• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Please quote me & yes it's just pretty lighting.

If we see something like this. Then I'd be freaking out and excited for the next generation.

You were quoted enough already. You do understand that ray tracing will help quite a bit in realising realistic visuals? Including reaching that visuals you want.

To that ends It's not just pretty lighting....it's important. No reason to handwave important additions to visuals just because it isn't mature yet.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
You were quoted enough already. You do understand that ray tracing will help quite a bit in realising realistic visuals? Including reaching that visuals you want.

To that ends It's not just pretty lighting....it's important. No reason to handwave important additions to visuals just because it isn't mature yet.
No fucking shit, I'm not stupid. It's just ya'll talk about the wrong things about next gen and it's technology

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be, and in the future, devs will learn to optimize RT. Currently it's just tacked on as the games were not programmed with RT in mind, I think that's the main reason why the performance cost is so huge.

Control and Metro are the best uses of RT currently, by far.
That's just not true. Ray tracing is more general purpose, so the mathematical concepts scale better with scene complexity (while scanline rendering involves more optimization tweaks - perspective corrections, etc.). Ray tracing naturally solves things like the visibility problem with a higher computational baseline

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
That's just not true. Ray tracing is more general purpose, so the mathematical concepts scale better with scene complexity (while scanline rendering involves more optimization tweaks - perspective corrections, etc.). Ray tracing naturally solves things like the visibility problem with a higher computational baseline
Minecraft would be a better representation on what RT can do.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
No fucking shit, I'm not stupid. It's just ya'll talk about the wrong things about next gen and it's technology

We're talking about what we know. We don't fully know the specs...we don't know what the ssd will allow and we haven't seen enough game footage.

So excuse us for talking about tech that's already in practice. And don't post stupid shit if you don't want people coming at you like that. You got the appropriate response.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
More comparisons please!

The fact some RTX examples don't show a huge leap especially compared to performance hit doesn't mean RT is not the future. It absolutely is.

I just don't know how viable it is on series X and ps5. I'll just have to trust Devs to use it wisely so that it doesn't impact gameplay or comes to detriment to other aspects of the graphics.

Also, I love that Minecraft track so much.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
More comparisons please!

The fact some RTX examples don't show a huge leap especially compared to performance hit doesn't mean RT is not the future. It absolutely is.

I just don't know how viable it is on series X and ps5. I'll just have to trust Devs to use it wisely so that it doesn't impact gameplay or comes to detriment to other aspects of the graphics.

Also, I love that Minecraft track so much.

Early examples of games built for rasterization that also add RT support are obviously not going to be the strongest point of comparison. Early examples of PBR were also nowhere near what we see today, for example. It takes time for developers to fully utilize a new technology.

here's one key differentiator - instead of faking reflections with approximations, RT can actually do real reflections:

hqdefault.jpg

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
We have to be careful about what we mean by Raytracing as well.

Most games are using Raytracing like you see above while only a couple like Minecraft are even trying to do Path Tracing which is even more intensive and more amazing.

The future is Ray Tracing, but it will take another full generation past PS5 and XSX to fully realize the potential, and that's a good thing. We get to see it continually improve over the coming years.

Just like other rendering improve st, there will be a big perf hit. Some games will opt for the been it's at the perf cost while others will use old techniques to have higher fps and resolution.

I tend to trust that most Producers and Directors know how to make, who to talk, and what data to review to make the correct tradeoff decisions for their games.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Since the post you quoted was about Toy Story 1 I'm gonna talk about that film. A farm from mid 90s doesn't mean much today.
One look at Toy Story 1 and you can already see that it's missing half the things that you see in current gen games or doing it in considerably lower quality simply because some of the things didn't even exist back then in theory or were very new. Things like GI, world space lighting, proper contact shadows, object motion blur, physically accurate materials. These are all areas where current gen games surpass Toy Story 1. The movie was also 720P to boot, and had basically PS360 quality textures on everything that weren't the main characters. The only thing Toy Story has current gen beat in is the model quality and that's entirely because it doesn't use polygons but rather NURBS, which are mathematical models. But with tessellation you can achieve similar look.
They did a really good job without all that tech. Still, we aren't getting pixar quality games on PS5.
Pixar from 25 years ago... okay... maybe I can give him that. But tbh, there's something about how clean it looks, I don't think it's just the models, maybe it's the shadows or the light quality I'm not sure. But I just don't think games look even this clean currently, even with all the extra tech.

