• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Was browsing the eShop on my Switch this morning, about to buy some games (now that 200h later I think I'm mostly done with Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey) and it hit me that this week's is thanksgiving, and digital markets like PS Store and MS Store already have some black friday deals in place already, soooo

Will Nintendo do a Black Friday sale? Have they done one historically on other platforms? They did a Halloween sale, so is it likely?

Im personally eyeing Golf Story and Sonic Mania

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Who knows. Was there a Black Friday sale last year? (though even if there wasn't, things may be different now with the Switch).
By the way, there is already a 30-40% off sale on NBA 2k18 in the eshop.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I certainly hope so.

I know that Nintendo almost never does sales for their own games but I wish they would do one for ARMS to make more people try it, is a really good game (And do one for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe while you're at it so I can finally buy it).

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Megaton sale and Nintendo are rarely in the same sentence, especially for their first party stuff.

VillagerMax

Nov 4, 2017
I doubt we will see any first party Nintendo games go on sale but I expect a few indie developers to take advantage of the discount tab.

Deleted member 62

As much as I'd love something like the Xbox Live sale, not even indies or third parties lower their prices that much for eShop sales.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess Skyrim and Doom would be a bit too soon:P

Anyway would be cool if some nice indies got a sale. No way i am buying Isaac @ 40 bucks.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
not black friday, but theres a sale on Aus eShop for NBA2k18. The legends edition is ~40% off, the normal is 30% off I believe. Planning to buy it this week.

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
The halloween sale was pretty crappy so even if there is one I'm not expecting much. They should put their own games on sale even if isn't a big sale. Even 10% off of Zelda would bring some credibility and attention to the sales.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Historically Nintendo have never been a great home for sales, especially of 1st party titles. This might change with the Switch, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

OP
OP
FelipeMGM

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Also, Nintendo was the first console platform to have a Humble Bundle, wonder when they will debut a Switch one

Oct 28, 2017
Really want to try Mario + Rabbids as I think my 8 yr old son and I would like the co-op. I've never been much of a strategy gamer though and I'm afraid to bite on it at $60

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
The one thing that makes me think there won't be a Black Friday sale is that there has been no mention of one by Nintendo. Then again maybe they want to maximize sales at full price before Black Friday and not for everyone to hold out (?) Doubt it, but who knows.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nintendo do not give a shit about digital distribution or the proven best ways to maximise sales and profit through it with competitive pricing.

At best, we'll get a sale with a fraction of the content and discount everywhere else will do, even for the same titles, but it's always best to expect nothing from them, because they have proven time and again that that is all they want to give anyone.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Of course, Capcom always put their game up for sale on Wii U, especially Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Oh wait.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
OP, if you're living in NA, just buy physical copies that's on sale.
i'm a peasant outside of US, and our deals are a joke. Deal = The game is now in stock.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it was 40% off iirc.
tenor.gif

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
They'll have some sort of promotion, but don't hold your breath for anything big. Just take a look at MyNintendo and what they give as discounts for Gold points to see what their idea of a deal is.

If it's been released on physical you'll be much better served checking out your usual internet retailers. Nindies? 5-20% depending on how old the title is.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The sale they had on the eShop during that week last year was called "Cyber Deals," but wasn't really a Black Friday sale or anything like that in terms of pricing or whatever. They did put some of their own games on sale last year during that week alongside third parties big and mostly small. Here's what they did last year:

Monday: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic...6-unlucky-mage-and-more/page-28#entry13531132

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Wednesday (Cyber Deals sale is anything ending 12/5): https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic...6-unlucky-mage-and-more/page-29#entry13534921

Hidden content
Thursday: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic...6-unlucky-mage-and-more/page-29#entry13538389

Hidden content
Conclusion: Plenty of games went on sale during the week, but not really any Black Friday-level prices for the games Nintendo put on sale. It's probably best to not expect much this year.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Skyrim and Doom would be a bit too soon:P

Anyway would be cool if some nice indies got a sale. No way i am buying Isaac @ 40 bucks.

Isaac was on sale a couple of weeks ago. It was pissy though, like 10%.

It does seem expensive but by the time you add in all the add on content that comes base with the Switch version it's not so bad a price.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo should get with the times and start making more meaningful like other platforms. I am mostly digital on switch but I would've bought more games if they had decent discounts.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isaac was on sale a couple of weeks ago. It was pissy though, like 10%.

It does seem expensive but by the time you add in all the add on content that comes base with the Switch version it's not so bad a price.
True it's just that i already got the game cheap on PC and even got it on psvita (that one is rebirth tho). So buying it again for that price seems a bit steep.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Their Cyber Week deal last week was actually really good. Many first party games were even 30-50% off.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo themselves won't discount anything.

And like Shiggy said, most third parties, even if they put their games on sale, won't offer deep discounts.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to pick up Overcooked, but I'd prefer to have it over Thanksgiving rather than waiting. Might just take the plunge because at best I'll be saving what, $5 to $10?

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If you count 5% off a shovelware game after purchasing $100 or more on the Eshop that can only be done after getting a coupon from my Nintendo rewards using 300 platinum coins, then yes they will have Black Friday sales.