• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
it is almost copy-paste from Final Fantasy XII's Gambit system, though not as good as FFXII. it remains my favorite system to control/command AI.

cRPGs had Party Programming years before XII had even started development.

XII's entire battle system is basically a shot-for-shot copy of how every western Isometric RTwP cRPG played.

0_0 MFW FF12 is more westernized than 13.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
Brilliant game, bought on PS2 and PS4 and will gladly triple dip on Switch.

One nitpick - I really wish you had a Bangaa in the party as a playable character. I was always disappointed that Fran is the only non Hume party member in a world teeming with such awesome varied races and designs.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant game, bought on PS2 and PS4 and will gladly triple dip on Switch.

One nitpick - I really wish you had a Bangaa in the party as a playable character. I was always disappointed that Fran is the only non Hume party member in a world teeming with such awesome varied races and designs.

Penelo really should have been a Moogle.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Is the story any good?
I only played an hour or so, and dropped it more than a decade ago.

No. I would say the story is bad, although I think it's more the case that it's boring, since I can't think of any scenes that are especially bad or annoying (in contrast to the trainwreck that is Final Fantasy XIII, which has many such bad scenes). Most of the non-Balthier cast members are surprisingly dull and lack strong arcs. The game is more plot-centric, yet its main plot isn't especially intriguing as far as political drama goes, which is a shame since the setting of Ivalice has a lot of potential. Final Fantasy XII is one of the few mainline games in the series where I lost interest for extended amounts of time; it took me around two years to finish the original version of the game; some of my lost interest was due to getting tired of fighting (the only major mini game or side quests in the game involve hunting monsters, so the player can take a break from the constant fighting by doing more fighting), and the Zodiac Age version should be better in this regard, yet the main reason why I personally kept losing interest in the original FFXII is its bland story, and I don't believe the remake changes its story in any significant way (if at all). FFXII's story is nowhere near as good as those in Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story; the political intrigue in FFT is far superior, and the character development in Vagrant Story blows FFXII's out of the water. If FFXII's gameplay doesn't hook you, I don't think the story is good enough to maintain your interest.

OK I have this on my wishlist and will get around to it soon, but in the meantime I'm about to complete Dragon Quest XI. IN YOUR HONEST OPINION.....which is the better game between these two?

Dragon Quest XI, easily. Mind you, I haven't played the Zodiac Age remaster of Final Fantasy XII, but I doubt its enhancements could put FFXII ahead of DQXI in my esteem. However, FFXII definitely has a better soundtrack, at least.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It took me many years since release to fully appreciate XII.

It kills me every time going into
Pharos
because the game just ends too quickly.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Is the story any good?
I only played an hour or so, and dropped it more than a decade ago.

It's a great story. It doesn't have romance and hardly linger in melodrama and that's what makes it strong. It's a very human and touching story about a bunch of people who all lost things during the war and has to rebuild themselves with new family ties that runs stronger than blood. They understand each other and grows to understand that they need to think of the greater good rather than their personal plight, but they can use their own experiences to shape themselves and the people around them to treat and respect people. There is a lot of subtlety going around and I'd say some of the strongest characters in the whole franchise can be found in this game.

Not to mention all of it is beautifully executed. You will rarely see games that are filmed as beautifully as this one, and it plays a large part in conveying themes and emotions in a way that is expertly crafted rather than lousy. Everything comes together to offer a strong experience, but if you expect the same JRPG tropes you will not find them in this game. You need to go into it with an open mind.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the responses.
Definitely not for me, this one.

I wasn't a fan when i first played it, and that happened with every FF after this one.
I tried to revisit XIII and XV only to be bored again. I can play 6,7,8,9,10 all day.
Something about these i don't click with.

Too bad tough, the remaster is cheap and looks great.

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the responses.
Definitely not for me, this one.

I wasn't a fan when i first played it, and that happened with every FF after this one.
I tried to revisit XIII and XV only to be bored again. I can play 6,7,8,9,10 all day.
Something about these i don't click with.

Too bad tough, the remaster is cheap and looks great.

To throw out one last controversial opinion, I would say I have been bored by VIII and IX, while the XIII trilogy (especially the phenomenal XIII-2), XIV, XV have all hooked me. I have two platinums from that group and even am interested in getting one in XIII.

Guess I just feel the need to say that since so much of this thread (not you by the way) acts like it is universally known that after XII the series died.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
CM8CHs4.jpg

It was sitting on the shelf, for 13 bucks, I had to.
Let's see what's up with this wack rap con carne.