• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I have 1000 hours into this & it's by far my most played game ever despite taking suggestions on other games like Spelunky, Flinthook etc. nothing gets it quite like this game; the item variety and moment to moment gameplay have left me spoiled I guess, I keep trying to move on but it makes me feel like I don't even like the genre I just like Isaac which makes me sad.

I'm just stuck waiting for the next one I assume but if anyone has other suggestions please throw them at me.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Dead cells but not even that kept me like Isaac did. That game is a freaking masterpiece.
My best suggestion: get the new Isaac expansion that comes out this year 🙃

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
If you haven't played gungeon yet, it completely superseded Isaac for me
That's didn't grab me at all, the gun variety was lacking and just the variety and gameplay systems in general were not close to as engaging. I did enjoy buying items for future runs though.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Moment to moment gameplay of Isaac doesn't even come close to the likes of Gungeon, Spelunky, Monolith and Dead Cells. All are drastically better games than Isaac.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your Binding of Isaac is my Spelunky. Like, Slay the Spire has recently grabbed my attention in a way that most roguelike games don't. But I'm pretty sure that there will probably never be another Spelunky for me. Like, it's basically "perfect."

(This thread reminds me I do need to give Isaac another shot, as well as Gungeon; need to buy Dead Cells)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I couldn't get into Isaac at all. I just don't enjoy the core gameplay.

I have two friends that both play it religiously though.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
I prefer Monolith. The random elements seem fair and being able to move across rooms quickly and even fast travel to any room you've been to on floor you're currently on also keep things moving quickly. I tried Isaac again recently, but it didn't click for me. But I think I might try again.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
The moment to moment gameplay is far from great in my opinion. It's the game breaking powerup synergies which makes it unique.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Tbh I liked Isaac Rebirth until the Afterbirth DLC. Item pool balance feels worse with all the new tear modifiers and not enough stat changing ones to balance it out and all the new bosses with scaling damage. Scaling damage is no fun and makes great runs feel like crap especially on Delirium. Really hope Repentance fixes all these issues this Summer.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
3046946-gungeonhead.jpg

look deep inside your heart OP, you know this is the answer.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I had a friend that was completely turned off by the narrative of BOI. I love it.

I couldn't get into Gungeon, but I feel like I want to break it like I break Isaac.

Dead Cells is a close second.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I love Isaac but Spelunky is the GOAT and I dread to think of my playtime once it launches on Switch.

I really don't get the fuss with Gungeon at all.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Dead Cells is my favourite. I like that some of your progress carries over to your next run, rather than losing everything. And I just enjoy the core gameplay itself. Controls great.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I agree OP, I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in that game across several platforms. I just wish that they supported PS4 and Xbox One better, as the publisher Nicalis comes off having a very off-putting attitude towards anything that isn't PC or Nintendo Switch. I doubt the next expansion will be released day one, or at all, on my preferred platforms.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yes, it`s going to be released this year and is currently in Early Access:

Hades

Don`t forget to pet the dog.
ThreeHeadedBoy_Short.gif

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Never took that much to Isaac. Hades even in EA is one of my favorite roguelikes outside of that I tend to like a lot of roguelikes that seem to merge with other genres like Into the Breach or Slay the Spire.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
BOI is a top 5 game of all time for me...love it, easily my favorite roguelike.

Still play it religiously on Switch.

Still holding out for a sequel, don't know if we'll get it though.

May 10, 2019
I honestly thought Isaac kinda sucked.

Dead Cells, Tangledeep, Dungeons of Dredmor, Monolith, and Black Future '88 are all fucking pro though.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'll echo others on Slay the Spire. Loved TBoI and it's the only one close to gripping me as hard.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Isaac is one of my favourite games of all time, I agree. Dead Cells is decent. Gungeon the controls feel weird to me for some reason (switch). And I know this is a hot take but Spelunky is good but highly overrated.

There's a new expansion coming out later in the year but I doubt theres going to be a full on sequel

There is hope! :p

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isaac is a game that I don't think I'll ever get over the aesthetic hurdle with. It also seems like power up combinations are a massive part of the game? If so that doesn't sound up my alley.

Gungeon is cool, though, and Monolith cooler still.

I initially was hesitant to bring up Downwell (which I like more than the above) because I don't see it in the same genre, but if Slay the Spire is coming up in this thread then yeah, I'll throw in Downwell and the arcade heavy hitters like Psikyo and Raizing's games (which kinda trounce everything else in this post for me lol).

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I'll try Slay the Spire I heard it gets really restrictive with deck building towards bosses you know you'll have to face late game but maybe I can get some good fun out of it.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
If Spelunky 2 can manage to be an improvement on the original, it's going to be mindbogglingly amazing.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Totally different gameplay, but the same genre, I don't think anything will beat Into The Breach for me.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Gungeon is super vanilla compared to Isaac plus all its expansions. Nothing comes close if you're looking for synergy + item variety.

You can try Bumbo, its a card deck flavored variant of Isaac

Other recommends that people have thrown in

Monolith (similar formula, a bit vanilla but its wonderfully executed - check out the DLC as well)

Hades (again, more vanilla but fun to play, lots of unlocks to go for)

Synthetik (this is military themed, and you have a lot of weapons/items to play with)

Noita (not quite the same but the game gives huge flexbility to fashion wands that can do unpredictable, and often destructive things)

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Not hating on Isaac but pretty much every other roguelike that I've tried has been more enjoyable for me.

Wizard of Legend, Enter The Gungeon, Rogue Legacy, FTL, etc. Whether it was the feel of the combat, the overall aesthetic, or the gameplay style... I'd take any of those over Isaac.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found the gameplay in Isaac really difficult to get into. I hated the feel of the game.