• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
81YncooPYFL.jpg

Runeterra is the setting of all League of Legends games and other media.

So what currently makes up this universe?

Released---
League of Legends (MOBA)
Legends of Runeterra (TCG)
The Ruined King (RPG)
Hextech Mayhem (Rhythm Game)
Arcane (Netflix Show)
Wild Rift (MOBA, Mobile)
Myriad Short Stories, Comics, Cinematics

Unreleased---
Song of Nunu (Adventure Game)
Convergence (Action Platformer)
Project F (Action RPG)
Project L (Fighting Game)
Untitled MMORPG

For a long time the setting was just the MOBA, which itself hasn't been canon to the setting since 2014(?) and even after the setting was mainly made up of short stories, cinematics, comics, and then eventually the Legends of Runeterra card game which has a ton of worldbuilding within it. They announced a lot of these games years ago but now we're starting to see a lot of this stuff release following the critical acclaim of Arcane, the first show set in this universe which just got a second season announcement.

With so much stuff covering such a wide range of genres it's hard to not see this setting just continue to get bigger and bigger. The amount of people I saw who watched Arcane go: "I need MORE of this" was too many to count. And if done well and they build it up enough, then the MMORPG could be absolutely insane in terms of popularity, obviously we can't speak if it will be good but for all the faults of Riot, they do seem to at least let things be worked on for a long long time until they are ready to be released (except League champion balancing I guess lol).

What do you all think? They are clearly trying to do this so I guess the question becomes if this is possible.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
I hope so. I love the world of Runeterra. But goddamn Riot needs to clean up their company culture

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As a whole how many "big" cross-media franchises are there?

Pokemon, Marvel/DC, & Star Wars are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. As a big cross-media franchise to me means something that has a strong and popular footing in multiple formats (Rather than just existing in other formats). Like I wouldn't consider Assassin's Creed a big cross-media franchise even though it technically would be by how you evaluate it.

This has nothing to do with Runeterra, I'm just asking broadly here

Oct 26, 2017
After Arcane and the myriad other Runeterra-based titles that have recently released or will be releasing, I can definitely see the world of Runeterra being that next big cross-media franchise.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. I love the world of Runeterra. But goddamn Riot needs to clean up their company culture

Indeed. I do want this universe to succeed cause I really like it but they do need to fix their company culture and then go the extra mile after.

Pokemon, Marvel/DC, & Star Wars are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. As a big cross-media franchise to me means something that has a strong and popular footing in multiple formats (Rather than just existing in other formats). Like I wouldn't consider Assassin's Creed a big cross-media franchise even though it technically would be by how you evaluate it.

I guess my mind went to those as well. Like I'm not saying it will be as popular as any of those but I do think it will at least be considered.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Runeterra is a rich world, and they did a very smart thing by setting each smaller riot forge game in a different region, since it's all very varied.

what will really tie it all together will be the MMO. I'm sure that's exactly what their hope is.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey

Witcher. Books, TV show, RPG games, and a TCG. First one I can think of.
Halo, too.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Indeed. I do want this universe to succeed cause I really like it but they do need to fix their company culture and then go the extra mile after.

I guess my mind went to those as well. Like I'm not saying it will be as popular as any of those but I do think it will at least be considered.

I should specify I didn't mean "you" as in "The OP" just anyone's personal view lol.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Seems like they're making a really strong push at it. People seem to like the post-MOBA media a lot.

Edit: to add my own perspective, I loathe the MOBA genre but even I'm feeling piqued at the new RPG, Netflix anime, and I think the fighter has a super strong first showing. Gonna be checking out the anime tomorrow. Might even pick up Ruined King in near future.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite setting, I love reading the short stories, watching the media, playing the games.

The MMO will be nuts.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Who knows. Riot is making a lot of media. It's all well received right now.

