• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. At least it will be up there.

Its my biggest disappointment in gaming and the worst Metal Gear.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I genuinely believe that the incomplete nature is overstated. The game is almost entirely about people being manipulated and not ever getting closure, so I always saw the ending as a feature rather than a bug. While it all was a result of studio meddling and a disintegration of the Kojima relationship, I think that V is pretty much a complete experience thematically and narratively. The delivery is not always perfect, but boy does it have shit to say and leaving you in the same spot as Venom at the end is pretty damn amazing as an ending to that game's narrative.

I really don't need to see the rest of the conflict play out, because we know where it is going and know that it's entirely a senseless cycle of escalation and wrongdoing, and people being pushed again into conflict by manipulators far disconnected from them. When the game ended I walked away really pleased due to that. I felt like the game perfectly communicated its message. Even after the conclusion to the series in 4, the lingering effects of these past events still would be felt.

Not that I think the game is perfect or anything, but I do appreciate it for being ambitious and having the chutzpah to do what it does. I suppose it's just a difference in perspective, but many people are mad that the game gives them a "phantom pain", but I'm glad to have that. I see that as a triumph. It's rare that games are willing to do that.

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
Nope, I felt the game had enough stuff in it I spent over 150 hrs playing. Story was abit thin for a MGS game but with the gameplay loop being so fun i couldn't care less but seeing the details of what would've been in Act 3 makes me wish Konami gave Kojima abit more time to finish it up

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Not at all. If the internet had not told me that the game is incomplete, I would have had literally no idea that's even the case.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I will remember it as the biggest disappointment in gaming history. It was really legendary in that regard. I vividly remember beating the game and I couldn't believe how shitty it was. My brother and a good friend were still playing and liking the game and they very really hyped about Act 2 after that awesome "trailer" in between the acts. I had a hard struggle to not spoil it for them. I couldn't wait that they finished it and both ended just as disappointed as I did. It truly is the Phantom Pain. What a shitshow.
My sentiments exactly. Literally the biggest hype I've ever had for a game in my entire life only to face the biggest disappointment upon release. The game is a turd.

Holy shit the wasted potential is insurmountable.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
No mans sky, sea of thieves, fallout 76 were pretty bad as well.

But this one...hit hard. You kind of figured those were a shitshow just watching streams. With MGSV however I didn't realize it wasn't finished until like almost the end. It was really disappointing because it played like a dream and was so fun.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is too unique a case for me to agree with this. It is complete in most areas, it seems like maps and story content are primarily what was cut/ not finished even though the shipped product is extremely polished.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I mean, Fallout 76 just came out, so no.

The game may have had a poor or unfinished narrative ending, but the core gameplay loop was fantastic. I put 72 hours into a Hideo Kojima game.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not the most incomplete game. I enjoyed the gameplay for what it was. I didn't really stealth as much doing missions. Sure, never experiencing chapter 3 was unfortunate, but the CE explained it in concept art what would have happened as best as it could.
FF15 is incomplete. That left a bitter taste in my mouth. So much shit was cut out. No, I couldn't enjoy it. The latter chapters were disjointed as fuck.
Haven't played Fallout 76, but from what I've seen and read, it tops them both. Incomplete game with literally no endgame. No carrot on the stick for the player.

Parabolee

Oct 27, 2017
211 hours... So, no.

I loved the story, and the twist. It feels too far between story parts but that is because the game asks you to play more of the actual gameplay than previous games. Although it is still probably the weakest story in the series, and yet the best gameplay.

My biggest complaint remains Snake being so mute. Although the story does just that.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Can we get a spoiler tag on that title? I haven't played the game and made it to the bolded part and bailed.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's a great game that could have been better, but what we got is pretty "complete".
You want an incomplete game, let's talk about things like that tennis game which launched last year literally incomplete.

youtubers need clicks man. I personally am no longer clicking stuff with titles or thumbnails like this.

But you see it in this thread too, saying it's the most disappointing game ever is patently absurd. Some games don't even work.
The YouTube video does not have the title the thread has. It just says "What happened with MGSV?"
Which is in no way clickbaity like the title of the thread is.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure about it bieng the most incomplete. But to me it'll always be the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced in the medium.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think as time goes by MGSV will go up in peoples minds, is it the most incompleate game released, maybe but there are many games that also fall into this, is it not the best game that came out of develoment hell?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved MGSV for the gameplay. It didn't feel incomplete to me as story is not the part I care about in that series. It just gets in the way.

retrocore9

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Clearly, they have not played Dark Void. What was there was fun, but in terms of story it basically had an Act I, and then a couple of random chapters from Act II and III, before finishing abruptly after defeating an end boss you only find out about during the opening narration for that final mission.

