• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
The chances would be more likely if they'll give it a Switch port and then it goes on to sell more than it did on the Wii U (or a generous amount)

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I don't expect a sequel any time soon. But I can totally see it happens on Switch's successor. They need more powerful platform to pull off a sequel to X.

Xeno X felt like a reimaging of Xenogears and Xenosaga.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
I think we probably will get some kind of "sequel" in the future. I'm just not sure if it will be a direct sequel like a lot of people want.

I think the most you can reasonably hope for is that the events of the first game tie in more directly than they did between Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, that the connection is made sooner, and that this leads to us learning more about the story and the world of the first game. But I think it would be similar to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in that the game starts out at least somewhat "separately" and mostly focuses on a different story before everything comes together.

But hey, who knows. Maybe we'll get a Xenoblade Chronicles X port on Switch, it sells amazingly well, and they get a lot more feedback asking specifically for a direct sequel and that's more in line with the route they want to go as well.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
They better.

XCX ending with "Mira did it" would be super annoying. And TBH, a fine tuned XCX could easily be my favorite game ever. XCX wasn't, but the potential is there. An area as fun as Mira, with sidequests as fun, but with an actually decent main story and more work on characters would be godlike
What the hell? I didn't expect unmarked spoilers here, assuming that's what that was.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would love it if they opt for a sequel. Those plotlines need to be warp up!

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
I rally hope so. Mira was one of the most interesting worlds I've explored in a game.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I really hope so. I haven't lost hope yet tbh

Also they better bring back Sawano

I CAN'T HEAR YOU

I CAN'T SEE YOU

Overall I liked the music Sawano did. It had amazing tracks, but some pretty horrid ones as well. XC music was more consistent but didn't achieve the highs of X. Although I do love Satorl Marsh at night .

Haven't played enough of 2 yet to form an opinion.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get one, because I loved exploring that planet, but somehow I doubt it.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need X on Switch and then I need a sequel. I don't get the complaints about the story honestly. If you skipped all of the side quests maybe it wasn't so great. The side characters and their side quests were interesting and really fleshed out the story. Love, love, love this game.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
They'll casually reference what happened after the credits in some static character convo screen in the unnanounced Xeno Warriors.

Spoiler: the entire thing was Tora's fan-fic, which explains Lin.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I really loved X and would be stoked to see it show up on the switch.

I don't think its a very simple proposition as I have posted before XCX would need to be a high effort port. Monolith would have to rebalance some of the combat/levelling system. Completely reimagine the affinity system, completely reedit the story to fold in some of the better affinity missions into the main path to allow more context.

Then there is a laundry list of quality of life changes that would massively improve the game to the average player.

Things like being able to switch your party from a menu, fast travel to party members/NPCs, a better quest log, passive income that banks miranium as money when you go over the storage limit. Easier to navigate menu's, better gear management, a collectopedia that allows you to find items in game without having to check wikipedia ect

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
I'm down for a sequel to X, but like others have stated, I need XCX on the switch first, if Nintendo wanted to, they could have a "new" Monolith soft game yearly on the switch for the next four years, 2018 XCX deluxe edition, 2019 XC remastered, 2020 Current Fantasy game they are working on, 2021 XCX 2

I would not mind this in the slightest.

maneauleau

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
The game has been critically acclaimed (84 on metacritic) but Wii U hindered its selling potential. We first need a Switch version to assess if X2 is something people want. I certainly want both

Sutarufosu

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'd like to see a Switch port first and then a sequel down the line. Another fantastic game!

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't mind a port with additional content and changes the development team and fans felt the game deserved. Time will tell I guess.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This story was wrapped up. If there is a sequel it will have either a big time-skip or a new cast with maybe a couple of cameos or 1 or 2 important recurring characters. X really did make it its point to say "this is just the backdrop: This story has no end in sight"

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Sequel would be awesome. I could also live with a Switch port with an added final chapter. And throw in some more mechs and customisation while they're at it.

But for god's sake, change those two tracks that play when you're in town. They're like 2mn long while qtill managing to be repetitive and irritating as hell, and I must have endured them for at least 30h in total, it's a nightmare.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't love or finish X, but it's setting and world contained so much promise for me. I would love to see them take another shot at it with the lessons they've learned, especially on some more powerful hardware.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Random question: I just finished chapter 5 in XBC 2, how much longer is this game?

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
They fucking better. They fucking better.

A proper XCX2 with Sawano OST and still in Mira would make me ignore the insane price tags involved and buy a Switch + Pro Controller so fucking fast in preparations.

Still playing XCX to this day, it's just that good.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually playing this game now. It's the third time I've tried to get into it after adoring the original Xenoblade Chronicles. I wanted to confirm whether X is a good game before moving onto Xenoblade 2... because I really had my doubts.

It turns out, there is a really amazing game buried in here if you're willing to invest the time. I'm really digging it this time, but my goodness does it have flaws! Nevertheless, they really created something special and I will see this one through to the end. So far, the story is one of the least enjoyable aspects of the game for me. The real draw is just the sheer freedom and difficulty posed by trying to navigate the gameworld, finish quests and fill-in the world map.

