• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
latest

The quote above is from the Japanese version. The English version goes like this: "This story never truly ends..."
As most of you know by now, Xenoblade Chronicles X ended on a cliffhanger. Many of its plot points were left unresolved and the universe the game takes place in is practically begging to be further explored. With the recent release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the supposed brand-new IP by Monolith Soft, the future of the X series is now in limbo. It's clear by now that there will be more Xenoblade titles in the future. However, the question is...will we ever get a sequel to X?

As for the future, Monolith is already planning. "Moving forward, if we do another story-driven Xenoblade game, I was thinking I'd like to keep the numbering going," Takahashi says. "Now that we've gone through the process of development, we're in a spot now where I'm beginning to think about what we want to do next," Kojima adds. "We'll really be keeping our ears to the ground to see what fans are wanting, what they're looking forward to. We've enjoyed this collaboration with Nintendo so far. We really are thinking about where to go next, and that's where I'm at right now."
Game Informer

Please note the underlined statement. This doesn't rule out a sequel to X as it's not a story-driven experience. But given Xenoblade 2's popularity and success, they may decide to continue the numbered series. Honestly, it could go either way. I found Kojima's comment to be particularly interesting because I have seen hundreds if not, thousands of requests for a sequel to X. They're definitely going to take these requests into consideration for whatever they decide to do.

Tetsuya Takahashi: "I tend to get bored with things pretty easily, so I'd like to keep creating things with different approaches every time," says Takahashi. "Along those lines, I'd definitely like my next project to look and feel pretty different from this one. The 'Xeno' name, by the way, really just exists to make it clear that these are Tetsuya Takahashi productions."
TIME

Emphasis on the bolded, the rest is old news. If his statement still rings true, then it is likely that the next Xenoblade title will move away from the approach taken for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. If Takahashi has a similar desire to make a new Xenoblade title that "looks and feels different" from Xenoblade 2, then could mean a sequel to X is possible, however, the underlined statement is ambiguous and thus could be interpreted differently. Takahashi may decide to follow a similar format to X (think open-world and mission-based story structure), but with limited connections to the game much like the whole Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 universe. At the same time, I wouldn't completely rule out the idea of a direct sequel to X. It's just not looking very likely, which leads me to my next point.

Xenoblade Chronicles studio Monolith Soft is hiring designers, programmers, planners, and management support with experience in action game development for "an ambitious project different from the brand image of Monolith Soft."
Gematsu

Keep in mind that Monolith Soft is a medium-sized studio, they currently do not have the manpower to create two ambitious titles concurrently. Now that the studio is working on an ambitious project, it is very likely we will have to wait a long time (five years at the minimum?) before the next Xenoblade title. The time gap between the release of X and a hypothetical direct sequel does not look favorable. Will Monolith Soft even want to make a direct continuation to X after so many years? Then again, we could be getting a similar situation to what happened with the numbered series--same universe, different cast and setting.

Tetsuya Takahashi, Monolith Soft President: "Personally speaking, there are times I feel like playing Xenoblade Chronicles X and think about how nice it would be to play it on the Nintendo Switch. Of course that will depend on demand and such, but I will think about it while discussing future plans with Nintendo.
Siliconera

This is kinda irrelevant to the topic at hand, but I feel that this statement neither proves or disproves the possibility of a sequel. Just felt like including this as it could lead to some interesting discussions.

What are your thoughts?

PS
This is me when a sequel to X is revealed.

rs_480x270-180121191054-giphy.gif

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Monolith Software is brutal for leaving stories left with unanswered questions.

Xenogears - unanswered questions, esp if you read perfect works.
Xenosaga Episode 3 - 2-3 episodes less then expected and still left it open. Was supposed to be PW story but had to change up to keep it down to 3 episodes.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they port it to switch with some extra content which fully explains Mira.

Or they release a full fledged sequel.

