• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to buy Shin Megami Tensei V?

• Yes, I was already previously convinced.

Votes: 127 69.0%
  • Yes, and this thread convinced me.

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 40 21.7%
  • No, and I already knew I was not.

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • No, and this thread helped me decide I was not.

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
In threads about the soon to be released Shin Megami Tensei V, the question of "If I like Persona, will I like this?" comes up often. It's a totally fair and reasonable question, as the games share a lot of DNA. I figured it was worth making a thread to try to help anyone asking these kinds of questions determine if they should buy SMTV, and perhaps suggest other games as well.

I also want to emphasize that you don't have to follow all this advice if you don't want to. Do what you want! This is just a guide for those unsure or overwhelmed by the sheer number of games and spinoffs.

What is a Persona game?

Persona is a series more well known than Shin Megami Tensei these days. It was a spinoff game of the Megami Tensei franchise. In the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series, after SMT II, there was a game called Shin Megami Tensei if... It was an alternate scenario of SMT1 where the apocalypse part never happened. You're a high school student (and can even choose male or female!) and another student summons demons, and throws the school into an alternate dimension. You can choose one of the available students to ally with, and then the quest begins. You still negotiate, recruit, and fuse demons like in other SMT games, but you can also have "guardians" you summon to have the protagonist use skills. Some of this may sound familiar, because Persona actually spun off as a result of this game! The protagonist from this game actually appears in Persona 1 and 2.

Persona 1 had the Japanese title of "Megami Ibunroku Persona". The "Megami Ibunroku" branding was used on Devil Survivor 1 too. From Nocturne up through Persona 4, the games had the Shin Megami Tensei branding in the west. This was due to trying to make it recognizable, since up to that point, Nocturne released first. Before Nocturne, Persona 1 was localized as "Revelations: Persona", as well as Last Bible 1, a spinoff set in a medieval fantasy. Last Bible 1's localization was called "Revelations: The Demon Slayer". Persona 2 Innocent Sin's PS1 version was not localized, and Eternal Punishment didn't have the Revelations OR SMT branding on it.

Persona games take the concept of people wearing many masks (or Personas), and are often more driven by their characters. All of them have some kind of aspect where you can get to know the characters throughout the game. Persona 1 and 2 have frequent rooms in dungeons where you can talk to the rest of the cast. Persona 3, 4, and 5 have social links and the calendar. Characters can change Personas which gives them different sets of skills and changes their weaknesses and resistances. In P3/4/5, only the protagonist can do this.

Persona games generally don't have quite the apocalyptic events that SMT games do, and usually they revolve around a school.

The games have dungeon crawling, fusion, and the weakness exploiting based combat all in common with SMT. These elements have some differences, but they are similar concepts. The Persona games also use the same pool of demons drawn by Kazuma Kaneko as Personas. This is mainly due to budgetary restrictions, but it's been a long held tradition. Any Personas designed exclusively for the Persona series will stay that way. Some mythological entities have multiple designs by Kaneko, with one for Persona and another for SMT. The Personas often take a more mask-like appearance. Ever since Persona 3, Soejima does the artwork for any new Personas in the series.

Persona games will often have a story following a certain mythology, usually having the characters represent characters from that mythology story. For instance, in Persona 3, it's based on Greek Mythology. The protagonist's initial Persona is Orpheus, and other characters have Personas of that same mythology. Akihiko has Atlas, Koromaru has Cerberus, etc. Some certain villains wield Personas that are adversaries of those characters. The final boss battle does end up being a form of an actual Greek mythological entity.

What is a Shin Megami Tensei game?

SMT games have a more apocalyptic scenario and are more about taking a side to determine how the world would be rebuilt. They involve demons showing up, as well as recruitment and fusion of them. The combat involves exploiting weaknesses. They're more focused on the world rather than the characters, but there's still some great characters in the series.

SMT's gameplay loop does not have a calendar or social link or anything like that, it's more about going dungeon to dungeon, usually having a fairly large map to explore. SMTV in particular looks like it has exploration elements to it. You can probably compare it closely to the dungeons of Persona 5, but you aren't on the clock to complete them. SMT dungeons are hand-crafted, and has had some well known good ones, as well as ones that are often cited as a pain. The games aren't ALL serious all the time, as there's sometimes lighthearted jokes in them. They do deal with fairly serious topics about reshaping the world, and even emphasizing that none of the sides are necessarily objectively "good" or "evil".

