• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will we see Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment again?

• Yes and in near-ish Future (next 3 Years)

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • Yes but not for a long time

Votes: 40 24.4%
  • Never

Votes: 100 61.0%

• Total voters

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
It's great that we are getting sports of all the 'Modern" personas but I'm also very interested in playing persona 2.

There seems to be no good way to do this currently so I really hope these 2 games see a port at some point.

Maybe if p3-5 ports sell well there is some hope?

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I hope so along with Persona 1 as well.

They deserve it! Loved playing 1 and IS

Too bad EP never got localized for PSP.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I think it's more likely we get a full remake, essentially modernizing the first two to the current standards, before this happens lmao

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I honestly only heard good things about the two P2 games and how similar they are to SMT (one of them has an only adult cast, something that I really wish they would do for the main series), so I definitely hope so

That being said, I'd like to try the Digital Devil Saga duology first, I always ask for them in those damn surveys

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I doubt it, honestly. I'd be surprised if we ever even see a PC port. Atlus does not seem interested in these games. A damn shame, because they're both excellent.

Deleted member 117798

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 8, 2022
It would be cool but I don't see Atlus touching the first two games any time soon. It's a real shame as Persona 2 has one of my favourite stories in the franchise.

RandoPercy

Jun 12, 2022
I'd like to believe I have outgrown my "Atlus will remaster/remake P1 and P2 duo" phase.

Atlus I beg you at least localize the PSP port of Eternal Punishment.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's highly dependent on how mainstream Retro Rereleases can get on current consoles - On one hand, we've got the Mega Man Battle Network collection coming, on the other, Square Enix is reticent to release the Pixel Remaster collection on consoles, which there has to be some internal logic behind.

The PSP and 3DS's low expectations bar made them the ripe platforms for PS1-era game re-releases - VS, well, "Blowing up a 240p PSP game to 4K" that P3P is being looked upon as.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Atlus even wants to acknowledge the pre-dating sim Personas these days. That ship has sailed. If it's not about dating waifus they don't care anymore.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool to get the PSP versions someday. I think if Persona 3 sells well enough and proves a PSP port can do well we might see them.

That being said, that would require Atlus to acknowledge that the series didn't start at Persona 3, so maybe not.

RandoPercy

Jun 12, 2022
I don't think Atlus even wants to acknowledge the pre-dating sim Personas these days. That ship has sailed. If it's not about dating waifus they don't care anymore.

It makes me sad man, for atmosphere and soundtracks wise I think P1 is top-notch and P2 duo has the best story in Persona.

P6 will likely follow the same established formula and even though I'll still play it, I would not like it as much as other Megaten titles.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I seem to recall reading online that the modern Persona team doesn't want to touch P1 and P2 out of respect for the original staff not being there anymore. Bit silly I think but I can understand.

If that's the case why doesn't Atlus just port the PSP remakes? Maybe Atlus is worried they will damage the brand because of how different they are. Before you say I know that sounds silly but publishers have made decisions before for silly reasons.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised either way tbh. Wouldn't expect anything more than a straight port of the PSP releases though.

Also they have more than enough Waifus. Bad timeline is a full remake where they become social sims and you romance all female characters.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I really really hope so, especially since they keep acknowledging them in dlc costumes and the like so they know (some) people care.

I loved the first one on the psp, but kept holding out hope for the translation of the psp version of eternal punishment so I'd love an excuse to finally finish the duology.

Maybe the crisis core remaster will finally show them its worthwhile doing stuff with psp games again.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm hoping that 3-5 getting ported basically everywhere will renew an interest in the series and its history. Persona 1 and 2 are very different beasts than 3-5, however; even today, it's hard to gauge how a port/remaster/remake/etc. of them would do.

Never say never, though...

Jul 1, 2020
They should at the very least make them available on PS Plus Premium as PSP games since all 3 of the old Persona games were remade for PSP.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Only if they remake then and structure them more like Persona 3-5. Otherwise they'll continue to rot in "there are Persona games before 3" meme tier for most people.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I will sass any company for not AT LEAST [officially] putting up their games on PC.

I do think Persona 1+2 need...work. But I really hate having this divide between [P1 P2] and [P3 P4 P5]. :/
Square Enix has remade the same first few shitty FF games (half joking) a bunch of times, but Atlus works so slowly.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean never say never, but I wouldn't expect it to happen for a good while honestly.