ts1jrja2.png

ts2w3kpe.png

ts3miksh.png

Pixar quality from 25 years ago in other aspects but in real-time? Okay, sure.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Typical response. BRAVO!!! CLAP - CLAP - CLAP!!!
Next gen will be mean nothing if we don't see a major jump in realism and not just pretty lighting that everyone is having orgasms for.
But "pretty lighting" is basically the single most important aspect of what makes games and CG do a major jump in realism.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
They did a really good job without all that tech. Still, we aren't getting pixar quality games on PS5.
Pixar from 25 years ago... okay... maybe I can give him that. But tbh, there's something about how clean it looks, I don't think it's just the models, maybe it's the shadows or the light quality I'm not sure. But I just don't think games look even this clean currently, even with all the extra tech.

ts1jrja2.png

ts2w3kpe.png

ts3miksh.png

Having basic assets and post processing makes it look cleaner because it's less cluttered. I'd say Toy Story 1 was surpassed this gen itself in most aspects.
Pixar movies actually have a ton of blur, they've gone on record saying that it's basically one of the way they completely get rid of aliasing on top of super sampling obviously. It's just that for modern pixar movies they use high quality everything whereas games would use lower resolution post processing, shaders than the rendering resolution of the geometry. Compared to old pixar stuff, there wasn't much of that post processing and what was there was pretty inaccurate and low resolution, but it wasn't ever present so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb. One example being their object motion blur implementation which was very basic and low res, if they used other shaders in abundance it'd have affected the look of the whole movie and made it look blurrier.

The TS1 rerelease was also kind of a remaster as they redid a lot of things and rendered at a higher resolution, the original TS1 looks much much worse today and doesn't really hold up.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ts1jrja2.png

ts2w3kpe.png

ts3miksh.png

that's because there's a shit ton of anti-aliasing. way more than is possible for 33 milliseconds of render time

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I really hope it becomes a huge leap forward, it made Quake 2 look modern and even next gen in some parts for example.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
It's the inexorable, irrefutable future of video game graphics. There is no debate against this. Rasterization may still be used to some degree in the future, but a majority of the rendering will be raytraced or pathtraced as optimization gets better and hardware can catch up.
Agreed.

Raytracing is the next stop in graphics just as programmable shades were.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wth are you talking about? The rebirth video doesn't even use RT and it is easily achievable next-gen with better graphics and with RT.
Next-gen will see a leap as big as PS1 to PS2.
I don't see why people are looking for examples from other dimensions while they ahve concrete examples like Hellblade 2 and now the photoreal Mara (with RT obviously).
The first video (the UE4 engine one) reminded me of this video of a person making a realistic looking League of Legends map. Lighting looks very user friendly in UE4.

Also lighting seem to be a powerful point in Decima games so far. Horizon Zero Dawn's was Hyper Realistic and faked for beauty, and it looks impressive.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gu...cimas-lighting-and-render-systems-work.54431/

2371752-9420495614-1_by_.gif

Feb 10, 2018
It is certainly provides more realistic lighting in real time graphics.
However there is still a lot of improvement which can be made without it.
There will be games without raytracing which look better in some ways then games with raytracing.
Raytracing is not a fix all solution there are pros and cons.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the posts of "well, other lighting systems are just mathematical approximations of what Ray-tracing would already do!"

Mathematical approximations... aren't really bad?

If you have a mathematical approximation is that 99% as good as 50% the performance then...

I think ray-tracing will be used in future gens, but I just don't see it having any impact this gen.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? The rebirth video doesn't even use RT and it is easily achievable next-gen with better graphics and with RT.
Next-gen will see a leap as big as PS1 to PS2.

I don't see why people are looking for examples from other dimensions while they have concrete examples like Hellblade 2 and now the photoreal Mara (with RT obviously

Certain people don't like others to get excited by next generation consoles for whatever reason...

PS1 to PS2 is a massive ask at this stage though lol.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Putting aside Toy Story 1 ...