Recruitment and fusion of demons plays a huge role in SMT. In Persona games, if you struggled on a boss, usually the first thing you did was go look at the protagonist's Personas and find a good one or two that would work for the boss. In SMT, you want to tailor your set of demons for a situation as you need them, and make sure not to have any dead weight! If a boss is weak to ice, every single demon should be using Bufu, otherwise they're fairly useless. This also includes covering the protagonist's weaknesses. In Nocturne, the protagonist has something called Magatama, which are a thing he can equip that are basically armor and weapons all rolled into one. They bestow skills, and change his weaknesses and resistances. In that game, you have to choose the correct Magatama that fits the situation.

I mentioned in Persona how it often has characters representing different figures, but in SMT it just straight up has those figures fighting each other in the game. In Shin Megami Tensei IV, you'll witness Scathach training Setanta to become Cu Chulainn, or you'll witness archangels fighting the armies of Lucifer. You'll often see either YHVH ("God", spelled that way because it's unpronounceable, and can also be interpreted to mean "Yahweh") or something in his stead fighting against Lucifer and his minions. YHVH himself has only actually been in two SMT games, but he is mentioned in some other ones.

Will I like SMT if I have only played Persona?

That depends on what you like about a Persona, but I do think you should give it a try! Regardless I'll go through a few things that people like about Persona.

If you liked Persona 1 or 2, you'll almost certainly like SMT! There's no real question of that!

If you liked the social link and character aspect, you may not like SMT. It doesn't really have that kind of thing.

If you loved the Persona designs, or the enemies in Persona 5, then I think you would like SMT. Most of the demons are from the brilliant mind of Kazuma Kaneko. While he is basically soft retired, his creations are still used in the series to this day, and his influence is felt.

If you liked the dungeons of Persona 3 and 4 you might like SMT, but SMT dungeons are not randomized.

If you like Persona 1, 2, or 5 dungeons, you will probably like SMT. The dungeons are often structured in a similar manner.

If you like the time limited calendar aspect, SMT does not have that.

If you like Persona 3, 4, and 5's combat, you'll definitely like SMT. It's different, but still involved some form of exploiting weaknesses to gain extra turns.

If you liked the endgame story arcs of Persona 3/4/5, you will probably like SMT. They have the apocalyptic elements of those endgame story arcs across the whole game. In SMTV you've probably seen in the footage that the protagonist gets taken to a ruined Tokyo, called Da'at, implied to be Tokyo after an apocalyptic event.

Will SMTV be a good place to start if I have never played any SMT game?

While it can't be said definitively until more people have played it, based on previews and footage presented so far, SMTV should definitely be a good place to start. There's a wide array of difficulty options, including "Safety" as free DLC, which is for players that just want to experience the story, easy, normal, and hard. The UI has things very clearly explained, as well as concise tutorials on mechanics introduced.

What other games should I give a try?

The entire Megami Tensei franchise has a ton of spinoff series, plenty untranslated, some fan translated, and many properly localized. One thing that's important is that much like Persona, unless the game is a direct sequel, you should be clear to play it on any order!

81mmQ+xEhxL._SL1500_.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster came out earlier this year, and is considered by many (myself included) to be the best game in the series. Don't let the memes about Matador scare you, it's not a hard game, just one that requires you pay attention and use all the tools given to you. It's pretty straightforward with it's mechanics. While the remastered version kept the changes minimal, and some technical aspects took a small hit, all the gains it has made it the definitive version of the game. It's available on PS4 (or 5 with BC), Switch, and Steam. It's full price is a bit overpriced, but to me it was worth it. It has gone on sale a few times, and would be one to watch for the fall and winter Steam sales. The original version of the game is of course available as a PS2 disc, but also as a PS2 Classic on PS3, but this version has some minor technical issues.

815uewDXaPL._SL1406_.jpg
81VSAAO-DkL._SL1500_.jpg

Devil Survivor is a strategy RPG, more focused on characters, but having many hallmarks of SMT. A lot of people like to go from Persona to these games. The games are completely independent plot wise, but share similar gameplay. You can play them in any order! They are on DS and 3DS, but I recommend the 3DS versions as they're a straight upgrade, including extra content that doesn't interfere with the game's original storyline.

