• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Dead Space 2 was recently added to the Xbox FPS boosted games and I was playing through it and what they did to Ellie is criminal. EA was very open that DS2 underperformed and wanted to expand its appeal with DS3.

Ellie in DS 2

DS3

Too soon.

And I'll add this: the change in design is the least of the CRIMES committed against Ellie in the sequel to Dead Space 2. She was such a great character...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

also bonus from the previous KOF

regfvZ9.gif

Entered the thread to post about this. Full render:
jgNIOJo.png
The announcement thread has six pages of gushing, with precisely one user daring to ask why this kind of design gets a pass in 2021, and being promply met with "well other games are worse" and "she's been like this since 2001".

Mmmmkay

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
*glances at Eula*

Right...

Genshin used to start out rather okay in the variety department, but it took a hard turn into waifu earlier this year and it seems to be struggling to recover from that. It's why there's a high amount of hype for Itto, who's apparently a burly biker gang type of dude, but people are disappointed that he's not actually as buff in-game as his artwork depicts going off of beta leaks (due to him reusing the 'tall male' model).

xGyvfp-I5UdX2OWfGrykFQh1C5TvgVBhVN7ct0HUsp4.jpg

I follow Genshin closely, and there's a few observable things about its roster off the top of my head, especially among its 5* character cast. Namely certain elements are overwhelmingly male and others are overwhelmingly female.

- Jean is the only female 5* anemo character to date, and she was a release character.
- Diluc is the only male 5* pyro character to date, and he was a release character.
- There are no male 5* cyro characters. In fact, there hasn't been any new male cyro characters since release, with 4* Kaeya and Chongyun.
- There are no female 5* geo characters. A new 4* female geo character will be added in the next patch, while Ningguang is the only other one since release.
- There's only one male electro character, the 4* Razor who was a release character.
- (On another note, there are no male catalyst wielders yet, which is basically the game's mage archetype. At least there's a couple archers, but they don't play like actual archers.)
Itto was such a disappointment. No reason they couldn't have used him as a jumping off point for muscular characters, but instead we got the same model with a bit more defined abs. At least the fanart has been doing a better job.

Feb 24, 2018
Question, what are great examples of older playable women (over 30) in video games, especially in more action focused games?

It sometimes feels like I'm the only one who cares about how women in fighting games once they reach around 30 get killed off, retired and/or replaced with younger characters while men are allowed to age up and still be playable even when their in their 70s/80s.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Question, what are great examples of older playable women (over 30) in video games, especially in more action focused games?

It sometimes feels like I'm the only one who cares about how women in fighting games once they reach around 30 get killed off, retired and/or replaced with younger characters while men are allowed to age up and still be playable even when their in their 70s/80s.
The woman in Returnal (Selene) seems to be somewhere around 40.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Chloe Frazer is 41, Elena is 37, and Nadine is mid-30s according to Uncharted wiki

Ertai

Oct 28, 2017

Ana from Overwatch is a character i really love.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Jill in RE is born in 1974, so she's 31 in Revelations and 31 and 35 in RE5. Claire is 32 in Revelations 2 (born in 79, and it takes place in 2011). Ada is born in 74, same as Jill, so she's 37-39 in RE6, which variously takes place in 2011 to 2013. If Rebecca is back in Rev 3 as the rumors suggest, she'll be in her 30s as well, as she was born in 1980.

Lady might be in her early 30s in DMC4. The exact timeline is a bit shaky, but she's some years younger than Dante (she's somewhere between 15-18 in DMC3, and Dante is somewhere between 18-22). Dante is in his early-mid 40s in 5, and DMC4 takes place sometime between 5-10 years earlier, give or take.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Jill in RE is born in 1974, so she's 31 in Revelations and 31 and 35 in RE5. Claire is 32 in Revelations 2 (born in 79, and it takes place in 2011). Ada is born in 74, same as Jill, so she's 37-39 in RE6, which takes place in during 2011 to 2013. If Rebecca is back in Rev 3 as the rumors suggest, she'll be in her 30s as well, as she was born in 1980.

