• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
What job?
I cut the hair and the skirt to make easier to look how male-looking she is.
A rule of good character design is that a character should be recognizable even nude and without hair, maybe nude and without hair she would still be recognizable, but not girl-looking.
That's called editing it my friend.

Also you sound like one of those douches that say girls with short hair look like men

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
I guess revising the facts to fit a narrative is natural when you have a name straight out of 1984!
As i said:
i cut the hair and the skirt to make easier to look how male-looking she is.
A rule of good character design is that a character should be recognizable even nude and without hair, maybe nude and without hair she would still be recognizable, but not girl-looking.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As i said:

...ok...then like every anime character would be unrecognizable with your description. What you are talking about is the silhouette. And, like...

she-ra-art-1122960.jpeg

No, she definitely looks like a girl...

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the design weren't traditionally feminine, who am I to question her gender? We need to get away from the mindset that if a person does not look a certain way, he or she is unfit to be part of one sex.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
As i said:
also ITT a random dude explains design to me when i majored in illustration and design. How many anime characters would be recognizable without their hair? So many sexy anime girl type artists have tons of same face syndrome

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I think I've found the holy grail of RPGs with horrible designs for its women. I mean what the fuck is this shit!?
ps2_magna_carta_tears_of_blood_p_ytqyak.jpg

magna-carta-hd-wallpapers-33331-9100209.jpg

Magna+Carta+2.jpg

These games flew under my radar completely, Im guessing they bombed but what the fuck is even going on here!? Human bodies are not supposed to bend like that and also in that first pic Im pretty sure thats not how clothes work! Did that game on PS2 really launch with that box art? Thats gotta be the most defined set of nipples I have ever seen in any videogame box art released in the west if true.

Once again, my spine hurts looking at the picture.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
As i said:

No offense, but that's some dumb "gender is paramount above all else when it comes to design" shit. The same people who say that are the same ones that say all women need to be drawn like pinups because otherwise it confuses the viewer. It's why 90's animation was dominated by the same body type for every show regardless of demographic. Like, I like Bruce Timm a lot, his "every girl is a super model, every boy is a bodybuilder" style was everything and everywhere.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
As much as I hate Shining Resonance in general I can say that, in a vacuum, I actually do enjoy Tony Taka's designs if what youre looking for is sexy anime girls. BUT he definitely suffers from same face syndrome for sure. Clear example.

I mean sure. I like KHT's designs (they're neat and sexy0, but he fact that he draws everything as if they were suspended in jello is silly and celebrating someone's fashion designs as the crux for an entire TRILOGY...is stupid. There's a reason why those games were forgotten.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
As much as I hate Shining Resonance in general I can say that, in a vacuum, I actually do enjoy Tony Taka's designs if what youre looking for is sexy anime girls. BUT he definitely suffers from same face syndrome for sure. Clear example.
But his is good design because they have big boobies and impossible measurements so we know they're women and men can jerk off to them without fear of being gay. *eyeroll*

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think she looks masculine, but even if she did, that'd be absolutely fine. I think there's merit in role models for young girls that happen to not conform to beauty standards.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure. I like KHT's designs (they're neat and sexy0, but he fact that he draws everything as if they were suspended in jello is silly and celebrating someone's fashion designs as the crux for an entire TRILOGY...is stupid. There's a reason why those games were forgotten.
I actually dont enjoy KHT's designs at all. They hurt my muscles form seeing them.

But what trilogy you speak of? Didnt the Magna Carta games stopped at number 2 on the X360?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I actually dont enjoy KHT's designs at all. They hurt my muscles form seeing them.

But what trilogy you speak of? Didnt the Magna Carta games stopped at number 2 on the X360?

It actually is two games. War of Genesis was cancelled and I forgot that the first two of them are actually just ports of each other with story elements changed.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Camelot is a different company than Monolith which always had this kind of thing in Xenogears,

Um, what? Xenogears doesn't have rampant sexualization that I can remember.

What job?

What the fuck, man. Come on.

I was reading an Octopath Traveller thread on Reddit, and, while it's a bit off-topic here, seeing as there's plenty of RPG character chat this is the kind of thing I really like to find when digging into a game world. Better a hundred npcs with hidden yet characterful (and occasionally very silly) backgrounds rather than a hundred scantily-clad titninjas.

