• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands meta and build variety is nuts and it's weird that people are trying to downplay that
Then again no one played Pre-Sequel, the best game and 2 was just Gaige's Big Fuckhouse
Definitely, people just grabs pitchfork because Pitchford, which i understand, but there's a depth on 2 especially Pre Sequel. I haven't played 76 so I can't say anything about that

Ruin

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Such a loaded question.

Borderlands 3 will be 2K's Destiny.
Vault hunters and vaults.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Borderlands suffer multiple rounds of nerfs/re-works to certain builds that were 'too effective'?

I know several guns were nerfed post-release, such as the Conference Call and the like.

Either way, Borderlands doesn't really strike me as being 'deep' in its gameplay choices and the like - the talent trees have enough overlap that you can partially spec into another tree after fully decking out one of the 3 choices, and for some of the classes, the 3 trees aren't really THAT different.

To be fair, there are a few shields and guns that do drastically alter builds, but from what I remember it wasn't THAT differentiating.

Maybe I'll be surprised by Borderlands 3, but I'm not especially holding my breath waiting for it.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
It surprisingly is, you could check on Youtube so many videos for so completely different builds for each class, for example if you wanted challenge on execution Zer0 was a force to be reckon with if played right asking to get close on melee range with bonus on critical health, the amount of weapons with melee bonus / elemental properties / weird ass mechanics was incredible and honestly overwhelming. Weapons behave completely different only taking into account the manufacturer, add to that the random attachments and no weapon was the same, Legendaries were a blast too, lots of game-breaking ones that embrace that game-breaking nature.

The series overused the word badass but it is because it is one of the few games where it wants you to feel like one and you do.

Some mistake the aesthetic and junior high writing for a lack of depth. I think the writing team was very poor for the most part despite the occasional chuckle, and the game's engine boarders on terrible, but the actual systems ... well I cannot think of another 360 to ps4 AAA gamethat comes close to offering the depth....Diablo I guess?

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With borderlands 1 and 2 being the original bullet sponge game I'm quite surprised by your readiness my chipper friend.
His criticism has merits though especially regarding playstyle. Borderlands 2 and PS have actually variety in playstyle, on each class even. It's due to Bungie's need to juggle between PVE and PVP balance while Borderlands wasnt balanced.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Borderlands suffer multiple rounds of nerfs/re-works to certain builds that were 'too effective'?

I know several guns were nerfed post-release, such as the Conference Call and the like.

Either way, Borderlands doesn't really strike me as being 'deep' in its gameplay choices and the like - the talent trees have enough overlap that you can partially spec into another tree after fully decking out one of the 3 choices, and for some of the classes, the 3 trees aren't really THAT different.

To be fair, there are a few shields and guns that do drastically alter builds, but from what I remember it wasn't THAT differentiating.

Maybe I'll be surprised by Borderlands 3, but I'm not especially holding my breath waiting for it.

The franchaise director and lead designer left after B2, right around the time they were deciding to go Overwatch and I doubt they will have found anyone as talented as that guy. He built the franchaise.

You really need two full playthroughs to get to the point where you need to engage with the systems, and then you need one more playthrough to get to the end game. That is a big ask, and a pretty big flaw, but it doesnt mean the depth isnt there.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who isn't really in the genre, I ended having a lot of fun with Borderlands 2 and played way more than I should have, both solo and with a friend. Yes it did have bullet sponge enemies and some bad quest design, but the gameplay loop, loot and different playstyles with different builds were enough to keep it in "playing a little to pass the time" category.

But with the current GaaS and loot box climate, I don't have any good expectations for the next one. It will seriously compromise the parts that I did like and all we will have left are the bad joke attempts and repetitive gameplay. 2K can't have really have a "pay only once and keep getting good loot" game with just traditional DLCs - that were actually pretty good in the second one. And that's without even considering the missing original talent.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I thinks dev's are kind of on the money with games like Destiny. It's intended as a multiplayer game, why waste money developing deep story content that will likely be glossed over due to the nature of playing with others? There are plenty of single player games out there that aren't shallow. It's fine to target a different demographic.