But look at something like DC, Game of Thrones, or The Walking Dead and you can see how these plans get messy rather quickly.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
I'm kinda jealous that Riot is doing this for the LoL franchise. I have no attachment to it but even I'm kinda intrigued on checking out the new Netflix series. Seems so dang well made. I wish Bungie would fucking get on this cross media thing pronto with Destiny. It's just made for this kinda thing. The lore, the characters, the world building, the shit just writes itself.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
I remember around 2014/2015, i think it was that time they were hiring bioware folks to revamp their lore.
Glad we're finally seeing results.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
But look at something like DC, Game of Thrones, or The Walking Dead and you can see how these plans get messy rather quickly.
Riot, at least, have been keeping an eye on the long term and prioritizing quality over speed. Arcane took six years. Legends of Runeterra took three years and launched as one of the most satisfying card games yet, after they scrapped an early concept instead of rushing to try and compete with Hearthstone (and later Artifact).

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Pains me realize that this is what azeroth and warcraft could have evolved into.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
I didn't know I needed to care because of how disposable it all seemed back when LoL was first taking over the world.

Now though... feel like I need to play catch up.

Kind of a shame it's called "runeterra" though...

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Riot, at least, have been keeping an eye on the long term and prioritizing quality over speed. Arcane took six years. Legends of Runeterra took three years and launched as one of the most satisfying card games yet, after they scrapped an early concept instead of rushing to try and compete with Hearthstone (and later Artifact).

They seem to be handling things with care, but we got to keep in mind this is a commercial campaign by a company that hasn't always exhibited the best judgment.

Things seem to be going well now. Everything looks dope for the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if it all gets super popular. I also wouldn't be surprised if major plans got scrapped after some flops.

Who knows?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Seems to be setting itself up for it, but needs a greater TV and film presence. I might be way off the mark, but I feel like currently it's just reaching the same audience it always has, and isn't really capturing the general and wider public; dare I say it, but a live action adaptation would go a long way. Stuff like Dragon's Blood and Arcane are helping, but still a ways to go - my friends, partner, and even myself are all a bit averse to get our feet wet just because of the game's connotations.

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Runeterra's geography layout and how every zone is so different would fit well in a WoW/FFIV type of MMO.

I'm glad these League characters are finally getting some love. I really need to get around to watching Arcane.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
The MMO could be a huge hit, it just depends on how it works.

It almost has to be console-ready from the getgo, and they already said it will some radical changes compared to regular MMOs.

Runeterra as a whole? They're banking on their characters being recognizable with silhouettes that rival Blizzard's. So far, it's been working gangbusters.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
when i played like 10 years ago i thought the setting was dogshit as were the designs and the lore but i still kept playing because it was fun, maybe they made it palatable but i'm not sure i want to go back to check that out

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be setting itself up for it, but needs a greater TV and film presence. I might be way off the mark, but I feel like currently it's just reaching the same audience it always has, and isn't really capturing the general and wider public; dare I say it, but a live action adaptation would go a long way. Stuff like Dragon's Blood and Arcane are helping, but still a ways to go - my friends, partner, and even myself are all a bit averse to get our feet wet just because of the game's connotations.

Dragon's Blood is a DOTA / Valve thing

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
My only experience with it are Arcane and the Ruined King game. I'm onboard.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
They're going to make it happen whether you want it or not

I give them mad props for digging so deep into this shit, there was a ton of prerequisite work to make this happen so it's cool to finally see it start to get out into the world

I don't really like league much and it's mostly because the characters actively repel me from enjoying it more, but I'm able to recognize it's one of the most appealing parts to many if not most players. They're just not my style whatsoever. But they're perfect for a lot of other games I am sure.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I've honestly been hoping they'd venture out more with their characters for a long time now, too many badass characters in there to count. Glad to see it finally happen.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
If they keep the quality up, it certainly looks like it.

