• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways, how did the female armor end up in Monster Hunter World?

There are a few that are definitely just chainmail bikinis, but I'm loving some of the new sets.

BGYekhe.png

Oct 25, 2017
canada
When was the last time (has there ever been) a fighting game explicitly marketed towards females?

not to shit up the thread, but SNK heroines seems marketed to various females that I know.

I mean, i know like maybe 3 or 4 women who I know are into what heroines is about, so its still super niche.

Theres a lotta all female anime fighters, and skullgirls, but not sure if those are tailored for feminine women

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
not to shit up the thread, but SNK heroines seems marketed to various females that I know.

I mean, i know like maybe 3 or 4 women who I know are into what heroines is about, so its still super niche.

Theres a lotta all female anime fighters, and skullgirls, but not sure if those are tailored for feminine women
I mean I know a lot of wlw into fanservicey stuff, and that's fine, I like it sparingly myself. But I'm really not sure that SNK Heroines would count as being marketed towards women. It seems kinda blatantly for guys who like girls in skimpy clothes. But maybe I'm wrong and there's a big portion in the Japanese community of women who play fighting games who love seeing Mai obviously uncomfortable in a cow-print bikini, idk.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not following what you mean with this, but if I am interested in the series story, then yes, you will have to buy the whole package with things you like and dislike. Not different from anything else.
I'm saying that the series's questionable content is such an everpresence that it's honestly testing my believe that someone who actively dislikes them would be willing to tolerate them for three games and 3 spin-offs just for the sake of the story. And even if they actually do, I don't feel that they really have much ground to be testy when they're being lumped together with the game's main demographic as if they don't have a choice.

In the end, it is what being talked about here. It's not that Senran Kagura is just an ecchi game, but it's mainly an ecchi game. I think there's not dispute about this at least, ya? It's a fanservice game first and foremost, with other things being added bonus. It tracks that it mainly targets ecchi fans.

When somebody say "its fans like it for its sexualization of minors", I feel neither "No, I simply tolerate sexualization of minors" nor "No, I also like other things besides sexualization of minors" is a good look.

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Same as always(Spoilers, obviously). A mixture of some good and terrible sets.

Never played Monster Hunter but that seems pretty good. Very few armors show a lot of skin and those that do look to be barbarian type armors, would have to see the male versions of them.

Also that gallery seems to show all the helmets with no other armor on, which could be misleading if people think those are actual armor sets.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
Canonically?

I mean, he's right. Canonically, in the lore, in the script, they're 18 years old.

But come on.

Come on.

I don't blame you for finding the word weird though, it's not something you'll come across very often unless you're discussing the lore of something. Star Wars starting up again and deleting 90% of the universe was most people's crash course into what is canon or not.
Well no that's not "canonically" that I find jarring here, it's "come the fuck on". I don't know how you think a non english speaker read this at first sight but you probably know which connotation this word has.
As said I already find the word jarring in a video game forum aimed at people over the age of 13 whatever the topic is, but even more in a topic about "why women criticise sexualised character designs".

Oct 25, 2017
Textbook slippery slope fallacy. None of those games are on the level of Criminal Girls. SK is a lot closer:

Eh, I'd put some visual novels discussed as worse than Criminal Girls.

But fair enough. I wasn't invoking slippery slope fallacy as I thought the discussion was about the existence of such content in any given work and not the prevalence of it, in which case a lot of games would be out.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Personally I just wish Heroines was still about being cute opposed to sexy.

Gal fighters was really cute.

Well no that's not "canonically" that I find jarring here, it's "come the fuck on". I don't know how you think a non english speaker read this at first sight but you probably know which connotation this word has.
As said I already find the word jarring in a video game forum aimed at people over the age of 13 whatever the topic is, but even more in a topic about "why women criticise sexualised character designs".
Aaaaaaah.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's just...good ole fashion american amplification. The nature of things is that this thread is very long and a lot of people make the same arguments a lot which commonly result in very little and it all gets somewhat frustrating, and sometimes, all you can do is roll your head back and let one fly.

