• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyzon Xin

Oct 25, 2017
I at least hope for a Switch Port. I loved the hell out of the game. I think it could be made into a nice loot type game as well with 4 player Co-op PSO style.

I loved the little missions where you played with others.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
It barely had a coherent story

Well, the game was never designed to be played solely for the main story. If you had done the entire collection of all the missions (main, side, and affinity), you'd realize that it does a good job of telling a coherent story of what the game is all about.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
A Switch Port would be great.

A collection with Xenoblade Chronicles and X would be even better!

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I doubt it, but I also bet we will get another Xeno- game with the same kind of themes and focus on technological transportation/combat. It just may not be a sequel or called X2. I feel like it's easy to fix the criticisms of X if they really wanted to. I really hope we get something at least sort of like it.
I don't think Takahashi will ever return to the theme and concept of Xenosaga which was the IP that killed his and his staff's confidence. Nintendo had to bring back Takahashi's confidence with Xenoblade.

As much as Xenosaga Part I sold decent the other parts were failures in Takahashi's career they bombed hard.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
XBX2 is not even plausible in 2020 if they are working on a new ambitious project with a medieval setting. They are looking for staff who have interest in Western entertainment.
Oh that's right. I keep forgetting about that project. Yep, well ports of the first two games are the best we can hope for Xenoblade in the near future. 2020/2021is probably the earliest that game you're referring to will release, so any more Xeno seems pretty far off.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played the XC1, but my impression is that while XC1 & 2 are story-focused "wide linear" games, XCX is full blown open-world with much less emphasis on story.
It isnt that X has less story, its that the many sidequests have a ton of story, so much infact that you'll literally be missing out on huge content by not doing them, like there are hidden aliens on the planet that if you find them in sidestories, will join NLA where you'll get more sidequests and neq armor and gear as Well.
Ofcourse there are also aliens that are your enemies like shapeshifting ones that kill people that you actually talk to in NLA and masquarade as them for who knows how long before you find out, thats how deep it goes bruh

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
XBX2 is not even plausible in 2020 if they are working on a new ambitious project with a medieval setting. They are looking for staff who have interest in Western entertainment.
Yeah, they really need to do something new at this point. The core battle system needs a break, and IMO, if TT is going to give us yet another iteration of the Xenogears story, he needs to go whole-hog like he did with Xenogears and Xenosaga. While the original Xenoblade 1 story was another good retelling, it's getting played out at this point.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
X is an open-world game unlike the much more linear numbered entries. The world itself is top notch, both from a visual and a level design perspective. Movement feels really good with fast running, high jumps, and no fall damage. The main story is... not that engaging, but the overall narrative is a fascinating tale of humanity struggling to survive in a brand new alien world. The way New LA builds up over the course of the game is amazing, both from the main story and the sidequests. The sidequests themselves are surprisingly well written and interesting, with both general tough problems everyone is facing and moral quandaries with choices that make a big difference narratively. There's tons of customization with your avatar, both visually and in the possible builds. Combat has a ton of interlocking mechanics that keep it engaging. Characters are just okay, but that mostly avoids being an issue because the game isn't about a plucky cast of adventurers, but society as a whole growing from the conflict. And of course, you fly around the entire world in giant mechs with no loading screens.

Of course there's also a ton of issues. Some of which I feel are fine and help build the game into a better experience ultimately (not allowing you to rush through the main story, locking off the mechs and then their flight modules for a long time, basic quests clearly labeled only for optional grinding), and some genuinely bad parts (party selection, RNG item collection, Skell insurance, too many obtuse mechanics, and more). It's a game that demands you be in the right mindset, but if you're in it, you'll get a fascinating experience that I'm not sure has an equal.
Skell insurance is the best tho

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
It isnt that X has less story, its that the many sidequests have a ton of story, so much infact that you'll literally be missing out on huge content by not doing them, like there are hidden aliens on the planet that if you find them in sidestories, will join NLA where you'll get more sidequests and neq armor and gear as Well.
Ofcourse there are also aliens that are your enemies like shapeshifting ones that kill people that you actually talk to in NLA and masquarade as them for who knows how long before you find out, thats how deep it goes bruh
That's the beauty of open-world design. The story is like an open book with pieces. You have the freedom to build your own story. Your character don't talk but he/she is intelligent enough to make choices and impact the story.

Coherent story is in the side-quests whereever you go in the world/galaxy.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the XC1, but my impression is that while XC1 & 2 are story-focused "wide linear" games, XCX is full blown open-world with much less emphasis on story.