71stOptb5zL._SL1048_.jpg
71NUZrROfLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Digital Devil Saga are games really sold by their atmosphere, story, and characters. Gameplay is much like Nocturne. Instead of recruiting demons, your party members transform into them and learn skills on a system with some aspects of a skill tree called the Mantra system. There's really nothing quite like them. Important thing here is you DO need to play them in order. DDS2 is a direct sequel to DDS1, and you would be very confused starting with the second game. Many people consider them one long game broken into two parts, but you do start at level 1 in DDS2 and a story reason for that is given. I can't think of anyone that played these games and didn't like them. The original PS2 discs can be hard to find, but both games are available as PS2 Classics on PS3. They do have some emulation issues, but definitely look up how to use the secret emulation menu on the PS3 to mitigate some of this. I hope they do an HD Remaster of these one day, more people should discover these games. I played them for the first time this year and did LttP threads on both.

2478691-box_smtppsp.png
Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_US_Cover_Art.jpg
Persona_2_EP_cover.jpg

Persona 1 is a game I know many Persona fans have not played. I enjoyed it, but totally understand why many people do not. However I do recommend the Persona 2 duology. The games should be played in order. Innocent Sin is the first one, and a rather easy game, but with an excellent cast of characters. It's only English localization is the PSP version. Eternal Punishment is the second one, and my favorite Persona game. It's difficulty is right in the sweet spot between too easy and too hard. It's only English localization is the PS1 version, when Atlus only started doing faithful localizations. Some of the names are the Americanized names from the original Persona 1 localization. Eternal Punishment is available as a PS1 Classic on PS3 and PSP. The actual disc costs an arm and a leg, so good luck trying to track that down lol.

81u4ZnAcEUL._SL1500_.jpg
81XM714tLtL._SL1500_.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei IV can also be a great place to start, or something to play after you play V. It is an excellent game that is pretty easy to get into, and especially for newcomers to the series, can provide a challenge. SMT IV Apocalypse is NOT the same game, and is actually a sequel to IV. Play IV first! IV Apocalypse goes a different direction with the storyline, incorporating unfortunate shonen anime tropes. However it's gameplay is top notch, and I think with that aspect alone, you'll probably have a good time with it.

There's many other games in the overarching franchise, some translated, many untranslated, so check out the ones that sound interesting to you. Ideally, I encourage everyone to check out Shin Megami Tensei V when it comes out. It's shaping up to be a good entry point in the franchise and an incredible game. Please let me know what other questions you want to see here that aren't mentioned above, and I'll add them to the OP!

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Shit, I have III, IV, Apocalypse, and I preordered V. I'm going to get into it eventually. I just haven't had time.

Great thread.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the large amount of effort that went into this. Just a suggestion, but I think snazzy pictures to break up the text would make it less intimidating for folks (even just having game covers would do).

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Really good post.

It's fun to date murder your friends!

I'd also add that SMT IV is a fine place to start if you have a 3DS. It can be a bit obtuse at times and the difficulty is front loaded, but I think it does as good a job as any of the games of showing off what people like the franchise, including atmosphere, themes, music, combat, endings etc. IV is probably my favorite just because of how well realized the world is.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Og Persona 5s end game is the most smt persona has even been. If you liked that vibe I'd give smt v a try

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the large amount of effort that went into this. Just a suggestion, but I think snazzy pictures to break up the text would make it less intimidating for folks (even just having game covers would do).
I went ahead and added box arts. Also realized I forgot the IV games and added those with a brief blurb.
I have enjoyed the Persona games since Persona 1 (2 and 3 being the highlights).

But I have never enjoyed a SMT game.

So...I dunno OP. They seem very different to me.
I'm a little surprised, most people that enjoy P1 and P2 enjoy SMT.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Nice post it's really detailed and provides a good idea of what SMT is.

I would also go as far as to mention that demons in SMT have a lot of personality and feel like Jrpg NPCs/cast. In Persona they feel like tools while in SMT they feel like regular human beings.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
From personal experience getting friends who are into Persona to try SMT, what they miss most is the tone and social sim aspects of the former. The playfulness and generally more poppy, lighthearted nature of Persona along with all the various activities to break up the dungeon crawling/battles, especially when it can be done at any time mid-dungeon run. The strong focus on interpersonal relationships and characters is core to their enjoyment.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
very nice write-up, TC

EP is your favorite?