That gif is what sold me on "next-gen" - last time. That got me hyped more than anything else.

The reality of it:

Wow that was cut or changed greatly for the final game, seem to be downgraded too. Though the demo was real. Jimmy Fallon played it live on his show and did stupid stuff like run into a wall from what I remember. Also the lighting seems similar, and Horizon Zero Dawn still drops my jaw.

Wait, this compares the aircraft part with the E3 demo. It seem to be in the final game.

Edit: Yep this is the demo section. The buildings aren't as shiny, and the lighting changed from being in the light to having the landing area more in the shade of the building, including less glare from the sun, maybe from the lighting change. Also there's some boxes near the landing that were covered and are now uncovered, there was no cloth simulation so that seem to be just to make it more interesting.
www.youtube.com

Killzone Shadow Fall 2013 Gameplay Demo vs Retail PS4 Graphics Comparison

Killzone Shadow Fall was one of the PS4 launch titles and the very first gameplay video debuted on PS4 reveal conference back in February 2013. Let's watch 2...

Last edited:

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Wow that was cut or changed greatly for the final game, seem to be downgraded too. Though the demo was real. Jimmy Fallon played it live on his show and did stupid stuff like run into a wall from what I remember. Also the lighting seems similar, and Horizon Zero Dawn still drops my jaw.

Wait, this compares the aircraft part with the E3 demo. It seem to be in the final game.

Edit: Yep this is the demo section. The buildings aren't as shiny, and the lighting changed from being in the light to having the landing area more in the shade of the building, including less glare from the sun, maybe from the lighting change. Also there's some boxes near the landing that were covered and are now uncovered, there was no cloth simulation so that seem to be just to make it more interesting.
www.youtube.com

Killzone Shadow Fall 2013 Gameplay Demo vs Retail PS4 Graphics Comparison

Killzone Shadow Fall was one of the PS4 launch titles and the very first gameplay video debuted on PS4 reveal conference back in February 2013. Let's watch 2...

I meant looking at cutscenes, even if they're in-engine, isn't a good representative of gameplay, not that the scene was completely cut, sorry for the confusion. Apparently they pre-baked the raytracing for the reflections but somehow that is also toned down in the final version, along with a bunch of other things.

Anyway I'm very curious to see what the consoles can actually pull off this time. I hope AMD had some bright ideas. And Nvidia just needs to keeeeeeeep pushing because I want it all and turned up to 100/10.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yep, I'm ok with 30fps on console, I guess. I'm sure once it's cheaper they will come up with a new technique that cuts frames again. Console cinematic frames till the end of time.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The first video (the UE4 engine one) reminded me of this video of a person making a realistic looking League of Legends map. Lighting looks very user friendly in UE4.

Also lighting seem to be a powerful point in Decima games so far. Horizon Zero Dawn's was Hyper Realistic and faked for beauty, and it looks impressive.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gu...cimas-lighting-and-render-systems-work.54431/

2371752-9420495614-1_by_.gif

See this is the problem, you can fake it yes. And you can get excellent even jaw dropping results. Case in point? AC Unity's GI, which imo is as good as any ray traced GI, hell they even managed to fake the look on some dynamic objects using small probes for stuff like character lighting etc. But in the end it did mean the game doesn't have a dynamic TOD and the Devs have to spend a lot of time micromanaging the assets plus wait for the baking process anytime they want to make a change.
IRi0Tud.png

Or how about the room in UC4? This is equivalent to ray traced GI, but ever wonder why other parts of game don't look like this despite the game not having dynamic TOD? It's because it's a lot of effort and not really feasible for anything other than a small pretty much non interactive environment.
mlmdJyg.jpg

Then there are more dynamic implementations of GI using probes, but then these probes themselves are pre calculated. So it's more like instead of switching between 4 high quality variables like AC Unity, they dynamically switch between 6-8 variables throughout the day. The limitation here being light has a lot more variation and properties throughout the day than 6-8. And since it's precalculated it doesn't consider variables such as dynamic clouds (which games seem to use a lot). So you could have situations where there's cloud over but the room is still lit like it's clear day. And again, as with the previous method this one requires even more micro managing and wait time to generate all the light data.

