• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Will we ever get another trilogy of games with player choice continuity?

Mass effect is easily one of my favorite game series. And I was so excited to see how similar games would be handled in New generations.

This is also a stealth mass effect trilogy remaster begging thread.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could be wrong, but I think Witcher does this and better too. (imo) Just felt the choices were a lot more heavy and carried over to the next game with consequences both good and bad.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I thought this thread was going to be about a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster. Where is that by the way?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't care less about player choice continuity.

However, I hope we will at some point get another space opera 70's sci-fi techno-optimist technicolor wonder like this franchise.

It is all about the visuals and atmosphere.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Don't care about player choice so fuck the Mass effect series but I do wish we have more trilogies of games

With how far we are into this gen I can't see any new trilogies happening/ is happening

The new god of war could be a trilogy I guess, last of us 3 will happen on ps5 lol

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pray for Cyberpunk to be good
The Witcher 3 handled player choice far better than Mass Effect (especially 3)

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect is a really poor example of reactivity, and especially reactivity across the series. The game presents you with a lot of important choices only for them to ignore them in the following game, or are addressed in the most unsatisfying way possible (New Citadel Council with different clothes, but are essentially the same people, and is avoided as a subject as much as possible).

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
Mass Effect is a really poor example of reactivity, and especially reactivity across the series. The game presents you with a lot of important choices only for them to ignore them in the following game, or are addressed in the most unsatisfying way possible (New Citadel Council with different clothes, but are essentially the same people, and is avoided as a subject as much as possible).

I can't think of a single game series that has reactivity anywhere near Mass Effect. It's not a great example of Choice and Consequence overall, but in terms of multi - game decisions it stands pretty much alone.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that you mentioned, I think EA haven't remasted any games at all. You're probably right, they're focusing on the multiplayer component now. Wouldn't make sense (for them) to remaster/remake those single player games.

Huh, so it's true. I was hoping maybe they did remaster some games and I just missed the news but if they havn't remastered anything by now then they probably won't in the future which is a shame. Mass Effect with ALL the DLC included in one package at 60fps, 1080p, some improved effects would have been amazing.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong, but I think Witcher does this and better too. (imo) Just felt the choices were a lot more heavy and carried over to the next game with consequences both good and bad.
Witcher 3 feels like a separate story to the first two though in a lot of ways, with a lot of emphasis being put on Ciri and Yennifer who weren't in the first two. And for example many of the characters from Witcher 2 just have extended cameos. By comparison Mass Effect trilogy is much more focused on certain characters all the way through like Tali and Garrus.

OP
OP
MAX PAYMENT

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Reactivity is only half the point.
The other is a trilogy of AAA titles.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are, choices really don't carry over much at all between the games

It didn't, they completely ignored Iorveth in TW3.

Witcher 3 feels like a separate story to the first two though in a lot of ways, with a lot of emphasis being put on Ciri and Yennifer who weren't in the first two. And for example many of the characters from Witcher 2 just have extended cameos. By comparison Mass Effect trilogy is much more focused on certain characters all the way through like Tali and Garrus.

Yeah, it's been a minute. I'm actually scratching my head trying to think of another one outside of telltale and episodic titles like Life is Strange for example. But Mass Effect is certainly more "gamey" than they are.

LucasMonclar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Huh, so it's true. I was hoping maybe they did remaster some games and I just missed the news but if they havn't remastered anything by now then they probably won't in the future which is a shame. Mass Effect with ALL the DLC included in one package at 60fps, 1080p, some improved effects would have been amazing.

I agree 100% with you. And I was pretty sure this package would be released before Andromeda, since it got delayed so many times. But what it seems obvious for us, consumers and fans, clearly isn't for EA.

