• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wich streaming service has now the best UI/UX?

• Netflix

Votes: 323 68.0%
  • Disney +

Votes: 59 12.4%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • Apple TV +

Votes: 33 6.9%
  • Hulu

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was always Netflix. But Disney + has taken over for me. It looks great. Love the sections for Star Wars, etc. Good info on the series/movies. Its fast also.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Close between Disney+ and HBO Max. Both have easily clickable sections for their big properties. Might give it to HBO Max though, as it's easier to get rid of "watch next" tiles.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix for me.

How anybody voted for Hulu is beyond me. That shit will still randomly place me at the end of an episode when I'm marathoning a show I've already watched. Literally why. At what point during development did somebody think that any user would want the "autoplay next episode" feature to do anything but start at the beginning of the next episode?

Hulu also just straight up stopped working on my LG CX, and is largely why I ended up having to get an Apple TV (which was absolutely worth it).

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how Amazon has more money than god and their UI still feels like a shovelware CD you found at Walmart in the 90s.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom how anyone can say anything other than Netflix. They're light years ahead of the rest.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Apple TV + best, Hulu worse

Disney + kills me I'm not being able to get back to the episode list for when the episode is running.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix is still the best. All the other service have these annoying tab layouts that are not well suited for controlling with my remote.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
like, when im super tired and just wanna put something on and chill, i dont even bother with anything else than Netflix lol its just so much easier to use

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
apple sucks because when you click on an episode it takes you to a episode specific page with a button your have to scroll down to in order to play the damn episode

disney sucks because there's no way that i can tell to go from playing an episode to going back to the episode menu

paramount plus sucks because it never seems to save the timestamps of episodes i've watched

amazon doesn't have any of those problems but it's just a clusterfuck in regards to other things

i hate them all equally to be honest

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm always baffled when streaming services don't have basic things that are on Netflix, every one has at least one thing lacking

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon Prime is bad but I absolutely love the IMDB X-ray feature they have where actors in the scene pop up if you want to check who they are. Immensely helpful when you recognize someone but not from where. I wish Netflix was able to copy that.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix and it isn't even close.

I watched Reacher the last few days on prime and it showed a FUCKING AD FOR ANOTHER SHOW before every episode. Didn't auto skip the "previously on Reacher" bits as I jumped from episode to episode.

Just really basic ass shit everyone else still fucks up. Fast forward is a nightmare on most of them, barely functioning. HBO Max is terrible in that when you finish an episode it doesn't auto advance to the next one, so the next time you jump in you are left watching the credits for the episode you finished.

I'd honestly pay extra money if I could watch everyone shit just under the netflix app

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Anyone selecting Disney+ should be permabanned honestly.

The sheer gall to not add a episode selector (edit: mid episode) and yet also constantly default to the wrong episode is aggressively poor design.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to say that the AppleTV+ interface is strangely bad, especially considering it's from, you know, Apple. Who's usually amazing with intuitive interfaces.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Netflix is still the best of those I've used, but they're all lacking in pretty significant different ways.

John Siracusa (a tech podcaster) had a blog post recently about how none of them meet some basic expectations:

Jul 18, 2018
I watched Reacher the last few days on prime and it showed a FUCKING AD FOR ANOTHER SHOW before every episode. Didn't auto skip the "previously on Reacher" bits as I jumped from episode to episode.
Hulu sucks so much in this regard. Sometimes even if you exit app and come back, it will either go back to last episode or start at beginning of next episode with ads. If you saw Power on Hulu, the recap part has an ad before and after it, the only way to bypass without the ad playing is when you click the episode, to fast forward past it and you get one ad. So annoying.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Netflix, HBO Max, Disney + are the only competent UI's in the business.

My only real issue with Netflix is discoverability of content is weirdly bad. Like, it pushes brand new shit, random shit but mostly shit I've already seen.

Prime is a fucking shitshow. Hulu is a fucking shitshow. Apple+ is fine if you want to watch whatever they are pushing RIGHT NOW but hard to find old stuff.

Peacock is somehow worse than those.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to say that the AppleTV+ interface is strangely bad, especially considering it's from, you know, Apple. Who's usually amazing with intuitive interfaces.
That shit randomly doesn't acknowledge that I'm even subscribed to their service. Literally have to log out of it and back in and restart the app several times.

