• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
I am wondering if we will be getting any ads on ResetERA. I understand that some users hate ads to the extent that they would rather install ad-blockers to hide them. This infuriated the owner on the "other" forum so much I believe it is/was a bannable offence (I'm not sure how admin would find out, but I digress...).

While I am not exactly a fan of advertisements I don't bother with adblock. It seems my brain automatically hides them for me anyway as usually I don't even notice them. I also understand that maintaining a decent server to run a very busy forum can be quite costly so trying to somehow monetise the forum may be necessary. What's your stance on the subject?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I also like you don't really pay much attention to them and it's a good source of revenue for the site. I'm A ok with ads.

For people it does bother, I don't see an issue with allowing them to pay for ad free. For people it really bothers they're going to use an adblocker otherwise.

Oct 26, 2017
Essex
I am wondering if we will be getting any ads on ResetERA. I understand that some users hate ads to the extent that they would rather install ad-blockers to hide them. This infuriated the owner on the "other" forum so much I believe it is/was a bannable offence (I'm not sure how admin would find out, but I digress...).

While I am not exactly a fan of advertisements I don't bother with adblock. It seems my brain automatically hides them for me anyway as usually I don't even notice them. I also understand that maintaining a decent server to run a very busy forum can be quite costly so trying to somehow monetise the forum may be necessary. What's your stance on the subject?

I seem to recall Neowin allowing you to purchase levels which allowed certain things including the removal of adverts, was only a token amount maybe £10/$10 per year which was fine and good to know it helped with the upkeep of the site/forum at the time.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
I like the way Something Awful does it. Normal banner ads at top and the bottom, or pay money to have them gone forever.

Ever

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who really don't want them are going to use adblock anyway, so whatevs

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the idea of this becoming a "for profit" endeavor (exactly due to what happened at the other site), so I'd personally prefer if they used some sort of crowdfunding with a limited ceiling to pay the running costs of the website.

However, I think there's already a very similar thread in the OT.

SAKY

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I have no problems with ads so long as they are not to intrusive. Coupling that with a cheap ad-free subscription would be cool.

Oct 25, 2017
In what other way can they monetize? Forums are really expensive.. you have thousand of people refreshing pages all the times, and posting things.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm a big fan of the site and all of the hard work that went into it, I'll be happy to add it to my list of exceptions on adblocker.

I never extended this courtesy to other similar forums.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
I did it for years. I was never shown the door.

I think you will get shown the door if you suggest people enable it, or you talk about how you are blocking ads on the site.

They would have to innovate to detect what users are blocking ads, and we know there hasn't been much in the way of innovation in a while.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'd be fine with ads as long as the revenue went back into the site in someone and not just to fund trips around the world for a single person. I'd also be fine with those ads if they weren't obtrusive. I plan on keeping adblock off on this site regardless of whether or not they do add ads.

OP
OP
TheDeep1974

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
Same here, I wouldn't mind unobtrusive ads, and maybe they could even allow members to give a small donation to remove the ads. Money going strictly towards server and other maintenance costs.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with ads since I don't really have the spare income to be a paid member right now. That said, I'd really appreciate more quality control than where we came from. Ads that hijack your browser etc are not ok at all.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
I made a suggestion in the suggestion topic, that even if the admins/mods don't wish to reap earnings off adverts, maybe it could be cool to allow adds anyway, and at the end of the year, use the profits to help out some indie projects. Maybe even have the community choose which project. On the other hand, i have no idea how much revenue adverts would generate.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as long as the ads aren't intrusive, I'm fine with them. No issue with banner ads. It only becomes an issue when you have ads on mobile that redirect to app stores and crap.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I dont mind ads, unless they are the ones that start a video or music.

Also to keep it less intrusive, they could be place on the bottom of the threads.

Oct 25, 2017
I really wouldn't mind if this place moved to a subscription or patronage model at some point once everything has settled and the team are able to assess their future running costs.

Patreon is so common place nowadays for content creators that I wouldn't see any issue in paying for the platform itself, particularly if it would mean that we could avoid intrusive adverts.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Simple image ads is pretty ok to help the site maintain. Not to the kind that pop right into play store. I prefer it in the bottom.

Nirbion

Oct 25, 2017
It might sound weird but...I do hope we get ads. We shouldn't rely on the goodwill from Cerium and the Admin-Staff and having ads on this site might help to get back some of the server-cost.
Of course, I hope for bearable ads with no sound, popups or something that makes the server slower. As long as ads are not annoying or making the ERA-experience worse, I hope the staff considers them.

Another way would be PayPal-Donations or Patreon. Would be neat to give users the option to support Resetera if they want to.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah np with ads imo.

Just please try and not have them be utterly ruinous to the point of nigh unusablity on the mobile side of things.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there are ads, I'd love there to be a donation option that will allow those who find ads offensive to have them removed. For the work that was done here, I'd like to see the admins profit, not just cover their expenses, but I usually Adblock everything in existence. I'm literally allergic to ads. I even got a VPN just so I could use a US IP to pay for YouTube Red. I break out in a rash when I watch network television.

ok, not "literally". :P

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
I think I think it would also be pretty fun to have a resetEra gold option. $25/year or something to that effect. Disables ads, tiny bit of flair next to your name, more inbox space. www.avsforum.com does that and it's pretty nice.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be willing to pay for an ad free experience.

Having said that it doesn't mean railroading people towards paying for their removal through intrusive ads like some other websites do :P

So if they come, provided the implementation is fair and as subtle as possible then I'll pay.

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
I have no problem with ads as long as they're not intrusive. Everything costs money to support and maintain.

cajunator

Oct 25, 2017
Cajunville
I dont mind ads but ad companies, especially tying with Google make some particularly restrictive requests that get kind of ridiculous. Im sure the site could use a solid revenue stream though and its a necessary evil.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been a part of a forum community where the owner didn't want ads.

It died in less than a year. Couldn't pay the bills. Too much growth.

I don't want that to happen here.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont mind ads but ad companies, especially tying with Google make some particularly restrictive requests that get kind of ridiculous. Im sure the site could use a solid revenue stream though and its a necessary evil.
Oh for sure, they're an absolute necessary evil for the lurkers and freeloaders, but it's also absolutely necessary therefore, to have a paid/gold tier with ads removed.

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I think sooner or later a ad will appear, but will not be intrusive.

However, here it is my suggestion: do a Patreon to pay the server. Explain the costs in details and if it reaches the goal for it, make the site ad-free for members at least (visitors can see the ads). I dont know, just a random thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.