Bold, but I like it
Yes! I loved it's adult cast and it's difficulty is absolutely perfect, something that Innocent Sin really whiffed on. There wasn't a single time I ever felt frustrated to the point where I wasn't having fun anymore with any of the bosses. On each attempt I could look and see what I did wrong and what I actually needed. One of my favorites was a particular late game boss that heals itself for a ton every turn, so you have to be able to keep consistent damage on it. It was one that you really have to optimize for, but isn't ridiculously hard.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I want to mention that SMT feels more like a classic Jrpg than Persona imo. Why I say that well it's because Persona incorporates a ton of micromanaging with social links and the calendar system. In that aspect, Persona feels like a visual novel dating sim more than a classic Jrpg.

SMT has npcs, settlements, traditional story progression, and etc just like other Jrpgs. The only oddball is Nocturne, but that game was always the experimental title in the franchise with it's abstract storytelling and minimal nature.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
From personal experience getting friends who are into Persona to try SMT, what they miss most is the tone and social sim aspects of the former. The playfulness and generally more poppy, lighthearted nature of Persona along with all the various activities to break up the dungeon crawling/battles, especially when it can be done at any time mid-dungeon run. The strong focus on interpersonal relationships and characters is core to their enjoyment.
Yeah, and that's part of my reason for making this. I think people should have some understanding of what they're getting into, and how it's not the same, just because they see the same green dick chariot.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fantastic thread.

Thanks for making this. I did not like Persona 1, but I'm definitely interested in SMTV.

I enjoyed Tokyo Mirage Session combat so that must mean something :/

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Yes! I loved it's adult cast and it's difficulty is absolutely perfect, something that Innocent Sin really whiffed on. There wasn't a single time I ever felt frustrated to the point where I wasn't having fun anymore with any of the bosses. On each attempt I could look and see what I did wrong and what I actually needed. One of my favorites was a particular late game boss that heals itself for a ton every turn, so you have to be able to keep consistent damage on it. It was one that you really have to optimize for, but isn't ridiculously hard.
It was my first Persona/SMT game. When 3 blew up, I thought, "I'll buy the earliest release I can get my hands on." Ha! Some of the bosses were definitely a shock but I'm still crazy about the franchise(s). Maya is my favorite megaten protagonist.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fantastic thread.

Thanks for making this. I did not like Persona 1, but I'm definitely interested in SMTV.

I enjoyed Tokyo Mirage Session combat so that must mean something :/
TMS combat is arguably simpler, but still has the same idea of exploiting weaknesses, just in a different fun system (Session). I particularly liked that TMS' combat rolled in Fire Emblem aspects to it, such as having the weapon triangle be part of the standard SMT weakness chart.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Also if you want to attack and dethrone god, you might like SMT

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I remember walking into SMTIV and hoping Walter and Jonathon would be really cool and bros to Flynn… lol I quickly realized Walter and Jonathon were… different lol this ain't Persona
I think you'd like SMTIV Apocalypse. It's the direct sequel to IV, but the story is more like what you were hoping it would be.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Great post, I do have a quick correction though.

Persona 1 had the Japanese title of "Megami Ibunroku Persona". The "Megami Ibunroku" branding was used on Devil Survivor 1 too. Up through Persona 4, the games had the Shin Megami Tensei branding in the west. This was due to trying to make it recognizable, since up to that point, Nocturne released first.

This isn't exactly true. Persona 1 carried the Revelations branding in the US which was Atlus's 1st attempt at localizing the SMT brand (Last Bible for the Gamr Boy was also localized under the Revelations brand).

Persona 2:EP, on the other hand, carried no branding at all. It wasn't until Persona 3 that they added the SMT label on the series in the west.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Great post, I do have a quick correction though.

This isn't exactly true. Persona 1 carried the Revelations branding in the US which was Atlus's 1st attempt at localizing the SMT brand (Last Bible for the Gamr Boy was also localized under the Revelations brand).

