• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, i could keep going. It doesn't raise any red flags to you that battlefield bombed this year? Or that other large titles like battlefront 2, or titanfall 2 failed to take off the way they were intended to? Im not talking about their sports catalogue, thats clearly alive and well, but i think there is a discussion to be had at the idea that these games arent pulling in numbers the way ea would have liked them to.
discussing how they've had difficulties doing anything else that isn't sports, how they've been cancelling a lot things is one thing. another entirely is your thread title, lol

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
No. They're making lots of money out of AAA games. Their sports games alone makes more than a fortune

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
giphy.gif

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Nah, i could keep going. It doesn't raise any red flags to you that battlefield bombed this year? Or that other large titles like battlefront 2, or titanfall 2 failed to take off the way they were intended to? Im not talking about their sports catalogue, thats clearly alive and well, but i think there is a discussion to be had at the idea that these games arent pulling in numbers the way ea would have liked them to.

What red flag? I only see EA growing every year, year over year they keep growing and making billions of revenue.
You don't have actual sales
You don't have actual projections
You are just talking randomly

A company that makes OVER 5 BILLION USD is going to leave the AAA business, because ACCORDING TO YOU, they are losing money? Are you for real?

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously i know their sports games will continue to make bank. Should have called used "outside of sports titles" or something in the title. Also not really drinking any youtube koolaid, this is just an observation i had after watching a few games
Of theirs seemingly not do well consecutively.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Battlefront 2 didn't bomb, hell it was #8 selling game of 2017 op

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ventur...17-the-10-best-selling-games-of-the-year/amp/

Ahead of games like super Mario Odyssey

Get off your high horse

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What red flag? I only see EA growing every year, year over year they keep growing and making billions of revenue.
You don't have actual sales
You don't have actual projections
You are just talking randomly

A company that makes OVER 5 BILLION USD is going to leave the AAA business, because ACCORDING TO YOU, they are losing money? Are you for real?

Yeah, when BATTLEFIELD undeperdorms there is clearly an issue

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

But did Battlefront II, Battlefield 1 & 5 and The Sims 4 not make money?

Don't know how well Need for Speed Payback and Mass Effect Andromeda did too.

These are their non-sports AAA games. Besides games like Unravel, A Way Out, Fe and Sea of Solitude. And the remaster of Burnout:Paradise in the last 3 years.

will0wis

Nov 1, 2017
Brazil
Anyone else read that title in Jim Sterling's voice?

I always read "triple A" with his voice lmao. I love it.

In topic tho, EA probably cannot leave the AAA business in any way. The whole company is founded on making huge games and having huge names published. It's investments are based around that, it's current size is supported by that and anything but that would probably mean the end of the company.

The way I see it, as it is, EA either keeps this up or it collapses under its own weight. I don't think that will be happening any soon though.

Ceannaire

Dec 12, 2017
Ireland
Kinda get OPs point if you considering the sports games as just below AAA standards in terms of production budgets,
if EA kill Bioware and Disney dont renew the star wars license could easily see a future where EA solely work on Sports Games and Sims, with Battlefield maybe still in the mix

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
how tf did battlefront 2 bomb LMFAO

it missed EA's ridiculous sales targets but it still sold a fuck ton

w5jFCrA.png

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AAA games are where the big money is in the console/pc gaming market. So no, EA will not leave AAA space.

I can see them leaving AAA single player games in the dust though, GaaS games are much easier to monetize, which speaks directly to the people at EA making the decisions.

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda get OPs point if you considering the sports games as just below AAA standards in terms of production budgets,
if EA kill Bioware and Disney dont renew the star wars license could easily see a future where EA solely work on Sports Games and Sims, with Battlefield maybe still in the mix

Thank you, this was the point i was trying to get to but i think you got their much more elequently then i did.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
As a FIFA player, there is literally nothing more I want in this industry than EA to go bust / leave.
I say that genuinely and with utmost sincerity.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The quality of their games have gone down the drain this gen, but they are likely making more money than ever before thanks to micro transactions. So I do believe they will try to build that in to everything they make from now on. So I guess it depends on how you view your AAA games, the EA of old isn't coming back.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, Op think FIFA is not AAA? It probably has a bigger budget than your favorite AAA game LMAO.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine their shareholders would ever let them. EA's riding this train all the way to the end, whenever that is.

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But did Battlefront II, Battlefield 1 & 5 and The Sims 4 not make money?

Don't know how well Need for Speed Payback and Mass Effect Andromeda did too.

These are their non-sports AAA games. Besides games like Unravel, A Way Out, Fe and Sea of Solitude. And the remaster of Burnout:Paradise in the last 3 years.

I know battlefield 1 did well, and i know the sims still has a contingent of fans. But i was under the impression that battlefront 2 didn't meet expectations. At least thats why it was so heavily discounted not long after launch, not entirely dissimilar to battlefield v

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of those are losing money. Battlefront 2 sold ridiculously well. Battlefield seems to be doing fine too even if slightly underperforming.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know battlefield 1 did well, and i know the sims still has a contingent of fans. But i was under the impression that battlefront 2 didn't meet expectations. At least thats why it was so heavily discounted not long after launch, not entirely dissimilar to battlefield v
A few games not meeting sales expectations does not mean the company is going to step down their game. Should Nintendo get out of the race because Mario Tennis sucks?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
OP went from "but they're losing money" to "but Battlefield performed under expectations" (which isnt losing money) in less than two pages.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Will Disney stop making blockbusters?"
"Will Boeing stop making airplanes?"
"Will Apple stop making iPhones?"

Status
Not open for further replies.