• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I could never trust someone who still uses Winamp in the year of our lord 2018.

It's like still watching VHS. It's the first step in being fucking old and 'not with it' anymore. Next thing you know you're facetiming your kids to ask them to explain how to install a printer and when you show them the box you actually bought a paper shredder. Friends don't let other friends keep using Winamp.

Some of us were never with it, though.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Successfully building my first Winamp skin was one of the highlights of my teenage years.

FILbL2U.gif
I also enjoyed making WinAmp skins ha ha.

Submitted a badly drawn in MS Paint Stick Figure skin where they were being tutored (stick death was all the rage back then) i.e. the EQ slider involved pulled the heads off of some figures at the bottom complete with blood trails. The mod comment was "Approved... we think" ha ha, which was a highlight since usually they just posted them up with the generic "approved" comment. Just so I don't sound too depraved, another skin of mine was just SMB3 themed.

A pity those files are long gone.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Winamp 2.95 (or something like that) with a lyrics plugin was my jam back in the Kazaa Lite/Rapidshare days. For some reason I could never get into Winamp 3 or 5, so I kept using 2.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Still using Winamp every day :-D

Just searched the web for my old homemade Winamp skin.. last time i looked, 5 years ago, i found it.. but now it's gone :-O
wasn't anything special, but still, called cpu-amp, had a little chip instead of the lightning logo, pretty ugly :-P

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I never really used Winamp for anything other than chiptune emulation (which I haven't done since game music became prevalent on YouTube). It's nice and compact, but it had some weird bugs and interface oddities.

After Windows Media Player started getting bloated, I switched to Media Player Classic, which has a super clean interface and high (but not universal, alas) compatibility. Many people swear by VLC, but I find it harder to configure and not quite as responsive as MPC.

My only real problem now is that MPC has stopped major updates, and nobody has volunteered to continue...

P.S. Later versions of Winamp changed the intro to "Llama tested, mother approved."

Use MPC-BE, a fork of MPC-HC which that is very much still in development.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Winamp has always been my music player of choice. Winamp fo life!

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
From the link:
"What I see today is you have to jump from one player to another player or aggregator if you want to listen to a radio station, to a podcast player if you want to listen to a podcast — this, to me, is not the final experience," he explained. It's all audio, and it's all searchable in one fashion or another. So why isn't it all in one place?

The planned version of Winamp for iOS and Android will be that place, Saboundjian claims. On desktop, "the war is over," he said, and between the likes of iTunes and web apps, there's not much room to squeeze in. But mobile audio is fractured and inconvenient.

That . . . . actually is a pretty good selling point. I hope it stays lightweight and customizable for mobile.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Love how many here are still using it. Me as well, have it open right NOW.
Always loved how lightweight and non-BS Winamp is, I mean just the ItunesHelper.exe to connect your ipod alone takes up as much RAM as my whole instance of Winamp.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I use winamp for the plugins that let me play my video game music. There must be dozens of us.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I could never trust someone who still uses Winamp in the year of our lord 2018.

It's like still watching VHS. It's the first step in being fucking old and 'not with it' anymore. Next thing you know you're facetiming your kids to ask them to explain how to install a printer and when you show them the box you actually bought a paper shredder. Friends don't let other friends keep using Winamp.
It still plays all my music just as well as other player why would I change.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I use Winamp on my 27 inch imac flashed to Windows 10,but it doesn't scale properly on my Surface Pro. :( if it did I would use it unilaterally.

Love it for making mixes and play lists. Simple fast, and easy.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
"Gif spamming" is when the same gif is posted multiple times in succession, often by a single user or as a coordinated effort by multiple users.

In case anyone was wondering.

cjkeats

Oct 27, 2017
S. John's, NL Canada
I was at a bar this summer and I could see a PC set up behind the bar to run the music it was running it off winamp.

I loved winamp, but I haven't had music that wasn't from a streaming service since Rdio was a thing.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I stopped using winamp ever since Youtube let me use playlists...

And then Spotify/Pandora came and I got rid of it. Now I only use iTunes and my phone.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Am I missing something? There's clearly an option for replaygain (album, track, etc.) under DSP.
Yes, it can use replaygain if it's in the metadata of the audio file. But it can't calculate the replaygain data to write it into the metadata in the first place, I would need another program for this and do it manually. Winamp, Foobar, MusicBee all can do this.