Persona 2:EP, on the other hand, carried no branding at all. It wasn't until Persona 3 that they added the SMT label on the series in the west.
I guess I wasn't really clear on this. What I meant was from Nocturne to Persona 4, they stuck the SMT branding on everything. Persona 1's PS1 localization and Last Bible 1 were under Revelations like you said.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
One thing that I think is missing from your explanation is that the tone is overall quite bleak compared to Persona. Not that SMT doesn't have more lighthearted parts, because it absolutely does, but there's a big difference between Persona being "power of friendship" (though arguably one of the best realizations of that trope), and SMT almost always eventually going "kill everyone that doesn't align with you, including your former friends." Happy endings don't exist here and are not expected, because everything is just that fucked, and I think people should know that going in.

Good write up otherwise! You covered a lot.

Og Persona 5s end game is the most smt persona has even been. If you liked that vibe I'd give smt v a try
Seriously. That final section is straight SMT aesthetic. I loved it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This might be just bad luck on my part, but I found that an abrasive point of SMT was how all-or-nothing the Press Turn system was compared to One More. In Persona, not hitting a weakness just means you don't get to go twice on that character, which is what the game balances for. IIRC, if you miss or get resisted in SMT, you can lose multiple turns across your whole party. So if you're just running into new enemies, there's always a chance you unexpectedly hit a resist and then get pretty much railroaded by them. YHVH help you if you're ambushed.

The other major difference the OP kind of alludes to without spelling it out. You have to build your own party from scratch in SMT. You no longer get the predefined archetypes that ensure you're somewhat covered in most angles with your party members. Basically, Persona is the toolbox approach like FFX and SMT is build everything yourself like Pokemon. Except it's hard. And you can't just stick to the same good ones for longer than a few hours. If you come across a boss you can't handle because you don't have the right weaknesses or resists, you may have to spend some time reconfiguring. It doesn't happen too too often since your demon bank is decent in size, but it can be progress-halting.

Buhbooyah

Nov 21, 2019
In regard to the Pokémon team-building aspect: fusing old demons to make new ones and navigating the demonic compendium (essentially a Pokédex you can summon from with currency) has had such gigantic baked in QoL changes since IV.

Like I could see someone in the year of 2021 going completely blind into SMTIII and not knowing what the fuck (and falling off) without the experimentation through gameplay that was sort of expected back then. IV? Apoc? Probs V? Sheeeeeittttt easy street.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of friends that I always preach SMT series to them.

"You love Pokemon, check out SMT!"

parski

Nov 13, 2017
Great thread. I'm going in from Persona so I'm cautiously excited. This thread made me way more hyped though.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Excellent thread, thank you for this! I got into the series through Persona 5 but I'm definitely going to give this a try too (after I play Persona 4)

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
This might be just bad luck on my part, but I found that an abrasive point of SMT was how all-or-nothing the Press Turn system was compared to One More. In Persona, not hitting a weakness just means you don't get to go twice on that character, which is what the game balances for. IIRC, if you miss or get resisted in SMT, you can lose multiple turns across your whole party. So if you're just running into new enemies, there's always a chance you unexpectedly hit a resist and then get pretty much railroaded by them. YHVH help you if you're ambushed.

The other major difference the OP kind of alludes to without spelling it out. You have to build your own party from scratch in SMT. You no longer get the predefined archetypes that ensure you're somewhat covered in most angles with your party members. Basically, Persona is the toolbox approach like FFX and SMT is build everything yourself like Pokemon. Except it's hard. And you can't just stick to the same good ones for longer than a few hours. If you come across a boss you can't handle because you don't have the right weaknesses or resists, you may have to spend some time reconfiguring. It doesn't happen too too often since your demon bank is decent in size, but it can be progress-halting.
I felt this mainly only really happened in Strange Journey (which does not use Press Turn) for random battles. It did happen occasionally to me in games that use Press Turn, but seemed pretty rare, and even then only on bosses. In all the Press Turn games, bosses are pretty clearly marked when they're coming ("I'm detecting a strong demon up ahead, do you want to go on?").

Strange Journey I remember usually had what I call "The Bootes Struggle", as usually at the start of Sector Bootes you have to walk around right in front of the ship for a bit to get some demons to help you contend with what's there, and keep healing.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I felt this mainly only really happened in Strange Journey (which does not use Press Turn) for random battles. It did happen occasionally to me in games that use Press Turn, but seemed pretty rare, and even then only on bosses. In all the Press Turn games, bosses are pretty clearly marked when they're coming ("I'm detecting a strong demon up ahead, do you want to go on?").

