• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Federer has some sort of mental block at this stage of his career. Either that or Djokovic just enjoys fucking with him.

Two match points lost.

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to know your sources on that one, because that runs contrary to what I've been told from people in the know.

As for crowds it varies. Fed is a crowd favourite, especially at Wimby, but outside of that Djokovic is generally liked, and funny when he does his impressions of other players.

I was at his first round match at RG this year and the crowd was actively rooting against him from the start.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Federer didn't have to contend consistently against Djoker, Nadal and Murray for the majority of his slam wins.
and nadal, djokovic and murray did not have to contend consistently with all-time greats 5-10 years younger than they are.

nadal won his first slam two years after federer, djokovic won his first slam three years after that. where is their younger competition now, eleven years later?

you can basically spin it anyway that suits your agenda. let's just all agree that federer is the greatest and never speak of this again.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
and nadal, djokovic and murray did not have to contend consistently with all-time greats 5-10 years younger than they are.

nadal won his first slam two years after federer, djokovic won his first slam three years after that. where is their younger competition now, eleven years later?
If they were all the same age and came through at the same time Nadal and Djokovic would already have more Slams than him.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
But Federer didn't have to contend consistently against Djoker, Nadal and Murray for the majority of his slam wins.

A good portion of Djokovic' wins came against a very weak Nadal and old Federer in 2015-2016. We can do this all day. If you want to claim Djokovic as undisputed GOAT, go ahead, but the suggestion that all three have equitable careers is not at all a controversial one.

Also, what John Dunbar said.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I think guys like Roddick, Nalbandian and Safin are all better than what.... Nishikori? Zverev? A bunch of mugs not even worth mentioning? The only truly great one to come after Djokovic was Del Potro and sadly he has been injured half his career.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

you can basically spin it anyway that suits your agenda. let's just all agree that federer is the greatest and never speak of this again.
Right now he is. That may change in 5 years depending on how many more titles Nadal/Djokovic rack up, we'll see

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I was at his first round match at RG this year and the crowd was actively rooting against him from the start.

But that's the French people. They initially hated Nadal, and look how they came around eventually... I think for a lot of fans, who either like Nadal or Federer, their dislike of Djokovic is primarily due to the fact that he came later on the scene (c. 2010), and is threatening their status as No. 1a/1b of tennis.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

That doesn't really matter at all to the point. The younger players are irrelevant when for the past 20 years almost, the open era has been dominated by 4 players and not having to face against them in their peak makes a huge difference.

I mean Nadal beat Federer at his peak on grass in that legendary match so you can hardly say age was the is sole determining factor between them all.

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
But that's the French people. They initially hated Nadal, and look how they came around eventually... I think for a lot of fans, who either like Nadal or Federer, their dislike of Djokovic is primarily due to the fact that he came later on the scene (c. 2010), and is threatening their status as No. 1a/1b of tennis.

So you are agreeing with me that people don't like him?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
lol Djoker bringing his kid out onto the balcony to try to get some cheers

I'VE BEEN FUCKING TOO

giphy.gif

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Two missed matchpoints on his own serve, three tie-breaks lost and two unused breakpoints at 11:11. :-(

Nevertheless I think that he played a great final. Probably even better than 2017 when he won against Cilic.
I think he's in great shape physically and could play his best US Open since 2015.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
Federer will always be the favorite in a final no matter where he plays and who he plays against. Remember in 2011 RG the french booed Nadal for daring to take the first set after Fed was 5-2 up.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Federer was better than Djokovic in all statistical areas EXCEPT unforced errors. That turned out to be the difference. Those shanks.

vj8w9oek8ba31.jpg

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

That's irrelevant. Most of the time, they had to go through each other to make it to the final and win. Whereas Federer didn't have that obstacle in the 2000s (except Nadal at the FO). This literally is unarguable.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Two missed matchpoints on his own serve, three tie-breaks lost and two unused breakpoints at 11:11. :-(

Nevertheless I think that he played a great final. Probably even better than 2017 when he won against Cilic.
I think he's in great shape physically and could play his best US Open since 2015.