Lady might be in her early 30s in DMC4. The exact timeline is a bit shaky, but she's some years younger than Dante. Dante is in his early-mid 40s in 5, and DMC4 takes place sometime between 5-10 years earlier, give or take.
Even Resident Evil hit Sherry (born 1986) with some de-aging magic as a result of the whole virus thing, as she's supposed to be in her late 20s in RE6.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

To add some others not mentioned yet:
Crypt of the Necrodancer (you play as three generations of women)
Vermintide (Sienna)
Overwatch (Ana)
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (43 year old Juno)
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (Billie Lurk)
Bethesda RPGs

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021

Are we talking exclusively about lead characters in games? Because Sonya Blade of Mortal Kombat is stated to be 26 years old in supplementary material for the first game, and Sonya's (first) bio in Deadly Alliance outright states that its events take place a decade after the events of that game, so she's been over 30 in most of her mainline appearances since 2002. I think MKvsDCU and MK9 are the only mainline games released this century where an over-30 Sonya isn't playable or fightable.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Even Resident Evil hit Sherry (born 1986) with some de-aging magic as a result of the whole virus thing, as she's supposed to be in her late 20s in RE6.

She's 28. I know and have known some very good looking late 20/early 30 year olds, so I think she's borderline within the realm of believability. These are larger than life characters after all, so I feel some slightly extranatural qualities are at home.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are we talking exclusively about lead characters in games? Because Sonya Blade of Mortal Kombat is stated to be 26 years old in supplementary material for the first game, and Sonya's (first) bio in Deadly Alliance outright states that its events take place a decade after the events of that game, so she's been over 30 in most of her mainline appearances since 2002. I think MKvsDCU and MK9 are the only mainline games released this century where an over-30 Sonya isn't playable.
While we're on the Mortal Kombat topic, Cetrion is definitely coded as 30+, being Mother Nature and all that.

FreeWhichBeauceron-size_restricted.gif

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
MK has its own problems, to put it very lightly, but female character design is an aspect it has done well in recent years.

GrandeRampel

Jul 22, 2020
Bari, Italy

Tekken 3 and Soul Caibur 5 are the greatest offenders with how not even the main female leads (Jun Kazama and Sophitia) were spared from being killed/retired and the other female leads like Nina, Anna and Ivy didn't look older at all but other than Namco did other companies retire main female characters in their fighting games?

I don't seem to remember similar cases in stuff like Street Fighter, KoF, Virtua Fighter, Guilty Gear and so on.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Chun-Li was absent from the first two versions of Street Fighter III. Mai was absent from KOF 12 and 13. Blue Mary was the same, and she was also absent from Garou: MotW and KOF Maximum Impact 1-2. Jam is currently not in Strive, but she'll 100% be DLC.

But in those cases, they weren't killed off or retired for being too old or anything like that. Maybe Mary was retired in Garou.

---

Speaking of older female characters, I just remembered Mary from Tobal and Mitsuko from Bloody Roar.

Mary is 32:

mary-tobal-concept-art.jpg

Not sure about Mitsuko's exact age, but she's definitely over 30.

mitsuko-bloodyroar-white.jpg
mitsuko-bloodyroar-white2.jpg

Oh, and this sadly shouldn't come as a surprise: "After a survey made by Eighting [1], Mitsuko was revealed being the most hated fighter of the first Bloody Roar." And she never came back. Neither did this guy:

latest

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Chun-Li should be around that age in third strike.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Chun-Li was born in '68 according to SF2, and Third Strike supposedly takes place in '98. However, ever since SSF4, Capcom doesn't include birthdates or ages in character profiles anymore, and there's been no mention of any year dates in SF5. So it's possible the timeline has been thrown out completely. We'll see what happens in SF6.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously I can't say enough how amazing MKs current direction is ---- ESPECIALLY compared to the years of what it was before. 👍 👍 👍

It's great because of how quick of a shift it seemed to be after decades of sexualized designs for women. I'm wondering if what other examples there are of series getting better with female character designs overtime. It feels like unfortunately the opposite happens more often with franchises were good designs regress into a sexualized one with newer entries or re-imaginings.