YpNJLs.jpeg

No I don't just have a fetish for poo-flinging peasants, you know what I mean! :D

I don't know, to me it seems kind of shi-*gets hit by brick*

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But his is good design because they have big boobies and impossible measurements so we know they're women and men can jerk off to them without fear of being gay. *eyeroll*
Guilty as charged. I never said his designs belong in a museum. Just that they are aestheticlaly pleasing to the eye for sure but they all do look alike with exception of hair and boob sizes. And his Shining characters are as sugary, predictable, empty, stereotypical, and shallow on the inside as they're on the outside. Lowest Common Denominator fast food entertainment that pleases many and displeases just as many.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Guilty as charged. I never said his designs belong in a museum. Just that they are aestheticlaly pleasing to the eye for sure but they all do look alike with exception of hair and boob sizes. And his Shining characters are as sugary, predictable, empty, stereotypical, and shallow on the inside as they're on the outside. Lowest Common Denominator fast food entertainment that pleases many and displeases just as many.
Oh I'm making fun of the other poster 2+2 don't worry lol. I think Takas art is good as far as anime art goes, better than KHT by far and I like the color balances in his works, they're vibrant and charming. If what you want is sexy anime girls he's probably one of the best on that purely technical level i suppose

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm making fun of the other poster 2+2 don't worry lol. I think Takas art is good as far as anime art goes, better than KHT by far and I like the color balances in his works, they're vibrant and charming. If what you want is sexy anime girls he's probably one of the best on that purely technical level i suppose
FWIW I'd be totally behind the idea of Making the Shining series Great Again by taking them back to the designs and mechanics of the originals from Camelot. I can see how a Saturn or Genesis fan would be displeased at the current direction of this series which are unrecognizable.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
Let's see if i can make you understand what i mean, this is the old version
she-ra-feature-thumb-700xauto-199360.jpg

in this she has no long hair, no boobs, no lopstick... and she still looks like a woman.
image.png

having big boobs or looking like a model has nothing to do with this, you can try with every good design.

Remove everything from Zarya

image.png

and she still looks like a girl.

You can try youself.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What job?
Bear in mind that one still doesn't always tell the whole story with animation. Here's another piece of promo art. Do you still think she doesn't look like a young woman?

I think it's good that she isn't a typical supermodel build, why would you do that as a role model for preteen girls? She has a more athletic, less exaggerated look and seems like she can do some damage with that sword.

She looks like she's designed as an adventurous sword-swinging heroine for very young girls first, that's cool.

71B991.jpeg

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even if we're going with the narrative that the new She-Ra is androgynous looking, there are women who look like that.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Xenogeara didn't have sexual female designs, iirc. Being like 14 when I played it I can tell you there was a lot of yaoi because most the cast were pretty boys. There was a lot of artistic nudity but it wasn't sexual, just playing on the biblical themes; ya know adam and eve stuff

FWIW I'd be totally behind the idea of Making the Shining series Great Again by taking them back to the designs and mechanics of the originals from Camelot. I can see how a Saturn or Genesis fan would be displeased at the current direction of this series which are unrecognizable.
I mean I'd be down with Takas art if they just made a cool game with no dating sim stuff and less overtly sexualized.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see if i can make you understand what i mean, this is the old version
she-ra-feature-thumb-700xauto-199360.jpg

in this she has no long hair, no boobs, no lopstick... and she still looks like a woman.
image.png

having big boobs or looking like a model has nothing to do with this, you can try with every good design.

Remove everything from Zarya

image.png

and she still looks like a girl.

You can try youself.
she-ra-art-1122960.jpeg

Girl on the right. That's the same girl. She clearly has the "feminine body shape" you want. As for the picture of She-Ra? Maybe because is fighting you DON'T wear form fitting attire that clings to your skin.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
As i said:
At most you can say she looks androgynous, which is perfectly fine, because, guess what, kids look 100% androgynous before secondary sexual features develop! And even then, you cut off her hips which clearly match or approach the width of her shoulders, which is not something you'll see with masculine forms (especially not animated masculine forms).

Either way, your constant assertions are actually offensive to me and I must request you cool it with this essentialist bullshit.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Lol "hey guys look at this old pic i removed her lipstick and boobs and hair but i didn't remove her tons of eye makeup or fuck with her clearly heavily plucked eyebrows."

Also so what if she's more androgynous? Why does she have to be some sexy femme fatale it's a show for little girls for fucks sake

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean she looks like a little kid in this version. She doesn't need cleavage and a breastplate.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I think the reveal pic was a bit goofy, but she looks good in the other stuff. The pictures where she's in more civilian clothing look fine, this looks cool.