Either way it was almost cruel to end it like that.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. It's not that great, but if they can make it into a Destiny-like, it could be cool.
I guess that's what Anthem is going for

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I really want this game on the Switch. Seems perfect for the handheld mode.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll get a sequel, but only in the design and philosophy department, not narrative. Not sure why, but it feels like a lot of the questions left unanswered weren't meant to be directly answered in a normal sequel. I certainly want a sequel that builds on its design and themes. I'd be cool with a narrative continuation or a completely new story and cast.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the world of Mira in xenoblade X but I didn't really like the characters and so I'm okay if they never go back to finish the story set in X. BUT I would love a new Xenoblade game with the approach Xenoblade Chronicles X took, open world mecha beautiful landscape and amazing traversal. But this time more focus on story and new characters please

Elma was boring :p

Oct 27, 2017
I think with all the talk the folks at Monolith Soft were doing with a Xenoblade Chronicles X port, I can see that happening while simultaneous adding in new features to make the online more functional. If that's successful, I can see them working on a sequel to X. Heck, I'm surprised we got a port of Tropical Freeze before we did this given how many times they've hinted at it over the past year.

It's still RIDICULOUS how fast they were able to get Xenoblade 2 out, even more so when you consider that some of what was added into 2 was based off negative fan feedback from not X's release, but just the trailer for the game alone. And even in this time frame, they made yet another amazing game.

I do think we need a sequel to X, it had a really interesting story premise and it could be cool to see the Xenoblade games be these sub-series that have similar gameplay but follow different storylines. It's even more important we get a sequel because, like you said, Xenoblade X had a lot of plotholes/missing information that needed to get filled in. I mean, when the ending and credits came up in that game, I was so confused because the entire lead up to it felt so anti-climactic.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person who's peeved that no one has asked Takahashi what he intends to do with the X series? How nobody asked him after that huge cliffhanger is beyond me.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
Apparently the bulk of Monolith Soft was helping on Zelda BOTW and another project, while Xenoblade 2 had a much smaller team(think they said like 40/100 worked on 2). If that other project is that fantasy game we saw with the girl in armor and the dragon, then it's possible that the team working on Xenoblade 2 could tackle XBCX2. Unless of course they just want to focus only on one project.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I want X on Switch, and then I want X 2. New city, new areas, more mecha please. That game is one of my GOTG.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll get a sequel, but only in the design and philosophy department, not narrative. Not sure why, but it feels like a lot of the questions left unanswered weren't meant to be directly answered in a normal sequel. I certainly want a sequel that builds on its design and themes. I'd be cool with a narrative continuation or a completely new story and cast.

I'm thinking that this is ultimately what will happen. It makes too much sense.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
This might be the best place to ask...What is so awesome about X? Or what is the difference between this game and the others?

I have no idea. I am planning on getting Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I have never played any of the Xenoblade games. Sorry to bother you guys.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Just make XCX Final Chapter for Switch. Final story chapter launches into an area where a nowm developed online multiplayer a la PSO makes sense narratively.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope so, as it's the best of the three games
I truly believe all of them have something better than the other

The original XC has the best story, XCX has the best exploration/world, and XC2 has the best combat in the series.

Overall though, I still think it is xc>2>x. Although 2 could also be on top of 1, hard pick.

A new game that kind of gets the best of all three games, expands on it, could also be amazing

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I don't care even if it's not RPG. Shooter, platformer, visual novel, dating sim, attorney sim, whatever, just complete the story. It was extremely inadequate an ending.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
This might be the best place to ask...What is so awesome about X? Or what is the difference between this game and the others?

I have no idea. I am planning on getting Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I have never played any of the Xenoblade games. Sorry to bother you guys.

I've only played the XC1, but my impression is that while XC1 & 2 are story-focused "wide linear" games, XCX is full blown open-world with much less emphasis on story.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
The selfish part of me hopes not, as I hate Xenoblade Chronicles X and would be sad to see Monolithsoft spend hears working on it rather than something else. It just felt like a lifeless husk of the original in an uninspired world with utterly forgettable characters. I vastly prefer the more fantasy-like setting of 1 and 2 to the hard Sci-Fi of X, as well.

However, I know that I'm in the minority on that- a bunch of people love X. And I also know the disappointment of forever unresolved cliffhangers. So, for that reason, I do hope one gets made. And I think it's a strong possibility, but only after X is ported to the Switch to give it better visibility.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017

Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are essentially linked, but we would be getting into spoiler territory on how they're linked.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is technically the second Xenoblade title (while 2 is the third and latest title), but it has very loose connections to XC and I guess XC2. XCX shares many elements of the numbered series, but it has a different story structure and a true open-world design.