Off topic but Dark Void had so much potential. At least the soundtrack by Bear McCreery was fantastic and really one of the best game soundtracks to a game nobody played.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
There are definitely games that are way more incomplete. But this one hurts the most. It's one of my most dissapointing games.
The gameplay loop is incredible 10/10 stuff but even then I think it's stretched too thin with its missions.

The game lacks mostly in story and presentation, in characters to latch onto, and that's MGS' bread and butter. The game was way too reliant on dumping everything into cassette tapes. The climax does not feel like it builds up which was never a problem with MGS1-4, MGSV falls flat. Also that twist ending, felt stitched together, was maybe clever but not satisfying.

It's a game where the first 20 hours gave me the impression of greatest game of all time and then it's potential just slowly drops off a cliff. (also bosses were very dissapointing compared to MGS1-3)
FFXV is a way more of an incomplete mess but I'm not nearly as attached to that series, so it doesn't hurt as much.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm real happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 was the most incomplete game released by a lot.

Luckily, it was also an MMO so it was able to be saved in the form of an "expansion" that fully rebooted it into the successful title it is now

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I enjoyed the story it did tell, and it was pretty clear that it was unfinished for reasons outside of their control.

The gameplay was also amazing, so that certainly helped.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. The funny thing about this game is if Kojima just made MGS 5 be Act 1 with a couple of tweaks it would feel like a complete game and story

The public reception would also be much higher

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I was so confused when I found that Pas sidequest and then my confusion rose exponentially when I searched in vain for anything else like it on the base.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hyperbole around MGS V is silly. There are games where huge chunks of the story went AWOL. Where development conditions forced the developers to release a shadow of their ambition. You know, games like Soul Reaver.

Metal Gear Solid V is not one of those games. It simply is what it is. The game ends when you kill Skull Face. That's it. Everything else is post-game side content wrapping up some narrative threads. Chapter 2 is like Peace Walker's post-game. Chapter 3 is the nuclear disarmament ending.

Some people were so unwilling to accept the game's Far Cry 2 meets Mad Max 2 design direction that they wove elaborate conspiracy theories with little basis in reality.

WorldHero

Oct 27, 2017
As lifelong MGS fan, it stung like no other. Kinda surprised no legal ramifications came from this. It literally WAS NOT finished smh.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30151

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Since FFXV was named a lot of times. I played Vanilla-FFXV and I would call it complete when I look back at the story. Forget Versus-XIII and forget everything you saw until the name Nomura was gone from the trailers. Then, actually, you get the Final Fantasy XV which was advertised. You got a whole Prequel-Movie with Kingsglaive, you have the Interquel with Brotherhood and combine this with the journey you take on the in the main game. It has a great showdown with a great villain and an emotional ending.

Final Fantasy XV is like you watch a theatrical cut and you know, somehwere must be the Director's Cut. Since Square Enix pulled the plug on XV, it's hopeless we will ever see a Director's Cut (Tabata moved on too). You know something important is missing from XV, but it still feels not incomplete. They don't even had to extend chapter 14 or whatever it was. Even the DLC are not necessary to make the story feel more complete. The Prompto DLC raises even more questions. Episode Gladio is not important at all.

The problem with MGS V is, in comparison to Final Fantasy XV, MGS V don't have an ending. The game cuts off shortly before Chapter 2 ends. The improvised Epilogue is not a real mission, more a flashback which brings you back shortly before Chapter 2 ends when you finished playing the Epilogue, in other words, in brings you back where Huey Emmerich left off. Same goes for the Quiet mission if I remember correctly.

Again, this don't have anything to do with being hyperbole. It's jut interesting to get the most different opinions here. Nothing will ever change the fact that Metal Gear Solid V don't have an ending. The game concludes Character-Stories like the one from Venom Snake, Quiet and Skullface, but it didn't conclude the main story of the game.

Last edited:

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
It was bad and unifinished. I just rented it and returned it. Reminded me of boondocks season 4. I just felt bad even partaking it because clearly it's not what the creator wanted.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay loop was amazing.

Due to how light the story was I wasn't compelled to stick with it beyond when the gameplay loop started to wear thin for me which, according to steam, was 50 hours in.

That's pretty fucking amazing, actually. I have nothing but positive memories of the game.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
T
Since FFXV was named a lot of times. I played Vanilla-FFXV and I would call it complete when I look back at the story. Forget Versus-XIII and forget everything you saw until the name Nomura was gone from the trailers. Then, actually, you get the Final Fantasy XV which was advertised. You got a whole Prequel-Movie with Kingsglaive, you have the Interquel with Brotherhood and combine this with the journey you take on the in the main game. It has a great showdown with a great villain and an emotional ending.