Strange Journey I remember usually had what I call "The Bootes Struggle", as usually at the start of Sector Bootes you have to walk around right in front of the ship for a bit to get some demons to help you contend with what's there, and keep healing.
I didn't play SJ, but I think it happened enough to be noteworthy in 4. Mainly because of the smirking, IIRC? I distinctly remember one bad interaction where you had an AI ally and they would trigger smirk for the opponent with their random moves and then you'd be punished. Not a huge deal, but Press Turn + smirks were ultimately a bit more all-in than modern Persona gets. But hey, there is more skill that lies in navigating the in-between areas though. I'd compare it to a high TTK vs low TTK FPS. 90% you're getting the ambush and navigating to wipe on 1 turn or setting up smirks if possible. Sometimes you don't get the jump and that's where you really need to figure the turn out.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play SJ, but I think it happened enough to be noteworthy in 4. Mainly because of the smirking, IIRC? I distinctly remember one bad interaction where you had an AI ally and they would trigger smirk for the opponent with their random moves and then you'd be punished. Not a huge deal, but Press Turn + smirks were ultimately a bit more all-in than modern Persona gets. But hey, there is more skill that lies in navigating the in-between areas though. I'd compare it to a high TTK vs low TTK FPS. 90% you're getting the ambush and navigating to wipe on 1 turn or setting up smirks if possible. Sometimes you don't get the jump and that's where you really need to figure the turn out.
Fair, Smirking in IV could be really bad sometimes about that. They adjusted it to be a lot more fair in IV: Apocalypse.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I don't get why Strange Journey Redux was left out, it is a main installment in the series even without a number. I think its a masterpiece, its atmosphere is unmatched.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why Strange Journey Redux was left out, it is a main installment in the series even without a number. I think its a masterpiece, its atmosphere is unmatched.
It's atmosphere is lost in Redux IMO. I think Redux is an enjoyable game, but changing the artwork like that can really bring down the atmosphere.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the write up OP, I think I'll give it a try as a Persona only fan, but maybe wait for some reviews to drop to make my final decision
I do love the social aspects of the Persona series, so that will be missed, but everything else you mentioned seems dope

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Good write up. As someone who only played Persona and never touched SMT, I love SMT3 and find the darker more vague story far more interesting than the Persona games. It appeals to the Souls fan in me. The combat is tougher but it makes sense. You just have to plan each turn slightly more than tha Persona games.

Edit: and dont be afraid to use a walkthrough, SMT3 is a lot more obtuse than the Persona games, so a guide may be helpful.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Press Turn can be pretty unforgiving to new players, but I also think it favors the player far more when you know how to handle it compared to Persona's One More.

Part of that is how the different systems work with the battle system though. Customizable stats letting us min/max the main character(i don't know if this is in SMTV or not) leads to them becoming unstoppable with the right build, and backup demons makes resource management much easier since we have more party members to bring in when MP gets low or just for healing when needed.

The extra level of party customization makes having everything covered not too hard, but that does create more room to have the wrong setup for an area for those that are new to it. It's something to get used to, but I think anyone familiar with Persona's One More system won't have too much trouble with it.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It's atmosphere is lost in Redux IMO. I think Redux is an enjoyable game, but changing the artwork like that can really bring down the atmosphere.

I think its a matter of preference honestly (I think its fine). still, I mentioned Redux specifically because its available on 3DS and easy to get via the eShop. in any case, it deserves to be up there :P

This is an excellent series, I wish more people would give it a chance, one of the best JRPGs out there and the good thing about it is... every main game in the series I tried was amazing in its own way. Nocturne had its otherworldly atmosphere and its fantastic dungeons, but 4 was a more refined game with better characterization and setting. SJ was more epic than the others though, and pacing was superb!

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I think it is a big problem. It was cool for the PS2 games but I'm not super pleased with it coming back in full force for SMT5. The SMT series has a huge problem with overemphasizing nulls/resistances because of how much you can get wrecked by even being hit by a weakness once. Like, if a character is weak to something and the enemy chain casts a Ma- spell, you're probably just Game Over unless your MC has a resist for that.

Bringing back MC Death = Game Over just pushes the already samey balance issues even harder, and removing save anywhere is just going to make that frustrating.

