• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

Not available

kotaku.com

Apex Legends Hackers Exposed For Plotting Wild Scheme

The real aim was allegedly to save a canceled F2P version of the Respawn shooter

This story is pretty wild.

Context/TLDR: The Titanfall 1/2 servers have been unplayable for months now, due to someone hacking the servers and launching DDOS attacks on streamers. A Reddit user known as p0358 seemed to have a fix for the problem (adjusting lines of code) and the community declared them a hero. A week later, they get exposed as the hacker, alongside a group of individuals known for the infamous July 4th Apex Legends attack (which they framed SaveTitanfall for) and a reddit moderator for r/Titanfall. P0358 did this in order to attempt to get control over the Titanfall servers so they could resurrect a dead project known as Titanfall Online.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expecting a group hacking/crippling Apex to be your friend was a mistake from the start.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i'll solve the murder i commited something something roger ackroyd

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Imagine making a game unplayable so you could have cat(could be a dog) ears on a titan.

zwvu0kltvqf71.png

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Children, that's all they are. I can't imagine putting this much effort into something so petty
petty? they were going after megabucks overseas if they could get TF Online up and going.

Titanfall Online was a canceled Free-to-Play (F2P) port of the original Titanfall game, developed by Nexon and aimed primarily at the Asian market

this wasn't a hack, it was a work.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018

Not available

This story is pretty wild.

Context/TLDR: The Titanfall 1/2 servers have been unplayable for months now, due to someone hacking the servers and launching DDOS attacks on streamers. A Reddit user known as p0358 seemed to have a fix for the problem (adjusting lines of code) and the community declared them a hero. A week later, they get exposed as the hacker, alongside a group of individuals known for the infamous July 4th Apex Legends attack (which they framed SaveTitanfall for) and a reddit moderator for r/Titanfall. P0358 did this in order to attempt to get control over the Titanfall servers so they could resurrect a dead project known as Titanfall Online.
How dumb do you have to be to think you could actually pull this off? I swear people are so stupid that they think they can just steal thousands of dollars of tech from a company with no repercussions.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
I'm pretty sure Titanfall Online was just TF1 multiplayer but with added cosmetics and heroes that feels like Nexon looked at Apex Legends during development and said "yeah let's add this to our game too". It just looked weird and out of place, I'm not sure we're missing much here, mr. hacker lol

What a wild rollercoaster of a story, though.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reddit user known as p0358 seemed to have a fix for the problem (adjusting lines of code) and the community declared them a hero.
I'm confused about this part.

Regardless of whether or not they were the hacker, they had a solution to the problem for Respawn that would prevent the hacking?

OP
OP
Magic-Man

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I'm confused about this part.

Regardless of whether or not they were the hacker, they had a solution to the problem for Respawn that would prevent the hacking?
Yes, sorta. It was given to the community. They were going to play the act of hero, so that Respawn would let them control the servers, which in turn meant that they could mess up the servers to funnel people towards Titanfall Online.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want to read through the lengthy document provided, there was also a video made that talks about this entire situation.

... The video is over 20 minutes long though.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Would "die a hero or live long enough…" apply here?
Nah, because Two-Face was a hero who became villainous. If we're doing Batman villains, it's more Penguin from Batman Returns - a bad guy who pretends to be a good guy to the city at large, and is unmasked.
"I've played this city like a harp from hell!" is a more accurate quote. 😉

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Some Light Yagami shit
Light Yagami could actually plan ahead seven steps.

P0358, aside from having a username that reads like a Star Wars droid, concocted his plan under the idea that the endgame would grant him official, authorized access to Respawn's servers. Which is the sort of plot that the Brain would concoct only for Pinky to point out the very obvious, catastrophic flaws immediately.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I don't know a thing about Titanfall or Apex community, or even the whole story of the hacks. But let me summarize this and correct me if I'm wrong:

The ones who hacked both Apex and Titanfall were Nixon (never heard of them) who developed Titanfall Online, which is an Asian Titanfall game? And it is an official game and all, or just using the IP name?
And they did it to get people to play Titanfall Online and keeping them away from Titanfall (the broken one) and Apex?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember some members here getting really aggressive towards members who were condemning the Apex hack that weekend. I also remember saying to never trust a random person on the Internet who says they know how to fix something.