Final Fantasy XV is like you watch a theatrical cut and you know, somehwere must be the Director's Cut. Since Square Enix pulled the plug on XV, it's hopeless we will ever see a Director's Cut (Tabata moved on too). You know something important is missing from XV, but it still feels not incomplete. They don't even had to extend chapter 14 or whatever it was. Even the DLC are not necessary to make the story feel more complete. The Prompto DLC raises even more questions. Episode Gladio is not important at all.

The problem with MGS V is, in comparison to Final Fantasy XV, MGS V don't have an ending. The game cuts off shortly before Chapter 2 ends. The improvised Epilogue is not a real mission, more a flashback which brings you back shortly before Chapter 2 ends when you finished playing the Epilogue, in other words, in brings you back where Huey Emmerich left off. Same goes for the Quiet mission if I remember correctly.

Again, this don't have anything to do with being hyperbole. It's jut interesting to get the most different opinions here. Nothing will ever change the fact that Metal Gear Solid V don't have an ending. The game concludes Character-Stories like the one from Venom Snake, Quiet and Skullface, but it didn't conclude the main story of the game.
The Death of Skull Face is the ending. That is the entire point of the game. It's why the game is called "The Phantom Pain". The truth that killing him doesn't make it go away. Chapter 2 is an epilogue. It is not some second half of the game. It is a post-game. A single side mission was removed from said post-game. It was not the game's "ending". It was simply one of several side missions wrapping up some plot points.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It's about 100% complete as far as gameplay system and polishing goes.

Story wise I don't see how it's less complete than something like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided which is about 60% of a story or The Order 1886 which is barely even a story at all.
How is Mankind Divided only 60% of the story?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Game seemed complete to me, if people hadn't been talking about it's "incompleteness" before I played it I wouldn't have even known.

Granted, I didn't really play the Act 2 stuff (or whatever Act it was after you finish the Skull face stuff), but everything up to the conclusion of the Skull Face storyline was pretty great IMO.

I can see a lot of fans of past MGS games stories being upset with the game, but I found the less on the story and more focus on gameplay to be really refreshing. And watching stuff on the very end of the game it seemed to tie into the Metal Gear series really smartly.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
No. MGSV is a product of kojimas hubris. That man had half a decade and an almost bottomless pocket book until the last year to make the game he wanted and the story he wanted to tell.

He spent that time poorly and choose a bland story told in the worst way because it was 'artistic'.

The game underneath was great and fairly complete. The issues with the story lay entirely at his feet.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's silly. People conflate the overarching Illuminati storyline over the actual prauge Human restoration Act/Aug terrorist group that was the main thrust of the game.
They see the teases that Jensen is a Manchurian candidate as not the teaser it is, but somehow proof the game was gutted.

Yes the scope of the game changed during development, but there is absolutely a full story there.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It is to me. Sure, at lot of other games feel more incomplete but I didn't really care about them as much in comparison. MGSV was the next big installment of a long running series I loved that promised a fulfilling story just as good and the previous games and we didn't get that at all. Although I still liked the game because its gameplay was incredible and I enjoyed it for over 100 hours, it's still by far the most disappointing game I've ever played.

I feel like people who think this either didn't play it or didn't care about the story in the first place. Mankind Divided is absolutely a full story, it just has a background narrative to lead it into the sequel. The new God of War does the same thing and it's odd to me that no one is complaining about that and yet Mankind Divided got a lot of shit for it.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From the games I have played it "feels" like the most incomplete AAA game I have ever played. Probably not the most, though. Like all throughout my playthrough I couldn't get passed the feeling that there is some really important stuff missing here.
Perfectly summarizes my feelings as well here. Gameplay was sublime but story was a complete mess even by kojima standards.

vid

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 27, 2017
I will remember MGSV as bering VERY complete. It tells the story of MGSV while also properly closing the loop on the entire Metal Gear series.

Yeah, everyone says they want Mission 51, but why?
Eli and Mantis leaving with Sahelanthropus and disappearing from MGSV
is a much stronger lead-in to MGS1 than having the game end on just another giant robot boss fight. Ending the game with the cutscene where
the truth about Venom and Big Boss is revealed
and then leaving you with the tapes to determine
Zero's
place in all of this? Absolutely fantastic. A strong new character in the Metal Gear universe. A betrayal of expectations. A tight sewing up of remaining loose ends in the continuity.

MGSV wasn't perfect by any means, but to call it "the most incomplete" anything is unfair to how solid the game is on it's own and as a final entry in the Metal Gear universe.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Big Rigs they haven't even coded in collisions, AI movement, music, physics and some of the content was making the game crash on day 1. It was some sort of work in progress several months away from a presentable state that was somehow shipped. People mentioning MGSV or Fallout 76 clearly have it good, I even played Big Rigs and... yikes.