Oct 26, 2017
Chun-Li was absent from the first two versions of Street Fighter III. Mai was absent from KOF 12 and 13. Blue Mary was the same, and she was also absent from Garou: MotW and KOF Maximum Impact 1-2. Jam is currently not in Strive, but she'll 100% be DLC.

But in those cases, they weren't killed off or retired for being too old or anything like that. Maybe Mary was retired in Garou.

---

Speaking of older female characters, I just remembered Mary from Tobal and Mitsuko from Bloody Roar.

Mary is 32:

mary-tobal-concept-art.jpg

Not sure about Mitsuko's exact age, but she's definitely over 30.

mitsuko-bloodyroar-white.jpg
mitsuko-bloodyroar-white2.jpg

Oh, and this sadly shouldn't come as a surprise: "After a survey made by Eighting [1], Mitsuko was revealed being the most hated fighter of the first Bloody Roar." And she never came back. Neither did this guy:

latest

Mitsuko was the mother of Alice and Uriko, and she was 39 in that game.

Fox is a curious case. He was male in the US release and called "Hans the Fox", but in the EU version it was a female character, "Fox Hance". I'm pretty sure about the last name although it's only from memory, the manual that I have only calls her Fox. I don't know what the JP release stated, as I can't find any scans of the manual. Rather predictably, Mitsuko and Fox were replaced by Jenny and Shina/Marvel in the next game, the former being super sexualized.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I knew Mitsuko was Uriko's mom, but I'd forgotten she was Alice's too and that Alice and Uriko were sisters. It's been so long.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY

Power Instinct series usually has an old woman rep:
oume_otane_0011.jpg

And one of the einherijar in Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is in her 50s:
reinhilde_0021.jpg

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Tekken 3 and Soul Caibur 5 are the greatest offenders with how not even the main female leads (Jun Kazama and Sophitia) were spared from being killed/retired and the other female leads like Nina, Anna and Ivy didn't look older at all but other than Namco did other companies retire main female characters in their fighting games?

I don't seem to remember similar cases in stuff like Street Fighter, KoF, Virtua Fighter, Guilty Gear and so on.
I'm still mad about Tekken 7 Kunimitsu but not surprised. Yoshimitsu can run around for God knows how long and Kuni all of a sudden had a daughter how convenient.

SFV has Menat as the apprentice of Rose and they still brought Rose back in SFV so that's cool. Idk if that really counts cuz gameplay wise they're completely different. Guilty Gear doesn't really have big time jumps compared to other fighters and Sin ages fast because of gear cells or some shit so there's no real time jump to take advantage of and VF barely has a story at all.

Doctor Zod

Jul 20, 2020
Late 40's or early 50's.

In MKX, Sonya was 52 years old I believe. Her original design for MK11 (as shown in the reveal event from January 2019) clearly implied her older self was going to remain in her 50's, BUT, it was later changed and even "old" Sonya from story mode doesn't look day older than 25.

As a matter fact, the Sonya you use outside of story mode is the younger Sonya, based on her interactions with other characters. To me, they chickened out.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Mortal Kombat is so vastly superior to what it used to be, as well as most other fighting games.
There's definitely a couple designs that are iffy, but by and large the women are so much better than you usually get in a fighting game. Cassie Cage and her drone buddy forever.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Runway from Rogue Company is a pretty dope character from this year. Well technically last year but only playable this year lol.
latest

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021

All of the female veterans of Fatal Fury were retired from the roster when Mark of the Wolves released, but Terry was the only returning character period. Same deal with Samurai Shodown's female veterans leaving when 1999's Warriors Rage came out, but that was again a near-clean sweep of the roster beyond Haohmaru and Hanzo Hattori('s son). Most fighting game series handled their time skips in the late 90s (if at all), so you were correct in implying that we generally don't see characters getting "retired" unless you're playing something from Namco.

I'm not huge on Sonya, but having a visibly older woman playable in a fighting game and alongside her ostensible replacement Cassie (please pretend they play exactly alike for the purposes of this statement) is a welcome sight.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And one of the einherijar in Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is in her 50s:
reinhilde_0021.jpg
982869307_9184c60da2.jpg

Lorenta is ...! ...Well, late 30's, which isn't as fancy as your example (which looks BOSS btw). But still, I always liked how mature and smart she looks (her idle animation has her rod float around her while she stands calmly).