Not that my opinion is relevant anyway, I'm not exactly the demographic

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say though, as someone who really enjoyed Xenoblade 2, even for all it's problems with a large portion of it's female characters, and having never played Xenoblade 1 before (nearly finished it) some of the armor options for the female cast is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing. Like, ho-ly shit. It's honestly worse than Xenoblade 2 (imo) in that regard. Both games have great female characters, that are just heavily conflicted by their designs.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
It looks like she's wearing armor over her torso (?) so that's why these idiots are getting upset over a non-sexualied teenager.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually this seems like a good time to ask, what is the difference between, say, He-Man and Barbie? Like that one pic on imgur that gets used to go "checkmate feminists" whenever the topic is brought up, where He-Man is depicted as exactly equivalent to sexualized depictions of women in media.

From what I understand with He-Man the idea is that I want to be him, built like a tank, handsome, and powerful, and the complaints when it comes to women is an issue of sexualization, that they're depicted as a man's ideal woman rather than for a female audience. Do I have that right?

Basically I understand that it's a false equivalence, but I lack the understanding why to argue against it, since on the surface they seem similar.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Je5s2hr.jpg

hmm yeah... not my favourite outfit (mostly the shoulders pads and dorky new crown), but she looks a lot more fun than the barbie doll version of the 80s. Def better in most other aspects.

Hopefully the more simple design means she animates well.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It looks like she's wearing armor over her torso (?) so that's why these idiots are getting upset over a non-sexualied teenager.
Probably because that armour is a normal breastplate that a young princess with a liking for melee combat might wear and not bloody metal boobcups to show off the cleavage.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, what? Xenogears doesn't have rampant sexualization that I can remember.

What the fuck, man. Come on.

I don't know, to me it seems kind of shi-*gets hit by brick*

Maybe it was Xenosaga? I only know those two franchises by video and images since I never played them. The one that I was talking about had Kosmos on it so it's probably Xenosaga.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogeara didn't have sexual female designs, iirc. Being like 14 when I played it I can tell you there was a lot of yaoi because most the cast were pretty boys. There was a lot of artistic nudity but it wasn't sexual, just playing on the biblical themes; ya know adam and eve stuff
7z8ytVX.png

I mean, this is the Official Uniform of a High Ranking Special Forces Military Commander.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Actually this seems like a good time to ask, what is the difference between, say, He-Man and Barbie? Like that one pic on imgur that gets used to go "checkmate feminists" whenever the topic is brought up, where He-Man is depicted as exactly equivalent to sexualized depictions of women in media.

From what I understand with He-Man the idea is that I want to be him, built like a tank, handsome, and powerful, and the complaints when it comes to women is an issue of sexualization, that they're depicted as a man's ideal woman rather than for a female audience. Do I have that right?

Basically I understand that it's a false equivalence, but I lack the understanding why to argue against it, since on the surface they seem similar.
You're on the right track.

Plus I'm no expert but I don't think many women find magic furry sweaty underwear that probably hasn't seen Castle Grayskull's laundry room in several years that appealing :D

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space

You've got that exactly right. Very few women are flicking the bean thinking about He Man. That's coming from the perspective of a man and He-Man is a power fantasy for men. Also what even gay men are attracted to is somewhat different from straight/bi women most the time. He-Man might be a thing for gay men, but not straight women. Women aren't as obsessed with guys having huge muscles.

It comes up in these type of threads often on the old site or here. Men will trot out Kratos as an example of something designed to titilate a female viewer. No girl thinks Kratos is hot.

If you want to see male characters specifically designed to titliate women, the clearest example I can think of is Free! the anime about a boys swimming club.

mtpbkfx72kloauultivyac3efhjebso5_hq.jpg
\

Notice how they're not body builders? also they're not literally dressed like that all the time.

344352c3ce9c57d8fb06404a3e377562--free-eternal-summer-school-uniform.jpg

They're more often dressed like that in their uniforms.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
7z8ytVX.png

I mean, this is the Official Uniform of a High Ranking Special Forces Military Commander.
This reminds me of a lot of female officers/fighter pilots from sci-fi programmes I watched as a kid like Buck Rogers, UFO or Space 1999, where it's often very pretty young women in very flattering outfits looking like they are about ten minutes away from heading out to the dancefloor. Eye-candy, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.