• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Cyberpunk 2077 Release?

• Without delay (Sept. 17)

Votes: 308 23.2%
  • Delayed but still 2020 (e.g. Nov.)

Votes: 548 41.2%
  • Delayed to 2021

Votes: 474 35.6%

• Total voters

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 is ERA's most anticipated game of 2020. So I'm very curious: who here thinks it actually gets released on time? Who here thinks it gets delayed? What is your rationale?

Three options:
a) Releases on time (Sept. 17)
b) Gets delayed, but still 2020 (e.g. Nov.)
c) Gets delayed to 2021

Personally, I think it will be option b).

CD Projekt Red seemed confident when they announced that they have fully transitioned to working from home recently and are seeing positive results.
They seem to be down to just bug-squashing and the polishing stage at this point as well.

I also think the COVID-19 situation will have improved enough by the Fall that distribution and logistics won't be a major issue. I do predict Cyberpunk will get delayed by two months though to mid-November. This will provide a bit of extra time due to less efficiency working from home and will also allow more time for the COVID-19 situation to hopefully improve further.

What do you guys think?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah.

My guess is later in 2020, but we'll see.

Maybe they will launch with the new consoles?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First B. Then C.

Similar to TLOU2, I think at first you delay to be a launch title. Then the consoles gets delayed.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely 100% yes. Honestly, I think chances were good it would have received one more delay even without covid-19.

It'll be pushed back two months to November. November is going to be more open this year than it typically is, and they'll capitalize on that.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Going with no, but if it does it won't go past 2020, game's gotta be nearly gold now, might even be gold.
It's the starchild of Nvidias new lineup, there's a lot riding on that.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Gotta a feeling it wont, but if it does it does what can you do, I know people will be safer and the game will be better.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Option C.

Its getting delayed but for how long remains to be seen, though personally I think they'll slip to 2021 and probably release it around April.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I remain firm in the belief that the only reason TLOU2 was delayed was because it's a game about a post-apocalyptic hellscape, which just isn't kosher with using gaming as an escape.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I don't think so but I think there's a very high potential for it to get delayed indefinitely. If games like TLOU2 and Iron Man VR are getting delayed indefinitely (not even with a 2020 year date), I can see this getting delayed at any point in time. If it is, I don't think we hear about this until June-July(ish)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Big, prestige games have the most to gain by waiting for retail spaces to return to normal. 2021 seems likely to me.

Physical copies matter to them more than anyone, except the console manufacterers themselves.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Physical sales haven't stopped during this pandemic. As an example, Best Buy is still getting orders out on time, and hell, you can pick them up at the store with contactless pickup.
The report is that they're having trouble getting the copies printed and shipping is being effected, that's the reasoning.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
If it's delayed, it's because they couldn't complete it on time working remotely. I don't believe CDPR will be as concerned about retail and the logistics of that as Sony was for Last of Us II. GOG and the PC platform is a big market for them.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
It confuses me that the bulk of the vote is late 2020 considering the studio's history of delays.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll be 2021 also. Feels like they'll delay it because of the virus and also because they need more time to polish.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It confuses me that the bulk of the vote is late 2020 considering the studio's history of delays.
These are a new class of delays.

Last of Us II could release when it was supposed to but won't because of economical reasons. It's scary that we honestly don't know where we might be come September.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I mean, it already saw one significant delay.

There's significant opportunity for them this year if they can shove it out in November. I think the bulk of the typical year-end guard will be absent.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With the powers vested in me, it shall be cancelled!

*deletes the entire game from the servers.

but seriously, i can see it being delayed til next year.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Arrrrggggghhh, I can wait, so long as it turns out amazing, I. CAN. WAIT.

though I don't wanna

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Probably but it doesn't seem like studios are set back THAT far from what I've read. Given that they were planning on launching in 5 months, even if "productivity" is cut in HALF, it'll still launch in early 2021. I'd be surprised if it was even that severe, I mean a lot is lost in translation with working from home but ultimately if you're on a computer it probably doesn't matter that much where you are and I'm sure they have tight schedules and goals to keep up with.