I hope that clears it up for you. :)

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017

Honestly, it's my least favorite of the Xenoblade games. But if I had to guess, customization, sci-fi setting, mechs, and overall character movement (not gonna lie, feels good running and jumping in this world). As far as characters, music, story, and world goes tho, I'd give em to part 1 and 2. Each games have their ups and downs, like how X does field skills better than 2, but 2 does heart to heart and gameplay better than 1, and 1 does story better than 2 and X, etc. X is just my least favorite of them due to the cast, nothing to do in the world but fight enemies(no towns), and story not being a big focus. But still decent.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope so. I haven't lost hope yet tbh

Also they better bring back Sawano

I CAN'T HEAR YOU

I CAN'T SEE YOU

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I loved making alliances with all the different aliens in the game. I really hope they do revisit Mira someday, and add a few of them to your squad.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As a person that dropped this game in less than 10 hours I'd rather they keep making games like 1 and 2 than games like X.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no doubt there is another game in the works.

Right after they complete the victory lap of the additional story DLC and Rex's appearance in Swtich Smash Bros.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017

X is an open-world game unlike the much more linear numbered entries. The world itself is top notch, both from a visual and a level design perspective. Movement feels really good with fast running, high jumps, and no fall damage. The main story is... not that engaging, but the overall narrative is a fascinating tale of humanity struggling to survive in a brand new alien world. The way New LA builds up over the course of the game is amazing, both from the main story and the sidequests. The sidequests themselves are surprisingly well written and interesting, with both general tough problems everyone is facing and moral quandaries with choices that make a big difference narratively. There's tons of customization with your avatar, both visually and in the possible builds. Combat has a ton of interlocking mechanics that keep it engaging. Characters are just okay, but that mostly avoids being an issue because the game isn't about a plucky cast of adventurers, but society as a whole growing from the conflict. And of course, you fly around the entire world in giant mechs with no loading screens.

Of course there's also a ton of issues. Some of which I feel are fine and help build the game into a better experience ultimately (not allowing you to rush through the main story, locking off the mechs and then their flight modules for a long time, basic quests clearly labeled only for optional grinding), and some genuinely bad parts (party selection, RNG item collection, Skell insurance, too many obtuse mechanics, and more). It's a game that demands you be in the right mindset, but if you're in it, you'll get a fascinating experience that I'm not sure has an equal.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original X will always be a huge bundle of missed opportunity. Their planned story with Neo Tokyo and actual characters and everything sounded great. They scrapped it all for something much more boring and frankly almost nonexistent. The cliffhanger we got is only good because it's truthfully the first point in the game where the story was actually interesting... and then it was over.

The world and races of Mira are cool at least.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely, but not for a while. I feel like they would put off another X game until the successor to the Switch is coming, I don't know if it has enough power to up the ante in a suitable way

Nov 17, 2017
Release X on the Switch. Then release X 2 on the Switch and let us transfer save data over Mass Effect style to retain our avatar and the choices we made.

Have a time skip with an adult Lin, follow up on the mysteries left in the first game, let us explore more continents that were hinted at in concept art. Underwater exploration. More Xeno party members; a Wrothian, Ma-non, Orphian and Prone party member would be amazing. Tandem skells that use the synergy between two party members. Combiner skells?

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I fucking need X2!
I think it's not a very popular opinion, but X is my favorite game of the 3 games.
Chronicles is still a fantastic game. I'm close to the end of Chronicles 2 but X will still be my favorite in the end. I want my Skells, that setting / atmosphere and yes even a new Sawano soundtrack.
I need the story to continue. There were many mysteries unsolved.
Next time with more cinematic and epic cutscenes, like in Chronicles and Chronicles 2.

It will be godly :)

eggs_

Jan 10, 2018
The wind blows hard in December
Our last game, do you remember?
Counting the days, since we left
The plot threads are, hanging away

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
They better.

XCX ending with "Mira did it" would be super annoying. And TBH, a fine tuned XCX could easily be my favorite game ever. XCX wasn't, but the potential is there. An area as fun as Mira, with sidequests as fun, but with an actually decent main story and more work on characters would be godlike