I do think it's a shame when mp character's are so well developed that they're just dying for sp content, like Overwatch.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
With borderlands 1 and 2 being the original bullet sponge game I'm quite surprised by your readiness my chipper friend.

I mean, that's a completely different topic altogether? Both franchises have suffered from bullet sponginess to different degrees over the years. I'm not sure many people would argue Borderlands has the better shooting mechanics but that's not really what I was talking about at all.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
man, Borderlands 2 was super farmy before they changed the loot table in the last patches.
remember farming some bosses and named hundreds of times before I got items with the satsats I wanted.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
His criticism has merits though especially regarding playstyle. Borderlands 2 and PS have actually variety in playstyle, on each class even. It's due to Bungie's need to juggle between PVE and PVP balance while Borderlands wasnt balanced.
Plus borderlands is only good for two weeks before everyone is running around with God tier dupes.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia

I think the biggest nerf was The Bee (Amp in general), CC is still a decent weapon, but the amp damage from The Bee was way over the top, CC was just one of the good weapons to use it (or any shotgun for that matter), but Sandhawk and Unkept Harold were just as bad, it was ruining coop for everyone on how easy everything was, the rest was exploits / bugs / glitches fixes, problem is that I think they decided to balance UTVHM and OP levels around that shield and those exploits, but then they nerfed them too, so while bullet sponges were not that bad at first, it became a serious problem on higher difficulties, relying on amp + making mandatory the use of Slag.

Balancing was a real problem on BL2 but they hit the sweet spot on TPS.

That's what really suck for me, I hate Bungie as developers but I think Destiny is a decent enough IP(The real final versions: Taken King & Forsaken ), they went a bit more crazy on exotics on 2 but it is still not enough for me, and PVP is ofc to blame for this, they should just separate gear for both sides because it honestly does more hard than good for both PVP and PVE, it hinders what they can do with weapons and powers.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to tell how borderlands 3 will be until it releases. Because 2 came out prior to companies pushing for micro transactions as hard as they were.

Borderlands 2 already has a solid system they could exploit for microtransactions with the lottery machines you can use in game money to roll and get some customization options and a few weapons. If they remove the grenade option that is just punishment and you always get something out of going for it, allow you to get the currency for this in game but also let you pay real money for it?

Forget about it.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love the Borderlands as much as the next person, but with the way 2K has been making statements on making micro-transactions as a core part of their game models, I'm pretty cautious with the future of that franchise.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to tell how borderlands 3 will be until it releases. Because 2 came out prior to companies pushing for micro transactions as hard as they were.

Borderlands 2 already has a solid system they could exploit for microtransactions with the lottery machines you can use in game money to roll and get some customization options and a few weapons. If they remove the grenade option that is just punishment and you always get something out of going for it, allow you to get the currency for this in game but also let you pay real money for it?

Forget about it.

Real money slot machines for stupid virtual guns? Yeah, I wouldnt touch that with my addictive personality.

I don't trust moderman Gearbox, Borderlands 2 was a fluke

Naw, talent and hard work. Maybe Potchford getting that team together was a fluke though.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Borderlands 1 and 2 much more than I enjoyed Destiny, but they're much shallower games than Destiny is. Not sure how you came to the opposite conclusion.

OP
OP
Segafreak

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 76 barely has any real quests, it's so far only go there to read this audio log, defend that place etc. It's an empty boring world with no NPCs, the loot system sucks because there's barely any loot to be found. I traversed hours and only so far found the same boring rifles and scrap I got in the last 5 buildings I went into, the game doesn't encourage exploration. It's basically Fallout without the content, it's like the quests are auto generated.

As for Destiny, it needed dozens of expansions and a sequel to get things right.

Nov 1, 2017
tumblr_nmc08lirXG1rv73a8o1_500.gif

I'm having an aneurysm.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP you do know Borderlands is really called Boredomlands? Just because it has content doesn't mean it's fun.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
You'd have to have NOT played a Borderlands game for more than 3 minutes to consider it "shallow"...
Fallout 76 doesn't seem to be shallow to me either...