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix is great

Amazon layout is trash but has cool features, though the entire app also runs slow on older boxes / tv's where Netflix feels pretty good on everything. I kind of can't believe it still looks so bad, it feels like navigating a web page with a remote.

Disney + better layout than Amazon but lacking features

Canada specific: Crave's layout is fine but is soooooo slow and clunky.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Amazon X-ray if it's used properly.

It's nice to find other things an actor has been in.

But I guess that's more of a feature.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
hbo max and hulu are garbage imo, hbo max makes me have to solve arcane riddles to get to the show page from an episode in order to pick a different episode

opus

Oct 25, 2017
I was on the UX product team for HBO Max so I'm biased, but I think they're heading in a good direction. I also worked on the Prime Video product, and without giving away too much, so much Amazon internal shit gets in the way of that product being truly exceptional, and it's really a shame.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I suppose Netflix, but I still hate that it's inconsistent with showing you what you were last or previously watching.

Amazon Prime is bewildering. Like, is there no one at this trillion dollar company who specializes in UX design? No one at all?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix for me.

How anybody voted for Hulu is beyond me. That shit will still randomly place me at the end of an episode when I'm marathoning a show I've already watched. Literally why. At what point during development did somebody think that any user would want the "autoplay next episode" feature to do anything but start at the beginning of the next episode?

Hulu also just straight up stopped working on my LG CX, and is largely why I ended up having to get an Apple TV (which was absolutely worth it).
I stopped halfway through an episode of Venture Bros about three years ago and now every single time I finish the latest episode of a show on Hulu (so I'm all caught up) it kicks me back into "that show you were watching" via auto-play at the end. I have watched a two second clip of Baron Ünderbheit maybe a dozen times at this point

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
The algorithm that Netflix can still be problematic for finding new/relevant content but the UI itself is still king. Easy to navigate, easily manageable watchlist, easy to fast forward/rewind, etc. No issues with picking up where I left off on a show/movie.

Disney+ and HBO Max are tied for second. They both do well with having the hub feature for their major properties. However, there are various glitches I've experienced over their first few years that drag down the experience. Issues with "continue watching", episodes being out of order or with weird descriptions (mainly Disney+), and others. Not necessarily a huge fan of the massive banners/one-sheets that HBO uses in some of their sections. I do like Disney marquee at the top that highlights new or relevant/topical content.

Hulu, AppleTV+, and Amazon are all varying degrees of bad with Amazon probably being the worst offender here since they obviously have the resources to properly revamp their UI and they just refuse to.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Probably still Netflix for me? Disney+ and HBO Max are also pretty good. Hulu is still bad, and Amazon is so far beyond shit that I don't even know how to describe it.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
It's Netflix, but it is hamstrung for AppleTV users for not integrating into the AppleTV app like EVERY OTHER STREAMING SERVICE AT THIS POINT.

Oct 27, 2017
I was on the UX product team for HBO Max so I'm biased, but I think they're heading in a good direction. I also worked on the Prime Video product, and without giving away too much, so much Amazon internal shit gets in the way of that product being truly exceptional, and it's really a shame.
Sounds like Amazon lol

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't understand how Amazon has more money than god and their UI still feels like a shovelware CD you found at Walmart in the 90s.

Because there's an edict from on-high that everything on Amazon has to fit into the existing site infrastructure on the back end, and Amazon's site infrastructure was built for selling physical books as disparate SKUs and not for running a video service.

See how the recent attempt to move Comixology to that infrastructure has also been a disaster. It's trying to use a hammer to saw a piece of wood in half.

As for the current best, I'd say Netflix has the best experience for actual playback, and Disney have the best UI for finding stuff to watch.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped halfway through an episode of Venture Bros about three years ago and now every single time I finish the latest episode of a show on Hulu (so I'm all caught up) it kicks me back into "that show you were watching" via auto-play at the end. I have watched a two second clip of Baron Ünderbheit maybe a dozen times at this point
lmfao

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Still think Netflix is the best, but HBO Max is also pretty good, just needs to stop freezing and such, though it has gotten better.

Hulu isnt too bad, but sometimes difficult to find stuff without just searching. Peavock also isnt too bad, but has isseues with responsiveness for me.

Prime is horrible. I dont understand how they have kept it lookjng so bad for so long. It almost seems like they are just trolling with how bad it is, mixing Paid content with included content, how every season be its own thing for a series, still having garbage user created content show up with decent programming, and it has always looked dated, like it has been stuck in perpetual beta.