• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
After recently surveying the planet 100% and posting my RTTP, my stance remains the same as I mentioned earlier. We'll eventually get a thematic and design sequel that builds on what worked, but narratively there will be few direct connections.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I knew people would start port-begging. As much as I want it, that's not the purpose of this thread! Lol

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I was originally going to make a new thread, but then I realized I already made this thread. Sorry for the bump!

Now that most people had time to digest Torna ~ The Golden Country, it's time to start thinking about the future.

In October 2017, Monolith Soft posted a recruitment update for a new RPG project by the Xenoblade team (headed by Takahashi). Assuming this is yet another entry in the Xenoblade series, do you think this upcoming project will be Xenoblade Chronicles X2?

First of all, we got some additional minor lore details via Elma in her recent appearance in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. She was also among the last of two DLC Blades to be released for the game. Could her appearance indicate that Monolith Soft are still interested in making a sequel?

Next, here's an excerpt from US Gamer's interview with Takahashi regarding the future of the series:

Do note that the above interview actually predates the announcement of their new RPG project. If they decide to go with the third option, could it still be a continuation to X, just in a different format (not completely open-world, more story focus, etc.)

If the third option is something else entirely unrelated to Xenoblade Chronicles X, could we even expect to see a direct sequel down the line?

What are your thoughts, Era?

giphy.gif
I don't think elma in XC2 means sequel plans than another game with Shulk in it. I think it's just fan service. After playing Takahashi's games I'm expecting "third option but jk its actually directly related to a previous game." I could see it being an X followup or a 2 followup. How do we think the engine used for the switch game would hold up in a full open world exploration focused game like X was? It seemed to struggle in a lot of the more detailed and populated areas, so I'm not sure it would do so well in an X style game.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
A sequel sure, a Switch port of X forget it, I guess it's more likely that they'd remaster the first game if anything.

I knew people would start port-begging. As much as I want it, that's not the purpose of this thread! Lol

And people keep forgetting this.

X Marks the Spot: Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch?
As the sun set on our conversation, I ask Takahashi a question that's admittedly predictable, but burns my soul nevertheless: "Is there a chance we'll see a port of the Wii U's Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch?" Like many excellent games on the failed console, Xenoblade Chronicles X faded into relative obscurity and is deserving of new life on the Switch.

"Well, the future at present is unclear," Takahashi says, which is the same answer I received when I ask about the possibility of a Xenoblade Chronicles 3. "Personally speaking, I'd love to play the game on the Switch, but it would be really difficult to make it."
When it comes to roadblocks that stand in the way of Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Switch, Takahashi's answer is simple.
"Money," he laughs. "It's a massive game. Re-creating it would be really difficult."

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
After recently surveying the planet 100% and posting my RTTP, my stance remains the same as I mentioned earlier. We'll eventually get a thematic and design sequel that builds on what worked, but narratively there will be few direct connections.

I think we will! Via Takahashi's last comment, he really wants to hire more map designers, even saying that the story isn't nowhere as important as the level design. It's clear that with XC2, Takahashi prioritized the story over the level design.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've never played a game with a world like Mira in Xenoblade Chronicles X.

It was mindblowing back then, and honestly, it still is.

I just want to explore that world again.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think we'll get a direct story sequel eventually. I'm not sure why so many people think we won't.

XCX didn't have an "open to interpretation" ending, it was a blatant EPISODE I/TO BE CONTINUED one. The art book was the perfect chance to explain or follow up the ending or the many other plot points that don't go anywhere yet, but it didn't. And 3 years later we have ZERO supplementary material about X to patch things up.

- Xenogears had a massive book dedicated to explaining all it could about the games story, plenty of stuff that doesn't even get mentioned in the game.

- Xenosaga had a cell phone game and a visual novel to fill in major gaps of it's story.

- Xenoblade Chronicles has an entire short story in it's art book dedicated to explaining something that happens in the ending of the game that never gets mentioned because they couldn't fit it in.

- Xenoblade Chronicles X has 2 short stories that take place just before the game starts, but we got these before the game came out and they do nothing to explain anything about Mira itself, what goes on in the game, or the ending.

- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has massively important back story lore on the box of the Siren figure.....and we'll probably get more once the art book comes out.

So why doesn't XCX get anything? Seems like they must have plans for some kind of story sequel to me.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Y
I think we'll get a direct story sequel eventually. I'm not sure why so many people think we won't.

XCX didn't have an "open to interpretation" ending, it was a blatant EPISODE I/TO BE CONTINUED one. The art book was the perfect chance to explain or follow up the ending or the many other plot points that don't go anywhere yet, but it didn't. And 3 years later we have ZERO supplementary material about X to patch things up.