This is pretty much the case with X. It's a good game, but not what I was looking for in a Xeno game which is usually mostly focused on Story.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
This is pretty much the case with X. It's a good game, but not what I was looking for in a Xeno game which is usually mostly focused on Story.
Japan Studio producer Teruyuki Toriyama doesn't agree with you. He was amazed by the concept of XBX.

"In the background that I'm a JRPG game designer from the ground up, I pay attention to the major works of JRPG as a first priority, but among them is vast open world where one planet of Xenoblade X can be adventureous in its entirety. I was impressed with thoughtful game design that I played.

This is an ambitious title that you can see the future of JRPG, built with the spirit and guts of the staff, so I'd like all JRPG fans to play it immediately."

If I even recall LocoRoco creator at GDC 2007 said he wanted to do something similar as he doesn't want to make games where you have direct control over the characters. But his setting was much different from XBX he had in his mind.

I'm all open for more games like this and Zelda BOTW. The side-quests flesh out the story.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
Japan Studio producer Teruyuki Toriyama doesn't agree with you. He was amazed by the concept of XBX.

"In the background that I'm a JRPG game designer from the ground up, I pay attention to the major works of JRPG as a first priority, but among them is vast open world where one planet of Xenoblade X can be adventureous in its entirety. I was impressed with thoughtful game design that I played.

This is an ambitious title that you can see the future of JRPG, built with the spirit and guts of the staff, so I'd like all JRPG fans to play it immediately."

If I even recall LocoRoco creator at GDC 2007 said he wanted to do something similar as he doesn't want to make games where you have direct control over the characters. But his setting was much different from XBX he had in his mind.

I'm all open for more games like this and Zelda BOTW. The side-quests flesh out the story.

The concept of X is brilliant. The execution just wasn't there for me, though. The story of all the other Xeno games are far more entertaining to me. The fact that I can barely remember any character or the story beats of X is not a good sign since I can all other Xeno games (my favorite series tbh). I appreciate what they were going for with X, but the story ended just when it was getting somewhat interesting, so my impression overall isn't great. It had good sidequests, though, yes and the world itself was fantastic.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
The concept of X is brilliant. The execution just wasn't there for me, though. The story of all the other Xeno games are far more entertaining to me. The fact that I can barely remember any character or the story beats of X is not a good sign since I can all other Xeno games (my favorite series tbh). I appreciate what they were going for with X, but the story ended just when it was getting somewhat interesting, so my impression overall isn't great. It had good sidequests, though, yes and the world itself was fantastic.
I think it's rather an issue of character choice/design/setting than the concept itself for you.

Like you said the concept of X is genius but the content didn't live up to it. Let's hope someone else does. Maybe in space next time.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope not. Really hated X compared to the other two Xenoblade games, so I'd be a bit bummed if MS was spending time making an X sequel.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

Spoilers dude.

Anyway it's not a traditionally presented linear JRPG story like XC1/2

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'm sure it'll get a Switch port.

They're supposed to be making an action RPG now aren't they? Maybe if X does extremely well on Switch they'll greenlight a sequel to be made after the new IP.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Most disappointing game i ever played, for me. XB1 was one of the best RPG's i ever played. One of the best games even. And XCX looked so good from the trailers, people kept insisting that there was no way the story would take a backseat. Ugh. I couldn't play further than 45 hours. Just got my Skells, hoping that would make the game better, but it didn't. Honestly, i'd rather have them putting the time and money towards a XC3. Or, they can add a true story mode to XCX and rerelease it the way i hoped it would have been from the start.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
Most disappointing game i ever played, for me. XB1 was one of the best RPG's i ever played. One of the best games even. And XCX looked so good from the trailers, people kept insisting that there was no way the story would take a backseat. Ugh. I couldn't play further than 45 hours. Just got my Skells, hoping that would make the game better, but it didn't. Honestly, i'd rather have them putting the time and money towards a XC3. Or, they can add a true story mode to XCX and rerelease it the way i hoped it would have been from the start.