Yeah, I'm really not surprised. Don't trust randos. You can be better than that, folks.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So uh, he's about to get sued into the ground and/or criminally charged since he's been exposed as the DDOS'er, right?

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
lol what a delusional weirdo pants plan this dude had. How in the fuck does he math out that Respawn would hand over access to anything at all? That's some dumbass little kid logic.

I just assumed practice/lulz/personal thing from an ex employee or something. Not this Hardy Boys level insanity LoL

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
As I said in the apex hacking thread, they were not the Titanfalls community friend and never will be.

That being said EA and respawn still need to fix their security in the servers.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know a thing about Titanfall or Apex community, or even the whole story of the hacks. But let me summarize this and correct me if I'm wrong:

The ones who hacked both Apex and Titanfall were Nixon (never heard of them) who developed Titanfall Online, which is an Asian Titanfall game? And it is an official game and all, or just using the IP name?
And they did it to get people to play Titanfall Online and keeping them away from Titanfall (the broken one) and Apex?
I don't think Nexon has anything to do with this. just some crazy person who liked Titanfall Online too much

Kinda sus, ngl

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

So apparently there's this one "hacker" who prevents the 30 remaining TitanFall players from playing the game

Yeah there are like 20 to 40 worldwide players on the first TitanFall (on PC), so it's pretty much dead already but that's no excuse. I've wanted to play it since it released but never got around to it, until now since I got an EA Access sub. Problem is, it's impossible to finish a match...
Can I ask why do you accuse me?
🤔

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who regularly plays (or tries to play anyway) Titanfall 2, idk what to think anymore.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
OP
OP
Magic-Man

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
www.resetera.com

So apparently there's this one "hacker" who prevents the 30 remaining TitanFall players from playing the game

Yeah there are like 20 to 40 worldwide players on the first TitanFall (on PC), so it's pretty much dead already but that's no excuse. I've wanted to play it since it released but never got around to it, until now since I got an EA Access sub. Problem is, it's impossible to finish a match...

🤔
Holy shit you gotta be kidding me

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
And there is no way they haven't seen this. Jay Frechette did log in on this site, he must've seen the mention here. /r/titanfall subreddit's first pinned message with almost 1000 upvotes is about Titanfall 1 problems, and they surely do still look at this subreddit from time to time, given they comment on some posts. There is no way then not to notice the pinned one.
And it's not just Respawn. Then goes vulnerability on Origin that, from what I've seen, still wasn't patched, that allows you to join any player, whether they're visible and have you in friends, or no. I'll try reproducing it myself soon to see if I can manage to, and then share detailed info publicly, maybe then they'll feel any pressure. Similiar to more serious issues with origin:// links that I see were fixed just days ago, and I recall them being reported months ago.
Bruh

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The annoying part about this is that it's a bunch of drama that only distracts from EA not getting their shit together for TF1 and 2.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
www.resetera.com

🤔
LMAO

ResetEra always delivers.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I remember some members here getting really aggressive towards members who were condemning the Apex hack that weekend. I also remember saying to never trust a random person on the Internet who says they know how to fix something.

Yeah, I'm really not surprised. Don't trust randos. You can be better than that, folks.
I remember pointing out that people's ire should be aimed at the hackers not the devs and people came at me pretty hard, and also praised the hackers while also showing very little empathy for the devs having to work through the long weekend during a pandemic.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah, I've been watching the subreddit for a while and its been a wild ride, to say the least. But it at least things will start simmering down and...
www.resetera.com

🤔
...huh. I really hope its one of those strange conicdences.