- Xenogears had a massive book dedicated to explaining all it could about the games story, plenty of stuff that doesn't even get mentioned in the game.

- Xenosaga had a cell phone game and a visual novel to fill in major gaps of it's story.

- Xenoblade Chronicles has an entire short story in it's art book dedicated to explaining something that happens in the ending of the game that never gets mentioned because they couldn't fit it in.

- Xenoblade Chronicles X has 2 short stories that take place just before the game starts, but we got these before the game came out and they do nothing to explain anything about Mira itself, what goes on in the game, or the ending.

- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has massively important back story lore on the box of the Siren figure.....and we'll probably get more once the art book comes out.

So why doesn't XCX get anything? Seems like they must have plans for some kind of story sequel to me.

Wait!? There's an art book coming out?

I agree with your overall point. They teased us yet again with Elma traveling across Alrest. They wouldn't tease us again after a few years of leaving us to hang.

Nov 17, 2017
If they think a remaster is expensive, try to imagine what they think of making another one..
I think that has more to do with all the necessary changes you need to do to get it from the Wii U to the Switch. I think a port/remaster would have a different budget than a brand new game.

I don't think Xenoblade X cost considerably more to make than 2. I'm pretty sure they took the budget that usually went to level design and used it for cutscenes. There's an old quote somewhere with Takahashi talking about that, I believe.

Edit: I think we will get an X port eventually. Maybe it's not right around the corner but I think people are quick to assume that based on Takahashi's comments, they will never port the game because it's too much money to do so.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Y

Wait!? There's an art book coming out?

I agree with your overall point. They teased us yet again with Elma traveling across Alrest. They wouldn't tease us again after a few years of leaving us to hang.

They haven't announced it yet, but you know they will. Probably sometime this year. Every single Xeno game gets an art book.

And yeah, they haven't forgotten XCX. Elma in XC2 yet again mentions her mysterious partner, but we never get any more info on him.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
If they as much as announce Xenoblade X2, i will get a Switch on the spot.

After almost 300h in XCX, I miss Mira and i'm not done with it yet, XCX is phenomenal.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Likely the next Xenoblade will be a straight sequel to X or something similar.

- Takahashi wants to focus on level design with the new game.

- He tends to get bored quickly by things, that's why every new Monolith Soft game is different from the predecessors (while still keeping elements in common)

I'm more worried on X port since it seems a lot of work and they aren't sure it would sell enough, but personally i hope for both.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of those games trapped by the Wii U and it had no chance to sell since it came out late in the life-cycle.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I was just saying how Anthem reminds me of XCX

The world-design looks a LOT inspired by Xenoblade Chronicles X (maybe not with the same verticality), and i'd also come out and say that as an open world game Xenoblade is probably better than Anthem: at E3 they did announce some odd limitation when exploring with the mechs.

Mechs in Xenoblade X blow Anthem's mechs out of the water easily.

Apart from that it's a different game.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I would like a sequel to X, but I wouldn't touch a Switch port of the game. There were a lot of good concepts in X, that if expanded and touched up would make for a great sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
It better.

Just retcon everything that happened in the first one story and character-wise. Some of the worst shit I've ever seen in a JRPG. So fucking stupid.

But gameplay wise? Probably the best JRPG ever made. Everything is incredible. But that story and cast REALLY bring down the experience.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Yes. Finishing XCX felt like finishing Mass Effect 1. Main conflict was resolved but there's clearly more to come.

Koh Kojima wants to do it and Xenoblade 2 selling over 1 million should convince Nintendo greenlight it.

The sequel would have a really good starting point considering all the lore and world-building that they established with the first one.

Bring back Sawano. He's doing OSTs for new seasons/sequels of many shows he has been involved with, why not XCX2? But give him some direction this time.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
It better.

Just retcon everything that happened in the first one story and character-wise. Some of the worst shit I've ever seen in a JRPG. So fucking stupid.

But gameplay wise? Probably the best JRPG ever made. Everything is incredible. But that story and cast REALLY bring down the experience.
Wha? While the presentation of the story was bad, I think the plot itself was pretty cool, I didn't even really mind the characters either. And XBC2 combat was much much better (although all other "gameplay" elements were worse).

Nov 1, 2017
Not a direct one, no. The story elements in X are just the cobbled-together pieces of something that got scrapped during development. It'd be better if they just do something totally different for the next Xenoblade, without the baggage of a Wii U game lol.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The ending to X is not a cliffhanger. It is a "sci fi ending" or a GAINAX ending addendum they added to be weird.

But basically to me it means that this story has nothing left to show the audience only that because they're colonizing the journey will go on and on beyond the time we got to see it.

