• We have completed a significant site update. Come see what's new!
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Will "regardless" die in our lifetimes?

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
California, U.S.
How is it pronounced, like derrière?

Betwixt this graph (and the fact we are capable of such things) and our to and fro I am having too much fun with this thread lmao!
I guess the problem with the graph is that it's only taking publications into account. And I doubt unironic use of 'irregardless' would make it past editors. How much use does it get in regular conversation? No idea. But I've never heard anyone say it.

Chikor

Oct 26, 2017
is irregardless that common? I have never actually heard it in real life
It's way less common than regardless, but people use it.
Though at least for me, I don't usually notice it in speech unless somebody points it out. The word is instinctively understandable to pretty much all English speakers.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
No words are real - they are all made up, as is their definition. Language moves with the times too, alongside attitudes and whatnot. Which is to say I don't overly care one way or tother. Which is further to say I'm old and can only get older and worrying about the use irregardless and the like are not for me.