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I never played the sequel but I don't really recall Borderlands being very deep. I'm not sure I'd expect the next one to add more depth either

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Wait, are you actually using Borderlands as an example of a deep game..? I mean, it's fun but deep isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

Also, making a co-op RPG isn't as easy as people seem to think, especially if it's as open-ended as Bethesda's are.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 76 barely has any real quests, it's so far only go there to read this audio log, defend that place etc. It's an empty boring world with no NPCs, the loot system sucks because there's barely any loot to be found. I traversed hours and only so far found the same boring rifles and scrap I got in the last 5 buildings I went into, the game doesn't encourage exploration. It's basically Fallout without the content, it's like the quests are auto generated.

As for Destiny, it needed dozens of expansions and a sequel to get things right.
I have a strong feeling you made this thread on bad faith. While yes there's a lot off things Fallout 76 does not have, that doesn't mean that it's for you. I tried the beta and had fun and that was a part of the lorebuilding.

Also if we're just gonna boil things down to that level, borderlands has guns that are essentially the same with things slighty different as flavortext. Questing is similar, go shoot that go fetch that.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands is one of the shallowest FPS games I have ever played... in fact it is the first time I encountered "loot" in an FPS

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 in its current state is probably better than whatever Borderlands 3 will be.

Borderlands is one of the shallowest FPS games I have ever played... in fact it is the first time I encountered "loot" in an FPS
What do these two things have to do with each other?

You know what you're doing.

Destiny had things right when TTK hit Destiny 1, and when Forsaken hit Destiny 2. It didn't take a sequel to get things right.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
LOL at calling Borderlands "shallow." The builds you could do, specifically in 2, were anything but.

Certainly deeper than Destiny (1 and 2 Vanilla).

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i probably missed the borderlands boat. I tried it for the first time a year or so ago, as i have them from games with gold on xbox. I couldn't stand it. The controls were bad. I hated the artstyle. I tolerated the game for i think 2 hrs. never tried it again

if u are a new player. Destiny 2 is full of content.

the first year of a destiny game is a rough one. But after that there is things to do

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
If Borderlands 3 is more of the same and doesn't take a lot from games that have come out since BL2, Gearbox is really missing the point.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I sure hope so. I loved Borderlands and Borderlands 2.

I hope it won't force online play or co-op. Fallout is one of my absolute favourite series, but I don't want to play online in a social capacity.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
You could just buy that weapon from the Torgun vending machine at the bar, I remember trying for a perfect one and that weapon would be on sale like 1/4 reloads, it wasn't even expensive, using just a few tokens, the bar itself can be used to farm those tokens, no weapon on BL took me more than 10 tried to get (unless ofc aiming for a "perfect" but that wan't even necessary) and at least on BL you knew where and how to get X weapon, no nonsense like one exotic/legendary on each side like that Destiny bs either.

DLCs for borderlands were great too, tons of new weapons and a good size of content, one of the few games that did DLC the right way, heck even the headhunter packs were more fun to me than any $20 Destiny DLC. All BL2 needed was a better balancing on skills so a lot wouldn't be useless and they fixed that and the stats scaling on pre sequel, how I wish Gearbox would stop with the nonsense and make BL3 already, they have a gem on their hands and keep wasting time, their games sold well enough I believe. Looking forward to Anthem and hope it gets more over the top and crazy unlike the boredom that is Destiny.

I've always found funny how on this forum and even back at Neogaf people would hate so much Borderlands.
Exactly. I never let hate affect me.

Borderlands 2 was insanely popular and the game is hardly shallow.

That being said, my favorite looter franchise of the generation goes to The Division. I'm hyped as hell for the second game (and most likely going to pick it over Anthem).

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I have no doubt that microtransactions will ruin Borderlands 3.

If they stick with the DLC model from Borderlands 1 and 2, it'll be a miracle.

The key system in Borderlands 2 was easy enough to ignore but I have a feeling that microtransactions will be ingrained within the core design of Borderlands 3.

Unlocking unique looks and gear by playing the game and completing challenges? A thing of the past.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Borderlands is shallow and not the kind of game we should look up to for non shallow game/ good fallout.

New Vegas showed us the way years ago and we all screamed "bugs! "

And now we clap for crap like Fallout 76

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
If it's as shallow and dull as the previous Borderlands games, then I rather doubt it'll be saving anyone from anything.