I think one of the problems for me personally was my expectations. I was a hugeeee Xenoblade 1 fan, and from the first reveal trailer, I was soooo excited. But in my mind, I thought that last character they showed in the first trailer was Shulk, so my mind was going crazy thinking this was a sequel with the same type of awesome story. But that wasn't what I got, so.... yeah. :/ On the other hand, Xenoblade 2 was exactly what I was wanting.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the problems for me personally was my expectations. I was a hugeeee Xenoblade 1 fan, and from the first reveal trailer, I was soooo excited. But in my mind, I thought that last character they showed in the first trailer was Shulk, so my mind was going crazy thinking this was a sequel with the same type of awesome story. But that wasn't what I got, so.... yeah. :/ On the other hand, Xenoblade 2 was exactly what I was wanting.
It sure played a big part. Expectations were so high, but i just couldn't commit to the game and the game never really clicked for me. The repetitive NLA soundtrack also didn't help, and the fetch quests became tedious very fast.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
It sure played a big part. Expectations were so high, but i just couldn't commit to the game and the game never really clicked for me. The repetitive NLA soundtrack also didn't help, and the fetch quests became tedious very fast.

Yeah, I know some people love the soundtrack, but it just didn't feel very Xenoblade to me, in particular the awful NLA themes. On the other hand, Xenoblade 2 had an amazing soundtrack (imo). I actually did think the sidequests were decent, but I wasn't a fan of any of the ones that requested random items you get in areas (the blue orbs). Hated those.

eggs_

Jan 10, 2018
My uncle's niece works for Monolith Soft and i can confirm:

There will be a sequel, and Professor B will be a party member

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Monolith Soft just needs to give me XCX on Switch. It'd be an amazing game to play on the go. I could barely put it down when it first came out, put that on Switch and I'll be playing 24/7.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the mission based focus of the game, made all of New LA feel like a huge vibrant community.

The story was all over the place, but I feel there is room to grow if the developers understood that for a game like XCX, less is more.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I hope they rerelease X first before a sequel, and I think 2019 is a pretty good chance it will happen if not a surprise port in q4 2018. They can gauge more interest from the port sales if necessary. Hopefully X is 1080p on Switch.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I was originally going to make a new thread, but then I realized I already made this thread. Sorry for the bump!

Now that most people had time to digest Torna ~ The Golden Country, it's time to start thinking about the future.

In October 2017, Monolith Soft posted a recruitment update for a new RPG project by the Xenoblade team (headed by Takahashi). Assuming this is yet another entry in the Xenoblade series, do you think this upcoming project will be Xenoblade Chronicles X2?

First of all, we got some additional minor lore details via Elma in her recent appearance in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. She was also among the last of two DLC Blades to be released for the game. Could her appearance indicate that Monolith Soft are still interested in making a sequel?

Next, here's an excerpt from US Gamer's interview with Takahashi regarding the future of the series:

Though Takahashi says he's not yet ready to talk about what we might see in a future installment of Xenoblade Chronicles, I asked him if there's a chance the series will return to the harder science fiction setting we saw in Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U—i.e. will we return to exploring planets and piloting mechs instead of travelling on the backs of the huge, living Titans that define Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Takashi says it's possible, but a "third option" isn't off the table, either.

"I'm someone who gets bored of whatever it was I did last," he says. "If the [Xenoblade Chronicles] series continues, you just might see it take a third option. It might go down a path it hasn't gone down before."

Do note that the above interview actually predates the announcement of their new RPG project. If they decide to go with the third option, could it still be a continuation to X, just in a different format (not completely open-world, more story focus, etc.)

If the third option is something else entirely unrelated to Xenoblade Chronicles X, could we even expect to see a direct sequel down the line?

What are your thoughts, Era?

giphy.gif

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
With XC2 being the best selling game in the series, I think another Xeno game is a given, and it would probably tie into the X series and the Chronicles series. Although I def would prefer to be on Mira again and using a skell.
XC2 combat system+XCX world and exploration and skells+XC2 story and characters would be the best of the best

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Would love for a port of X first. Higher resolution and maybe a proper dynamic day night cycle for visual improvements and maybe an overhaul of the awful UI.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Each Xenoblade game has something it excels in compared to the others and I honestly feel if they take what each one excels at combines them together we could get the ultimate Xenoblade game.

Story XC1/2 + XC2 Combat + XCX World design and exploration.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I wish...

X was by far the best Xenoblade Chronicles games for me. And the ending really did leave an open door for a sequel.

Nov 17, 2017
Xenoblade X 2 is my most wanted sequel. I thought Xenoblade 2 was ok but after having time to settle on it I really did not like the direction they took the series with that game and hope that they go back to what they did with X next time. X is such a unique game, there needs to be more of it.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
My god I fucking hope so. Game of the generation and one of my favorite games of all time.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Maybe its Xenoblade 1 -> X->Xenoblade 2 -> new series -> X2 -> Xenoblade 3

But seriously Xenoblade X was not that popular/liked