Actually I found a sheet of VP character portrait art. Let's enjoy! 🌸 They're wonderfully drawn and got a lot of character to them.

106189.png

MK11's redesign of Scarlet was dope.

Oh man yes. She went from this bizarre and pointless bikini-assassin outfit, and into a plausible-looking person.

Actually, I've loved folks posting positive examples in here!! So I kinda wanna go in on MK11.

latest

The thing that killed me was the lack of variety. They were basically all swimsuits, and they literally looked like they came from the same world/artist. Now they have new added palettes, and they clearly look like they come from a real place with a real culture (that isn't a culture of fighting death matches, edgy masks, and strappy string bikinis) – their new looks ACTUALLY tell a story.
They nailed the animations for them too.

b7c5ef78-2478-4f47-928b-1755737fa084

Each character has a distinct look (facial capture for the win!). Still fierce. Absolutely still sexy; but now it feels way less cheap; it's way more appealing because the whole package is better made.

latest

Hq9NWzx.gif

Sorta squeaking in the friendships were/remain great. The oldschool throwback outfits here I feel in some way point out how silly the looks were before (I know, palette swaps saved on data). But it took a while for that stank of sameness would be wiped away.

Jade genuinely looks intimidating yet now graceful and with a way nicer outfit; I also love the confident pose with the staff.

Mileena always deserved better lol. And she got it!! It's also just absolutely ACES that the new looks still pay attention to motifs of how their original designs are based. MK11 is really what you'd expect they'd look IRL. She's still a Ninja; she's still slightly exposed, but now not trying to break her spine to get a boobs/butt pose and character-defining "purple" look... Like that it's, that was their distinction was basically colour coding and their quirk. Now it's ACTUAL outfitting.

latest

I swear their original art only designed one kind of outfit.... THEY WERE SO SAMEY. Anyways, Sheeva might be one of my favourite redesigns. She was like the epitome of 90s mega-muscular-and-super-pissed look for ages; and she had those two extra hands so she could have even MORE SPIKEY GAUNTLETS to wear...for maximum PUMMEL. 🔥🔥🔥🔥
But I love her new armor (the cloth and metallic designs again look like they come from a place with fashion/culture and not just SPIKEY GAUNTLET AND STRING BIKINI WORLD ™.

I skimmed a lot of MK10; things indeed got better here....But I don't think their designs were as fun or more cohesively and fun designed as MK11. Jacqui got a plain ol' tank top, army tags, and metal fist is really tame lol. MK11 gets body armor, way more colour, and a way more fun and expanded visual design (and some swell alts).
latest

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the original Valkyrie Profile is great. Good writing, intriguing characters and story... I miss all the weird early Tri-Ace games.

I wish I didn't know what the VP franchise has become... T_T

Oct 25, 2017
982869307_9184c60da2.jpg

Lorenta is ...! ...Well, late 30's, which isn't as fancy as your example (which looks BOSS btw). But still, I always liked how mature and smart she looks (her idle animation has her rod float around her while she stands calmly).

Actually I found a sheet of VP character portrait art. Let's enjoy! 🌸 They're wonderfully drawn and got a lot of character to them.

106189.png

Oh man yes. She went from this bizarre and pointless bikini-assassin outfit, and into a plausible-looking person.

Actually, I've loved folks posting positive examples in here!! So I kinda wanna go in on MK11.

latest

The thing that killed me was the lack of variety. They were basically all swimsuits, and they literally looked like they came from the same world/artist. Now they have new added palettes, and they clearly look like they come from a real place with a real culture (that isn't a culture of fighting death matches, edgy masks, and strappy string bikinis) – their new looks ACTUALLY tell a story.

Each character has a distinct look (facial capture for the win!). Still fierce. Absolutely still sexy; but now it feels way less cheap; it's way more appealing because the whole package is better made.

latest

Hq9NWzx.gif

Sorta squeaking in the friendships were/remain great. The oldschool throwback outfits here I feel in some way point out how silly the looks were before (I know, palette swaps saved on data). But it took a while for that stank of sameness would be wiped away.