Nerfed Llamas

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Probably not. I want to believe in a world where we will, but honestly I don't think whatever that is will be like Mass Effect, especially in regards to player choices following through to multiple titles for a large shared continuity. There's really nothing else quite like the Mass Effect trilogy. Our best hope in the near future is CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077. Beyond that, I have no clue as to what could even come close to a similar experience.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
The Witcher trilogy does this really well (PC only) due to the ability to import saves. A pretty important section of the game gets locked off depending on what you did at the end of Witcher 2 in Witcher 3 (Letho storyline). The fact that your choices carry over and directly affect your experience is omnipresent in Witcher. You can simulate Witcher 2 saves on consoles, but it's not the same when you actually experience it (similar to how ME2 on PS3 allowed you to simulate a ME1 save). Mass Effect 2 was a great example of a twisty-turny experience thanks to the ability to lose crew members, but Witcher 3 took it to a whole other level by sectioning off chunks of the game. I love it because it reinforces multiple playthroughs and you can have an entirely different experience with the same franchise just by going about your choices differently and have a drastically different ending.

LucasMonclar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Yes, that's true. Though I don't blame CD Projekt Red for chosing a "safe path" of making a third game in the series that would connect with both old fans and new players, since The Witcher series was not as popular as Mass Effect (not even close, I guess).

BioWare/EA, however, already had a very well established series, so they didn't need to worry about making a game that would be a "full experience" for newcommers too.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a single game series that has reactivity anywhere near Mass Effect. It's not a great example of Choice and Consequence overall, but in terms of multi - game decisions it stands pretty much alone.

Narrative reactivity across a series of games isn't that common, sure, but I don't think that excuses it. It was one of the most discussed features of the series, yet those choices often amounted to nothing. The Witcher is the better directly comparable example, although it also handles the extent of its consequences quite safe. What I'd like to see is RPGs with reactivity like Fallout (1) and The Age of Decadence. And while it's far too early to say, considering the sequel isn't out yet, but it looks like Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire may easily the example to follow for across-series reactivity, but we'll have to see.

You do have quite a few examples of RPGs however than handle character transfers, which include maintaining levels, classes, and sometimes items.

Reactivity is only half the point.
The other is a trilogy of AAA titles.

I'll speak for myself, but AAA isn't a selling point. That budget is going largely to production values. If said budget had allowed for significant changes to our actions, then I might be more interested.

OP
OP
MAX PAYMENT

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Narrative reactivity across a series of games isn't that common, sure, but I don't think that excuses it. It was one of the most discussed features of the series, yet those choices often amounted to nothing. The Witcher is the better directly comparable example, although it also handles the extent of its consequences quite safe. What I'd like to see is RPGs with reactivity like Fallout (1) and The Age of Decadence. And while it's far too early to say, considering the sequel isn't out yet, but it looks like Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire may easily the example to follow for across-series reactivity, but we'll have to see.

You do have quite a few examples of RPGs however than handle character transfers, which include maintaining levels, classes, and sometimes items.

I'll speak for myself, but AAA isn't a selling point. That budget is going largely to production values. If said budget had allowed for significant changes to our actions, then I might be more interested.
I have yet to find a series of games that handles choice, reactivity, and continuity between games that does it as well as mass effect. I feel that you're missing the point entirely.

No on is doing these kinds of things any more. I think a lot of people expected these types of games this gen, but we have nothing so far.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
We will 100% get sci-fi trilogies with story decisions in the future. One shift I could see is trying to make those titles more like Destiny, where each title has a storyline but is more built around loot and playing continuously.

The first Mass Effect is the only good one anyway. The gameplay was bad in all of them but that one had the best combination of visuals, music, pace and the like. The story was okay too.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this thread was going to be about a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster. Where is that by the way?

That drives me freaking bananas. EA does ever milking thing in the business but will refuse to do a remaster. WTF.

? Choices you make in ME1 and ME2 can bite you in ME3. (More so ME2 than ME3 to be fair). Not to mention the new Citadel Council thing in ME3 actually has an impact in the attack on the citadel quest in ME3. You can make up for it by visiting the VS in the hospital of course but it's not something the game ignores. (Hell even in ME2 you can't even get your Spectre title back unless you made Anderson Chancellor...that said who the hell other than a masochist made Udina chancellor anyway).

Last edited:

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I kind of hope not. I had two red rings and a switch of platform-of-choice before the entirety of the series was released.

If build quality holds, then maybe, but with mid-gen console refreshes and certain platforms not hosting cloud-saves, I doubt it will ever happen again.