Riot is making a lot of the correct moves right now. If only they'd do right by their employees and punish serial harassers.

njean777

Jan 2, 2020
Alls I know is I saw League toys at Target the other day, and almost bought one to just have (my boy Darius). So I would say they are pushing for it to become much bigger finally after years of just doing the MOBA scene.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
I could write a whole essay about how Riot's current status and the incredible week they had in November was the result of a shitload of time, effort, and money and that it all is due to Riot's insanely high standards for quality, but I'll try to keep it short. As long as everything they release in the future stays at the same quality of the stuff they're doing now, this shit is going to get huge. League of Legends was one thing, but it's just one game and it's fairly ignorable especially for non-gamers. But it's becoming a lot harder to ignore all the incredible stuff they're putting out now, even if you're not interested in playing their MOBA. Honestly at this point I think League might be the worst way to be introduced to the IP now. They've got gold on their hands and they know it, the Riot universe is upon us, Teemo help us all.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These motherfuckers even made Heimerdinger of all characters a rich multi-layered character and he audience can grow to care about.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Kudos to Riot, this is how you grow an IP.
Focusing for years on a single game to make a shitload of money and brand awareness and then re-invest it all in more titles/media for the same property is a move they have done perfectly and I'm sure it is, and will, pay dividends.

(But also fuck Riot for all the company stuff)

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As someone watching from the outside (And preferred Dota 2 over LoL) I want to know why it took Riot so long to turn their uber popular MOBA into the big cross media franchise it is right now. The game has been a hit for over a decade. The characters were popular. the following was always there.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
As someone watching from the outside (And preferred Dota 2 over LoL) I want to know why it took Riot so long to turn their uber popular MOBA into the big cross media franchise it is right now. The game has been a hit for over a decade. The characters were popular. the following was always there.

Basically they didn't want to rush a bunch of stuff out. A lot of these projects have been years in the making.

They actually made a video for why Legends of Runeterra took so long to come out (TL;DR they canned the original version when Hearthstone was announced and they went back to the drawing board so they could do something much better than what they originally were going to do)

Could someone point me in the direction of these stories? I'm not having good luck finding any "Myriad" related to LOL
Thanks.
universe.leagueoflegends.com

Universe of League of Legends

Welcome to Universe, the definitive source for the world of League of Legends.Here you’ll find a vast collection of art and artifacts, like bios chronicling the origins of your favorite champions and landscapes depicting the historic regions they hail from. It’s an evolving, multimedia archive...

Click on characters or regions and scroll down and they will have links to short stories related to them.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017

All the stuff that's been happening this month (and the past couple years overall) are all things that have been in the works for over half a decade. Riot's bar for quality has historically been ludicrously high, which is why they hadn't shipped any games despite trying to do so for almost a decade up until 2019 with their card game. Rumor has it that the success of Fortnite eased up on their standards a bit, but they're still super high and their projects still take way longer to complete than their contemporaries because they usually spend years in the prototyping stage making sure they have a base that they're 1000% happy with before actually starting production. (The previous footage of Project L was evidently from a prototype they opted to not actually go with)

As for the media stuff, League's world is colossal. There's over 155 champs currently in League, which mainly herald from 12 different major regions that all have their own history and lore attached to them. Most the roster is either approaching or is over a decade old at this point, which means that there was a ton of characters and lore that was extremely dated and needed to be updated since in late 2014 they basically relaunched their entire world as previously the lore was that the game League of Legends is canon and it's a battle between summoners who summon champions to fight for them. (And each champ had to have an excuse for why they were fine with this) After 2014 this was completely removed and the game of League now is about as canon as Smash Bros is. A lot of the regions were fleshed out more and a bunch of champions had to have their lore rewritten to make sure that their stories were of a suitable quality and were compatible with the current story. Arcane actually started development not long after this reset happened, so again that kinda goes to show how long of a process the show was to make.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As I said in other thing just give me 3rd person action adventure open world game set in those 2 cities from Arcane and I will be that day 1.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the regions were fleshed out more and a bunch of champions had to have their lore rewritten to make sure that their stories were of a suitable quality and were compatible with the current story.

Interesting. Are there any notable examples of this? I literally know nothing about the lore of LoL.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Are there any notable examples of this? I literally know nothing about the lore of LoL.

