• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With Super Mario Odyssey really showing what Nintendo's best teams are capable of, with all new voice acting and polished graphics, animations and world-building, I am reminded of how the recent Mario Sports titles were completely lacking that Mario spark.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash was Camelot's first high definition game, but the graphics and solid gameplay wouldn't make you think that...however the lack of content did. Every single voice clip and in game art was pulled together from older Mario games, even the announcer spoke with recycled, generic clips from Power Tennis, a game that's a decade and a half old!

Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Olympics had very dubious motion controls and gamepad use, even though the graphics were polished. Rio mostly fixed this but like Ultra Smash, it had far less fantasy content than usual, and they cut corners with the limited "Guest Characters". The game got middling reviews and unlike the other games, did quite poorly on Wii U.

None of them were nearly as cynical as Mario Sports Superstars however. That game was engineered to sell you amiibo cards that were only useful for one game (yep, amiibo figures of the characters are not compatible!), and the game had next to no original animations, art, or content. Golf and Tennis were copy-paste jobs and Football was embarrasing coming off of FIFA and Mario Strikers. Unsuprisingly, the game did poorly at retail.

Now with the Switch being a success, could we see Nintendo finally allocating the time and resources that Mario Sports needs?

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I haven't played a Mario sports game since the first Tennis. I would be down for some new ones on the Switch even if I don't own one yet. I plan on getting one. If they do bring one over I hope they bring back Tennis, but do a better job than the last one that everyone has forgotten about already.

OP
OP
memoryman3

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played a Mario sports game since the first Tennis. I would be down for some new ones on the Switch even if I don't own one yet. I plan on getting one. If they do bring one over I hope they bring back Tennis, but do a better job than the last one that everyone has forgotten about already.

It's clear that the Tennis game and Mario Sports Superstars had incredibly strict deadlines from Nintendo, who thought that anything with the Mario name would sell. Thankfully, that was not the case and people didn't fall for buying those lazy efforts.

I really hope that Nintendo doesn't confuse the poor sales as people not wanting to buy these kinds of games anymore.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I️ wish they would make a Golf game that was hybrid of Toadstool Tour unlock mechanisms with a solid GBA RPG mode. The 3DS version was entertaining but games that just unlock everything as you simply play them are not as fun.

EVAC434

Oct 27, 2017
I would very much like a new Strikers game, loved the GC one. Didn't care much for the newer Sports games

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I hope so. This isn't something I thought I wanted until you brought it up.

Super Mario Strikers for GameCube was so good. Not to mention the consistency of the Tennis and Golf games.

The Switch is still a very young console, but it seems like the ease of multiplayer with by default having at least two controllers with the console has been under utilized and would be a perfect fit for the sports games.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Playing a lot of Mutant Football League makes me want to see a Nintendo Blitz styled game. With teams made up from different games.

Alfman

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see another Mario Strikers on the Switch. There will be some sports games like every gen, but I hope they don't push them all together like on the 3ds with Mario Sports Superstars.

Also Mario Party Top 100 would be the most logical thing on the switch and there is still hope, but this is another topic.

Edit: forgot the don't. I didn't like Sports Superstars at all

Last edited:
OP
OP
memoryman3

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Camelot don't have enough staff for big hd games, next level game its off to greater things

They got the help of Nintendo's internal teams for Mario Golf World Tour, and that game ended up being beautiful and packed with content. I don't see a reason why Nintendo shouldn't help with development again.

I would love to see another Mario Strikers on the Switch. There will be some sports games like every gen, but I hope they push them all together like on the 3ds with Mario Sports Superstars.

Also Mario Party Top 100 would be the most logical thing on the switch and there is still hope, but this is another topic.

Honestly I don't think bundling the sports games together would be a good idea. Mario Sports Superstars had two recycled sports, two abysmal playing sports and one decent sport that lacked depth.

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. I mean, they just released this for the 3DS a few months ago
PS_3DS_MarioSportsSuperstars_UKV.jpg

I think they'll do a collection like that instead of a tennis game and a baseball game and a golf game

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, do i miss the Mario Strikers series, i don't care much about soccer but that was awesome.

Same for Mario Tennis really, if it comes for Switch someday i hope a cool RPG mode is included.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Golf, which is the best one, never went away. There hasn't been a bad Mario Golf game as far as I'm concerned.

Is the WiiU tennis one worth buying for cheap? If I ever find it for cheap, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played one of Nintendo's sports games before, but I truly miss arcade-style sports. Everything is simulation now, and I don't care for them.

I'd think that they would need to make more simply to pad their catalog. I'd love some Mario basketball or baseball. Hell, hockey would be great, too. Could be a great way to justify charging for online as well!

Alfman

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't think bundling the sports games together would be a good idea. Mario Sports Superstars had two recycled sports, two abysmal playing sports and one decent sport that lacked depth.

I meant that and edited my mistake. But yes, lack of depth was the problem I had with this title.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine without having anymore Mario sports games. I just want an honest to goodness great Mario Party game again.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Mario Golf with deep, level system and story mode please, with open world courses like the latest Everybodys Golf on PS4.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just hoping there is a Mario Golf game. I don't have enough quality golf games in my life.

