• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So Disney have been remaking all of their most iconic animated movies into live action moves. So far these have varied in success ranging from good (Jungle Book), mediocre (Beauty and the Beast) and bad (Alice in Wonderland).

And it doesn't look they'll be stopping any time soon with Aladdin, Lion King and Dumbo on the horizon and movies like Hunchback, Little Mermaid and a many others currently entering production.

My question to you is do you think enough time will pass that Disney will remake iconic Pixar films like Toy Story, Up and Finding Nemo in live action (or a "realistic" animated style) or are they safe from being updated? Would you welcome it or be against it?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the cynic in me says of course they'll do some form of remake, if not exactly "live action". but disney has a wide enough portfolio so not sure they'll resort to it like they are now

not like anybody will look back on beauty and the beast, aladdin, cinderella, ect 10-20 years from now and think about the live action movies. they were just a box office sugar high

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Honestly - wouldn't be shocked if this marks the last year Disney goes super hard on live action adaptations. Dumbo and Aladdin both seem poised to underperform. Lion King will be an enormous hit, but that's also barely 'live action'. So I think it's entirely possible they hit the breaks before Toy Story is even considered.

Though honestly, a new version with photorealistic animation could be interesting. Not full movie interesting, but I'd be curious nonetheless.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer that they remade some of their less popular ones, like what they did for Pete's Dragon, or even Dumbo. Those are movies that could be improved with remakes. There was nothing to be added to stuff like Beauty and the Beast or Cinderella, but those have more recognition

Gimme those Black Cauldron and Sword in the Stone remakes.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We still need The Emperor's New Groove, Treasure Planet, Lilo and Stitch and Brother Bear live-action remakes first.
I think Pocahontas and Hunchback have been confirmed?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. I'd watch a live action Ratatouille. Plus some of Pixars rougher movies could benefit another couple of drafts on their scripts . Maybe I'd enjoy the live action version of Up once they got to the island.

OP
OP
Lynchian Anomaly
Oct 25, 2017
Up and Brave could easily be translated into live action and I think Finding Nemo could be rendered in that new Lion King style without it looking too jarring.

Maybe not A Bug's Life. That'd be nightmare fuel.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Up and Brave could easily be translated into live action and I think Finding Nemo could be rendered in that new Lion King style without it looking too jarring.

Maybe not A Bug's Life. That'd be nightmare fuel.
The Incredibles could easily be translated to live action. Probably no need since Marvel covers that space pretty damn well.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I hope not, but I guess if Disney want it and the fans want it, sure. I just won't be watching it. Part of the charm/character is lost whenever cartoons go live action.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The Good Dinosaur might actually be better. I always though that design looked like a scrapped Mario character.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I really wish they had waited another 15 year for cgi to get that much better before doing these. Doing them so much later would have changed all the casting, but still. It feels a bit too early. BatB was... barely passable. Aladdin looks roooooooooough asf. I dunno..

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Ratatouille with a hyper realistic rat would be something. Realistically it should look vaguely like Pikachu from Detective Pikachu. But imagine if they went full on realistic. Same for A Bug's Life.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Please God no. Those live action remakes are bad and unnecessary already.

Most Pixar stories won't even work in live action at all. Brave, Ratatouille, The Incredibles 1 & 2 might be the only one, if you disregard the possibilty of a photorealistic Nemo