I won't lie, DBfZ servers being shitty tonight is also souring my mood and maybe is making me a bit more barbed than normal.

There are a few that are definitely just chainmail bikinis, but I'm loving some of the new sets.

BGYekhe.png
YOOOOOOO!

Man, all this stuff better make it into the PC version. I worry about the extra content that seems to have hard time limits on them.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I mean I know a lot of wlw into fanservicey stuff, and that's fine, I like it sparingly myself. But I'm really not sure that SNK Heroines would count as being marketed towards women. It seems kinda blatantly for guys who like girls in skimpy clothes. But maybe I'm wrong and there's a big portion in the Japanese community of women who play fighting games who love seeing Mai obviously uncomfortable in a cow-print bikini, idk.

Oddly the Special edition contains a female shirt and cap that says ("Fatal Cutie") that seem at least at first glance to be geared towards either women or men who want to collect women's clothes.

https://store.nisamerica.com/preord...eroines-diamond-dream-edition-nintendo-switch

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
When does the fanservice nature of a fanservice title completely supercede literally everything else it has to offer? Because my argument is that that is exactly what all of the Senran Kagura games do. Sacrifice everything in the name of fanservice.

Your argument is non-existent because you're just saying how you see the games and each person will have a different stance in this.

I played Shinovi Versus and Estival Versus mostly because of gameplay and story and I did not bother to unlock all the other pervy extras the game has. Am I playing it wrong then ?

I also keep Bon Appetit installed on the Vita because it's a competent rhythm game regardless of the fan service (especially because it gets old). And I know of others who do the same since the rhythm game is very beginner friendly.

I probably would have played more of PBS if I had the time because I really liked the mechanics and the few MP matches I did were a lot of fun. I still take issue with one special mechanic in this game that is for titilation, but that small part doesn't prevent me to enjoy the game as a whole.

To you, those games are purely fan service. No issue with that. To others, there's more than just T&A.

I'm saying that the series's questionable content is such an everpresence that it's honestly testing my believe that someone who actively dislikes them would be willing to tolerate them for three games and 3 spin-offs just for the sake of that story.

Read above. Doesn't have to be solely for story. Sometimes the games are just fun.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Read above. Doesn't have to be solely for story. Sometimes the games are just fun.

So that being said...why these games over games that are dramatically superior over them?

Like, Why not splatoon over PBS? Why not Dragon Quest Builders or Hyrule Warriors over the musou titles? Why not Mother Russia Bleeds or Fight'n'Rage? If you're looking for a rhythm game, why not Project X Diva?

Like, maybe it's just because people are being laser focused on Senran Kagura, in the other thread it is the subject after all, but the common thread seems to be that people recognize that these games aren't very good, there's MUCH better out there. So why return to this series that's just...in every form except for fanservice, stagnating?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
If we ban Senran Kagura for questionable content based on age of characters or presumed age of characters regardless of how prevalent, we will similarly have to ban:

Xenoblade 2
Persona series
Tales series
Legend of Heroes series
Ys series
Atelier series
99% of what's talked about in the visual novel OT
Fire Emblem series
Etrian Odyssey series
everything by Idea Factory
Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls
Disgaea series

And probably a bunch more games that I can't think of right now.

I don't think Fire Emblem, Persona, Legend of Heroes or Xenoblade 2 (only games I've played of this list) are anywhere near as bad as what I've heard about Senran Kagura. I have my issues with them, but when it comes to talk of banning I don't think they're in the same ballpark.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
wait what, help me get up to date, did Era banned Senran Kagura??

No. And for what it's worth, even with all I've said, I don't think we should either.

But we shouldn't handwave off the fact that the main draw for the game is the sexualization and objectification of 15 year old girls.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So that being said...why these games over games that are dramatically superior over them?

Like, Why not splatoon over PBS? Why not Dragon Quest Builders or Hyrule Warriors over the musou titles? Why not Mother Russia Bleeds or Fight'n'Rage? If you're looking for a rhythm game, why not Project X Diva?