Vargavinter

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved the RPG tennis and golf games on GBC, I wish they made new ones especially for the Switch but I would take it on 3DS if I had. I loved the Golf on GameCube too, never tried the one on 3DS but I plan to get it. Other than that I don't have any interest in any of the other sports titles. Not really a sports game but I would like a remake of Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 without the gimmicky tilt the controller thing they did in the Wii one.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultra Smash and Sports Superstars were both disgraceful efforts. Two of the worst games Nintendo has made in years, and purely for lack of effort.

Mario Golf on 3DS was actually an excellent game, but it launched with a pitiful level of content and then required DLC purchases to get to a level that a good golf game should launch at. I was disgusted at that.

So yeah, they need to bring the sports games to Switch, but they've got to find a way of upping their game. A new Mario Golf with eight 18 hole courses would be perfect.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see why not. The Mario sports games were selling well during the Wii era. The Wii U era should only be sparingly used as a barometer of health. For example it can be discerned that Splatoon 2 was going to sell as well as it has because of how well Splatoon did in spite of the platform it launched on.

But for staple franchises only the best of the best could thrive on the Wii U. Mario sports games aren't in that echelon.

What I'm really curious about is if Nintendo will go all out for Tokyo games 2020. If they are my highest expectations are a crossover of Mario and Sonic with Wii Sports.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Would love a new Mario football game. The GameCube one was great and I still go back to it now and then and do a 14 game league tournament.

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope so.

Make a Mario Golf game like Toadstool Tour complete with lots of unlockables, basic courses and the gimmicky Mario themed courses as well as minigames. I don't necessarily need a story but that'd be nice.

I'd kill for a new Mario Strikers game as well. They can do even crazier stuff and again add in lots of cool Mario elements.

And of course a Mario Tennis game that's more like Power Tennis and generally the same spiel as Mario Golf. Unlockables, basic courts, gimmicky Mario courts and minigames.

The GameCube era was amazing for Mario sport titles. I'd love to see that back with all the new stuff that's been added to the Mario series in general.
Of course at the same time I want both teams that would be involved to make games for other franchises they've worked on (Golden Sun and Punch-Out) but I'm more than happy to take Mario sports titles provided they at least live up to the GameCube titles (or the Wii title in the case of Strikers).

Oct 28, 2017
Bellingham, WA
Gosh, I really hope so. I didn't give a fig for sports when I was a wee lad, but I'm a soccer nut in my middle age. I'd love to play a full-featured Mario soccer game. At any rate, Inazuma's on the way...

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Switch seems prefect for sports games.

On the go, or with friends, or with friends on the go. If Nintendo actually puts even a bit of effort they could make some really great content.
More Strikers please.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Strikers needs to make a comeback, though Nintendo probably won't make it anywhere near as metal as the Gamecube version. Granted that would probably be for the best as it's rather disturbing hearing the bloodcurdling screams of Mario characters as they are thrown into electric fences.

Oct 27, 2017
With Super Mario Odyssey really showing what Nintendo's best teams are capable of, with all new voice acting and polished graphics, animations and world-building, I am reminded of how the recent Mario Sports titles were completely lacking that Mario spark.

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash was Camelot's first high definition game, but the graphics and solid gameplay wouldn't make you think that...however the lack of content did. Every single voice clip and in game art was pulled together from older Mario games, even the announcer spoke with recycled, generic clips from Power Tennis, a game that's a decade and a half old!

Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Olympics had very dubious motion controls and gamepad use, even though the graphics were polished. Rio mostly fixed this but like Ultra Smash, it had far less fantasy content than usual, and they cut corners with the limited "Guest Characters". The game got middling reviews and unlike the other games, did quite poorly on Wii U.

None of them were nearly as cynical as Mario Sports Superstars however. That game was engineered to sell you amiibo cards that were only useful for one game (yep, amiibo figures of the characters are not compatible!), and the game had next to no original animations, art, or content. Golf and Tennis were copy-paste jobs and Football was embarrasing coming off of FIFA and Mario Strikers. Unsuprisingly, the game did poorly at retail.

Now with the Switch being a success, could we see Nintendo finally allocating the time and resources that Mario Sports needs?

The gameplay in Ultra Smash is actually really bad. I wish they actually got that right at least.

Jan 9, 2018
Mario Strikers needs to make a comeback, though Nintendo probably won't make it anywhere near as metal as the Gamecube version. Granted that would probably be for the best as it's rather disturbing hearing the bloodcurdling screams of Mario characters as they are thrown into electric fences.
This. The world needs Strikers. I actually think we should've gotten one this year instead of Tennis to go with the World Cup, but I guess they could release it in 2019 and then the Euro Cup would be like a second wind of sales, idk.

But Aces looks sick. I've never played Mario Tennis games, so I'm excited for this. And I never did finish that GBA Mario Golf game I loved so much, so I'm hoping we can get a great Mario Golf as well.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
After wasting money on the 3DS Mario Tennis game, I'm not giving these guys another chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.