Jade genuinely looks intimidating yet now graceful and with a way nicer outfit; I also love the confident pose with the staff.

Mileena always deserved better lol. And she got it!! It's also just absolutely ACES that the new looks still pay attention to motifs of how their original designs are based. MK11 is really what you'd expect they'd look IRL. She's still a Ninja; she's still slightly exposed, but now not trying to break her spine to get a boobs/butt pose and character-defining "purple" look... Like that it's, that was their distinction was basically colour coding and their quirk. Now it's ACTUAL outfitting.

latest

I swear their original art only designed one kind of outfit.... THEY WERE SO SAMEY. Anyways, Sheeva might be one of my favourite redesigns. She was like the epitome of 90s mega-muscular-and-super-pissed look for ages; and she had those two extra hands so she could have even MORE SPIKEY GAUNTLETS to wear...for maximum PUMMEL. 🔥🔥🔥🔥
But I love her new armor (the cloth and metallic designs again look like they come from a place with fashion/culture and not just SPIKEY GAUNTLET AND STRING BIKINI WORLD ™.

I skimmed a lot of MK10; things indeed got better here....But I don't think their designs were as fun or more cohesively and fun designed as MK11. Jacqui got a plain ol' tank top, army tags, and metal fist is really tame lol. MK11 gets body armor, way more colour, and a way more fun and expanded visual design (and some swell alts).
latest
I love the first two VP games. Also there's a good reason why I look at people different when they say the MK characters aren't as sexy as they used to be. It's because they look and dress like realistic people now and not plastic fetish dolls. Everybody won with their MK11 designs and you can tell a bunch of people had a say with how they were designed and it wasn't just men, it's great. Also I straight loved Scarlet looking like a Helghast from Killzone with her outfit. Her color palette and sharp facial features just make her all kinds of deadly, while still having an element of sexiness to her.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
982869307_9184c60da2.jpg

106189.png

latest

latest

Hq9NWzx.gif

latest

latest

Not only does MK11 scrap the sexualized bikinis bit gives the cast objectively better designs. You could have 300 tasteful designs and the MK dudebros will say it's worst because the girls are more covered up or have smaller breast. I just hate how these dudes pretend to appreciate good character design when all they want is a fucking bikini. It's like impossible for them to think woman can be covered up AND still visually stylish. I hope SFVI takes a lesson from MK and not double down like KOF XV.

Oct 25, 2017
Not only does MK11 scrap the sexualized bikinis bit gives the cast objectively better designs. You could have 300 tasteful designs and the MK dudebros will say it's worst because the girls are more covered up or have smaller breast. I just hate how these dudes pretend to appreciate good character design when all they want is a fucking bikini. It's like impossible for them to think woman can be covered up AND still visually stylish. I hope SFVI takes a lesson from MK and not double down like KOF XV.
Why do men think women that fight and train all day are supposed to have big breasts in the first place? Most women fighters and body builders are very flat since they turn to muscle. Women body builders actually tend to have implants if they actually are busty. Some people really don't know anything about biology and also need to learn that there's nothing wrong with a woman being flat. And by "flat" I mean that they're not large D cups.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
982869307_9184c60da2.jpg

106189.png

latest

latest

Hq9NWzx.gif

latest

latest
lol can you believe there's a 4 hour video "takedown" of MK11 and it spends like half an hour saying the new designs are bad because "they don't say anything about the character's culture or personality."

Yeah the old leotards totally did.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
lol can you believe there's a 4 hour video "takedown" of MK11 and it spends like half an hour saying the new designs are bad because "they don't say anything about the character's culture or personality."

Yeah the old leotards totally did.

Their ass is after all part of their character, so the new design clearly lack character and personality.

Mmmmkay

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Why do men think women that fight and train all day are supposed to have big breasts in the first place? Most women fighters and body builders are very flat since they turn to muscle. Women body builders actually tend to have implants if they actually are busty. Some people really don't know anything about biology and also need to learn that there's nothing wrong with a woman being flat. And by "flat" I mean that they're not large D cups.
That's a bit of a weird response? Some women just.... have large breasts? That only becomes a problem when every single character is spilling out. Please don't shame a body type.