• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 28, 2018
Can we get some starpower for this, please. I remember when they announced Robbie, Smith, Leto, Davis, Courtney, Delevingne kinda all at once while simultaneously mentioning they had courted Ryan Gosling for Joker. It was crazy how they were willing to go all-in on Suicide Squad, at the time an untested property.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
User Banned (1 month): Rationalizing Racism; History of Similar Infractions; Account in Junior Phase
So if the Ultimate comics didn't intentionally make Fury look like SLJ, but he was cast in the role anyway, it would be a mistake? POC actors are forever at the mercy of a medium that is dominated by a status-quo of straight white men, and any deviation or reinterpretation is false?

Now your putting words in my mouth. You brought up that Sam Jackson was cast as nick fury and some other guy asked about it. So I brought up the fact that he had been black in the comics for prior to Sam Jackson appearing as the character.

And as for what your saying, people being underrepresented in Hollywood or comics as a medium being white dominated is irrelevant to Deadshot being a white guy. When Deadshot was created and rose to prominence there were Black, Asian, etc. characters but Floyd happened to be white. I really don't know what else to tell you other than my preference is to see a classic faithful adaptation of Deadshot on screen (Specifically the John Ostrander version of the character) with all his traits and yes part of that would be for him to be white and sporting a moustache.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me that I need to revisit the movie again, I remember nothing but Will Smith from it. Also Im curious to see Margot Robbies performance as Harley again, it feels like everyone wants to keep her and being the most talked about character/performance from that movie, and I remember nothing special about her at all.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Now your putting words in my mouth. You brought up that Sam Jackson was cast as nick fury and some other guy asked about it. So I brought up the fact that he had been black in the comics for prior to Sam Jackson appearing as the character.

And as for what your saying, people being underrepresented in Hollywood or comics as a medium being white dominated is irrelevant to Deadshot being a white guy. When Deadshot was created and rose to prominence there were Black, Asian, etc. characters but Floyd happened to be white. I really don't know what else to tell you other than my preference is to see a classic faithful adaptation of Deadshot on screen (Specifically the John Ostrander version of the character) with all his traits and yes part of that would be for him to be white and sporting a moustache.
Deadshot's whiteness has little to do with anything. He's white because media still treats white people as the given default, whereas poc characters constantly are forced to justify their inclusion.

Your criticism has nothing to do with Will Smith or his performance. Your criticism with his casting, in your own words, is that he's black. I don't have to put any words into your mouth. You've made your shit argument perfectly clear on your own.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Deadshoot" lolll

I don't know why but it's cracking me up. As for the non-reprisal casting, probably the smartest decision Will Smith has made in the last 10 years.

Ronin1138

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Deadshot's whiteness has little to do with anything. He's white because media still treats white people as the given default, whereas poc characters constantly are forced to justify their inclusion.

Your criticism has nothing to do with Will Smith or his performance. Your criticism with his casting, in your own words, is that he's black. I don't have to put any words into your mouth. You've made your shit argument perfectly clear on your own.

Trust me plenty can be said about his performance. Aside from the obvious, he behaves and acts nothing like the comic version. He just phoned it in and gave his standard Will Smith performance. Seemed like he was more interested in acting along side Margot Robbie (I believe they did a few other films together around the same time) then he was being in the movie.

Oct 25, 2017
There should not be a Suicide Squad without Deadshot.
latest

Can either easily show his absence, or recast him.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Trust me plenty can be said about his performance. Aside from the obvious, he behaves and acts nothing like the comic version. He just phoned it in and gave his standard Will Smith performance. Seemed like he was more interested in acting along side Margot Robbie (I believe they did a few other films together around the same time) then he was being in the movie.
Shame that's not the base of your argument instead of him simply being black.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting annoying. They need to find some actors who are committed and stick to them.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If they recast him i would go with Chiwetel Ejiofor. Although, i wouldn't mind Deathstroke showing up if they decide to just axe the character.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It was reported not long ago that Margot Robbie might be out as well. Was there ever any update to that?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'm almost ashamed to be writing this but I hope they keep Jai Courtney in there as I thought he was one of the best things in the first film.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go shower.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Was Smith supposed to be a selling point for this franchise? I don't think so. Deadshot isn't much of a popular character anyway. It was always the Harley and Joker draw that roped people in on seeing the first one. They're gonna have to come up with something more creative this time around since they can't rely on that angle anymore.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Jai Courtney better return as Captain Boomerang. He was one of the few highlights of the movie.

I'm almost ashamed to be writing this but I hope they keep Jai Courtney in there as I thought he was one of the best things in the first film.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go shower.
Yep, its weird given how he's like a bootleg Sam Worthington in everything else.
Was Smith supposed to be a selling point for this franchise? I don't think so. Deadshot isn't much of a popular character anyway. It was always the Harley and Joker draw that roped people in on seeing the first one. They're gonna have to come up with something more creative this time around since they can't rely on that angle anymore.
Tom Hardy dropped out of the project because rewrites turned it into a Will Smith vehicle supposedly, so yeah.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This reminds me that I need to revisit the movie again, I remember nothing but Will Smith from it. Also Im curious to see Margot Robbies performance as Harley again, it feels like everyone wants to keep her and being the most talked about character/performance from that movie, and I remember nothing special about her at all.

I felt the same. I'm guessing it was more her "look" that garners the praise. There were no great performances in this movie although I did find it entertaining.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This screams of Smith pricing himself out of the gig.

He signed a multi picture deal with WB for multiple Suicide Squad sequels and though he was contracted to return his fee would have increased too. If he wasn't willing to drop his fee, in light of some misfires diminishing his potential to draw an audience, then I get why both parties walked away.

Would it be worth Warners paying big money to Smith, and perhaps a bit of the backend, if his inclusion isn't the big selling point here with Robbie's Harley Quinn, Gunn's new film and the DC brand itself all the big selling points.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
This screams of Smith pricing himself out of the gig.

He signed a multi picture deal with WB for multiple Suicide Squad sequels and though he was contracted to return his fee would have increased too. If he wasn't willing to drop his fee, in light of some misfires diminishing his potential to draw an audience, then I get why both parties walked away.

Would it be worth Warners paying big money to Smith, and perhaps a bit of the backend, if his inclusion isn't the big selling point here with Robbie's Harley Quinn, Gunn's new film and the DC brand itself all the big selling points.

Would he even be available for filming? He's currently filming Bad Boys 3 and then I think he's going straight onto Bright 2 so given that the sequel to Suicide Squad is apparently due to start filming in September I'm not sure he'd have been about to fit it into his schedule. Plus I assume he'll be doing a lot of press tours for Gemini Man in October.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Would he even be available for filming? He's currently filming Bad Boys 3 and then I think he's going straight onto Bright 2 so given that the sequel to Suicide Squad is apparently due to start filming in September I'm not sure he'd have been about to fit it into his schedule. Plus I assume he'll be doing a lot of press tours for Gemini Man in October.

If all parties wanted to make it work they could. Remember when Tom Hardy exited the original Suicide Squad and the studio blamed it other 'commitments' which then turned out to be the press tour for Fury Road, a film that WB themselves made?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
If all parties wanted to make it work they could. Remember when Tom Hardy exited the original Suicide Squad and the studio blamed it other 'commitments' which then turned out to be the press tour for Fury Road, a film that WB themselves made?
I mentioned in another post that wasn't it because The Revenant ran over on filming by quite a few months and literally just finished like the day before shooting of SS started?

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
He was an awful Deadshot. Good of them for only keeping the one character that worked.