Being able to build your whole party is the strength of the SMT games, after P3 basically totally removed party customization. But it is usually super crystal clear what the "good" demons are due to the importance of resists/nulls/reflects and how some types of skills/spells don't fall off with level (Reflects, full heals, buffs, etc.). There's just always stuff like Fiends or Doppleganger that are wildly above average, and knowing exactly what the balance problems are ahead of time dampens a bit of the excitement for a new game. The only thing we don't know yet are whether "Dance" skills are super great or super bad.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have any major issues with SJ Redux's artstyle. But maybe it's because I didn't play the original. Devil Survivor (especially the sequel), though...whew.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
This is a nicely written thread, congrats OP!

Because I'm a Soul Hackers shill, I would also want to mention SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers :)
If you'd like to play a JRPG with a cyberpunk setting, viewed from the perspective of the 90s internet era, you might like Soul Hackers.
Its cheesy futuristic atmosphere and aesthetics, its vaporwave-styled soundtrack, the way they try to predict what the internet would evolve into, I love it.

However, It is a bit antiquated from a gameplay and visual standpoint. And it is not easily available -- it came out on the Saturn in 1997, it was later ported to PlayStation in 1999, and like a lot of SMT games, it had a 3DS port in 2013.

I would not recommend it as your first SMT game, but if you've played some games in the franchise and want something different, Soul Hackers has a lot to offer. I highly recommend the 3DS port, by the way. Just keep your expectations in check, it is a '97 game after all.

ATLUS, where's my Soul Hackers sequel? 🥺

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
The original SJ has like 8 character portraits in a 50 hour game. The atmosphere that is being lost is "mysteriously absent portraits".

It goes beyond the character portraits, and some of the new ones really aren't great. However on top of that you get ones such as Zelenin blushing that really don't fit at all. Plus there's Alex, that really throws a wrench in the plot and makes the other endings seem inferior to her centrist one. Alex is this entity that gets occasionally mentioned as she knocks you out and takes you to the Womb of Grief, but otherwise the characters seem unconcerned that there's another human already here (other than Jack and Ryan's squad). The UI having changed so much also takes out some of the atmosphere. While it's very functional, arguably moreso than the original, the feel of it is just not very Strange Journey if you get what I mean.

Plus you have things like Mastema and Bugaboo being central demon characters, but still (fortunately) use their original portraits instead of having new designs like all the humans. I should also point out that you spend A LOT of time looking at those "8 character portraits".

Redux did make some gains, such as the dungeons themselves looking less pixelated and much more clear, but I think overall it's still inferior to the original game.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd add a bit about Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE into the OP - it feels like a bridge between Persona & SMT in that it has a heavy emphasis on dungeon crawling like the SMT games, but it still has some sidequest content with party members a la Persona. Also, unlike many of the other games listed in the OP, it's easy to find these days since it's on the Switch (don't play the Wii U version - the load times are a pain).

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
This is a nicely written thread, congrats OP!

Because I'm a Soul Hackers shill, I would also want to mention SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers :)
If you'd like to play a JRPG with a cyberpunk setting, viewed from the perspective of the 90s internet era, you might like Soul Hackers.
Its cheesy futuristic atmosphere and aesthetics, its vaporwave-styled soundtrack, the way they try to predict what the internet would evolve into, I love it.

However, It is a bit antiquated from a gameplay and visual standpoint. And it is not easily available -- it came out on the Saturn in 1997, it was later ported to PlayStation in 1999, and like a lot of SMT games, it had a 3DS port in 2013.

I would not recommend it as your first SMT game, but if you've played some games in the franchise and want something different, Soul Hackers has a lot to offer. I highly recommend the 3DS port, by the way. Just keep your expectations in check, it is a '97 game after all.

ATLUS, where's my Soul Hackers sequel? 🥺

Yeah, the fact that I wouldn't recommend it as a first SMT game was why I didn't mention it in the OP. It's an excellent game though and would make a great second game! It's not particularly difficult, and can even be blown open if you know what you're doing. Probably one of the major things holding Soul Hackers back from being the first game you should play is that it doesn't explain it's mechanics up front. For instance, they never explain demon personalities until a few dungeons in.

You kind of already got your sequel....the Raidou games, although they're technically more of a prequel. I hope to see Devil Summoner continue one day. I started Raidou 1 and am unsure if I will go back to it. The combat was a real turnoff.