There is almost too much game here with all the mechanics, characters, and stuff you can tweak about your party. But the good thing is that it seems you can ignore some of the systems and just learn as you go rather than trying to come to grips with everything at once - that was the mistake I made the first two times I played it.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope so. I think I would prefer a different cast and continents though, but still on the same planet. Or maybe a prequel that indirectly answers the lingering questions and shows all the strewn about structures in their heyday.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Truth be told, I'm not hopeful for one, but I wish it did have one. The story felt like it was an introduction story to something bigger. The ending was just a massive punch to the stomach considering it basically just left you hanging. Plus, the gameplay in X is just better than XC1/2 - traversal is just so much more fun, and the side quests were much more interesting.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
latest

I appreciate XC2's character models more after this

Vector3

Mar 10, 2018
London
I'm glad you mentioned that the world of Xnoblade X was begging to be further explored because i totally agree, its not just the ending that has me wanting a sequel, its the tonne of extra story elements that were teased but never expanded on that has me so desperate to play more in that universe!

Clearly, their next project will be related to that fantastic looking concept art we saw a few months ago. All the evidence is lining up that Monolith Soft has been making something very new simultaneously with Xenoblade 2, probably more of an action game than what theyve made before.
I imagine it releases in 2019 or 2020 with yet another new game starting development simultaneously a few months before that releases. The game after next is what has a chance, neither super likely nor super unlikely, to be Xenoblade X. When Takahashi says he wants to do new stuff, he probably means gameplay, not setting. You can have a very different style game to Xenoblade X acting as direct and immediate sequel to it

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not sure. There was a ton of negativity around X so much so developers have cited they started XBC2 mid development of X to combat the problem.

I'm not the biggest fan of X. It's my least liked Xeno. I don't deny that, but I wouldn't be unwelcome to a follow up. The story can go in interesting directions. All they need to do is fix that and i'm alright.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I loved, XCX, I can't deny that XC1 and XC2 were ultimately better experiences overall, so if I had it my way I'd choose a XC3 over XCX2.

However, I'd still be excited to see an XCX2 revealed, as the world they created in XCX was stunning and the sense of exploration nearly unparalleled. Skells were also awesome and I want more of that. If they focused on a tighter narrative, better UI and quality of life improvements, a theoretical XCX2 could be incredible.

Nov 23, 2017
I doubt it, but I also bet we will get another Xeno- game with the same kind of themes and focus on technological transportation/combat. It just may not be a sequel or called X2. I feel like it's easy to fix the criticisms of X if they really wanted to. I really hope we get something at least sort of like it.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I've only played the XC1, but my impression is that while XC1 & 2 are story-focused "wide linear" games, XCX is full blown open-world with much less emphasis on story.

Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are essentially linked, but we would be getting into spoiler territory on how they're linked.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is technically the second Xenoblade title (while 2 is the third and latest title), but it has very loose connections to XC and I guess XC2. XCX shares many elements of the numbered series, but it has a different story structure and a true open-world design.

I hope that clears it up for you. :)

Honestly, it's my least favorite of the Xenoblade games. But if I had to guess, customization, sci-fi setting, mechs, and overall character movement (not gonna lie, feels good running and jumping in this world). As far as characters, music, story, and world goes tho, I'd give em to part 1 and 2. Each games have their ups and downs, like how X does field skills better than 2, but 2 does heart to heart and gameplay better than 1, and 1 does story better than 2 and X, etc. X is just my least favorite of them due to the cast, nothing to do in the world but fight enemies(no towns), and story not being a big focus. But still decent.

X is an open-world game unlike the much more linear numbered entries. The world itself is top notch, both from a visual and a level design perspective. Movement feels really good with fast running, high jumps, and no fall damage. The main story is... not that engaging, but the overall narrative is a fascinating tale of humanity struggling to survive in a brand new alien world. The way New LA builds up over the course of the game is amazing, both from the main story and the sidequests. The sidequests themselves are surprisingly well written and interesting, with both general tough problems everyone is facing and moral quandaries with choices that make a big difference narratively. There's tons of customization with your avatar, both visually and in the possible builds. Combat has a ton of interlocking mechanics that keep it engaging. Characters are just okay, but that mostly avoids being an issue because the game isn't about a plucky cast of adventurers, but society as a whole growing from the conflict. And of course, you fly around the entire world in giant mechs with no loading screens.

Of course there's also a ton of issues. Some of which I feel are fine and help build the game into a better experience ultimately (not allowing you to rush through the main story, locking off the mechs and then their flight modules for a long time, basic quests clearly labeled only for optional grinding), and some genuinely bad parts (party selection, RNG item collection, Skell insurance, too many obtuse mechanics, and more). It's a game that demands you be in the right mindset, but if you're in it, you'll get a fascinating experience that I'm not sure has an equal.

Thanks guys for these fantastic responses. You all have helped paint a clearer picture on what the differences are between XCX and XC2. Now I am really hoping that Nintendo ports XCX to the Switch :/

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It needs to happen.

X's ending leaves waaaay too many questions unanswered, I'm just expecting one at some point.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Heck, I'm surprised we got a port of Tropical Freeze before we did this given how many times they've hinted at it over the past year.

TBF, Tropical Freeze is probably an infinitely less complex game for the purposes of porting.

Xenoblade X had a ton of elements linked entirely to the GamePad screen that a Switch port would need to rebuild. Tropical Freeze turned off the GamePad screen.

Also, IMO, if there's ever an X-Switch or X2, it needs to be able to fulfill that original pitch of "Xenoblade Online" that the first gameplay trailers of X made it look like it was supposed to be - Otherwise, let's be honest, it has no reason to exist.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I'd like to fully explore the planet of Mira and beyond, with full intergalactic space exploration and no limitations. It's literally one of my dream games.