• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So I was watching this video from Nerdsync on the use "whelmed' in Young Justice. Having never bothered to look up the word ever, and being the idiot I am, I legitimately thought it was just a neutral state.

So with "irregardless" being so commonly used, I wonder if it will supplant "regardless" in the next 50 - 70 years.

I hope it doesn't, I like "regardless".

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Irregardless is a word soaked in idiocy so... yeah I imagine regardless' days are numbered.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
z9P7EeqV_nLk4QlZn59Chkt6m7A=.gif

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
regardless if it dies or not I will still say it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The use of double negative "for clarity" is bizarre. Double negatives make things more ambiguous, not less. Some redundancies make sense as intensifiers. Irregardless is a grammatical invention that does the exact opposite of "providing a deeper level of power and clarity." When I first heard it I was genuinely confused by it. Regardless, I got over it. Use whichever word you like. I could care less.
The real scourge that nobody's paying attention to are blockheads who say "worse" instead of "worst" and "bias" instead of "biased"
It's past time you should of learned to live with these sorts of things.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing stops the flow of time and English language will evolve and adapt as words fall out of favours, get invented or supplanted.

I mean take the word Gay, it's more commonly associated with to refer a person who is attracted to the same gender than the old mean of "light-hearted and carefree."

Or the fact that words like selfie only recently existed.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you're being very chalant.

Jokes aside, I get a little tired of the language-is-fluid argument. It is true but I find it's usually invoked to excuse laziness or quirks in language. It behooves you to speak accurately. I like a dumb throw-away joke as much as anyone but in the end, if you can convey your thoughts succinctly, everyone wins.

zoggy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The use of double negative "for clarity" is bizarre. Double negatives make things more ambiguous, not less. Some redundancies make sense as intensifiers. Irregardless is a grammatical invention that does the exact opposite of "providing a deeper level of power and clarity." When I first heard it I was genuinely confused by it. Regardless, I got over it. Use whichever word you like. I could care less.

It's past time you should of learned to live with these sorts of things.
reported

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I just listened to an Eminem song where he uses "could care less" and "irregardless" both in the same song. Couldn't even get through the rest of the song.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the word "literally" can become its own antonym, then by god, irregardless will eventually be the correct word.

Also, "could" may also become its own antonym because "I could care less."

I just listened to an Eminem song where he uses "could care less" and "irregardless" both in the same song. Couldn't even get through the rest of the song.
NM. Stealth edit. You got it.

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
Irregardless of what anyone itt thinks, 'I could care less' makes as much sense as 'I couldn't care less,' but that's a mute point.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
No, the real crime are people who keep mixing up 'loose' when they meant to say 'lose'. I see it at least once-a-day and it drives me insane. This isn't like 'effect' versus 'affect' which I would sympathize with since I constantly mix them up. This though, it's not hard people, come on.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I was watching this video from Nerdsync on the use "whelmed' in Young Justice. Having never bothered to look up the word ever, and being the idiot I am, I legitimately thought it was just a neutral state.

So with "irregardless" being so commonly used, I wonder if it will supplant "regardless" in the next 50 - 70 years.

Is there evidence that its usage is growing?
"Irregardless" It's a pretty old ass word and if anything, its of an old-timey style of double negative that has generally fell out favor in English.

Anyway, I seriously doubt that "regardless" is going away any time soon.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

I'm not aware that anybody outside North America says irregardless.

Or thusly.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I saw "comfortness" written today.

I was assuming English wasn't their first language but you never know.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard anyone IRL say irregardless.

I'm getting fucking tired of people who mix up their apostrophes.

"Who's car is it?"
"Its a Lamborghini"
"I heard it's steering wheel feels great"-
"Their is a car on the road"
"Your sure?"

Just fucking kill me.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
So I'd really like, like "our" to be used and pronounced properly. Peoples say "are" like there pirates, even going as far as too spell it wrongly to!

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
I said irregardless in a presentation once and all my team members corrected me afterwards. At first I was like, "is it really such a big deal, you all knew what I meant" But ever since then I've been consious of it and use regardless instead.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
I've never heard irregardless used in my life.
Is it used as a synonym or an antinonym?

Edit: I guess just wrongly.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
even going as far as too spell it wrongly to!

hmmm

i know i know

edit:
but it should be "wrong" instead of "wrongly" since the adverb wrong/wrongly is placed after the verb (as opposed to before it). Making the correction in the spirit of the thread. Don't really care about internet typos. I make them more often than not.

Last edited:

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wondered if Young Justice was making a reference to 10 Things I About You.. the person who uploaded this had the same idea

Note: I did not watch the entrity of that guys video

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm

i know i know

edit:
but it should be "wrong" instead of "wrongly" since the adverb wrong/wrongly is placed after the verb (as opposed to before it). Making the correction in the spirit of the thread. Don't really care about internet typos. I make them more often than not.
All accordingly too plan, my freind ;)