The two BPs at 11-11 weren't a huge loss. Djokovic hit a first serve on both and killed the point. Not that much he could have done. The 40-15 though will go down in history.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
When you see Nadal on court it's easy to dislike him, but in interviews he's a very humble and nice guy.

I'm only rooting for Djokovic when he's playing against Murray.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
A good portion of Djokovic' wins came against a very weak Nadal and old Federer in 2015-2016. We can do this all day. If you want to claim Djokovic as undisputed GOAT, go ahead, but the suggestion that all three have equitable careers is not at all a controversial one.

Also, what John Dunbar said.

Old Federer? He was 32-33 in 2015-16. Same age Djokovic is now. Is Djokovic Old Djokovic now? I think Nadal and Djokovic proved you can still win titles in your early 30s (i.e., Federer isn't an outlier here).

Besides, Djokovic's most dominant seasons (two of which are amongst the most dominant of all time) occurred when Nadal, Murray were in the middle of their prime, and Federer was at the end of it (i.e., 2011, 2012 and 2015).

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, was Jordan not great because Ewing, Barkley, Malone, Reggie Miller, etc. never won anything? Does that mean Jordan never had "meaningful" competition?

It's ironic to think that if the "big 3" were worse and actually let other players beat them, that some people would think they were better because they had more competition.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Right now he is. That may change in 5 years depending on how many more titles Nadal/Djokovic rack up, we'll see

In my mind, it's still debatable (as in you can make a case for others) even if they all retired today, though his case would be the strongest given his slam record. He has a losing record against Djokovic and Nadal, and his peak "Elo" rating is lower than that of Nadal and Federer. His consistency has been remarkable though (over nearly 2 decades) and he's still in decent physical shape at 38.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
We all know djoker let roger win games so they could get to the historic 12-12 breaker. I mean everyone predicted this outcome heh

He wanted this to be in the conversation with the nadal and roddick matches as opposed to him beating an old man ;)

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The thing I notice about Federer is that on big points he seems very tentative and tends to run up to the net. He loses a lot of those points (and wins many of them as well).

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
So you are agreeing with me that people don't like him?

I don't know about not liking him... the crowds are rowdy and quite partisan at Roland Garros. They were relatively OK with him this year, as far as I remember. I guess it depends who he plays against. If it's like playing Roger, Nadal or a French player, then the crowd would typically turn on him.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Federer was one good serve away from beating Nadal and Djokovic consecutively. Pretty incredible... if it had happened I would have total peace with him retiring lol.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Federer may be the greatest ever in terms of talent but Djokovic has the edge mentally on almost everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, was Jordan not great because Ewing, Barkley, Malone, Reggie Miller, etc. never won anything? Does that mean Jordan never had "meaningful" competition?

It's ironic to think that if the "big 3" were worse and actually let other players beat them, that some people would think they were better because they had more competition.
Happens all the time in sports. In the MLB or NFL, people see tighter races for first as better divisions when its more likely the teams in that division are all pretty bad equally. NL Central and East right now for example.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Djokovic is like a walking Rocky montage or one of those Punch Out rematch videos. It's like he fed on the energy of his earlier losses to make himself unstoppable.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Old Federer? He was 32-33 in 2015-16. Same age Djokovic is now. Is Djokovic Old Djokovic now? I think Nadal and Djokovic proved you can still win titles in your early 30s (i.e., Federer isn't an outlier here).

Besides, Djokovic's most dominant seasons (two of which are amongst the most dominant of all time) occurred when Nadal, Murray were in the middle of their prime, and Federer was at the end of it (i.e., 2011, 2012 and 2015).

I certainly don't agree with some of those points (Federer was past his prime imo, Murray's prime still involved him being all over the place, etc...), but it doesn't necessarily matter since all we're both seemingly saying is that the GOAT debate is an arguable one. As is, there are data points that fans of each player can use to claim one of them the GOAT and currently there are a bit more for Federer, imo (Of course, that can change in the future).

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic all need to become coaches when they retire so we can get some of the current talent up to par.