• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Or HDMI 2.0?

I was watching TechRadar's unboxing and the guy says that PS5's HDMI cable is same as PS4 Pro's cable. Is there an official 2.1 confirmation from Sony?

I think it's important to be ready before the console launch. If It's not 2.1, i will buy a cable.

Last edited:

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I watched DF video yesterday and they said they cannot answer that question yet. Maybe embargo or something.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I saw something like that on DF I think, where they wouldn't confirm nor deny because of the embargo but that's something weird to me. Will have to wait until they can talk about it.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
That looks nothing like the HDMI cable that came with the PS4 Pro:

nUcFs4n.jpg

Edit:
Here's an unboxing video, too (1:40)

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it comes with a HDMI 2.1 cable.

It's simple logic: They won't put a cable in the box that can't offer 8K or 120 fps when this is advertised on the box. And for products where there is no suitable cable included, there is always an asterisk / a footnote that says something like "Requires HDMI 2.1 cable, not included in the box". Because they don't want to get sued or swamped with support requests.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I watched DF video yesterday and they said they cannot answer that question yet. Maybe embargo or something.

Which they followed up by immediately saying "it wouldn't make sense to not include an HDMI 2.1 cable" and "it works fine with the LG CX", so you can read between the lines that the answer is 'yes'.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure...

...the XBOX Series X HDMI cable literally states Ultra High Speed but the PS5 one doesn't.

I'm holding off. No literature confirming it right now and YouTuber's can't say based on unboxing a cable.

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
Eurogamer Spain did an unboxing and they said that it was 2.1. I dont know if they unintencionally broke embargo or if they just didn't know.

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't make sense to advertise 2.1 features on the box and provide a cable that isn't compatible with those features. It would have been better to provide no cable at all than to willingly provide the wrong one.

Oct 29, 2017
On a side note, if one does not have a TV with HDMI 2.1, is there any benefit to an HDMI 2.1 cable? Because my current switch box and cables are all 2.0.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
How do people even consider it's not 2.1 compatible cable when it couldn't showcase all the features that PS5 has to offer? Smh
Because people need a explicit details and can't read or comprehend implicit details
On a side note, if one does not have a TV with HDMI 2.1, is there any benefit to an HDMI 2.1 cable? Because my current switch box and cables are all 2.0.
Nope. Zero. It's only needed if you have a tv capable of 4K 120. Or 8k.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most ridiculous thing about all this is why is there even an embargo for the cable info lol

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
In IGN's unboxing video the guy doing the unboxing said the cable was HDMI 2.1.

It's now been edited out of the video. I'm guessing they accidentally broke the embargo?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Why is there an embargo about the capability of the HDMI cable? Seriously shit is so stupid.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
In IGN's unboxing video the guy doing the unboxing said the cable was HDMI 2.1.

It's now been edited out of the video. I'm guessing they accidentally broke the embargo?
Yeah the date for the official "preview" is next Friday so that's where they can preview everything but not offer conclusions in a sense just full commentary. Then final review is the 11th.

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there an embargo about the capability of the HDMI cable? Seriously shit is so stupid.
Yeah that shit is the dumbest thing i've heard all day.
There isn't an embargo just on the HDMI, there is an embargo on the general capability of the entire console which the hdmi classification falls into. Embargoes in general are meant to stop different press sites from posting information at wildly different times that can damage traffic to lesser known sites. Having a hard embargo for everything ensures that everyone has enough time to actually play with the console and release information on equal footing. I doubt Sony literally said "don't talk about the HDMI cable".

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
There's been no confirmed anything from anyone but I would very highly doubt it didn't come with one.

The would actually be pretty petty from a money saving standpoint. They can eat the extra 2 cents per console. Especially when it's literally on the box that it supports 8k and a bunch of games support it.

It must come with one.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It does, but why in the fuck is there an embargo for a HDMI cable? šŸ˜‚

Status
Not open for further replies.