Like, maybe it's just because people are being laser focused on Senran Kagura, in the other thread it is the subject after all, but the common thread seems to be that people recognize that these games aren't very good, there's MUCH better out there. So why return to this series that's just...in every form except for fanservice, stagnating?
Why enjoy anything if someone else considers it trash, in that case? I enjoy *so much* (purely subjective) trash, and I have no reason to justify it. I just enjoy it. Nothing wrong with that.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How much of Estival would you say is just pure smut? I'd say 40%, mostly because, though there is dramatically more combat, it's most recycled and, at the end of the day, you're doing it to get the unlockables, most of which are extremely pervy items, costumes and gestures

I'm starting to think you have only played EV and judging the entire series taking the game as a base.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
If we ban Senran Kagura for questionable content based on age of characters or presumed age of characters regardless of how prevalent, we will similarly have to ban:

Xenoblade 2
Persona series
Tales series
Legend of Heroes series
Ys series
Atelier series
99% of what's talked about in the visual novel OT
Fire Emblem series
Etrian Odyssey series
everything by Idea Factory
Danganronpa Ultra Despair Girls
Disgaea series

And probably a bunch more games that I can't think of right now.
I feel like this post was meant to defend Senran Kagura, but it actually ends up pointing out The Problem with anime-styled games.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys do know the title of this thread is "Why women criticize sexualized character designs" and not "Why women think all sexualized games should be banned" right? Because the lot of you coming in here to defend you games from banning and censorship is annoying, tiring, and exhausting.

EDIT:
I feel like this post was meant to defend Senran Kagura, but it actually ends up pointing out The Problem with anime-styled games.

Shhhh, they'll not see the irony.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You guys do know the title of this thread is "Why women criticize sexualized character designs" and not "Why women think all sexualized games should be banned" right? Because the lot of you coming in here to defend you games from banning and censorship is annoying, tiring, and exhausting.

Since it's a decision that would take effect in the full forum, i think it's fair

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Since it's a decision that would take effect in the full forum, i think it's fair
aint the rules about what content (game is permissible) married to the game in question (any game) ERSB ratting??

Because...we have that much power...how exactly? Isn't there a thread about this very topic already?
well, yeah, any forum lives and dies by its users, why do you think GAF died? . if ERA were to do something that alienates its users and they leave on mass, the forum will not survive.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because...we have that much power...how exactly? Isn't there a thread about this very topic already?

You know, it's not something i'm exactly complaining about, but yes, i think the female community in era have such Power.

There's also other issues worthy of discussion, such as the predominant generalizations, but i want to find the time and words to make a thread about that, probably asking a mod for advice, since i don't want to fall in the same mistakes i did before in this thread

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Merely a question on where lines are being drawn in regards to what can be discussed.
one last comment before dropping the topic cause I think is derailing.

we have the Thread "Next Q&ERA! Submit your questions for Chucklefish (Stardew Valley, Starbound, Wargroove, Spellbound)"

I feel it would help is there were a similar but regarding moderation, and where the lines are drawn.

unless that thread already exist and im just highly stupid

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You know, it's not something i'm exactly complaining about, but yes, i think the female community in era have such Power.

There's also other issues worthy of discussion, such as the predominant generalizations, but i want to find the time and words to make a thread about that, probably asking a mod for advice, since i don't want to fall in the same mistakes i did before in this thread
Like this one? :D

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017

I mean marketed towards women writ large, marketed primarily towards them, not primarily towards men.

Also:

The biggest problem with all the SK discussion so far is that it's basically trying to shut down conversation about its problematic elements in a thread that is about criticizing the problematic elements of games that feature objectification and sexualization of female characters. Even in threads where it is not specifically "the point", people should be allowed to raise criticisms of these issues and not be shouted at and dogpiled for expressing their discontent. Problematic games are allowed to evoke any reaction or response, and as long as the discussion is civil, criticism of those problems should absolutely be allowed, and those making the criticisms respected.

