• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Sword Doggo poorly designed?

• It's such a cool Legendary, you're just hating.

Votes: 777 53.7%
  • Agree, it's a terrible design. Just a dog with a sword.

Votes: 289 20.0%
  • Not good, not bad - just meh.

Votes: 381 26.3%

• Total voters

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marowak doesn't lose its identity without the bone.

It absolutely does.

To reiterate what I've said, Pokemon using objects as weapons is not the same as using literal weapons. A bone is not the same as a sword or gun. Not to mention they're there to enhance the design of the Pokemon, and the Pokemon doesn't actually require them to fight.

You're making a lot of weird assumptions. Who said Zacian is incapable of fighting without his sword?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
great_grey_wolf_sif_combat_ready.jpg

Best inspiration, best legendary.

Tbh, I find it meh. Nothing too bad, not too exciting either.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think Zacian looks terrible, but for a different reason: It's a horribly overdesigned and garish mess of a dog with all these different design elements that take attention away from what should be the primary focus (the sword).

That's also why Sif looks so much cooler.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Zamazenta haters need to get their eyes checked. Bet they think vanilluxe is a bad design too

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The main thing that bothers me is where it got the Sword from. It's not a naturally occurring object like a bone or a leek, maybe its lore will explain it a bit

Also obviously the 2 of them are going to be able to fuse into a knight pokemon to take on the 3rd legendary

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Zacian looks terrible, but for a different reason: It's a horribly overdesigned and garish mess of a dog with all these different design elements that take attention away from what should be the primary focus (the sword).

That's also why Sif looks so much cooler.

Agreed. Really not feeling the tricolor super sentai dog with shoulder fins.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I get the whole personally not liking the legendaries, but calling them poorly designed makes it sound like you have expertise in the field.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The main thing that bothers me is where it got the Sword from. It's not a naturally occurring object like a bone or a leek, maybe its lore will explain it a bit

The lore will definitely explain it. Also it's not really an issue so long as Zacian ends up being one of a kind.

OP
OP

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
It absolutely does.

You're making a lot of weird assumptions. Who said Zacian is incapable of fighting without his sword?

It doesn't. Again, I'm talking about the DESIGN of the Pokemon, and how these objects fit into their designs. Marowak and Cubone are lonely Pokemon that longs for their dead mother. Their head skull is literally main motif -- not the bone they use as a weapon. Losing the bone doesn't kill their design. You guys are saying that the objects are integral to their designs, and I'm disagreeing with that.

I'm not even saying Zacian can't fight without the sword. Saying that the other Pokemon don't need their "weapons" to fight is not the same as saying that Zacian can't fight without a weapon. Like I said, Zacian is the opposite case. Its main motif is the sword itself because that's what it's designed around. Without the sword, it's nothing. It can surely still fight without the sword, but the design itself puts emphasis on the sword more than the Pokemon itself.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're both sad. Either or wouldn't be so bad if they removed elements but its just too much. I was hoping it would be a return to "legendary" legendaries like gen 5 and before but this aint it

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
It looks fine to me. The shield wolf looks dumb as fuck though. Arguably worse than that Yvettal which is literally just a flying Y.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Its going to be just like so many Pokemon with "bad designs" where people start loving them when they see them in motion.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think they both look dumb.

At least shield boi gets to be an absolute unit.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Both are not great but at least one's look is seemingly a natural part of it. The dog holding a sword thing is getting too much these days. The sword theme needed to be integrated into it, but seems like its just something it grabbed.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I think Zacian is way cooler than Zamazenta because the shield part of Zamazenta is literally his face and the thought of him just blocking flamethrowers, thunderbolts or things like Machamp's punches with his face is ridiculously stupid. Also funny, but way more stupid.
Funny and stupid, sure, but also badass.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost like the dude pulled the sword out of a rock making him the stuff of legends.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
How is it gonna talk in the anime/movies ? Telepathy ?

As far as I know legendaries usually talk,right?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What also bothers me is that Zacian and Zamazenta are both wolves with similar color schemes and design motifs.

Like, did we really need both cover legendaries to be so samey?

OP
OP

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I get the whole personally not liking the legendaries, but calling them poorly designed makes it sound like you have expertise in the field.

That's basically another way of saying the "you're not an expert so you can't criticize it" argument. Art is subjective, that much is true. I'm simply laying out why I think it's poorly designed within the world of the Pokemon. You're using the appeal to authority argument.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It doesn't. Again, I'm talking about the DESIGN of the Pokemon, and how these objects fit into their designs. Marowak and Cubone are lonely Pokemon that longs for their dead mother. Their head skull is literally main motif -- not the bone they use as a weapon. Losing the bone doesn't kill their design. You guys are saying that the objects are integral to their designs, and I'm disagreeing with that.
Then can you explain the fact cubone's and marowak's signature moves involve attacking with the bone club? What about the regional variant of Marowak with the flames on the bone?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yeah Zamazenta is so much better (i like his Gundam-like name, and even Shield boxart is nicer), but i need to know the exclusive pokémon for each version.

Anyway it's clear that video hinted at a third legendary so hopefully that is the cool one.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
All Pokemon designs after Ruby and Sapphire just doesn't feel like a Pokemon anymore. The designs are too complex now; I miss the simple designs.

I think the new legendary pokemons are decent but I really dislike the color choices. It looks like I'm looking at an American flag.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Most pokemons after the 3rd gen look awful.

All Pokemon designs after Ruby and Sapphire just doesn't feel like a Pokemon anymore. The designs are too complex now; I miss the simple designs.

I think the new legendary pokemons are decent but I really dislike the color choices. It looks like I'm looking at an American flag.
Agreed.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
How is it gonna talk in the anime/movies ? Telepathy ?

As far as I know legendaries usually talk,right?

Sun and Moon only had one that did afaik (naganadel) of its many legendary/mythical

That's basically another way of saying the "you're not an expert so you can't criticize it" argument. Art is subjective, that much is true. I'm simply laying out why I think it's poorly designed within the world of the Pokemon. You're using the appeal to authority argument.

not saying you cant have an opinion, just that the phrasing is shit.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we at the "overcomplex" generalizations again when there's a new Pokémon that is basically just a black raven with a helmet

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What also bothers me is that Zacian and Zamazenta are both wolves with similar color schemes and design motifs.

Like, did we really need both cover legendaries to be so samey?

I don't know why people are surprised, was pretty obvious going off of the logos

I find it interesting that they're doing something different with the duo legendaries this time around.

OP
OP

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Then can you explain the fact cubone's and marowak's signature moves involve attacking with the bone club? What about the regional variant of Marowak with the flames on the bone?

You know what, I'll actually admit I'm wrong on this one. It does seem like Cubone needs it to survive. While the Pokedex entry focuses solely on the head skull (and the clattering sound it makes which explains Cubone and Marowak's Japanese names - the English names focus solely on the bone), the bone is important to it. But it's still not as jarring as a dog holding a man-made weapon in its mouth.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The shield dog looks way stupider. Like they had a difficult time figuring out how to implement a shield into his design and that's the best they could come up with

Zacian looks dope and if I gave my Pokémon nicknames I'd be one of the thousands that name them Sif.