• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Disco-Elysium_20190918_08.jpg

With the announcement of Disco Elysium coming to consoles a while back, I can't help but feel we'll see a resurgence for the game a la Hollow Knight after it made its way to the Switch. As you may already know, Hollow Knight released in 2017 on PCs and made a sizeable splash in the mainstream just like Disco but it wasn't really until the Switch version where it really blew up and folks from all over started noticing it. It got to the point where we were getting "Hollow Knight is overrated" takes. That's how you know you've made it.

Jokes aside though, I know there's a hype for Disco on here and it's gotten rave reviews (like Hollow Knight) but I still can't shake the feeling that it is being slept on hard in general by people.

Era is a mainly console-dominated site which is why I wouldn't be surprised if Disco gets a resurgence after it releases on PS4 and XBO but you seriously owe it to yourself to play this game at some point. Maybe even now. Amazing experience, an absolute gem and the very best game of the year without a doubt. A true instant classic, masterpiece and turning point for role-playing games in general. See you in 2020 with the "Convince me to keep playing" threads.

UTEMieZ.jpg

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't think so. Hollowknight felt like something that would blow up from the beginning. DE is a reading game that is fundamentally about politics and philosophy.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Well the game had a lot more exposure than HK did while it was still on PC only so it can't be just that. Hopefully a lot of console only people buy it and see how good the writing is, beyond anything any current console dev can muster and a true next step for crpgs.

See you in 2020 with the "Convince me to keep playing" threads.
This doesn't have action and combat like HK, the threads are gonna be worse.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
It's no secret that most of this community pretends PC doesn't exist. Their loss.

And yes, Disco Elysium is incredible. It will be talked about by CRPG enthusiasts at the very least for years to come.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I haven't played Disco yet myself, but I think it's way too niche for that.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with that is that Hollow Knight was in a genre that console players tend to love, so I a way that new audience was ready to embrace it. Disco Elysium might come to console, but it'll still be a PC-ass PC game at heart. Not sure people will be necessarily more receptive to it because they're playing it on a controller all of a sudden.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It will be very similar, but I don't think the type of game DE is will resonate as easily as Hollow Knight.

That said you will see it talked about a hell of a lot more once it's on consoles either way.

Oct 29, 2017
More like the next Planescape: Torment. Similar fan base at least.

Indies have the virtue of being allowed to be extreme, niche, and unique. Indie doesn't work as a predictor because these games couldn't be more different.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The problem with that is that Hollow Knight was in a genre that console players tend to love, so I a way that new audience was ready to embrace it. Disco Elysium might come to console, but it'll still be a PC-ass PC game at heart. Not sure people will be necessarily more receptive to it because they're playing it on a controller all of a sudden.
Really good point, a bunch of people were craving for a good Metroidvania and Hollow Knight came at the right time. It was the perfect storm. That CRPG fanbase just isn't there on console. Those who've really wanted to play Disco have already done so.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I await for a weird GOTY 2020 category to try and give it a win after it comes to consoles next year, like Hollow Knight had.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Nah probably not. Amazing game, but because of the type of game that it is, it doesn't have the appeal of something like Hollow Knight.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
No. Not enough action. I couldn't get into hollow knight but I can see the mass appeal. Most folk are going to play this game for 45 minutes, realize there is no traditional combat and bounce.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish it would but it's just not as accessible as something HK.

But I do think it will have a long tail and be talked about in the same reverent tones as Planescape: Torment years and decades down the line.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it'll find the same commercial success even after the console ports, but critically it does seem to be following in the footsteps of Hollow Knight and Undertale of "PC indie darling that came from obscurity" (I say having followed it for like 3 years, admittedly).

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Not until it hits consoles.

Even then it wouldn't have the same mass appeal as Hollow Knight.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know about that. Thanks for the thread, loved the asthetic and I'm definitely buying it. Also, I'm a huge hollow knight fan.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I don't think so, Obra Dinn came out on consoles and didn't really seem to blow up. There was a really short OT and that's it.
Some games just don't have that wide appeal.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Following something for that long and it turning out to be even better than you thought is the best thing ever.

Yup.

I was going through my past GOTY posts since it's the season and realized the Furies...er Disco...has been on my Most Anticipated list every year since 2016, lol.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
It needs to release on more platforms. Plus text heavy crpgs are just inherently more niche than metroidvanias with a cute art style.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
No. Game is not for everybody, not everybody has the patience to sit through a wall of text, or a dice roll. I personally love the game but is far from mainstream choice.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? So it's a decision heavy game?
It's a game like Baldur's Gate, or the original Fallout games, or Divinity, without the combat. Everything is handled through talking to people or interacting with the environment. There's no combat except for skill checks if you can do something or not. For example, there'll be a dialogue option where you can choose to punch someone, where it has a percentage chance to succeed based on your stats. You can succeed at punching them, fail at punching them and miss (And then suffer greater consequences because well, you tried to punch them and missed), or you can die from a heart attack caused by you attempting to punch them because you barely have any points in physique.