• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the DC Milestone Comics relaunch ever happen?

• Nope ( R.I.P Static)

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Yes ( The DC and Milestone relaunch will happen)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Yes (Milestone will relaunch something separate from DC)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (DC ends up owning Milestone and all its characters)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Doesn’t matter won’t be the same without Dwayne McDuffie

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
It's been over 3 years since the Milestone relaunch was first announced and at this point we don't have any idea if it's happening or not.

Here is a quick timeline of events.
  • January 2015: Reggie Hudlin, Denys Cowan, and Derek Dingle announce the return of Milestone under the name Milestone Media 2.0.
  • July 2015: DC announces partnership with Milestone 2.0, relaunching the Dakotaverse under the name Earth M.
  • 2015-2017: We hear nothing about the relaunch, but an occasional it's still happening.
  • May-June 2017: Michael Davis, an original co-founder of Milestone, writes two articles about how he was left out of the reboot and why he thinks Milestone 2.0 is going to fail.
  • August 2017: We learn the reason that the relaunch hasn't happened is a lawsuit between the Dwayne Mcduffie estate and Milestone 2.0. The lawsuit claims Milestone 2.0 hadn't included McDuffie's shares in the new company and that his estate had been excluded from all plans for the relaunch.
  • October 2017: DC and Milestone announce that Earth M will launch in Spring 2018.
  • 2018: Earth M does not launch in Spring. We later hear that it was moved to October and again nothing happens with little information given. The last we heard Bendis wanted to use Static in Young Justice, but was denied permission from Milestone.
I think the most baffling thing in this story was the second announcement from DC when apparently the lawsuit hadn't been settled. Also, as much as I would like to see the return of Milestone characters, it seems really messed up to use Dwayne McDuffie's death as a spring board in announcing the new Milestone while also trying to cut his family out of their share of the company.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a combination of legal issues and starting an imprint takes time.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Because this is comics DC will end up owning everything by the end of this. Which I am cool with as long as we get a Static solo book

OP
OP
lojo

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
Because this is comics DC will end up owning everything by the end of this. Which I am cool with as long as we get a Static solo book

That is what would normally happen, but Milestone seems pretty happy basically being a licensing company. Granted it could be different this time, because of the ongoing lawsuit.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be bad, obviously, but it'll happen eventually. I think DC knows those properties have value. Static alone is worth the effort.

But I want them to get everything sorted out (with fair consideration for all parties) and start pushing out some collected editions of the original runs. I'd pay good money for some nice Icon hardcovers.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think the mcduffie estate is playing hardball, static has potential to be a block buster movie one day and it's gonna be a hard for the family to let that go.

I do hope they just sell it tho, I really want static in things again.

OP
OP
lojo

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
One other thing of note is that the last time DC had a Static book they cancelled it after 8 issues.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know how long I've been waiting!?!?!?

No. It's pretty dead. They don't seem to have any confidence it will sell well based on their self fulfilling prophecy of the failed Static reboot. Also pretty sure there is still a lawsuit in court currently for milestone.