• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Sword Doggo poorly designed?

• It's such a cool Legendary, you're just hating.

Votes: 777 53.7%
  • Agree, it's a terrible design. Just a dog with a sword.

Votes: 289 20.0%
  • Not good, not bad - just meh.

Votes: 381 26.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Never have I hated a Pokemon design more than Zacian. Pokemon using or wearing objects isn't a new thing. So why am I singling out this poor doggo for holding a sword in its mouth? If that's considered bad design, then what about Machamp (belt), Farfetch'd (leek), Klefki (keys), Timburr line (wood and steel beams), Honedge line (literal sword), and etc? Well, that's what I'm about to explain. The thing is that those Pokemon ARE the WEAPONS.

Can a steel beam be used as a weapon? Yes, but that's not its primary usage. It's mainly used for construction, and it's used to emphasize the Timburr's line strength. Take that away, and Timburr plus its evos still have their strength. For Machamp and Klefki, they are just accessories. The same goes for Farfetch'd. None of these Pokemon NEED those objects. As for the the Honedge line, it's not a problem because the Pokemon themselves ARE the weapons.

That's why I find Zacian's design to be jarring and inconsistent with the rest of the Pokemon world. We're using Pokemon to fight. They are literally bio-weapons. Zacian, however, is just a dog with a weapon in its mouth. Unlike the others, Zacian isn't the weapon, its sword is. You might as well take its sword and fight the Pokemon yourself. Not to mention that its motif is the sword itself and not the dog. Take the sword away, and it's just a dog. It will have lost its distinctive feature and won't be a counterpart to Zamazenta anymore.

Each of the aforementioned Pokemon have their own motifs. The objects are there to emphasize them -- not to be the spotlight. Zacian's design has it as the opposite. To say that they're the same is absurd. That's like saying Machamp using guns is the same as it wearing a belt simply because they're both "objects". How they're used in the design matters. To put it simply: context matters. If Zacian is nothing without the sword, then it shouldn't have it in the first place. I hate this doggo. Glavenus did the whole sword thing better. God, can you imagine Glavenus just holding a sword in its mouth and charging at you?

1200px-Zacian.png

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I like Zacian more because, while Zamazenta "fits the theme better", Zamazenta has all the subtlety of a brick to the face, even when compared to its opposite which is literally just holding the object it's representing

Both kinda blow, TBH, I thought X and Y was unsubtle with its legendaries, jesus

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I'm not into Pokémon at all but when i saw the covers of the games with those designs i thought they looked really bad. Specially this one's with the sword where the sword is even only partially visible in the cover. I really don't get it.

Feb 15, 2019
I think Zacian is way cooler than Zamazenta because the shield part of Zamazenta is literally his face and the thought of him just blocking flamethrowers, thunderbolts or things like Machamp's punches with his face is ridiculously stupid. Also funny, but way more stupid.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Not at all the reason I thought you'd be complaining about it. For the last time: IT'S. HIS. TONGUE.

Honestly, if you remove the useless wings, it would be perfect.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong. Not only are these the best designed legendaries since the Johto dogs (both are striking in color, regality, the line work, the pleasant shapes), the rest of the Pokemon in this region are all triumphs in design.

This Art Director would be the best thing Game Freak has chosen in leadership thus far if it wasn't for the fact that his character designs are not as consistent in quality (Milo is a mess of an outfit with a thick bow tie on a micromodal jersey??! Leon's beard doesn't match his hair and the robe clashes with his jersey as well)

Also your motif argument is ludicrous because it's based on nothing we know thus far. We have no idea what magic elemental or physical powers this Pokemon has with or without his sword, we just know he prefers to carry his sword in his mouth. Your rules for what is or isn't consistent in Pokemon (while conveniently excusing Pokemon who use steel bars or are swords themselves) are just hilarious.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
My issue with these legendaries is that one has a sword, the other one "looks" like a shield. If you give a sword to one, then give a shield to the other.

...or make it somehow look like a sword instead of giving it one.

It's a cool design, but giving it a literal sword bothers me.

Nov 18, 2017
The designs of these are both wonderful, and I especially like the Shield legendary, so I'm going for that version.

But Zacian is cool too.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to like shield more than sword

the fact that sword dog looks 10 times cooler makes that hard.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not into Pokémon at all but when i saw the covers of the games with those designs i thought they looked really bad. Specially this one's with the sword where the sword is even only partially visible in the cover. I really don't get it.

The covers are really bad, I agree. However they both looks great in the game. I am getting the game digitally because of the hideous covers tbh.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It won't be useless without the sword. I'm sure it's going to have a bunch of moves in its move set that have nothing do with a sword. Crunch, some sort of beam attack, stomp, body slam, etc. It's not that different from Cubone and Marowak holding a bone and using that for some special attacks but not others. I do think it's a bit over designed but I don't think the reason you listed for not liking it makes much sense.

doublejon

Jan 10, 2018
I think Zacian is a better looking dog than Zamazenta, but I agree that the sword in mouth just feels off to me?

OP
OP

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Thats a really weird and specific reason to dislike him.
Pokemon use objects as weapons all the time.

To reiterate what I've said, Pokemon using objects as weapons is not the same as using literal weapons. A bone is not the same as a sword or gun. Not to mention they're there to enhance the design of the Pokemon, and the Pokemon doesn't actually require them to fight. Zacian is a unique case because it's designed to be represent a sword, but that all goes down the drain if it loses it. Marowak doesn't lose its identity without the bone. Now, if you take away its head skull, that would actually harm its design.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Zacian can at least presumably swing the sword
What the fuck does Zamazenta's shield face do, it's honestly better not flipped open since it would protect more of its torso
You can still just hit that dog in the face
Am I supposed to take cover behind it's flipped open shield like this is Rainbow Six and shoot with a gun Pokemon?

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Both of the new cover Pokemon look terrible, The shield dog is the worst of the two though.

You'd think for a game set in made up England they'd create ledgendaries that take from English mythology.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
the sword looks blunt in that art.
I do feel like Aegislash looks like a better legendary than these two.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
ngl, for a second during that trailer I thought they were bringing back the legendary beasts