• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Lemme bottom line it for you:

- Was seeing a woman seriously for about 5 years.

- Broke up about 4 years ago. Has been zero contact since, this will be the first encounter.

- She dumped me. One of the main reasons she gave: "I want to be with someone who shares my love of EDM." Reasons like that and it being sorta out of the blue caused me to take it poorly. It was a tough recovery, I felt low for a long while.

- Feel better now, and better off, and with someone new. She will be my plus 1 at the wedding. She has been briefed. That all being said: still a bit of a chip on my shoulder.

- My understanding is the ex will be bringing her new BF as well. I really don't care.

Okay now that I've laid it out: how do you comport yourself? Anyone been in a similar situation? MY inclination is the "polite stranger" tone: be nice/grownup, greet if you find yourself in the same space, but basically minimize and avoid contact. No need to make conversation or introduce new GF, and if I can get away with zero contact all evening hey I'll take it.

Thoughts?

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I would pretend I didn't see her even if I did but if you have to speak, keep it short and keep it moving. Don't want your current girl to have any reason to be upset.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With five years you don't even have to do the obligatory "No hard feelings" gretting. She should be a faceless feeling at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
If you see her, just say hi or give her the white people signal that you don't want to talk.

CQWrgfCUcAAjPaL.jpg

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Try to smash while her BF gets drunk so you can have a great story to tell years later

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
just say hi when you see her, get the pleasantries out of the way and you won't have to think about it for the rest of the day/night

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
She's already in your head, whatever you do it's gonna be a rough night for you. Anyway you can not got?

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be cordial.
It's a person you spent a large part of your life with. Say hello, wish her well. Let her know you are doing well. Enjoy your evening and don't let this overwhelm you.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
you gotta yeet your feelings into a trash can
wear rave bracelets, bonus points for wearing last years coachella bracelets
get blitz and just ignore her all night until you find her alone
go up and try to talk to her and then throw up on her shoes
uber home

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
You don't have to be friendly, just be polite. It's been four years, say hello if you see her and you're good.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
She's the one who broke up with you so you don't have to acknowledge her or go out of the way to acknowledge her. Don't force yourself to be nice just to be nice. With that said you don't have to be an asshole if she is making small talk or something.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
Keep your shirt unbuttoned half way down to show off your full chest tat of Armin Van Buuren's face.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you well adjusted and both better off, you don't even have to interact.

But if you have to do a rap duet with your GF

OP
OP
BluePigGanon

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Era I had reservations posting this but these answers are showing me it was the right decision lol

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Hmm. I would personally try to avoid her. Try my best not to be in the same environment or at least far enough where I don't have to see her. Hope that's possible

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whole lot of bad advice in here. Say hello, tell her she looks nice and it was nice to see her again and move along. You know act like a polite adult.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for for asking, but I'm confused: why is she your plus one?

Edit. my reading comprehension is terrible

OP
OP
BluePigGanon

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and an unrelated P.S.

The day after the breakup I called up one of my best friends to fill him in. When I got to the EDM reason he immediately started laughing.

"OH MY GOD GOOD RIDDANCE!" he wailed.

Felt good.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through ceremony have a bunch of hired dancers from craigslist come in while you lift boombox and gyrate in place to this