I don't think it's totally impossible but I wouldn't expect it any time soon. I have a feeling that Persona 1 and 2 are probably pretty low on the list of games for Atlus to port/remaster for right now

StayPuft

Banned
Jun 7, 2022
Doesn't it always just feel like we're fighting for games from various franchises to be brought foward into modernity? It feels like a never ending struggle. I wish for a world where game preservation and backwards compatability was handled better.

I can't see Atlus bringing these games to new systems. The audience for those titles is too niche and just look how long it took to get P4 and P3 back. Atlus is a team that historically makes very odd decisions. I feel like they don't have a clear understanding of how popular their titles have become in the west. They seem to constantly be playing catch up.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope so. More people need to experience the best games in the franchise, especially the singular best game, Eternal Punishment. I'm not really banking on it happening soon, but maybe it could one day with more demand. It's clear that P3/4/5 took priority because those were going to be more profitable, but I think they could garner enough interest for P2 to make a profit off of it, just not lighting sales charts on fire.

I always have to wonder what things would be like today if that PSP port of Eternal Punishment was localized.

RandoPercy

Jun 12, 2022
God I hope so. More people need to experience the best games in the franchise, especially the singular best game, Eternal Punishment. I'm not really banking on it happening soon, but maybe it could one day with more demand. It's clear that P3/4/5 took priority because those were going to be more profitable, but I think they could garner enough interest for P2 to make a profit off of it, just not lighting sales charts on fire.

I always have to wonder what things would be like today if that PSP port of Eternal Punishment was localized.
Honestly, I don't think it would be that different. The fandom would still beckon for ports and remasters or remakes.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
Did Eternal Punishment come out as a PS1 classic on PS3/Vita? I have it listed in my spreadsheet, but don't ever remember playing it that way! Not at home right now to check...

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't even bother translating the PSP port for Eternal Punishment so I highly doubt it.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
People wanting this need to stop acting like P1 and P2 haven't aged like dog water

They would need serious gameplay updates to be palatable today

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably the only Persona product I would buy in 2022 and beyond. So I hope so.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Atlus don't care about the games before 3 and to be quite frank most fans of modern Persona won't accept how different they are.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I think so, but not for a long while.

I can see Sega wanting to bring them to current gen consoles and PC but the awkward situation with Eternal Punishment on PSP never getting localized means that they would either have a collection consisting of a remaster of the PS1 version, which might also annoy the jpn fanbase who got the psp remake, or spend the money on a new localization based on the PSP version.

In any case, right now, Atlus's focus seems to be on remastering more recent games (PS2 and later). They might make a special exception for the original persona games, though like I said, that comes with extra complications.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
we couldnt even get person 2 eternal punishment psp localized
I wonder what the reason for what this was. There's always been various rumors. A few I've heard that I can think of off the top of my head:

- Vita was right around the corner, and the market for the game was very low and it was just not financially viable (simplest and most likely unfortunately)
- Sony of America being weirdly restrictive
- Some actual strings that they were unable to translate due to software limitations (I take this one with a grain of salt)

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the reason for what this was. There's always been various rumors. A few I've heard that I can think of off the top of my head:

- Vita was right around the corner, and the market for the game was very low and it was just not financially viable (simplest and most likely unfortunately)
- Some actual strings that they were unable to translate due to software limitations (I take this one with a grain of salt)
i remember psp piracy being really bad too

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

To throw some other theories I heard around the time into the mix:
  • The whole Atlus/Index Media corporate transition was happening around this time and that might've had something to do with it?
  • they lost the code lol (this one I find hard to believe because it's not like the Japanese version was that old and they had to have known localizing it was a possibility after Innocent Sin)
I feel like I heard at one point that it WASN'T a financial decision, but I can't remember where anymore so that's not really worth much to the discussion.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
People wanting this need to stop acting like P1 and P2 haven't aged like dog water

They would need serious gameplay updates to be palatable today
Persona 2 has aged really well. The only reason Innocent Sin hasn't aged as well is because of how stupidly easy it was and how overcomplicated it's negotiation can be. Eternal Punishment's combat flow, difficulty, and negotiation are perfect.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017

Well, it was a bad market for a new PSP localization at the time. By 2012 the Vita was already released and it ended up being bad timing for a western localization release. Then they just decided to release the PS1 version on PSN in 2013.