• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Not really feeling the screenshots, but seeing a game in motion might sell it. We getting any other info here or we stuck with just the trailer and a few screens for now?

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, amazing. I picked up Windjammers for $1.50 a few weeks ago and just got the platinum trophy. the game is stupid fun, but there seemingly was like a handfull of people playing it as online matchmaking either mostly couldn't find anyone or would
repeatedly match me up against the same people. but whatever, game is fun as hell. could definitely see it being a playstation + free game as it desperately needs to expand its audience and it's easy to enjoy/hard to master once it gets its hooks in you.

the concept of there being a windjammers 2 has lrft me
gobsmacked this morning.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Want to see it in motion, the effects don't look so hot, but maybe when it's all animated it looks better. I don't mind it if it's not pixel art.

Oct 29, 2017
First two screenshots of gameplay :
DlC60lrX0AAYmjY.jpg
DlC60hfX4AEUr55.jpg

Looks promising, but it all comes down to how it animates.

The animation in the trailer looked superb, so I have a good feeling about this :)

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that surprising that they are focusing on PC and Switch for the initial release. With all of the news of Monster boy and other indies doing very well on Switch it is a good move to focus on that and release on other platforms later.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
If it's not Data East / SNK working on it, is there much cause for excitement? I'd have to see who's working on it and what their passion is before I can get excited.

That and gameplay.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, no PS4? Interesting. Are they preempting the 'Switch Windjammers outsells PS4 version 3-to-1' news stories?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I like the art style, but they really have to nail the movement and physics!

Also I can't really tell if these are 3D player models (good) or more flash style animated models (bad).
Maybe we'll get options to turn effects off to have a less cluttered screen.

Excited to see it in motion!

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the animation is good. Sucks that it's not the same pixel graphics as the original Windjammers.

At the very least DotEmu, please add GGPO netcode to the game.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First two screenshots of gameplay :
DlC60lrX0AAYmjY.jpg
DlC60hfX4AEUr55.jpg

Don't mind the lack of pixel art, but yeah, don't like the artstyle. Not gonna lie, I wish they had a Japanese art director, or at least someone who adhered more to the visual style of the original game.

We'll see how it animates, if it looks as busy and cheap as it does here, and most of all, how it plays and what it adds to the formula, but I'll keep my expectations firmly in check for now. The fact is, Windjammers 1 was an arcade game with the kind of budget you'd expect (though I'm sure it wasn't as costly as a Metal Slug or a King of Fighters), while WJ2 is an indie title, and the game will probably suffer in some way as a result. I wonder if they managed to get one or two people from the original team at Data East to get on board. I doubt it, but it would be cool and reassuring. Hopefully I'm just being a Negative Nancy and I'll be proven thoroughly wrong :).

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Animations in game have to be SMOOTH.

I'll reserve judgement until we see it in motion, but I'm cautiously pessimistic after seeing those screenshots.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If it's not Data East / SNK working on it, is there much cause for excitement? I'd have to see who's working on it and what their passion is before I can get excited.

That and gameplay.
SNK didn't work on the original and Data East has been dead for over a decade now. There are some Data East vets at the license holder now (Paon) but I'm not sure if it's anyone who worked on the original WJ.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oops, Dotemu was just the publisher, not the developer of Wonder Boy (That would be Lizardcube). Sorry to get your hopes up.

Yeah, also, the art in that game looks nothing like the art in WJ2. It's not the same artist behind it. And the animation in Wonderboy's gameplay is better than the animation in WJ2's trailer lol.

But again, we'll see. No use speculating too much before seeing actual footage.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Stealth port begging for a Switch thread. What a twist! lol

OT: super happy to read this news!!