• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will We Get Team Fortress 3 In The Next 5 Years?

• yes

Votes: 24 3.0%
  • no

Votes: 778 97.0%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2021
I loved TF2 so much...Nothing scratches that itch for me anymore. I admit I haven't played Overwatch, but....I want TF3.

Do you think we'll get Team Fortress 3 in the next 5 years?

I think not.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
If you want to believe how Valve supposedly operates (freedom to work on whatever project you want), you'd need enough people who even want to make TF3. And there doesn't really seem to be anyone championing it

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Only if Valve outsourced it to someone else. Based on the way they normally work, and the current treatment of TF2, I doubt theres much interest internally. Though I'd love to see it.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
nah

28d.gif

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Valve can't even be bothered to fix the bot issue that has been plaguing matchmaking for years.
They are past giving a fuck about Team Fortress.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Not gonna lie, I let out a chuckle seeing the poll results. Whoever the 2 people who said yes are, they're the most hopeful people on Era.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
The Team Fortress dev team is in the low single digits iirc, so I doubt they're doing anything beyond the current "add community made cosmetics every couple months, patch exploits a couple times a year" schedule

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Yes , Overwatch never really came close enough to TF2, the gameplay, humor, lore and and just sheer amounts of fun playing TF2 set the bar way to high.
Valve is not interested in making these type games anymore.
:(

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I wish

I would love for Team Fortress 2 Classic too, doesn't have to be a brand new TF3. They could make a remake of the original TF2 with new maps/weapons and quality of life updates, modernizing the games

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Nope, not happening. Couldn't even finish the updates they were working on (RIP Robot Destruction)

Hopefully Valve end up adopting that Source 2 port. Would breathe new life into the game.

cableboy

Jul 15, 2019
I wish

I would love for Team Fortress 2 Classic too, doesn't have to be a brand new TF3. They could make a remake of the original TF2 with new maps/weapons and quality of life updates, modernizing the games
There's actually a mod called TF2C that aims to recreate the 2009 era of the game and adds in some cut content. It's fun and has a decent player base but I wish Valve would pick it up or promote it in some official capacity. The only thing holding it back is more polish and a larger playercount.
I have no idea what the current state of vanilla TF2 is but I would imagine that the people who still play it in 2021 wouldn't want Valve to make a TF3. Seems kind of like the people who were still playing CS 1.6 after CS:GO released, they like what they like.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TF2 is still one of the best playing shooters and it's a damn shame we have no modern equivalent. It'll pretty much never happen though.

Yes , Overwatch never really came close enough to TF2, the gameplay, humor, lore and and just sheer amounts of fun playing TF2 set the bar way to high.
Valve is not interested in making these type games anymore.
:(

I'll second this. TF2 was campy, over-the-top humor while Overwatch's dialogue is cringe incarnate lol. I definitely shifted over to OW in terms of gameplay time and just overall dedication, but recently have just fallen back into TF2 instead and am having a blast.

Oct 28, 2017
To me the most interesting upcoming game release as far as the business side of things is Overwatch 2.

If it doesn't do well the genre might suffer.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
What is this thread supposed to be? Grasping onto the last straws of hope? Cast yourself into the darkness