So... maybe take some time to reflect on why people are making these criticisms, rather than getting angry that they don't like a game that you like.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aint the rules about what content (game is permissible) married to the game in question (any game) ERSB ratting??

well, yeah, any forum lives and dies by its users, why do you think GAF died? . if ERA were to do something that alienates its users and they leave on mass, the forum will not survive.

Again, the women of ERA have this power to ban all discussion of SK again how exactly? I didn't know people were being banned for daring to discuss it.

That's fascinating news to me. I wonder how they achieved such power over the mods...

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Never played Monster Hunter but that seems pretty good. Very few armors show a lot of skin and those that do look to be barbarian type armors, would have to see the male versions of them.

Also that gallery seems to show all the helmets with no other armor on, which could be misleading if people think those are actual armor sets.

Problem with the MH sets (for what I saw in the videos, I did a male character) it's that a lot of female sets are fully covered minus the thigh area, something that obviously the male sets doesn't. Feels so unnecesary. The starter set is an example and a lof of sets does the same mistake.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much all japanese media are influenced by anime/manga because of it's creators, and that includes games being with an japanese artstyle (what you guys call anime, even if it's not based in one) or not.

Garf02

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean marketed towards women writ large, marketed primarily towards them, not primarily towards men.

Also:

The biggest problem with all the SK discussion so far is that it's basically trying to shut down conversation about its problematic elements in a thread that is about criticizing the problematic elements of games that feature objectification and sexualization of female characters. Even in threads where it is not specifically "the point", people should be allowed to raise criticisms of these issues and not be shouted at and dogpiled for expressing their discontent. Problematic games are allowed to evoke any reaction or response, and as long as the discussion is civil, criticism of those problems should absolutely be allowed, and those making the criticisms respected.

So... maybe take some time to reflect on why people are making these criticisms, rather than getting angry that they don't like a game that you like.
what does exactly the rules say about OT?? like, should those topic being brought in a new trailer Thread or something or should a new thread being made for it???

I know that Xenoblade Thread it became such a recurrent topic (no matter what the thread were about whether gifs, blades, spoiler, gameplay) that when we got to the OT. it basically outlawed to bring out that in the thread

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
People like to demonize "anime games" here because 4chan is big on them.
Alternatively, anime games come up very often in a discussion about sexualised female character design because there are lots of examples of sexualised female character design in anime games? It's not like JRPGs etc are an uncommon discussion topic on Era, most people here criticise 'anime' games because they play at least some of them.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Alternatively, anime games come up very often in a discussion about sexualised female character design because there are lots of examples of sexualised female character design in anime games? It's not like JRPGs are an uncommon discussion topic on Era.
Those games are coming from a country that is way more sexuality liberated in their entertainment and media, yet at the same time quiet tame in their actual dealings with sex irl. So what is the actual problem? Is Western society too fucked for that type of media?

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, anime games come up very often in a discussion about sexualised female character design because there are lots of examples of sexualised female character design in anime games?

And there's always going to be, let's be honest.. at least until we're alive because these things are normalized for decades and at the same time, gravure idols are also the same, just like Idols themselves.

Such things don't get backlash in Japan or even when it gets, it rarely changes. For example, Yuragi no Yuna-san (From Shounen Jump, the biggest manga magazine from one of the biggest publishers of Japan which is Shueisha) had a color page that it was viewed by parents in Japan of something that it was too much but after the response of the editorial and lawyers, it pretty much died. Something almost similar happened in the 70s when Go Nagai had one of his first manga that created and established the romcom and ecchi but it was too more big because it was the first time in a different decade.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Those games are coming from a country that is way more sexuality liberated in their entertainment and media, yet at the same time quiet tame in their actual dealings with sex irl. So what is the actual problem? Is Western society too fucked for that type of media?

A country that's so sexually liberated that all their porn is still censored.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

you mean the same country that censor actual nudity in their games? (not talking about porn games, but regular games).

Status
Not open for further replies.