• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinsen

Aug 1, 2018
Please get off that Youtube outrage kool-aid for a bit and join us in the real world OP

20180514_Games_Revenue.jpg

Insightful chart. Up until stumbling upon it I wasn't even aware of NetEase's existence or that Apple's gaming revenue was higher than Microsoft's...

Genuine question though, how in the world does Bandai Namco make that much money?

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Don't worry about EA FIFA will continue to make millions and millions for them to cancel as many star wars games as they want

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
EA is triple A to their bones. They don't have any other way of doing things and haven't for the last 10 years atleast, go big or go home for good and bad.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Please get off that Youtube outrage kool-aid for a bit and join us in the real world OP

20180514_Games_Revenue.jpg
Nintendo is doomed.
Kinda get OPs point if you considering the sports games as just below AAA standards in terms of production budgets
Just the licensing fees costs more than the whole development for many games. And they put a ton into advertising too.

Edit: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/21/fifa-video-game-changed-football
Fifa 2016's development budget, by contrast, is estimated to have been in the region of $350m.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't own those studios though, so it's not quite the same thing? The games they actually make are all AAA outside mobile

I mean, why they need to own those studios? EA is a publisher, if those games exist is because of them with how much publishing deals. I don't really understand why this rule needs to be made. lol

Besides, even inside with their own studios we have examples with The Sims 4, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 and such.

Fair enough, forgot about unravel. EA originals is just publishing, was talking about developing as is this thread.

This thread to me seems more of EA as a publisher than talking about their internal studios.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I mean, why they need to own those studios? EA is a publisher, if those games exist is because of them with how much publishing deals. I don't really understand why this rule needs to be made. lol

Besides, even inside with their own studios we have examples with The Sims 4, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 and such.

This thread to me seems more of EA as a publisher than talking about their internal studios.
Sims 4 is AAA, just cus it's cartoon style, don't make it not AAA.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a crazy thread. My word.

That said, I'd be OK with EA leaving everything else behind and leaning into sports more than they do already. Let DICE and the Titanfall/Dead Space IP's go and bring back the Big series of alternative sports games alongside FIFA/Madden.

Nov 3, 2017
I love how people keep uncritically repeating that ME Andromeda was a commercial failure when that game was one of the top selling games of 2017

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

Thread wouldn't make sense as being in a publisher sense, they don't publish external AAA titles, aside from Titanfall which they eventually bought.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I love how people keep uncritically repeating that ME Andromeda was a commercial failure when that game was one of the top selling games of 2017
Hey, people on this forum keep saying that BioWare's about to die even though I don't think they've published a single game under EA that didn't make a profit, so I guess it's to be expected at this point.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
We might see them back off from certain genres and from trying new IPs. As they have done before .
But as they are literally a few weeks away from a new AAA IP, hopefully that isn't for a while yet

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
So long as they have Madden and FIFA, it will never happen. Bear in mind, not excusing or even endorsing them. They are scum as corporate suits. They have great development teams under them and I wish some of them could pull a Bungie, But that is the reality.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
They won't ever stop sports titles on consoles, lol. Plus of course mobile games. But everything else could be shelved, especially if the next Battlefield disappoints sales wise like V and Anthem fails.

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They won't ever stop sports titles on consoles, lol. Plus of course mobile games. But everything else could be shelved, especially if the next Battlefield disappoints sales wise like V and Anthem fails.

Oh yeah sports I know will continue to thrive, but im curious about how they might change their approach to other games if anthem doesn't hit like they want it to.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Nah OP

EA is Immortal bastards unfortunately. Plus it doesent help that us as a consumer continue to throw waves of cash at all them microtransactions.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Oh yeah sports I know will continue to thrive, but im curious about how they might change their approach to other games if anthem doesn't hit like they want it to.
They just invested in moving BioWare Edmonton to a bigger and more expensive workplace as well as upping their expectations on Anthem due to pre-orders exceeding expectations in their last EA Investor report, as well as continueing to make DA4, so I think they are still investing in those kinds of games :p Sims 4 is also mentioned positively along with Fifa as making revenue in their EA Investor reports so that title is doing well. The only one a bit iffy at the moment is Battlefield and they probably are still monetarily sucessful even with a difficult launch and marketing campaign. They also are the main people that created Frostbite. I don't see them going to just their sports games, especially when they will need more games in general for their game subscription service which seems to be doing well.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can't talk about EA and not mention anything about their sports branch. FIFA alone is a bigger beast than almost any other AAA you may think of.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Then there won't be an Anthem 2, Bioware will downsize a bit and the next Dragon Age game will be their last chance.

But even ignoring the sports studios, you still have DICE with plenty of bounceback potential, you still have Respawn that they just paid a pretty penny for, and you have other studios supporting the overall infrastructure with mobile games and ongoing titles that still make them money to allow for the potential disappointments that have occurred recently.

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They just invested in moving BioWare Edmonton to a bigger and more expensive workplace as well as upping their expectations on Anthem due to pre-orders exceeding expectations in their last EA Investor report, as well as continueing to make DA4, so I think they are still investing in those kinds of games :p Sims 4 is also mentioned positively along with Fifa as making revenue in their EA Investor reports so that title is doing well. The only one a bit iffy at the moment is Battlefield and they probably are still monetarily sucessful even with a difficult launch and marketing campaign. They also are the main people that created Frostbite. I don't see them going to just their sports games, especially when they will need more games in general for their game subscription service which seems to be doing well.

Yeah I agree that frostbite probably gave dice a ton of leeway within the company. And i quite like their games, ive been playing a lot of battlefield v, but i guess with it not taking off the way they thougnt it would i cant help but be a bit concerned

Oct 25, 2017
No. Their sports titles bring in a ridiculous amount of stable annual income. That provides a huge safety net to experiment on other projects even if those new projects will be GaaS as well (Anthem).

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Ive been thinking about this quite a bit. EA had had a rough go of it this generation. Between the absolute blundering of the star wars license. Commercial bombs like titanfall 2, battlefront 2, battlefield v, mirrors edge 2, and mass effect andromeda, and the general negativity that surrounds the company and its studios, i have to wonder if there is a major restructuring in their future. I cant imagine this star wars deal has been very profitable for them outside of battlefront 1. And those games that tanked cant have been cheap endevors. If rumors are to
Be believed much of biowares future relies on anthems success. And if that fails its not unreasonable to picture EA leaving behind large triple a games that im sure cost them a fortune to develop in favor of smaller, more easily monetizable titles like their sports series. Anyway just a thought. What do you guys think, also the same could be worried about for bethesda with their line of commercial bombs.
I'm fairly sure that Battlefront 2 still made a ton of money. Mirror's Edge and Andromeda doing poorly just means they'll be even more risk-averse when it comes to non-Sports titles. And their sports stuff is still AAA.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, should I go visit Bioware in Edmonton, and take a tour, before EA management sees this thread and decides to kill them and the rest of their own revenue streams?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
How can you be a living breathing human being and come to this conclusion. OP talks about Fifa as if its put together by 6 blokes in a shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.