I think the most noticeable one at least for me at least for regions is how they changed Demacia and Noxus. Back in the day, Demacia was basically the "good" faction and Noxus was the "evil" one. Noxus was a bunch of warmongers who I think at one point even had stuff like slavery and crap. Demacia were about as cartoonishly good as you could really get. Super honorable, protect the weak, ect. In the current lore, both of them are a lot more grey.

In short, a long time ago there was a big world-spanning war about Magic that almost destroyed everything. Demacia as a region was basically created because there was a type of tree there that suppressed magic which kept them safe. There's some people around Runterra overall that still don't trust magic, but Demacia is especially against it to the point of having prisons where mages are kept locked up for no crime other than being able to use magic. However, this treatment isn't really extended to the ruling class. Demacia is a region where who your parents are matter deeply, and there's quite a few members of the upper class who can use magic but aren't targeted because of their status. Demacia still has a lot of the "good guy" beliefs they had before; they try to protect others who can't protect themselves and are honorable and stuff. Just not if you're a mage lol.

Noxus is still extremely warmongery, but despite that they're probably the most diverse and progressive region in Runeterra. Their current leader Swain outlawed a lot of the more unsavory practices that they used to do like slavery. Additionally, while Noxus does conquer a ton of territory for the peasantry that could end up being a good thing for them. Once conquered, everyone becomes a Noxian citizen and basically has the same right as everyone else. Many of Noxus' most revered war heroes formerly fought against them and rose through the ranks fighting for them. They're also totally cool with just about anyone that can contribute with their grand vision, mages included. Now they're still warmongers who want to take over as much of the world as they can and they still have some questionable practices, but previously I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say they had no redeeming qualities.

As for characters it's really hard to even know where to start start, there's quite a few characters that aside from some keeping their general personality are basically completely new characters. Like Gangplank was a silly pirate guy and Miss Fortune was a stripper in a pirate outfit before. (The story where she was accepted into the League had constant innuendos and euphemisms about how big her breasts are) In the current lore Gangplank was the former leader of the pirate haven Bilgewater before being supposedly killed by Miss Fortune out of revenge for him killing her parents. Now Fortune has been forced into leadership over Bilgewater to keep things stable, and Gangplank is biding his time trying to find a way to get back control of his city no matter the cost. That's just two examples, there's basically dozens of characters that had their lore almost entirely rewritten and many more that had fairly substantial changes to them.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019
Pains me realize that this is what azeroth and warcraft could have evolved into.
Overwatch for me. Blizzard drop the ball on Overwatch and they had a headstart with the insane popularity it got straight out the gate, especially with the animated shorts. Like, Blizzard really ignored all the wishes from fans for character content and lore development during its heyday.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch for me. Blizzard drop the ball on Overwatch and they had a headstart with the insane popularity it got straight out the gate, especially with the animated shorts. Like, Blizzard really ignored all the wishes from fans for character content and lore development during its heyday.

Overwatch is exactly why everybody should be cautious about the Runeterra hype. It had everything going for it, but corporations run dope things into the ground all the time.

May 9, 2019
Overwatch is exactly why everybody should be cautious about the Runeterra hype. It had everything going for it, but corporations run dope things into the ground all the time.
Yeah, this can all go south but so far Runeterra hype has me due to Arcane. I'm gonna try out the other stuff as well (not LoL) but I think Overwatch didn't push the pendulum as much. They never utilized the momentum and just kept pushing out controversial patches to a game that kept losing its fun over time.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I think the difference being is that Overwatch was like a spark that quickly went out. Blizzard wasn't able to sustain it. League of Legends has been a thing since 2009. Rather than blow their load and then never do anything, Riot decided to play the long game. Like Arcane was announced years ago and just came out now. Same with The Ruined King game. They basically created an eco system where they can go at their own pace. People will now wait... but in cases like Overwatch people feel as though their patience isn't mattering.