 2 and this game have stepped up their game whereas everything looked like putty in Injustice 1.
Injustice 1 was so ugly I stopped playing it, no joke. Everything about it was hideous. I2 was such a massive improvement, it's crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.