So yea we can get results that look as good without ray tracing, but at what cost? Cause the moment something is done on large scale, or something moves...it breaks, and it still requires a lot of time to be spent on making it work. With ray tracing GI you get a one solution fits all implementation, you deploy it and it is global...for all TOD...at all times...for all objects. No need to spend time micromanaging stuff to make it look good under all variables, always a guarantee to work on every object dynamic or static under all lighting conditions, and most importantly....no need to wait for generation of pre computed data, effectively speeding up development. It streamlines the process so much and it's physically accurate to boot. This is why it's the holy grail of computer graphics.

Last edited:

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Certain people don't like others to get excited by next generation consoles for whatever reason...

PS1 to PS2 is a massive ask at this stage though lol.
Because it's often overhyping stuff. Previous two generations have also promised to deliver A LOT more than what they actually did. This gen's consoles in particular came to be less powerful than PCs around the same time.

Edit: plus, if it's a rehash, you can't possibly expect 4k, 60fps+ and RT on triple A graphics because no PC can do that either atm.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
They'll surely push for 8K instead because TWICE 4K, BUY !!!!

Either way, I can't wait for another generation of sub 30FPS consoles.

Nov 30, 2017
I don't know watching that Control video showed huge visual improvements to me and this is very beginning of this tech cycle.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Funny, I do not remember the outright denial of simple progress in the past, let alone progress that has been predestined for nearly 20 years.

What happened between now and, say, Crysis that made so many have such a stronge aversion to obvious technological advances in VG graphics?

I remember so keenly the excitement back then when people heard a game like Crysis would look like it would, and turned out even better than they imagined. Now it seems like a great number of people seem to view it as a scheme, or a ruse, or some sort of gotchya by video game companies?

Like every new tech advancement that's only on PC, it'll be said to be superfluous and not worth it until it lands on console and becomes the greatest thing ever that we cannot live without.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
See this is the problem, you can fake it yes. And you can get excellent even jaw dropping results. Case in point? AC Unity's GI, which imo is as good as any ray traced GI, hell they even managed to fake the look on some dynamic objects using small probes for stuff like character lighting etc. But in the end it did mean the game doesn't have a dynamic TOD and the Devs have to spend a lot of time micromanaging the assets plus wait for the baking process anytime they want to make a change.
IRi0Tud.png

Or how about thr room in UC4? This is equivalent to ray traced GI, but ever wonder why other parts of game don't look like this despite the game not having dynamic TOD? It's because it's a lot of effort and not really feasible for anything other than a small pretty much non interactive environment.
mlmdJyg.jpg

So yea we can get results that look as good without ray tracing, but at what cost? Cause the moment something is done on large scale, or something moves...it breaks, and it still requires a lot of time to be spent on making it work. With ray tracing GI you get a one solution fits all implementation, you deploy it and it is global...for all TOD...at all times...for all objects. No need to spend time micromanaging stuff to make it look good under all variables, always a guarantee to work on every object dynamic or static under all lighting conditions, and most importantly....no need to wait for generation of pre computed data effectively speeding up development. It streamlines the process so much and it's physically accurate to boot. This is why it's the holy grail of computer graphics.

Excellent point that flies over many people's head. They don't get it. "It just works."

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's often overhyping stuff. Previous two generations have also promised to deliver A LOT more than what they actually did. This gen's consoles in particular came to be less powerful than PCs around the same time.

Edit: plus, if it's a rehash, you can't possibly expect 4k, 60fps+ and RT on triple A graphics because no PC can do that either atm.
We already have 4K, 60fps games on One X, next gen systems will be more powerful than that and have hardware accelerated ray tracing.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Unity looks so good. I was playing it yesterday.

For now developers making the game look good on their end will have to do. It will be a while before we're able to easily do it on our machines. I am looking forward to it, if it happens well enough for a small hit in performance, but like the old Xbox One cloud processing planned to do with physics and AI, it's good that developers can do the heavy lifting now to get such awesome visuals on current and future hardware.