I would however happily take a sequel, regardless, but I wouldn't expect it to be about the same characters.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I think we may get a sequel, but Takahashi was quite clear on dashing all posible hopes of a port.
It's understandable. Frontier Nav did rely a lot on the Gamepad implementation, and the engine/code they used probably isn't easy to port outside the Wii U.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Probably will get one, but only after their next two games (unless they go straight to it after the ARPG, but that'll probably be a different Xenogame.) I know they have a reputation for working fast, but it still won't be for a while

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
think we'll get a direct story sequel eventually. I'm not sure why so many people think we won't

Because as of now the game is still stuck on Wii u and until such a time as it gets ported to switch (the only word of which we have heard it's them denying that such a port is currently planned), creating a narrative sequel to a game on a dead console that nobody played is a stupid waste of resources that will never get greenlit.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Monolith Software is brutal for leaving stories left with unanswered questions.

Xenogears - unanswered questions, esp if you read perfect works.
Xenosaga Episode 3 - 2-3 episodes less then expected and still left it open. Was supposed to be PW story but had to change up to keep it down to 3 episodes.

Well, actually, Xenosaga 1-3 only covered what was supposed to only take 2 episodes. So if they continued at that pace it would have taken 6 episodes to complete.

The original plan was:
Episode 1 and 2: Xenosaga
Episode 3 and 4: Remake of Xenogears
Episode 5 and 6: After Xenogears

Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are essentially linked, but we would be getting into spoiler territory on how they're linked.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is technically the second Xenoblade title (while 2 is the third and latest title), but it has very loose connections to XC and I guess XC2. XCX shares many elements of the numbered series, but it has a different story structure and a true open-world design.

I hope that clears it up for you. :)
It's more like there are 4 Xeno universes that share themes and story beats:
Xenogears
Xenosaga
Xenoblade 1 and 2
Xenoblade X

The Xenoblade games are all like reimaginings of Xenogears and Xenosaga, taking the same concepts and story beats but changing them to have only a tangential relationship.

Like all of the games involve the Earth getting destroyed. All of them involve the lead female being artificial to some degree and having multiple personalities/identities. Zohar.

It's really hard to say much about X because it's more like a prologue than an actual story, where as 1 and 2 each get as much done with their stories as Xenogears by itself and Xenosaga 1, 2, and 3 combined.

If they ever do make an X2, I would want it to be more narrative-focused like the other Xeno games. The main character should be Elma's co-pilot, who was originally going to be the protagonist of X before they decided to go the create-a-character pseudo MMO route. He's only mentioned in passing in X. Have the main hub be the other colony that crashed on Mira, New Tokyo, on another landmass.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
The ending to X is not a cliffhanger. It is a "sci fi ending" or a GAINAX ending addendum they added to be weird.

But basically to me it means that this story has nothing left to show the audience only that because they're colonizing the journey will go on and on beyond the time we got to see it.

I would however happily take a sequel, regardless, but I wouldn't expect it to be about the same characters.

It's not only about the ending. There is still a ton of stuff that was left unanswered, including the stuff that happened before the events of the game.

If someone is going to interview Takahashi on XCX, I hope they ask him about the ending, like how are we supposed interpret the message of the ending? He might give a vague answer like he did for XC2, but his answer might give XCX fans some form of closure at least.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
They better.

XCX ending with "Mira did it" would be super annoying. And TBH, a fine tuned XCX could easily be my favorite game ever. XCX wasn't, but the potential is there. An area as fun as Mira, with sidequests as fun, but with an actually decent main story and more work on characters would be godlike
A mix between the first game and X plus better side quests would pretty much be perfect.
But I fear we will get more games in the vein of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because that was the most successful game of them all. Shame, really.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
If they ever do make an X2, I would want it to be more narrative-focused like the other Xeno games. The main character should be Elma's co-pilot, who was originally going to be the protagonist of X before they decided to go the create-a-character pseudo MMO route. He's only mentioned in passing in X. Have the main hub be the other colony that crashed on Mira, New Tokyo, on another landmass.

I would agree that he'd be a great protagonist, though Elma herself would work as well. It would be very interesting to also bring back the protagonist from X and have X play a role as
(possibly) the only Human to awaken after the lifehold was destroyed

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
A mix between the first game and X plus better side quests would pretty much be perfect.
But I fear we will get more games in the vein of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because that was the most successful game of them all. Shame, really.
Well, XC2 was an improvement over XC1 in pretty much every way. More coherent narrative, better characters, more fleshed-out world, better gameplay, better music.
I would agree that he'd be a great protagonist, though Elma herself would work as well. It would be very interesting to also bring back the protagonist from X and have X play a role as
(possibly) the only Human to awaken after the lifehold was destroyed
The thoughts with Cross are that he/she is being controlled by Mira and isn't actually human.

There are also loose threads to address like L being Lucifer.