• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Do Federer and Djokovic not like each other very much?

They're just not embracing the moment that much.

Edit: OK that's a bit more like it.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
That said, there's still "'positive": he went to another grand slam final, he did have lot of opportunities to take the lead, two match points in a 5th set... against the best of the moment. Given what he did on this Wimbledon, I can still hope for good things.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Lol y'all sad for Federer with his 20 grand slams

"Haunted forever"

I agree with this. As a massive Federer fan, this doesn't begin to rank alongside his most devastating losses for me. Every match he's able to win at nearly 38 years old is a minor miracle and I was simply impressed by how well he contended today.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
This happened to Fed twice in a row at the USO SFs in 2010 and 11. 40-15 up and choked. But for it to happen again many years later in Wimbledon. DEAD

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad for Federer, but he went 5 hours at 37 against another GOAT and almost won. Like, even he seemed pretty muted after the match.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy Federer is going to get passed by Nadal and DJ in grand slams when everything is all said and done. The GOAT era
It comes and goes quickly. I wouldn't pencil in either guy for 21 just yet.

Nadal is closer so I would guess he is the better bet since he is the king, emperor, and everything in between on clay. I would have thought he would have slowed down by now, but maybe he will just continue to win for the next 10 years.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Well Nadal and Djok are younger, not part of the same era. Federer stands alone as the GOAT, he's played with a handicap for years now
That doesn't make much sense since Federer also won the majority of his grands when they were both young and experienced so you can hardly count that against them. Ultimately who wine the most grand slams is the only thing any of them care about.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
Can you imagine the first slam after all 3 are retired. The least deserving slam win in 20+ years.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I don't like about Djokovic is what a terrible actor he is.

He knows he's that good, and he slips into this "What did I just do golly gee whiz." mode when he pulls off these miraculous shots.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Maybe an American male will win a slam in the next decade.

Weird because tennis is quite lucrative for top players; unclear as to why the US hasn't been able to produce good all-round players since Roddick (who in a normal situation would have likely won a handful of slams). You can earn a lot through tournament winnings + sponsorships/worldwide visibility.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Well Nadal and Djok are younger, not part of the same era. Federer stands alone as the GOAT, he's played with a handicap for years now
Yeah I'm going to have disagree. Losing record against both in title matches (and Murray) and had that period of winning where he didn't have to play them.

Oct 25, 2017
It comes and goes quickly. I wouldn't pencil in either guy for 21 just yet.

Nadal is closer so I would guess he is the better bet since he is the king, emperor, and everything in between on clay. I would have thought he would have slowed down by now, but maybe he will just continue to win for the next 10 years.

I can see Nole winning three slams a year for a few years to come to be honest. I mean, he won 5 of the last 7 slams, right?

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
tbf, the young players in Djokovic and Nadal's era are hardly any better than those during Federer's peak. I don't think we'll ever have a definitive GOAT (nor would it really be fair to either of the 3 to suggest there is one). It would be easier to judge if they were all the same age. That Federer at 38 was a point away from besting this Djokovic is a testament to how comparable in quality the big three are.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Nole winning three slams a year for a few years to come to be honest.
Its very dangerous to assume current form will continue for any length of time in sports.

What you guessed could very well come to pass.

But its also just as likely this is his last win ever. It comes and goes very quickly in sports.

Look at every champion in any sport. When they win people keep foreseeing them winning at the same pace far longer than they actually do.

But then again Nadal is still untouchable at Wimbledon and Federer had his moment two when he was past his prime so I wouldn't count Joker or Nadal out because the normal rules of tennis don't apply to any of them.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Of the big 3, Federer is definitely the biggest talent and has the highest roof, but he's the weakest mentally. Even if you don't consider today's loss he has choked away huge matches against a variety of opponents. Fans know he has a terrible BP conversion rate. The reason he sits at 20 and still is a top 3 player today is that he's so damn talented.

Djokovic is the most stable of the 3 and has the best mental game. There is a reason why he keeps winning 5 set epics.

Oct 25, 2017
Its very dangerous to assume current form will continue for any length of time in sports.

But its also just as likely this is his last win ever. It comes and goes very quickly in sports.

Look at every champion in any sport. When they win people keep foreseeing them winning at the same pace far longer than they actually do.

But then again Nadal is still untouchable at Wimbledon and Federer had his moment two when he was past his prime so I wouldn't count Joker or Nadal out because the normal rules of tennis don't apply to any of them.

I mean, there is no one on the horizon to really threaten them and it's not like Nole and Rafa are ancient.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Go to tennis matches. People are not rooting for him. Few if any of the other players like him. It's not a take.

I've never heard about other players not liking him but watching him on TV as a casual fan, he comes off as this Ivan Drago-like player that must be toppled. I know he's not like that, though because I've followed tennis on and off for a long time.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Go to tennis matches. People are not rooting for him. Few if any of the other players like him. It's not a take.

I'd like to know your sources on that one, because that runs contrary to what I've been told from people in the know.

As for crowds it varies. Fed is a crowd favourite, especially at Wimby, but outside of that Djokovic is generally liked, and funny when he does his impressions of other players.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Kind of amazing how their bodies have held up and they have bounced back from non-minor injuries.

Nadal in particular. Dude seems like he should be toast with all the leg related injuries and his style of play.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
tbf, the young players in Djokovic and Nadal's era are hardly any better than those during Federer's peak. I don't think we'll ever have a definitive GOAT (nor would it really be fair to either of the 3 to suggest there is one). It would be easier to judge if they were all the same age. That Federer at 38 was a point away from besting this Djokovic is a testament to how comparable in quality the big three are.

But Federer didn't have to contend consistently against Djoker, Nadal and Murray for the majority of his slam wins.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017

Excluding Thiem on clay, the youngsters are weak as hell.