Here's hoping to it happening this gen. I'm watching AMD and how theirs turn out, then I'll wait for the second version of their card, and compare to whatever Nvidia have at the time.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
We already have 4K, 60fps games on One X, next gen systems will be more powerful than that and have hardware accelerated ray tracing.
There's barely, if any, triple A looking native 4k 60 fps games on the X. Mostly Forza titles, though they don't require beefy hardware to run very well. It doesn't get close to that performance in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, for instance. Few PCs would be able to do that. Add RT to the equation and with the notorious 50% cut on frame rate that usually entails, then you're surely not checking all the marks.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
There's barely, if any, triple A looking native 4k 60 fps games on the X. Mostly Forza titles, though they don't require beefy hardware to run very well. It doesn't get close to that performance in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, for instance. Few PCs would be able to do that. Add RT to the equation and with the notorious 50% cut on frame rate that usually entails, then you're surely not checking all the marks.
FIFTY PERCENT FRAME RATE CUT!
We still doing this shit?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
IRi0Tud.png

Or how about thr room in UC4? This is equivalent to ray traced GI, but ever wonder why other parts of game don't look like this despite the game not having dynamic TOD? It's because it's a lot of effort and not really feasible for anything other than a small pretty much non interactive environment.
mlmdJyg.jpg

Then there are more dynamic implementations of GI using probes, but hen these probes themselves are pre calculated. So it's more like instead of switching between 4 high quality variables like AC Unity, they dynamically switch between 6-8 variables throughout the day. The limitation here being light has a lot more variation and properties throughout the day than 6-8. And since it's precalculated it doesn't consider variables such as dynamic clouds (which games seem to use a lot). So you could have situations where there's cloud over but the room is still lot like it's clear day. And again, as with the previous method this one requires even more micro managing and wait time to generate all the light data.

So yea we can get results that look as good without ray tracing, but at what cost? Cause the moment something is done on large scale, or something moves...it breaks, and it still requires a lot of time to be spent on making it work. With ray tracing GI you get a one solution fits all implementation, you deploy it and it is global...for all TOD...at all times...for all objects. No need to spend time micromanaging stuff to make it look good under all variables, always a guarantee to work on every object dynamic or static under all lighting conditions, and most importantly....no need to wait for generation of pre computed data effectively speeding up development. It streamlines the process so much and it's physically accurate to boot. This is why it's the holy grail of computer graphics.

Thanks bro.You saved me a lot of typing.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

ts1jrja2.png

ts2w3kpe.png

ts3miksh.png

What do you mean by light quality?
Toy Story 1 was literally just point lights with very basic falloff and maybe a parallel light depending on the scene.
It was that combined with per-pixel shading that we've had since the Geforce 3 and original Xbox in 2001.

A very good artist and a shitload of lights could let you fake a lot, but the tech was Stone Age.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Early examples of games built for rasterization that also add RT support are obviously not going to be the strongest point of comparison.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.
Both consoles being RT ready should be a huge boost, though like I said I don't know to what extent we can really expect it to be used in the upcoming gen.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the posts of "well, other lighting systems are just mathematical approximations of what Ray-tracing would already do!"

Mathematical approximations... aren't really bad?

If you have a mathematical approximation is that 99% as good as 50% the performance then...

I think ray-tracing will be used in future gens, but I just don't see it having any impact this gen.
Ray tracing techniques and surface descriptions we have are all mathematical approximations as well.
Biggest difference with rasterization and ray tracing is that ray tracing gives a nice tool to sample world from any point toward any other. ( Quite bit faster and with lot less problem cases when compared to rasterization.)

We change bag of tricks to another although better bag of tricks.
What do you mean by light quality?
Toy Story 1 was literally just point lights with very basic falloff and maybe a parallel light depending on the scene.
It was that combined with per-pixel shading that we've had since the Geforce 3 and original Xbox in 2001.

A very good artist and a shitload of lights could let you fake a lot, but the tech was Stone Age.
Pretty much.

TS1 is classic case of rasterized rendering in its simplest form.
Point/spot lights, blinn/phong lighting, shadow maps etc.

What makes it different to rasterizers found in GPUs is that its micropolygon rasterizer.
Every surface is tessellated to micropolygons sided about 0.5 pixels, shaded and then rasterized to screen.
This allows very round objects, quite fast AA, DoF and motion blur.

Last edited: