• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much port begging in here, lol.

Anyway, I, uh- I guess this is a thing now. Not a thing I ever expected would happen, but hey. Gonna get the first one later today to see what I have been missing.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i love the artstyle they went with. hope the gameplay will be good too.
thank god this is coming to steam

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
No reason not to be on the every platform except they got money for console exclusivity.

Afaik Nintendo don't moneyhat indies, but they help them release these games quickly on their platform, and sometimes they do marketing for them so that could be a reason.

But keep in mind that nowadays these two are the most popular platforms for indies, so saying "it will come here first" could be used as a selling point.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
There is no way this is the sequel to the windjammers I'm thinking of.

Air hockey X super powered frisbee flinging psychos.

Probably some stupid obscure game I never heard of which will only lead to disappointment....

*Checks*

Oh shit.

Oh it's on, let's go Gary!

USA USA USA USA

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Wow awesome. Though since it scratches the same itch as Mario Tennis, I'm not sure I'll play both. I'll have to pick the better of the two.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome that this is happening, but I certainly question releasing it only on the console with the smallest playerbase. It is hard enough to find a match on the PS4 version even with the recent sale. This game should be the poster child for needing cross-platform play ASAP or it will die off quickly.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I love the aesthetic in the trailer, but it's probably too much to ask for sprite work in 2018/2019.

wait... there a gameplay trailer?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Never heard of Windjammers before this so I had to do a bit of research. (My brain was confusing it with Skyblazers for some reason.)

I love seeing games get sequels over 20 years after the fact, that's always cool.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
First two screenshots of gameplay :
DlC60lrX0AAYmjY.jpg
DlC60hfX4AEUr55.jpg

giphy.gif

Honestly not sure how to feel about this. Hyped that we're getting a sequel, but this is not the art style I was hoping for. Can't quite put my finger on what looks off about it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, those screens/style look better than I expected.

It looks clean and colorful and they emulated the overall layout well.

Could have been way worse.

Apr 21, 2018
giphy.gif

Honestly not sure how to feel about this. Hyped that we're getting a sequel, but this is not the art style I was hoping for. Can't quite put my finger on what looks off about it.

Hard to tell from screens. If they pull off slick animation and responsive controls, it could work. But yeah, I agree, something smells a bit 'mobile-game' to me from those screen shots.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So Disc Jam was kind of a spiritual successor?
No, Disc Jam missed 99% of the quality. It was too poor in terms of gameplay, music and visuals to qualify as spiritual successor.
DlC60lrX0AAYmjY.jpg
DlC60hfX4AEUr55.jpg
I'd prefer some great pixel art. I have to see it in motion, but at first sight I don't like the art style, feels too western and I prefer it being more Japanese. Too much dark stuff, I'd make something more colorful and bright instead, as the original one. In addition to this, the people in the upper side of the images outside the right seem wrong, a mixture of feeling too flat and having a wrong perspective.

Let's hope they improve it a lot and that feels way better in motion. I always wanted to see a Windjammers 2 and it would be a shame that they miss the oportunity and ends being some ugly stuff like Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

I loved the trailer animation, so who knows.

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I love the aesthetic in the trailer, but it's probably too much to ask for sprite work in 2018/2019.

wait... there a gameplay trailer?

Like 80% of the indie games out there?
Are people living under a rock?

I love that is handrawn intead of pixelart. Lets hope it animates well, thats the real question here.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Having played Disc Jam and Windjammers, I hope Windjammers 2 has a 2v2 mode and options to play by Disc Jam rules (every trade is worth 1 point, leading to higher and higher stakes).

Disc Jam's method of scoring was just really, really fun.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DlC60lrX0AAYmjY.jpg
DlC60hfX4AEUr55.jpg

Looks like hand-animated 2D characters.

I came.

Like 80% of the indie games out there?
Are people living under a rock?

I love that is handrawn intead of pixelart. Lets hope it animates well, thats the real question here.
The actual character drawings are great and avoid the "vector art" cheapness. The frisbee and effects not so much.

Still, i think in motion it's going to look great.

is this game really that good to be worth portbeg for?
Well, the original is.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome that this is happening, but I certainly question releasing it only on the console with the smallest playerbase. It is hard enough to find a match on the PS4 version even with the recent sale. This game should be the poster child for needing cross-platform play ASAP or it will die off quickly.
I have a feeling the game will be ported to other consoles later.

PC + Switch initially, PS4 and XB1 after. Not every developer can manage 4 versions for the same release date.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
A pleasant surprise! I definitely haven't much cared for the games inspired by it... part of what makes Windjammers work is the aesthetic that was well understood and explored by the time of it's release. People really knew how to tap into that awesomely bright future-retro style, and it was a confident presentation. Things like Discjam do pretty much what I feel from almost any game with "craft" and customization systems now-a-days; they lack a lot of coherence, and feel as if they want the player to make their own identity, rather than provide a well-made one themselves.

This sequel here already feels like it has an identity, and it's definitely a certain interpretation of the original game. Will it be as solid? will it animate beautifully? Will it feel cheap? Guess we'll find out...

Like most have said here, the screens leave me not confident either way, so far. It could work...

No Data East, no Windjammers 2.

You people are giving DotEmu too much credit.

I can give them the benefit of the doubt so far, but, yeah... this early one, I want to hear them name drop original dev consultation, character designer names, and nerdy tech-specs. So far, just the fact they're able to call it a direct sequel has me slightly optimistic.

Eh, actually, a decades-old game being able to achieve some kind of modern success thanks to a few small ports, speaks the opposite to me. Let them focus on making the game the best it can be, first. Getting it out and getting it right will help it get ports later. If Nintendo is willing to help fund them for a year of exclusivity, or similar, then fine.

It really seems like we're getting to a point where games are so expensive to make right, that doing that first, and then releasing to new platforms after it's settled, is a viable strategy. As is releasing later with additional content.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
So I see some people wary about DotEmu developing it.

I have more faith in DotEmu making something new than properly porting/emulating anything.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
So I see some people wary about DotEmu developing it.

I have more faith in DotEmu making something new than properly porting/emulating anything.

This is like trusting they can build a house when they can't even make a model made of legos.

Last game of them I tried was the port of Last Blade in Steam, the framerate is wrong, the game keeps skipping frames and its not smooth to play. Let's not even talk about the Irem or Raiden collections. None of these games were ever fixed.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
This is like trusting they can build a house when they can't even make a model made of legos.

Last game of them I tried was the port of Last Blade in Steam, the framerate is wrong, the game keeps skipping frames and its not smooth to play. Let's not even talk about the Irem or Raiden collections. None of these games were ever fixed.
Yeah, the Raiden Legacy collection is an absolute travesty. They even made two versions of the collection and they were both fucked.